Heard of DriveShare, the "AirBnB for Classic Cars?

MarrsCars

http://jalopnik.com/the-airbnb-for-classic-cars-is-either-going-to-be-the-b-1798367079

What do you think? Some listings show that the owner wants to remain as the driver, but most allow the renter to drive the car. I could not imagine offering my car for this type of service even with the million-dollar policy they offer to protect it, because I wouldn't know about smaller issues or damage that could have been done but not reveal itself until a later date, and it will not be cheap, nothing on this car is, so I'm out. How about you? Also, the only real motivator seems to be to make money from your classic, so how much would it take for you to rent out your car?

Whenever we rent items from our antiques shop to prop masters or set designers they often pay a rental fee of 50% of the purchase price, and if they need it longer they will often pay more than the purchase price and still return the item when finished shooting, that is the only way I'd rent my car out.

24 minutes ago, billorn said:

I cant even think of how I would tell a new person how to drive my car in a few minutes. So many quirks that they just have to know about. And its not even a really old car!

Good point, most controls in my car are unmarked, that's a steep learning curve for a first-timer!

I've considered buying a newer low value "classic" to rent out that way. It might be profitable. Since I live in "Whine" Country it think this would be popular for touring the area.

1 And if one could be acquired for $7k or so.

IF my '67 were restored, which it definitely is not, I would no consider it. This one here is not mine, but you can see they have almost no bumpers and the slightest tap would be disastrous.

00b0b_lExC5LGOZ7V_600x450.jpg00s0s_8FVGQA5feuM_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

I live in Whine country as well.

Sure, a cheap car that doesn't mean much to me and a clause that it doesn't go farther than 25 miles or so away from home. (so I could go get it if it broke).

Hmm.

However we must remember that the renters are going wine tasting.

Never will I let someone "rent" one of my cars. I have a friend that works at a car dealership and won't even let a relative or friend purchase a lease return. If you don't own it you are going to abuse it. He has seen 5 year lease returns that have never had an oil change. Nobody takes care of our cars like we do.

For maintenance on preowned cars, most large rental car companies are fairly meticulous on keeping the cars maintained.   I have purchased them before and not had any problems. 

A general "off lease" purchase can be somewhat more dicey.   That said, with the automakers giving owners one, two, or three oil changes with the purchase of a new car and the engine oil life monitor watching the oil, the off lease vehicles are in much better condition than in the past.

I purchased a one year old low mileage Jeep that was off lease for thousands less than a new one. It came with a CERTIFIED factory warrenty that was better that the new car warranty and had passed Chryslers 125 point checklist.  Only found one problem after a couple of weeks and it was repaired quickly and they even furnished a loaner car while they worked on mine. To me if it is certified it does not matter where it came from. The dealers have first pick at the Chrysler auctions and get the better cars. The others go to the secondary used car lots.

3 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

For maintenance on preowned cars, most large rental car companies are fairly meticulous on keeping the cars maintained.   I have purchased them before and not had any problems. 

I worked at an Auto/Truck Rental and Leasing company in NW Indiana for a few years.  The cars and trucks - even the rentals - were maintained to a high standard while I was there.  

On 8/24/2017 at 9:21 PM, mike6024 said:

I've considered buying a newer low value "classic" to rent out that way. It might be profitable. Since I live in "Whine" Country it think this would be popular for touring the area.

And if one could be acquired for $7k or so.

Clever! This would be the way to go, buy something inexpensive and use it exclusively for rentals. I like the cut of your jib!