Antique car Insurance

nick8086

I use triple A premier and it came in real handy about 6 months ago when the fuel pump went on my truck. Got my truck towed 220 miles and owed for the 20 miles.

Glad to have it. Great insurance!

Since my son has it, he pays 100. a year and I pay the same.

Look. I really don't want to talk about it. O.K? Really. Let's just say this didn't have to happen. Just a kid who didn't tighten a battery clamp. Led to circumstances I could no longer control. It spoiled my trip to the Oregon coast after Forrest Grove last year. I got TO the  Coast , had dinner and went cruising. It crapped out right at a very nice motel just about at dark. Listen. AAA to the rescue. Back to Portland. This is an extremely reliable car. But obviously things happen. I drive far and alone. The 200 miles of free towing is A MUST before I start out on an adventure. Glad those of you who don't have it , don't need it.  - Carl

image.jpeg

I use Good Sam.

I had to have the diesel pusher towed, (not to far, maybe 15 miles to the shop). The hook up cost way more than the tow.

I have had to use their lock out service a couple of times as well.

I chose them not only because of the motor home but also for my collector cars.

If I happen to be towing they will take that as well as long as there is a load on. They wont bring home an empty trailer for example.

But if there is a race car or a vintage car inside they will tow it. Or if there is a boat on a trailer they will tow it, but not an empty boat trailer. (go figure).

I might throw the scooter in the trailer if I am going to haul empty for any distance.

20160930_112757.jpg

Sure did ! He got an extra $100 from me to keep the speed under 45 all the way from Neetarts Bay to Portland ! Buffeting from complex aerodynamics could have done some damage to the original top. Oh , the motel was ancient Cadillac friendly. Covered parking ! I will not drive of park this car in the rain. Sun is a car killer , but of course we do have to drive in it. I don't park in the sun for more than a few minutes at a time. The "find shade" obsession actually becomes a fun game when I park !  :)   - CC

Here is the lucky driver loading his first crashbox Cadillac.

image.jpeg

Thought I was going to find out how good AAA Plus with RV rider was on Sunday. Was towing my enclosed car trailer behind my Ford F250 with slide in camper and heard a noise in the engine compartment over and above the diesel rattle. I stopped at the PA visitor center on the new I-99 and the serpentine belt was trying to disintegrate. I asked inside where the nearest Ford dealer was and he handed me a map of the area and marked where Ford was in Mansfield. I drove by a Walmart to check out the dealer, planning to loop back and camp at Walmart over night and as I pulled into Ford to turn around the water pump seized and the belt snapped. I pulled in another 30 feet or so and shut it down and set up camp. I guess luck is better than good insurance but I have used AAA several times over the 25+ years I have been a member and have been generally pleased with the service. Oh and Ford in Mansfield PA, 5 stars, they got me as soon as they opened and I was on the road again before noon. Was an expensive place to camp however. :-)

20 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

JC Taylor recently offered it and I added it. Since I can't fix my own car, it seemed to make sense if I'm going to drive an older car. 

They will only flat bed a car for the first 50 miles. Then the rest is your dime..

I may call them and ask if they have a 150 mile.. one..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I switched to the Good Sam after my Hagerty wouldn't even send a truck as I was over fifty miles from anything.

Of coarse they said they could fix me up easily with an upgrade with my credit card.

It caught me off guard and I was offended.

I was with some other guys and since I was at a state forestry facility I could leave it for a few hours and it would be guarded (by real guards)(and inmates).

Caught a ride home and came back the next day with my trailer and an attitude.

We do a lot of AACA Tours, like the Sentimental & Glidden and tow to the tours with our Airstream DP Land Yacht with our car on a open car trailer behind.  We have AAA Plus RV.  In the last 20 years we've used it twice.

#1.  A Sentimental Tour in Virginia, the Stromberg 84 on our 1934 Ford Fordor went on strike  AAA took us on a flatbed back tot eh campground where I had tools and another carburetor,  Problem fixed.

#2   The on last years Sentimental Tour in Salisbury, NC Airstream quit near the Charlotte Motor Speedway and AAA came to the rescue with the biggest wrecker we'd ever seen and we were towed to  the campground in Salisbury.  I found a local guy who came out and found the problem (Bad fuel cut off solenoid)  It cost AAA $800 and the driver wouldn't take my tip.

I knew (Or thought I knew they wouldn't tow the trailer), and called another Sentimental Tourist who came down from Salisbury and towed our trailer & car to the campground.  (Nice to know other tourists)

We've been with AAA for 30 years and the $100 premium is a bargain with a 100 mile limit.   That's enough for our emergencies, because the parts and tools are at the trailer and all we need to do is get back there

My Daughter is 32. We got AAA for her when she started driving and now we all have it. At some point I licensed my first of 6 Jaguars during that time. I opted for the extended towing using Jaguar ownership as the reason. To date the only car that has been hauled was a 65 mile trip with my '60 Electra. My Wife thinks that's funny.

