Killing time during the winter

junkyardjeff

It just has been too cold to work in the garage so I have been in the basement working on the smaller scaled versions,the black 40 sedan is one I built back in the mid 70s and put it on a new chassis and repainted the interior. The red home made p/u was made from a junk body that came close to going in the trash and extra parts.

100_7858.JPG

100_7854.JPG

100_7796.JPG

100_7812.JPG

100_7811.JPG

• Like 6

They look great.

What scale? 

Are these scratchbuilt? 

Or are they the AMT issues?  The 37 Ford--is that Revell-Monogram? 

If not scratchbuilt, then who is the manufacturer and scale? 

Can you provide more details?  Especially about the 1937 Ford.

Thanks.

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

I have several old models that need to be redone and several kits that still need build, just can't get motivated. Still can't get over the price of models today.When I was building them,  $2.00 or less was the going price , now they're $25 and up! I did manage to get motivated to build this a couple of years ago when I wanted to try my hand at 1/6 scale scratchbuilding. This is the engine from my '36 Dodge. It's constructed of wood, plastic and brass. The chassis is a Model AA Ford in 1/16 scale. Everything but the engine and front axle is scartchbuilt. Neither one is finished yet! If you love modeling and haven't checked out Roger Zimmerman's post under Our cars and Restorations, you must do so. This man is amazingly talented!

DSC01983.JPG

DSC01984.JPG

DSC02133.JPG

DSC02135.JPG

DSC02137.JPG

DSC02138.JPG

DSC00328.JPG

DSC00331.JPG

DSC00336.JPG

DSC00337.JPG

DSC00338.JPG

DSC00339.JPG

DSC00334.JPG

DSC02130.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

They look great.

What scale? 

Are these scratchbuilt? 

Or are they the AMT issues?  The 37 Ford--is that Revell-Monogram? 

If not scratchbuilt, then who is the manufacturer and scale? 

Can you provide more details?  Especially about the 1937 Ford.

Thanks.

The 37 is a Revell/Monogram 1/24 that I picked up already started,its a streetrod kit that I put a stock 40 chassis under it with a Y block from a AMT 57 Ford,the others are all AMTs and I did not know what paint was used so I made it look like it was a project car pieced togather.

4 hours ago, jpage said:

I have several old models that need to be redone and several kits that still need build, just can't get motivated. Still can't get over the price of models today.When I was building them,  $2.00 or less was the going price , now they're $25 and up! I did manage to get motivated to build this a couple of years ago when I wanted to try my hand at 1/6 scale scratchbuilding. This is the engine from my '36 Dodge. It's constructed of wood, plastic and brass. The chassis is a Model AA Ford in 1/16 scale. Everything but the engine and front axle is scartchbuilt. Neither one is finished yet! If you love modeling and haven't checked out Roger Zimmerman's post under Our cars and Restorations, you must do so. This man is amazingly talented!

DSC01983.JPG

DSC01984.JPG

DSC02133.JPG

DSC02135.JPG

DSC02137.JPG

DSC02138.JPG

DSC00328.JPG

DSC00331.JPG

DSC00336.JPG

DSC00337.JPG

DSC00338.JPG

DSC00339.JPG

DSC00334.JPG

DSC02130.JPG

Those look great and much better then i could do.

• Like 1

Your models look great.  I have that 1937 model.  And all the AMT stuff. 

Here is a Monogram 1/8 scale 1932 Ford Roadster that I am working on.  It will be displayed in a 1/8 scale garage set in a repurposed TV cabinet. 

Here is the build in progress and a mock up of the scale garage.  

20171023_224051.jpg

20171024_210257.jpg

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

21 hours ago, jpage said:

DSC01983.JPG

DSC01984.JPG

DSC02133.JPG

DSC02135.JPG

DSC02137.JPG

DSC02138.JPG

DSC00328.JPG

DSC00331.JPG

DSC00336.JPG

DSC00337.JPG

DSC00338.JPG

DSC00339.JPG

DSC00334.JPG

DSC02130.JPG

jpage, these models look great.  Thanks for posting. 

I've always appreciated scratch built models, and the more detailed the better. Unfortunately, I never had the talent or patience. I built quire a few AMT, Revell and Monogram kits starting when I was about 10 years old. Thanks to a vintage barrister bookcase,they have remained in excellent condition these past 50 odd years.A couple of Franklin Mint diecast models enhance the set. The Ford wrecker was built up with leftover accessories.

Once I got into the real thing, I couldn't afford the models !

Jim

Model cars 001.JPG

Model cars 002.JPG

Model cars 003.JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Great looking models! Like many others apparently I have a large box full of models I made more than 50 years ago. They were displayed on and off but have been hiding for at least the last 20 years. I keep thinking about refurbishing some of them but never get to it because of those pesky full size cars! I may actually start down that road since I recently found an old but unused 63 Olds Starfire kit from JoHann and would like to make it into a duplicate of my car - we will see...

63 olds model.JPG

• Like 1

I use to models all the time when I was a kid. I would spend hours a day doing it. My son loves cars and trucks and wanted me to build him something. i picked out a kit that had both. Were going with that work truck look. I have been picking at it every once in a while, but I need to get it done, a long with everything else.:unsure:

IMG_4522.JPG

IMG_4523.JPG

IMG_4521.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cool thread.  Built a few back in the day as well.  We also built a lot of ship models.  I recall one day a few of us got the idea to recreate  a navel battle scene and set a few of them afloat in a small stream, doused in paint thinner I think.   Set them on fire.  Looked kind of cool at the time but fumes were probably bad... ?

It looks likke a lot of time and patience here, nice posts!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

Nothing new but thinking on downsizing a little by selling my 66 ford truck and bronco and finding a non running 65 galaxie 2 door and using the 4 door for parts since its really not worth fixing the body. Have not been down your way lately,I just do not get out like I did before and stay local but will be heading to Florida in a few weeks.

Models are indeed a great way to spend some time over the winter.  Here are a few I've done. To my knowledge this is the only complete set of Improved Fords (1926-27) extant in 1:25 scale. They are mostly based upon the AMT 1927 Ford Model T Touring kit with Revell, resin and scratch building mixed in.

20171207_232108.jpg

Edited by ericmac
Spelling error. (see edit history)
  • Like 1