Best Website to List Car for Sale

Harold

I've listed my '66 Sport Fury Convertible on the local Craigslists and so far the responses have been disappointing.  What other websites (besides this one!) have you found useful when trying to sell a collector vehicle?  I'm also considering paper media.  Is Hemmings still the powerhouse it used to be?  Any thoughts appreciated.

IMHO Hemmings and Auto Trader Classic are the best for a true collector car if you are not in a big rush to sell, I have had the highest percentage of good sales on these sites. Even if you price a car realistically on Craiglist everyone will lowball you before they even see it. Ebay is similar in that everyone wants a bargain but also has a high percentage of bidders who don't follow thru and complete the deal.

• Like 1

I have sold 3 cars on eBay with a very good outcome. (1930 Model A, 1970 Bronco, 1961 Corvair Rampside). I currently have two on eBay (1 is a 1950 Ford Shoebox), and it's also on Hemmings online. It's my first time using Hemmings. In 6 days on Hemmings, the Shoebox has had 330 views. The same car has 216 views on eBay in just 6 hours. I have also tried this site, Facebook Auto Groups local and national, The Ford Barn and some other specialty, brand specific sites and I have also sold a few cars by word of mouth.

So far I have had the best results by far with eBay and word of mouth. Since I'm pretty sure I've exhausted all my word of mouth leads, I am going to focus on eBay for the remaining cars. eBay costs approximately $20 (and up) to list, depending on options you choose.  If the car sells and is worth over 5k, the final fee when you sell it is $150. If the car doesn't sell and you relist, you pay the listing fee again, but only pay the final fee if you sell the car. Hemmings on the other hand is a minimum of $99 to list and no final sale fee. They keep your ad online for 3 months, and it's in print for a monthly issue, where eBay listings generally go for up to 7 days, but you could do a 10 days listing for an small additional fee. 

So if you are in a hurry, eBay is probably the quicker option as it has more views faster. More views tend to result in more sales online. Hemmings has a longer shelf life with 90 days online and in print for a monthly issue so may be a better option if you are wanting a higher price and have more time. You can check Hemmings for cut off dates to be in the next issue so you know how long it will be before anyone sees that. Online ads are reviewed and tend to be online the next business day. You could do both, of course, as I am currently trying. 

I do agree that you may have to relist the car a few times on eBay, and use a Reserve. The first 3 cars sold the first try, but the Shoebox is a project and a little harder to find a buyer, so it has been relisted. I'm also selling a Lincoln Town Car on eBay right now and it's proving a little harder to move for the asking price as well. This is perhaps also because I had a professional lister for the first three and his photos were much better than the ones I took. (Better background, better camera.)

Please let us know your experience. I, for one, am very interested in hearing specifics about what cars are sold where, and how long it takes. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The collector car hobby has really changed in the last 5 to 8 years from what I see.

The project car market has been hit the hardest.

This is all to do with the advanced age of people who used to favor these cars, and also the economy.

Younger generations don't want a 38 Hudson, or a 52 Ford Victoria, nor a 68 Chevelle.  They often don't have a home that has a enclosed place to work on a project.

Project car pricing in the past, was always pushed up by people buying for resale.  It was common to find a local project, clean it up and get it yard-drivable, then flip easy for a modest profit.  In past decades, you'd see a local project advertised at a fair price, but it was already sold to a flipper. Now, most flippers found out the hard way, that a model they did well with 10 years ago, now has no interest as a project car....so they have now stopped buying projects.

There will always be that one person who would take a certain model as a project, but with a dwindling market, that person is normally 2000 miles from the car, so the sale won 't happen.  (I'm talking Joe-average cars, not high end classic cars)

Advertise everywhere possible in hopes of finding that lone buyer, and also, sometimes a car will sell off the front lawn to a impulse buyer that never dreamed of buying a vintage car.

It's not easy these days.

