Peep mirrors....luv 'em or hate them?

Summershandy

When I took my '54 Pontiac out for it's first and only ride last summer (in restoration mode), I found myself looking out the door window for a mirror. Guess that comes from having a truck as my daily. Now that I step back, my ride looks like it's missing something and I think one or both doors could use mirrors. I've looked at MANY styles and positions of them. I didn't like the peeps when I first saw them but now they are growing on me. What I really like are clip on install. I cringe thinking of drilling an aftermarket mirror only to find it doesn't look good. The peeps are at least movable AND removable. I've got my eye on the convex ones. Apparently a lot of owners say it really improves functionality. Feel free to chime in if you've got any ideas or suggestions! 

I never cared for the peep mirrors. The '48 Packard I just sold had a round mirror mounted on the spotlight. I liked the adjustment. It also has a parabolic rear view mirror at the windshield. I liked that for backing up. All my other stuff is newer now.

If I had an older car and found a nice door mirror, putting a magnet in the base and slithering another magnet up inside the door might be the way to go.

Bernie

I don't even know what a "peep mirror" is.  I do have "side view" mirrors on all of my cars since it is a safety issue with me.  I've found parabolic mirrors to be so misleading as to be beyond useless ... dangerous.  I have several cars, dating from 1947 onwards, and I've fitted side view mirrors to all of them.  I don't think that they look too bad, but they sure are handy when driving on a multi-lane highway. 

Cheers,

Grog

I'm with Grog.. I don't know what a peep mirror is either.  Maybe that's what mine are.    If so the mirror  area is very  small (round 3 1/2" diameter ) and are extremely difficult to adjust.  However once adjusted they do the job  and I  believe are correct for the era of the car.  I bought mine from Bob's  at a reasonable  price.

Good luck 

Wayne

"Google" is almost always your friend.  I had two "peep" mirrors on my Pontiac until I installed my "wind wings".  The right one interfered with the mirror so I removed the "peep" mirror and put a very small stick on convex mirror on the outer top of the right wind wing.  Has worked great for over 50 years.

19 hours ago, Dave Henderson said:

The negative with the clip-on or clamp-on mirrors is that they often end up chipping the paint where they are attached.

I installed a pair of peep mirrors on my '40 Packard.I'd rather lose a little paint where they attach than get sideswiped and lose a fender ! Small as they are, they are very helpful backing into the garage.

I have clamp-ons at the moment on my 1930 Dodge Brothers, to see if I like them. Other than difficult adjustment, the biggest problem is that I keep bashing them with my shoulder in the garage, so I drape an old tea towel or something over them to improve visibility. To save the paint I made gaskets out of gasket paper to put under them. In the longer term I'll probably go with hinge mounts.

Keep in mind the more forward the mirrors are the smaller the field of vision will be.

Door mount them if at all possible.

Have a friend try various positions on the passenger side while you are in the driver seat so you get it right the FIRST time........don't ask how I know....... :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, cahartley said:

Keep in mind the more forward the mirrors are the smaller the field of vision will be

Yes, I read closer to the face the better. I'm going with the convex ones. I think they may work more on the front of the door which isn't really that much farther from my face. I like the lower profile and the better look than top of the door. At least they're movable.

28 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

problem is that I keep bashing them with my shoulder in the garage,

Know what you mean. I've got mirrors on the ends of my drag bars on my bobber motorcycle. Constantly banging in to them!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received my mirrors today. I really do like them, or should I say it. I have to option to move or remove them. Definitely glad I went with convex. Also glad they fit where I wanted them because they are no other spots for them. The door is either too tight of a fit or the chrome trim gets in the way. Also remember reading that the passenger side is virtually useless. They were right. So I either run with one or both for aesthetic looks. I am also impressed with the quality for the price.  

IMG_6940.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

Here's the weirdest peep mirror I've seen.It's called the Passing Eye. Properly adjusted,you can look around the big rig in front of you  to see if it's safe to pass.They were apparently banned because they caused more accidents than they prevented !

Passing Eye mirror 002.JPG

Passing Eye mirror 003.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H.Boland said:

Here's the weirdest peep mirror I've seen.It's called the Passing Eye. Properly adjusted,you can look around the big rig in front of you  to see if it's safe to pass.They were apparently banned because they caused more accidents than they prevented !

Passing Eye mirror 002.JPG

Passing Eye mirror 003.JPG

We had one of these on a 50 Dodge when we moved from Chicago to Denver. I remember my dad driving  on Rt 6 a 2 lane road at the time and using that to pass big rigs. My mom kept saying how can you just pull out without looking and dad would say the mirrors let me see what coming. I’m still here so it must have worked ok. Have fun. 

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, Summershandy said:

that and a powerful overdrive!

What is a powerful overdrive?  I always thought a transmission, an overdrive or a rear end on a vehicle just transmitted what power was provided by the engine.  All the overdrive does is move the torque curve from one road speed to another.