Packard - Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Dynaflash8

Well, this Buickman has bought a Packard Super 8.  It is a 1947.  I hear these cars can run with the big dogs.  So, we'll see.  The real question is am I too old to learn about a brand I don't know one thing about?  Well, we'll see about that too.  Happy to correspond with anybody who would like to educate me. <smile>

• Like 1

Earl, you are moving up in the world!!!   Congrats on venturing out from your safety zone and trying something different.  I can't wait to see you and Judy driving onto the showfield.  Will you make it to our Wings and Wheels show in Tidewater this year?   Would be great to see you with the Packard.  This has always sorta been Packard country so you'll get a nice welcome for sure.   Post some photos for us and tell us all about it.  I've not known you to have a car without an interesting story behind it.

Terry

Earl, 

Congrats - us Buick guys can enjoy Packards too !

Dale and I really enjoy our 1930 Model 733 - 7-Passenger Dual Windshield Touring

1930_Packard_-_Oak_Alley_-_Left_4-9-13.JPG

1930 PACKARD LEFT-FRONT.jpg

• Like 1

Marty, I like your house (and the car too).  Terry Bond, we won't make wings and wheels, 'cause we brought the Riviera home, and when we come back we won't have a car, plus the house is for sale.  I came through another health test okay here and heading back up until after Hershey.  Well, the Packard may be there.  I want to go down to Urbanna and pick up a set of reproduction skirts, and then I want to get Jimmy Davis to paint them and blend them to the car, which is original.  He's the one person I know who I think can do it well.  The car looks frumpy without the skirts.  I also want to get a repro Cormorant hood ornament for it from Don Sommer.  Flat Top, yes, I finally tumbled for the green one.  Talked to the man for eight months.  I don't like the color much, but it looks like a very nice car; plus a friend went and looked at and drove it. He said he'd buy it if I didn't and wants it  when or if I get tired of it.  Blue would have been better, but it is Vermont Green and I'll never paint another car, ever, no not ever!!  The last two have been an experiment in torture.  I wanted a CCCA recognized car for the local CCCA Region tours, and CCCA just wouldn't recognize the 1941 Buick Roadmaster.  Makes no sense, the greatest of all of the Buicks; a car that outran and out-powered every other car in 1941.  But, it is what it is.  I didn't have any parts left for a big Buick anymore anyway, so I didn't lose much there, but I do have extensive literature on Buicks, and none on Packards.  JW Lawrence, that website address didn't work.  This Packard was the best buy I've seen, at a reasonable price, in a year's looking at ads.  The engine is a flathead 356 cid job.  At 165 horsepower it matches the 320 cid '41 Buick 70, it is one inch longer, and it also has overdrive.  I had a '54 Packard once, a 327 cid, and that was not a memorable experience, but in retrospect I think that car had a slightly loose timing chain.  So, let's go for a ride and see what happens.

1947 Packard 2103 2.jpg

1947 Packard 2103 5.jpg

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Flat Top, yes, I finally tumbled for the green one.

I looked and looked at his pictures. That is the car to buy, for sure.

Never miss a chance to tease the Silver Cloud owners by asking if their curved windscreen would fit your car.

Bernie

Earl.

You are not to old to learn,  as evidenced by you getting out of the Florida summer heat.  Packards shouldn't be to hard for an old Buick guy.

Now you'll find that 41 Buick you've been obsessed with and discover you love flat heads.

I drive my 37 Buick A LOT but a customer brought in a 40 Packard for steering box work and darn it's a great car. After box work took the Packard for several drives and very impressed by the solid feel and whisper quiet straight eight. Both the Buick and Packard are in about equal condition but one can see why the Packard brought more money when new. I have swim fins for feet and getting them through the gap between front corner of seat and door pillar is often a hassle but Packard slanted the bottom of the door forward and this gives a big gap for foot room---clever design.

IMG_4343.JPG

Deep snow 011.jpg

5 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Earl.

You are not to old to learn,  as evidenced by you getting out of the Florida summer heat.  Packards shouldn't be to hard for an old Buick guy.

Now you'll find that 41 Buick you've been obsessed with and discover you love flat heads.