Guest Skyking

I've used sellersnetwork.com and had very good luck.  For a $299.00 fee you can have as many photos and as many words as you want.  They list it in all the popular car magazines and papers including Hemmings.  It stays listed until sold.......

And no additional fees.....

20 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

It's my first time using Hemmings. In 6 days on Hemmings, the Shoebox has had 330 views. The same car has 216 views on eBay in just 6 hours.

Ads in Hemmings Motor News--the magazine--can have

a long life, since it is a printed publication.  When I have

been looking for a car, I have saved my issues and

returned to them several months later.  Once, I called

about a car for sale in an issue that was one year old,

and even went to see the car, which was still for sale!

I think Hemmings attracts a more serious buyer.

• Like 2

This line in bold type,  written by alsancle, makes a lot of good sense.

The paragraph after paragraph written by sellers, concerning the marque and model has little value.

The  potential buyer already has the knowledge of the marque and the model, in most cases.

"Lots and lots of clear hi-res pictures, detailed description of the history and condition of the car,  not a history lesson on the marque or model".

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I have sold 3 cars on eBay with a very good outcome. (1930 Model A, 1970 Bronco, 1961 Corvair Rampside). I currently have two on eBay (1 is a 1950 Ford Shoebox), and it's also on Hemmings online. It's my first time using Hemmings. In 6 days on Hemmings, the Shoebox has had 330 views. The same car has 216 views on eBay in just 6 hours. I have also tried this site, Facebook Auto Groups local and national, The Ford Barn and some other specialty, brand specific sites and I have also sold a few cars by word of mouth.

So far I have had the best results by far with eBay and word of mouth. Since I'm pretty sure I've exhausted all my word of mouth leads, I am going to focus on eBay for the remaining cars. eBay costs approximately $20 (and up) to list, depending on options you choose.  If the car sells and is worth over 5k, the final fee when you sell it is $150. If the car doesn't sell and you relist, you pay the listing fee again, but only pay the final fee if you sell the car. Hemmings on the other hand is a minimum of $99 to list and no final sale fee. They keep your ad online for 3 months, and it's in print for a monthly issue, where eBay listings generally go for up to 7 days, but you could do a 10 days listing for an small additional fee. 

So if you are in a hurry, eBay is probably the quicker option as it has more views faster. More views tend to result in more sales online. Hemmings has a longer shelf life with 90 days online and in print for a monthly issue so may be a better option if you are wanting a higher price and have more time. You can check Hemmings for cut off dates to be in the next issue so you know how long it will be before anyone sees that. Online ads are reviewed and tend to be online the next business day. You could do both, of course, as I am currently trying. 

I do agree that you may have to relist the car a few times on eBay, and use a Reserve. The first 3 cars sold the first try, but the Shoebox is a project and a little harder to find a buyer, so it has been relisted. I'm also selling a Lincoln Town Car on eBay right now and it's proving a little harder to move for the asking price as well. This is perhaps also because I had a professional lister for the first three and his photos were much better than the ones I took. (Better background, better camera.)

Please let us know your experience. I, for one, am very interested in hearing specifics about what cars are sold where, and how long it takes. 

I am a firm believer that the more specific your potential audience may be, for your specific product being sold,  the higher your rate of success will be.

My cousin was forced to sell his 1951 Mercury in August of 2015.

He immediately  made online attempts, on various sites, finally sold it (so he thought) to an EBAY guy.

Turns out, when all was said and done, the bidder didn't have the funds ...... just a tire kicker guy, wasting everyones' time.

So, although the number of "VIEWS" are somewhat  important,  the "numbers of views" aren't that important, if the views belong to deadbeats.

VIEWS don't always = available cash to buy.

EBAY has a lot of "wanna bees" in the mix ...... those that "wanna be a buyer", buy cannot be a buyer.

A waste of everyones time, with no happy ending.

The final result was that my cousins 1951 Mercury received a "sold sign" in November of 2015, thanks to a buyer looking on the '50's custom site, K.K.O.A.

