eBay Refund

Curti

I bought a carburetor that was not as described. I sent the item back to him . He said that refunding the money thru PayPal was too confusing so he sent me a personal check for the amount of the item only , no shipping

I figured the fair way is, I pay one way he pays the other.  The cost of shipping is $20 one way. 

$20 to ship a carb ... wow, how big is it ? 

Paypal return confusing lol... sorry, that's some insight into who you're dealing with unfortunately. I've never seen an easier process myself.. isn't it like two clicks of the mouse ?

He should be paying full refund....what your suggesting is fair for both of you, I'd contact Ebay.

The big sticking point I find is, was the item not as described or did not live up to a buyers unreasonable expectation being a used part or even a new part with  flaws that were clearly pointed out.  

Now this is not aimed at you Curti but as a seller (though it happens very rarely I get agitated because the buyer didn't read the description)  I've even had the buyer buy a round headlight bezel for his car that has square headlights. Guess he didn't know what his car looked like.

My approach is if it's something that was my fault I pay both shipping fees.  If they were hoping it would fit but won't,  then I only pay one.  (ebay actually makes you give a full refund,  so you have to) 

Depending on where it's coming from a Carb.  could easily cost $20  to ship.  3 lbs coast to coast I believe is around  $15 or more.  Postal rates are always going up.  Even those flat rates have been creeping up.  

I sent an item back once. eBay/PayPal allowed me to print out a return shipping label for it and charged me for it. It was a return label with postage, bar code, and a tracking number. It was actually cheaper than if I just paid postage on my own. So then I got a refund from the seller, price of item plus the shipping the seller paid. I was out the return shipping.

USPS parcels are getting very expensive. A light pair of low top tennis shoes cost $20 to ship, I saw the postage the seller paid. I have a FedEx account and I think FedEx ground is usually cheaper, but I ship very little and it's hard to compare unless you take the same item into both places.

Did you actually file the return through eBay or just communicate directly with the seller and let him send the check?  If you go to your "Purchase History" / "More actions" / "Return this item" and file the return, eBay will force the refund for the full amount including the shipping in an instance where the item is not as described.  Refund of the return shipping can depend on the sellers policy.

• Like 2

•  
  • Mike36
  • Members
  • 132 posts

I feel that if the seller misrepresented the carb, he should pay the shipping both ways. Why should you pay for his mistake?

because in the end- everyone has a different opinion of everything. things rarely go smooth when there is a complaint.

Curti, if you didnt accept the check, you would recve a refund through ebay and yes, you would have recd one of the shipping charges. you didnt follow protocol unfortunately.

I feel that if the seller misrepresented the carb, he should pay the shipping both ways. Why should you pay for his mistake?

because in the end- everyone has a different opinion of everything. things rarely go smooth when there is a complaint.

Curti, if you didnt accept the check, you would recve a refund through ebay and yes, you would have recd one of the shipping charges. you didnt follow protocol unfortunately.

I had no choice. He said he couldn't figure out how to do a PayPal refund so he sent me a personal check.  No, I have not cashed it.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stromberg-Carb-for-Auburn-model-8-98-/132312602934?hash=item1ece721936%3Ag%3AUhIAAOSwlnZZpzgM&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=1cwbEqWYsgzEUNSXs67eru1rDZM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Vintage Stromberg Carb for Auburn model 8-98

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stromberg-Carb-for-Auburn-model-8-98-/132312602934?

Parts Only
$250.00
Buy It Now
+$9.85 shipping

Item condition:For parts or not working

Item location:Walnut Creek, California, United States

Was purchased as a spare for my Auburn Model 8-98 Speedster which has been sold.  Never used.

Was it this one? Described as for parts only, not working. Seller means it was never installed and used by the seller, so it was never verified whether this used part functioned well. That's how I read it. Not listed as NOS.

You have to do your homework on this stuff..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARTER-YF-2071S-CARBURETOR-1954-KAISER-DARRIN-KAISER-FRAZER-KF-/122640955037?hash=item1c8df8769d%3Ag%3A3n8AAOSw0W1ZjG0j&nma=true&si=cclUdBPy82KN23xYIPmvDNJJOiE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,10770.0.html

I got burned for 120.00 . I called it  the price of not knowing what I need or what is wrong with it..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

OK Curti,

very easy. file a complaint in the resolution center with ebay. mail the check back or tear it up and go through ebay.

they will give you your money back and one of the shipping charges.