Ha, I'm in the Florida summer heat RIGHT NOW!  It was just as hot in Eastern Virginia in June/July before I came back down here for an important doctor's exam.  Three more good ones and I move to twice a year instead of four.  And yes, it was perfect again.  But, I am starting to threaten Methusla (spelling).  As I keep marching toward 80 I will get there in 2018 if I make it that far.  So, I think ever owning another 1941 Buick Limited that I really feel would suit me for a price I can pay "ain't gonna happen".  I almost bought this Packard 2-3 times since January, but kept hoping the '41 Roadmasters would be accepted by CCCA, and kept running up on Cadillac's that looked promising.  In the end, I never saw a Cadillac that seemed to compare, price and condition, with this 47 Packard.  Paul, you may see it on tour somewhere down the road, but I think I'll use the yellow 1939 Buick four-door convertible on the 2018 AACA Sentimental Tour in Mississippi.  We have the Virginia house for sale.  It's just getting to be too much to deal with two homes 900 miles apart.

2 hours ago, 61polara said:

Earl,

I hoped that was the car you bought.  Hope to see it soon!

I fooled around with this one for so long, I don't understand why somebody else didn't go get it.  One reason I stalled was because the wiring harness is original.  It's good from what I'm told, but it's just a matter of time, and it's a nasty job to have done.  It has been rewired from the dash to the tailights when it was reupholstered, however.  Thanks for your kind remarks.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Guest SaddleRider
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:55 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Packard Super 8.  It is a 1947.  I hear these cars can run with the big dogs.  So, we'll see.  ....  Happy to correspond with anybody who would like to educate me.....

You are certainly welcome to contact me for any questions.   I have just a wee bit of technical experience with such things....!

May I respectfully correct you in this respect.    The "356"  motor equipped Packards of 1940-1949  do not  "run with the big dogs".   They ARE the "BIG DOG".

Nothing - and I mean NOTHING could catch or even hope to stay with one.   Yes - the "compound carb" Buick Century  (early "muscle car - meaning biggest engine they sell in the lightest body)   might take you "off the line".  

But look at the final drive ratios,  ( Buicks didn't have overdrive)   and the fact that Packard, along with most of the rest of the industry, wen to "insert style" connecting rod bearings long before Buick finally gave up on "poured babbit" in the early 1950's.

Yes, a pre-war Century with those two carbs.  might stay with the "356" or even slightly out-accelerate you..... for a while....!

"Long stroke"    "babbit" bearing equipped cars do not tolerate extreme engine operation for any distance at all  - that is where the "356"  will keep running,  where the Buick can not.

At the time the  first stretchs of the Penn. Turnpike were opened up in the late 1930's,  you can find some great newspaper articles as to what happened to non "insert connecting rod bearing" types trying to "run with the big dogs".     Hint....local tow truck operators and garages had a ball !

Here's a technical hint.   Packard chose to use  rubber bushings on the steering column shift levers,  to isolate as much as possible mechanical noises and motions coming from the engine/transmission.  As the rubber got old and sloppy, it became possible for the column shifter to "jam"..  meaniog tries to engage two different gears.       DONT USE  FORCE ON THE GEAR-SHIFT LEVER.!      Just get out of the car, shut the motor off, open the hood, and manually free up the jammed shift levers.    Since so many of those column - shift Packards were converted over to bronze bushings,  and yours MAY be one of those converted, this issue may not come up for you.

Another hint.  Right under the far left and far right side of the dash,  are the levers that lock the hood.  Please remember to keep both of them locked when operating the car.   You can release BOTH of them and lift the entire hood off the car,  provided you planned that in advance - meaning you have two people, one on each side of the hood.  You do NOT want to know what happens to that nice paint on the hood and fenders if you forget that both  hood sides are  left unlocked,  and try and lift off one side of the hood, without an assistant on the other side to work in concert with you....!

Edited by SaddleRider
I promise to learn how to spelle (see edit history)

Gosh Saddle River, I hope I get some on site education from the current owner before I drive off into the sunset. Also, Buick went to insert bears on the Roadmaster in 1948, and the Super in 1950 and the Special in 1951.  I've  heard those stories about the PA Turnpike, but an awful lot of Buicks have survived to become antique cars.  I converted two of my '39 Specials to insert rod bearings though, which was easy to do using 1950 rods and bearings.

I like that side view.

