Corvair Ulravan

Xander Wildeisen

I see them at Corvair shows from time to time. I always seem them at the Corvair national convention.

A very lightweight RV.

Xander,

Thanks for posting, otherwise I'd have never heard of these things.

Those Ultra Vans look pretty cool.  I may have seen one on the road, but didn't know what it was; however, at any rate, I'd never heard of them before. 

They look a little bit like the old Airstream motor home:

ccf2d91702ae9095fab3ada88157558b.jpg

I wouldn't mind owning either the Ultra Van or one of the smaller old Airstream motor homes.

Cheers,

Grog

They really exemplify three decades of designs: 60's Utravan, 70's GMC Motor Home, 80's Vixen and each was a true Class A motor home, each strongly considered aerodynamics, and each used an engine/transaxle package.

Were all purpose built designs and not "box on chassis" like most class Cs including the Lesharo and Rialta. All three have achieved "cult" status and are eligible for AACA events.

To a certain extent each fell victim to their times, the Ultravan to 70 mph Interstates, the GMC to the "energy crisis", and the Vixen to GM's diesel debacle. Suspect there is a book or TV show in there.

• Like 1

Had fixed/upgraded almost everything & sold for more than I paid for it. OTOH always had the problem of getting somewhere and having no way to get around. Now that I have a folding trailer (20 years newer, 1/2 the price, and more room inside), I just park and open the trailer and can drive the Jeep. Insurance/license for trailer is also a lot less than an RV & makes a comfortable guest cottage so win-win.