1958 Buick wagon headliner bows

Pete Phillips

Working on my 1958 Special 4-dr. hardtop station wagon. It has the perforated particle board headliner with exposed plastic bows that are supposed to hold each panel in place. Caballero wagons have the same thing. My work on this car has ground to a stop because the replacement headliner panels and the replacement plastic bows all broke at the sides of the roof where it curves down. We laid them out in the sun before installing, hoping to soften the plastic, and I used a steamer to soften the particle board panels in hopes they would curve properly, but nothing has worked. I have a pile of broken headliner panels that I paid a lot for, and a pile of broken plastic headliner retainers which were far to brittle to ever do what they were supposed to do.

Question: What have others used? Could I substitute a set of exposed chrome headliner bows out of another '58 hardtop? The Limiteds, for example, have stainless or chrome exposed headliner bows. I can't recall if the Century hardtops have these. I would have to get two sets of bows out of a 4-dr. hardtop in order to have enough to do the back part of the wagon as well as the front hardtop portion. Open to all suggestions.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

IMG_2578.JPG

Pete,

I recently ordered new perforated panels for my Caballero from R.E.M., but they do not offer the retainers.

I have not been able to find a source for the plastic retainers yet.

57BuickJim and I are considering the construction of an extrusion die to produce the retainers.

Joe

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

My perforated panels came from R.E.M. but most of them cracked when I tried to get them to bend with the contours of the side of the roof, so I'm not going to go that route again. Waste of time and money.

Pete

Pete, did you soak or steam the panels?

I asumed they would need some convincing...

Steve Plunkett has a1958 Buick Caballero that is currently being shown at Coble Beach here in Ontario I don't know who or if it was restored.I have a 58 limited and yes it does have the chrome top bows to support the roof.Maybe you can google Steve plunkett at Fleetwood country cruise in in London Ontario

TP

• Like 1

On 9/14/2017 at 12:16 PM, Pete Phillips said:

Working on my 1958 Special 4-dr. hardtop station wagon. It has the perforated particle board headliner with exposed plastic bows that are supposed to hold each panel in place. Caballero wagons have the same thing. My work on this car has ground to a stop because the replacement headliner panels and the replacement plastic bows all broke at the sides of the roof where it curves down. We laid them out in the sun before installing, hoping to soften the plastic, and I used a steamer to soften the particle board panels in hopes they would curve properly, but nothing has worked. I have a pile of broken headliner panels that I paid a lot for, and a pile of broken plastic headliner retainers which were far to brittle to ever do what they were supposed to do.

Question: What have others used? Could I substitute a set of exposed chrome headliner bows out of another '58 hardtop? The Limiteds, for example, have stainless or chrome exposed headliner bows. I can't recall if the Century hardtops have these. I would have to get two sets of bows out of a 4-dr. hardtop in order to have enough to do the back part of the wagon as well as the front hardtop portion. Open to all suggestions.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

IMG_2578.JPG

Pete I believe only the 57 Roadmaster and 58 Roadmaster and Limited had the chrome bows.  I may have an extra set from a 57 but would need to either be rechromed or painted.  There are 3 and each is slightly different to fit the roof contour as it changes from front to back so you'd probably have to start with a set as a template and see how many you need of each style if you wanted to go this route.  I know of somebody that has more as well.  PM me if interested.

Pete, the only concern with using the 58 bows from the Limited or Roadmaster is that they are 70 Series vehicles and the roof width will be larger than the 40 series that you are working on. You might be able to coble them to fit, but not sure, because of the width issue. Just my 2 cents worth. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi, I'm restoring a 57 olds wagon 4dr hardtop but my restore has ground to a stop.

I'm installing a perforated particle board headliner, which I've finally got those in place. But the plastic bows that hold the particle board panels in place were to brittle to save. 

Question: What have others used? Could I substitute a set of exposed chrome headliner bows out of a '58 Buick hardtop?  I understand they have stainless or chrome exposed headliner bows. Open to all suggestions or idea's  

image.png.43f9dfca3ac26bef6e50ff3b178428a7.png

• Like 1

A few years ago, I reproduced those headliner bows.  I have sold all of my stock and have given permission to use the extrusion dies that I paid for originally.  This link below is his olds obsolete parts is the guy that I have given permission to use.  The photo is shown as installed on my Caballero reproduction along with an other installation.

https://www.oldsobsolete.com/

Elliff Headliner Bow1.jpg

100_0886.jpg

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Caballer02,  I talked to the gentleman at https://www.oldsobsolete.com/ that you had given permission to use the extrusion dies for the Bows. He was never ever able to get the company to make a run to produce any bows ( they always seemed to be too busy). He was wondering if you would have some time to give him a call (406-239-6661).  He has misplaced the name of the company that has the dies. He would be more than happy to try again to get some bows created.  Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I am posting a redacted copy of my letter to the plastics company. Do with it as you will.  Maybe with an expressed demand the plastics company may respond. With anyone's success with the use of the die, he or she may consider it theirs with my permission.   Note... They did locate the die.

October 27, 2015

Tim Dailey

Hi-Tec Plastics

11380 Smith Road

Aurora, CO 80010

I have enclosed a sample of an extrusion that you made for me in 1991 along with photographs of its final application on 1950s GM station wagons..  Also is a copy of your original quote.

I am asking for another quote for 1000’ using the original die if it can be located.  This extrusion was delivered in shipping tubes containing units cut length of 72 inches.  The material was clear semi-rigid PVC.

Yours truly,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Caballero2 - Thanks for your post with a copy of your letter about the die to make the plastic headliner bow retaining molding. I researched the company online and it was listed as going out of business in November 2017 due to retirement in a small article in Plastic News Journal with an auction to sell off equipment. Not good news for those of us looking for a replacement.

Does anyone have a small section of the plastic that I or "we" could use to look into someone that could make a die to extrude replacements??

I live in Decatur, IL and have a few contacts in the machining and tool and die industries locally. I would be willing to look into someone that could machine the die. Once a die is made we need to find a small plastics company that could then make the moldings for us. Perhaps another thought is 3-D printing? Again we would need someone to make a program and then would need a sizable printer to make this, or is that not a workable solution.

Let me know

Tom Rohde

farmingdr@gmail.com

• 9 months later...

I tried several local tool and die companies and one checked some plastic molding companies they have done work for but no one to do the die extrusions. One company suggested someone who could do 3D computer plastic printing.  I finally gave up due to lack of time and wanting to finish the interior and ordered a vinyl headliner for my 57 from Newstalgia Parts. Not original, but looks pretty nice and it's finished for the time being. 

Tom

• Like 1

• 4 months later...