The body carried over into my '48 and on until 1950. All you need is a couple 55 gallon drums of clay to fill in the depression between the fenders. All the series used the same body, just trimmed out the Seniors nicer and lengthened the fenders for the extra 6" in wheelbase.

Mine is the smaller, 288 engine. I haven't raced any dogs or cars with it, but it is adequate for the type of car it is. Smooth and quiet, I find myself taking off in second gear most of the time and rarely downshifting.

The cars have a presence of their own. Performance is pretty subjective. Personally I wouldn't be out there stop light racing any more than Fred Astaire would be dancing the Adelaide Shuffle.

I sure liked looking at the pictures and day dreaming about that green car when it was for sale.

Bernie

01918.jpg.b52d500567f1e7902e0bad88e31d833b.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest SaddleRider
1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

see below

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

The body carried over into my '48 and on until 1950. All you need is a couple 55 gallon drums of clay to fill in the depression between the fenders. All the series used the same body, just trimmed out the Seniors nicer and lengthened the fenders for the extra 6" in wheelbase.

Mine is the smaller, 288 engine. I haven't raced any dogs or cars with it, but it is adequate for the type of car it is. Smooth and quiet, I find myself taking off in second gear most of the time and rarely downshifting.The cars have a presence of their own. Performance is pretty subjective.

May I respectfully suggest you have a bit to learn about Packards....!

First of all - yes - you are correct - the main internal structure body dies of the   '41 - '42 Clippers, & '47 thru '50 production were pretty much identical.  As you are aware, external sheet metal was modified to create what some call "the bathtub effect".  However, you overlook the substantial changes in, for example, cabin ventilation, heating, etc. that begin for 1948 production.     Lots of changes & improvements beyond the external  door & fender sheet metal.

I certainly agree with you that Packards " have a presence of their own". 

But you are in error in your belief that the performance difference is "pretty subjective".!

Hopefully,  you will someday have the eye-opening opportunity to drive a  properly maintained 1940 - 1949 Packard equipped with the "Senior" motor.  Since the bodies and running gear weigh about the same,  the difference in performance between your "economy" engine ( previously known as the "120" series),   and the "big" engine, known by us Packard "buffs" as the "356"  engine size, is most certainly quite OBJECTIVE !

Yes, of course your "junior" Packard can move from a dead stop in 2nd gear.   All that points out is how "low"  ( higher numerical rear axle/differential gear ratio) your car is "geared".). 

Gearing cars as low as they were enabled  some manufacturers get  acceptable performance to relatively heavy bodies with under-sized motors.   Others, for example, Cadillac and Buick "senior" cars of that era had higher gear ratios, and nearly 100 cubic inches of more motor!

Quite easy to understand how much more relaxing at speed, for example, a Hydramatic-equipped 1948 Cadillac was,  given how much "higher"  ( lower numerically ) its differential/final drive ratio was.   In terms of engine rpm,  the Cadillac at 70 mph would be loafing,  whereas the Packard like yours ( unless yours has overdrive)  to go the same road speed would have to have the engine screaming at a comparative engine speed of over 90 mph.

Crippled with such a low gear ratio,   many cars of your and previous  eras have their engines literally screaming...( over-revving )  at anything much over..oh..say  45 mph. (unless, of course you have a working overdrive...!).  To be fair,  given most roads of the era the cars were designed for,  it is understandable why the engineers specified gear ratios that are absurdly low for today's conditions.

Edited by SaddleRider
monkey business (see edit history)

I drive Buicks. I just bought the Packard because I liked the big chicken on the hood. It reminded my of Grandpa Jim O'Brien sitting in the dining room next to the chicks in the incubators when I was young.

The chicken was the selling point. One with a doughnut would have been overlooked.

From the general tone I guess I am a lot happier in my ignorance that more knowledgeable aficionados. But I think that is common.

Bernie

36 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I just bought the Packard because I liked the big chicken on the hood. It reminded my of Grandpa Jim O'Brien sitting in the dining room next to the chicks in the incubators when I was young.

Bernie, it would have been much cheaper to buy a Packard chicken and mount it on the hood of your FlatTop so you could remember Grandpa Jim even more frequently.  :-)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I like that side view.