Alice.jpg

1 hour ago, nick8086 said:

The Tow.. It is not cheap.. I like the idea of  AAA. Just not sure how far I will go next year..

It cost me $500.00 for this tow.  121 miles.. . But It was someone I could trust to move my car.. He was great.. 

I had no idea it cost that much. Is that typical for towing classic cars? Yikes!

14 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

AAA will not send out an enclosed trailer to tow you for free. Glad you got it home safe. What happened to the Darrin that it needed to be towed  ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

It was a timing thing..  My car trailer was full.. It need new tires.. and a tune up.. spend 400-600 or just get it done.. To me it was the same price.. 

What happened to the Darrin that it needed to be towed .. It was on loan to a car museum..  I hope to pick it up from the mechanic soon.

I will post a few pic soon.. I just order a few part for it tonight.. ..  

Jake..

47 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I had no idea it cost that much. Is that typical for towing classic cars? Yikes!

enclosed trailer - yes..

They bill from home to site and back.. 1.25 per mile..

He told me he billed 5k to take a car from Omaha to Utah just for an oil change..  

It was a Ferrari.

It was some one in the Warren Buffet  clan..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On 7/19/2017 at 4:25 AM, C Carl said:

Look. I really don't want to talk about it. O.K? Really. Let's just say this didn't have to happen. Just a kid who didn't tighten a battery clamp. Led to circumstances I could no longer control. It spoiled my trip to the Oregon coast after Forrest Grove last year. I got TO the  Coast , had dinner and went cruising. It crapped out right at a very nice motel just about at dark. Listen. AAA to the rescue. Back to Portland. This is an extremely reliable car. But obviously things happen. I drive far and alone. The 200 miles of free towing is A MUST before I start out on an adventure. Glad those of you who don't have it , don't need it.  - Carl

image.jpeg

Carl my old friend, we must have walked right past one another last summer! I sadly had to miss this past weekend's event, did you make it down?

To the originl question posed in this thread... I use Chubb collector car insurance and this is their policy on towing:

"Towing

If your classic car is disabled in a covered loss, Chubb will not only pay the fair cost to move your vehicle to the shop of your choice, we will do so using the transport service of your choosing. Chubb will also cover the emergency labor costs incurred at the time of the incident."

This is their policy for replacement parts,

"Whether you need a fender for your Galaxie, or a trunk pan for your Gullwing, Chubb understands the importance of the perfect part. We will work with your restoration shop to properly restore your vehicle to its pre-loss condition and authenticity. Keep in mind that with Chubb Collector Car insurance, you choose the restoration facility that will repair your vehicle.

When you combine our parts and equipment coverage with our $0 deductible Agreed Value feature, you’ll find that Chubb Collector Car insurance is the most comprehensive program available."

They seem far more accommodating than other insurers in many relevant ways, I have little in the way of use restrictions, no deductibles, no mileage caps, etc. Good luck on your search!

To me insurance is like spare parts: anything you have a spare for won't break.

That said a few years ago I helped a buddy drive a GMC Motor Home to northern Alabama. About 100 miles out the alternator failed so for the next two days it was find a motel at dusk and charge the battery in the room, then start out at dawnish and go til dusk. All I can say is that a Duracell Grp 31 AGM can really hold a charge.

Guest KentWest

Getting insurance for an antique car is a bit of a work, but surely, the benefits of purchasing car insurance outweigh the trouble of searching the right company to do business with. But always remember that when you are getting car insurance for an antique, be sure to choose an independent auto insurance, Ocala company that is known to be reputable, reliable and dependable. You don't want to find in the end that the company didn't pay your insurance claim. I would suggest to take multiple quotes from different trustworthy companies like Hagerty, Direct Insurance Network, Lelandwest, etc. known more for collector cars. Well, you were asking about towing package nick8086, so it depends upon the insurance policy I think. Be specific with your requirement with the insurance company.

they seem far more accommodating than other insurers in many relevant ways, I have little in the way of use restrictions, no deductibles, no mileage caps, etc. Good luck on your search!

I agree Chubb is the best- but what you dont mention is price. I am paying about triple what a normal home owners policy would be.....................

coverage is amazing!

4 hours ago, mercer09 said:

"they seem far more accommodating than other insurers in many relevant ways, I have little in the way of use restrictions, no deductibles, no mileage caps, etc. Good luck on your search!"

I agree Chubb is the best- but what you dont mention is price. I am paying about triple what a normal home owners policy would be.....................

coverage is amazing!

I find my auto coverage to be a fantastic deal at less than $500 annually for $50k agreed value on the coupe, far less than what I paid before I had "collector car" insurance.

Edited by MarrsCars
clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 1