Pics from “back in the day”!

victorialynn2

8 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

There is a huge, long running, thread on the HAMB.  It is currently up to page 5096!   -    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/vintage-shots-from-days-gone-by.428585/   be prepared to spend several weeks looking at pictures.

Nothing can really compare to that thread on the H.A.M.B.

• Like 4

Here's a mid 1950's pix of a couple of kids playing on top of a tanker truck across from the General Store in Waterbury Center, VT owned by my grandparents.

That was back before the nanny stzte when kids could have fun ....no one yelled at them, although they might have explained to them that was not a great thing to do and you could get hurt..

MOM3 090.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

There is a huge, long running, thread on the HAMB.  It is currently up to page 5096!   -    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/vintage-shots-from-days-gone-by.428585/   be prepared to spend several weeks looking at pictures.

i was not able to view anything on the HAMB. Posts stated: " Third party hosting disabled"

Back in those days there was this nerdy kid who got followed home by cars.

009.jpg.e0e9455cb5d2241113918250ec9aed59.jpg

ZCad.jpg.b74e849ee88627ea7889446a5fded06c.jpg

001.thumb.JPG.85e3ef8261969af48f88a91bbf0d847d.JPG

When I started dating my Hippy future Wife she threw away the shirts in the first two pictures. But I still have the glasses.

Just noticed TerryB's truck. A few years ago I came down to Ephrata and did a capital asset audit in the nursing home. Nice town, still.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, vermontboy said:

Here's a mid 1950's pix of a couple of kids playing on top of a tanker truck across from the General Store in Waterbury Center, VT owned by my grandparents.

That was back before the nanny stzte when kids could have fun ....no one yelled at them, although they might have explained to them that was not a great thing to do and you could get hurt..

MOM3 090.JPG

I am pretty sure that my folks would have hollered at me and my brothers if we had done this (and we grew up in the late 60s and early 70s).  We were told not to touch  -- or climb on -- peoples cars or vehicles.  And we would get a good whack if we did. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TerryB said:

How about this old post card

IMG_1223.JPG

When did Mount Rainier get its name changed from Mount Tacoma?

I have my grandmothers spoon collection and there is a Mount Tacoma spoon in there. I suppose it has some value as she liked expensive things. Could be silver? I might have to dig those out and take a look.

I grew up skiing on Mt Rainier, all they had were rope tows and they seemed to run straight up into the clouds. (yea, those clouds in the picture). But I was young and bulletproof back then in the fifties.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Hey Jack, official name change came in 1890.

No wonder I don't remember it.

My grandmother was born in 1886 or so. She must have started collecting spoons at a young age.

So I have at least one spoon that is over a hundred years old.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)