Mine is the smaller, 288 engine. I haven't raced any dogs or cars with it, but it is adequate for the type of car it is. Smooth and quiet, I find myself taking off in second gear most of the time and rarely downshifting.

The cars have a presence of their own. Performance is pretty subjective. Personally I wouldn't be out there stop light racing any more than Fred Astaire would be dancing the Adelaide Shuffle.

I sure liked looking at the pictures and day dreaming about that green car when it was for sale.

Bernie

01918.jpg.b52d500567f1e7902e0bad88e31d833b.jpg

Well, I going to wait and see.  I'm not crazy about the shade of green, but green is okay.  As to the Buicks, I've always liked the pre-war Special the best.  This Packard has those 15-inch tires on it.  I had a '39 Buick Century once, and I thought it steered much harder than the 16-inch Special wheels.  I've only had a few Supers, but they were okay too.  I just think the '39 and '41 Buicks were among the prettiest cars ever built (for their time).  I also know I'm in the vast minority with regard to that statement concerning the '39 Buicks.  I will say, they have to have the optional front fender lights, or they suddenly look homely to me.

2 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I'm not crazy about the shade of green, but green is okay. 

My blue car clashes with my lawn. I thought about putting in a rock garden and I might take a lichen to it.

Bernie

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 0:50 PM, SaddleRider said:

Hopefully,  you will someday have the eye-opening opportunity to drive a  properly maintained 1940 - 1949 Packard equipped with the "Senior" motor.  Since the bodies and running gear weigh about the same,  the difference in performance between your "economy" engine ( previously known as the "120" series),   and the "big" engine, known by us Packard "buffs" as the "356"  engine size, is most certainly quite OBJECTIVE !

Jaguars and Packards are kind of a car I enjoy by myself. Jaguars, because there aren't a lot of other owners around. Packards, well, being alone just never seems to be insufferable.

Today, was a "someday" opportunity to spend some quality time with my nearly insignificant, low end model.

Bernie

Guest SaddleRider
22 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Jaguars and Packards are kind of a car I enjoy by myself................today.... spend some quality time with my nearly insignificant, low end model.

Bernie

I protest!

I don't think you should belittle &  call your Packard  "nearly insignificant".  And it certainly wasn't a "low end" model - even the least expensive Packard of your year was priced for the middle class.    It was and remains an outstanding buy for the money.   

In a previous post  I did correct you for your belief the differences, especially in performance  ( between your Packard and the "big-engine" Packards of your year) are, as you claimed, merely "subjective".    And I do stand by that correction.   The differences between your Packard and the so-called "Senior" line,  again, has to be experienced .   

But so what ?   I respectfully suggest it is quite silly and unfair to worry about or  compare cars of dramatically different price clases - as with most things "you get what you pay for". 

I personally enjoy and admire all "collector cars".    Each should be appreciated for what it is - certainly not compared with and  "bad-mounted" because a much more expensive car may have superior performance,  upholstery fittings, etc.

Edited by SaddleRider
applesauce (see edit history)

Emails, texts, and digital communication in general have a tendency  to come across wrong. That can be an eye opener.

I could tell mine was as nice as a Buick Super the first time I pulled out of the driveway.

Bernie

15 hours ago, billorn said:

Dynaflash, did you actually buy this car? The seller is still staying its available as of yesterday (Friday August 25). What happened?

No Sir.  Good car for anybody who wants one.  Good seller.  But, what I keep finding is that you can take the boy out of the Buick but you can't take the Buick out of the boy.  It's all my personal problem. Sorry.

22 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

No Sir.  Good car for anybody who wants one.  Good seller.  But, what I keep finding is that you can take the boy out of the Buick but you can't take the Buick out of the boy.  It's all my personal problem. Sorry.

Congratulations.  The first step to recovery is recognizing the problem,  There have been a few good Buick ads in Buy & Sell since your      

initial post.   Enjoy the search!   Glad to hear of your better health reports too.

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Congratulations.  The first step to recovery is recognizing the problem,  There have been a few good Buick ads in Buy & Sell since your      

initial post.   Enjoy the search!   Glad to hear of your better health reports too.

Paul: It's always good only until the next three month checkup.  It's a lot of weight to carry.  Three more of them to go, and if lucky, I can go then to twice yearly.  Remember Mississippi in November 2018.  That will be a good one!!