2nd recourse is to file for a refund through paypal, which I assume you made payment through.

finally, if all else fails, which it wont, you can have the charge removed from your credit card, which is on file with your paypal acct.

then you will have recd the refund you want.

4 hours ago, nick8086 said:

IT APPEARS THAT WE HAVE SOME DISHONESTY HERE.

I RESEARCHED THIS ITEM ON EBAY.  IT  WAS LISTED ONCE AND NOT SOLD.

THEREFORE, THE STATEMENT ABOUT BEING BURNED FOR 120 IS MUCH LESS THAN BEING TRUTHFUL!!!

DISHONESTY SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED HERE.

53 minutes ago, rustybottom said:

IT APPEARS THAT WE HAVE SOME DISHONESTY HERE.

I RESEARCHED THIS ITEM ON EBAY.  IT  WAS LISTED ONCE AND NOT SOLD.

THEREFORE, THE STATEMENT ABOUT BEING BURNED FOR 120 IS MUCH LESS THAN BEING TRUTHFUL!!!

DISHONESTY SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED HERE.

This post has absolutely NOTHING to do with the original post.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mike6024 said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stromberg-Carb-for-Auburn-model-8-98-/132312602934?hash=item1ece721936%3Ag%3AUhIAAOSwlnZZpzgM&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=1cwbEqWYsgzEUNSXs67eru1rDZM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stromberg-Carb-for-Auburn-model-8-98-/132312602934?

Parts Only
$250.00
Buy It Now
+$9.85 shipping

Item condition:For parts or not working

Item location:Walnut Creek, California, United States

Was purchased as a spare for my Auburn Model 8-98 Speedster which has been sold.  Never used.

Was it this one? Described as for parts only, not working. Seller means it was never installed and used by the seller, so it was never verified whether this used part functioned well. That's how I read it. Not listed as NOS.

This is the carb.  I have no problem with the condition if it was the correct carb, however  ' Never used'  is a bit misleading.

All I want is the shipping cost. 

I guess I'm just not getting it. Why does someone bitch on a forum about something not being right when THEY didn't do the right thing to rectify the problem in the first place. If you bought it thru eBay and have a problem go back thru eBay not just the seller. It's not hard. 

That is surprising to me because I was under the impression it is mostly an automated system with steps for each party to make.  It has worked for me every time.  You might check your messages on eBay rather than your email in the event something didn't come through, but at the very least if you formally opened a case for a return using the process I stated above, you should have a confirmation message.  Once the process starts, it is like disputing a credit card charge.  There are time limits and obligations to respond by each party and if a party fails on their part, default judgement is in the favor of he who fulfilled his obligation. 

• Like 1

Once you file a claim,  the seller has a few days to respond.  After they respond or don't and the time period lapses you can escalate it to a decision.   They will then make a decision,  often swiftly and almost always in favor of the buyer.  Probably 99.9 Percent of the time,  even if the item as as described.    The way it's set up it's almost impossible to get burned as a buyer on Ebay.  However quite easy as a seller to be burned by dishonest buyers. 

• Like 1

I'm curious about how you found it was for a Studebaker or Chrysler. Was it something internal?

I sell quite a few items on Ebay, when the urge hits me. There are long periods of time when the urge doesn't hit. Those usually follow a sale that didn't go well.

I don't always know what I am selling. Sometimes I just buy a pile of parts or a car to strip out. I have been leisurely dismantling a 1929 Buick cut down doodle bug since spring. I'm not even sure it is a 1929. I think it is. At this point I am up about $50 after buying it, transporting it, Ebay fees, Paypal fees, shipping, with nor other efforts considered. I always identify what I took a part from, picture it clearly, and recommend the buyer verify through their own sources or questions to me. I don't want to sell someone the wrong part. And Ebay is really rough on sellers. I don't need that. There are easier ways to make money, but I feel like I am adding a bit to the hobby by bringing the stuff to market.

I do it less now. It gets easier to put stuff at the curb for the junkies as seller demands  and costs to sell get higher. More frequently I toss stuff or walk past a load of parts for sale. I am not dying for the work and cost of selling the stuff. And some gets junked.

This instance reminded me of a pair of Packard vent window rubbers I bought. Not paying close attention to a mistake in the seller's description I bought a new pair from a stalled restoration for $58. They arrived, aw, nuts, wrong ones. I listed them correctly and got $140 for them. After fees and postage I netted $53.89. That is in my sales record from 2015.

Wanna bet I'd have a slightly overpriced, rare, Studebaker or Chrysler carb for sale and open to offers? It's a hobby. It's a sport.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)