The K.K.O.A. site had a common interest to the car being sold, the '51 Merc.

A few bucks invested may = a good return. 

One never knows until they try.

6 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Turns out, when all was said and done, the bidder didn't have the funds ...... just a tire kicker guy, wasting everyones' time.

So, although the numbers "VIEWS" are somewhat  important,  the "numbers of views" aren't that important, if the views belong to deadbeats.

VIEWS don't always = available cash to buy.

EBAY has a lot of "wanna bees" in the mix ...... those that "wanna be a buyer", buy cannot be a buyer.

A waste of everyones time, with no happy ending.

The final result was that my cousins 1951 Mercury received a "sold sign" in November of 2015, thanks to a buyer looking on the '50's custom site, K.K.O.A.

The K.K.O.A. site had a common interest to the car being sold, the '51 Merc.

A few bucks invested may = a good return. 

One never knows until they try.

Views are just one measurement, that is true. I have sold 3 without issues and have a friend who has sold a lot of them, so my experience has been good with eBay. Also, you can't argue with how many successful transactions there has been on that site. I deal with tangible proof, statistics, etc. No site is foolproof and there are many viable options. I'd love to see stats on how many successful auto sales are on Ebay vs. Hemmings and other sites. I do agree that chances are better to have serious buyers (views) with Hemmings. I'm not familiar with KKOA, but I can see site specific to a certain brand, type of car make sense also. Maybe fewer views, but better quality views. 

In conclusion, I think the best way to sell a car is the one that works. ;) ~V

K.K.OA.  is not a selling site, like EBAY or Auto Trader o Craigslist.

K.K.O.A. is a club, started in 1981 to gather folks together, who lived and built cars (hot rods) in the '40's and ;50's.

That "club" also has a classified section, for those K.K.O.A. type folks who want to buy, sell or trade.

K.K.O.A. began as being  "specific" to a period of time, and the events that occurred with cars, during that period of time.

The '40 to '54 Ford and the '41 to '54 Chevy not only fit into that initial  specific time frame, those mentioned cars were also the cars of choice, to be hot rodded or modified.

The 1950 Ford fits into that specific time frame AND that same vehicle is the vehicle of choice today, for modifications, as it was, back then.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

K.K.OA.  is not a selling site, like EBAY or Auto Trader o Craigslist.

K.K.O.A. is a club, started in 1981 to gather folks together, who lived and built cars (hot rods) in the '40's and ;50's.

That "club" also has a classified section, for those K.K.O.A. type folks who want to buy, sell or trade.

K.K.O.A. began as being  "specific" to a period of time, and the events that occurred with cars, during that period of time.

The '40 to '54 Ford and the '41 to '54 Chevy not only fit into that initial  specific time frame, those mentioned cars were also the cars of choice, to be hot rodded or modified.

The 1950 Ford fits into that specific time frame AND that same vehicle is the vehicle of choice today, for modifications, as it was, back then.

Thanks for the info Bob. I actually have the car on that site, I think because you suggested it, but didn't know it by KKOA. ;) See, I listen sometimes! Haha

https://bransonsecure.com/k/Kustomclassified.htm

I haven't looked into the classified ads for them yet though. 

Update: I just noticed that they say they are putting the online ads in their next issue. If you get their magazine, let me know if you see it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

Thanks for the info Bob. I actually have the car on that site, I think because you suggested it, but didn't know it by KKOA. ;) See, I listen sometimes! Haha

https://bransonsecure.com/k/Kustomclassified.htm

I haven't looked into the classified ads for them yet though. 

Update: I just noticed that they say they are putting the online ads in their next issue. If you get their magazine, let me know if you see it! 

The right side "detail" of the car, in the photo, is blocked by shadows.

A full "side view", with hubcaps installed, would add much to what this car actually is.

I truly hope this brings you a buyer, with a wad of cash, held together with a rubber band.

Good luck.

