Front End Friday Photo

jvelde

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

My contribution. These guys photo bombed what would have been a fantastic shot of a 38 Special 

Gary aka Ggggo and yours truly 

4B7AA291-9D05-4919-8DC9-3C9810206F8A.jpeg

And to take further liberties of extending front end Friday into Saturday....  

image.jpeg

Mike aka Flyer15015, Elvis and yours truly 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:56 AM, nzcarnerd said:

The photo is only captioned 'Hill District'. Maybe someone might know the city. I guess the car is a 1931 90 series? Note the 'non-skid' front tyres.

Hill%201district[2] - Copy.jpg

Hill%201district[2] (1280x720).jpg

I thought there might have been some significance to the plate on the Buick but from looking here  -  http://www.ricksplates.com/pennsylvania/papass1.htm  - it seems it is just a regular plate from the era - 1935? from what I can read. PA certainly had complex range of plates!

Looking at store names,

A GOOGLE search came up with:

Caspar's Directory of the American Book, News and Stationery Trade, ...

and then I followed with L. A. Miller Stationery, 

there are dozens of Miller Stationers, several in PA, but not L. A. Miller Stationery-

well I tried,

Close, but no cigar

31 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Is there a book on tobacconists, because that is the first thing he says he is?

No luck so far, but thanks for the suggestion

What about any old city trade directories? I am not familiar with the US but in UK there were trade directories published in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Here also.

Just found an index of street address directories for PA. Pittsburgh had these: 1934-1941, 1944-1955 (Missing 1945, 1948), 1969-1971 .

https://www.archives.gov/research/census/1930/city-directories.html#PENNSYLVANIA

shows one also for 1931-32.

Whoops I meant to hit quote not edit, See later post.

8 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Just took a second look at this one and thought - there is something odd  - leaf spring front end??

Yes, bought in Okla. City, someones old hot rod, straight axle with a nail-head and 3 speed manual. My brother bought it about 15 yr ago from a picture he spotted at Chickasha Swap Meet, car was stored in a shed for about 20 yr, `34 Buick 50 series.

4 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

What about any old city trade directories? I am not familiar with the US but in UK there were trade directories published in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Here also.

Just found an index of street address directories for PA. Pittsburgh had these: 1934-1941, 1944-1955 (Missing 1945, 1948), 1969-1971 .

https://www.archives.gov/research/census/1930/city-directories.html#PENNSYLVANIA

shows one also for 1931-32.

Whoops I meant to hit quote not edit, See later post.

I enjoy the way these old photos stimulate discussion. If the location of Millar's store can be found maybe then someone can add the current streetview shot?

Keep an eye out for more in either the What is it or preWW2 pics.