P.S. There is a thread now, on H.A.M.B., that show a  PRISTINE 1950 Ford, recently purchased and is now getting a "chopped top", as was the rage, back in the day, still popular in many circles today.

Edited by bobg1951chevy
add words (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have been taking my time looking for a pre 1916 driver / fixer upper and getting really annoyed by the number of cars that I respond to and get no reply. I am finding a lot of the cars for sale are old E Bay linked adds that are sold. Like a I called about a 1910 REO today and it was listed months ago on E Bay. Another car I came across was a 1911 Hudson that I seen in a picture from the Chickasha swap meet. It is now a same type of listing as the Maxwell or REO I email about but I got no response. I think I will no longer respond  to the listings in these type of adds and stay with the major ones like E Bay and Hemming's.

I should also mention about a 09 EMF that I talked to the owner about. He emailed pictures and then said he would send more if I was receiving them ok . I emailed him a couple of times and phoned him two times but never heard from him again. That car would have been in my shop now if I got a hold of him.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just now, bobg1951chevy said:

The right side "detail" of the car, in the photo, is blocked by shadows.

A full "side view", with hubcaps installed, would add much to what this car actually is.

I truly hope this brings you a buyer, with a wad of cash, held together with a rubber band.

Good luck.

Thanks Bob. I have a very hard time finding people to push the car outside for photos. I'm in a remote community of only 1000 people who are always very busy. It is also very complicated to push it back in and keep it away from other cars since the brakes are not yet hooked up. I know the photos are not ideal, but it's the best I can do for now. I wasn't sure if I should install the hub caps because I'm not sure how easy they come off and I don't want them damaged in shipping. I photographed one and included it in the pics on the drive. I guess if someone is interested they would see the other pics or at least ask me to email more. One of the draw backs to this ad is the lack of space for description and additional pictures. Thanks for your kind wishes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

I have been taking my time looking for a pre 1916 driver / fixer upper and getting really annoyed by the number of cars that I respond to and get no reply. I am finding a lot of the cars for sale are old E Bay linked adds that are sold. Like a I called about a 1910 REO today and it was listed months ago on E Bay. Another car I came across was a 1911 Hudson that I seen in a picture from the Chickasha swap meet. It is now a same type of listing as the Maxwell or REO I email about but I got no response on those either. I think I will no longer respond  to the listings in these type of adds and stay with the major ones like E Bay and Hemming's.

I've spent hours researching cars online and I'm a very experienced internet researcher. I almost never find cars that are not also on eBay. Even most Hemmings cars I see on eBay, although that is one site (Hemmings) that I have sometimes seen cars not on eBay. Even Auto Trader Classic has the same cars. From a buyers point of view, if you check eBay and Hemmings, you've seen 99.9% of the cars for sale IMHO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

This line in bold type,  written by alsancle, makes a lot of good sense.

The paragraph after paragraph written by sellers, concerning the marque and model has little value.

The  potential buyer already has the knowledge of the marque and the model, in most cases.

"Lots and lots of clear hi-res pictures, detailed description of the history and condition of the car,  not a history lesson on the marque or model".

I totally agree with the above.  I rarely see this in private print ads where each line costs money, but craigslist and auction houses blather on with endless (and often ill-informed) trivia about the history of the brand.  I guess it is possible a novice with $30,000 cash to buy their first old car will be enraptured to buy with such prose but I quite doubt it, Todd C

PS--Hey Victoria, glad to see you had good results with Ebay, keep at it!

• Like 2

Agree about ebay if selling a special interest car and a good copywriter but have also found Craigslist best for finding locals for known cars. Marque venues are mixed. Good place for an exceptional car because is appreciated but a terrible place for a class 3..

Now when you get before about 1980, CL is not so good unless you like giving tours to trolls. Then the collector venues make more sense.

One issue is that the more someone knows about a car, the less likely they are to want one.

Another method I'd recommend NOT doing:

Some dealers include 50 pictures but have

no meaningful text that describes the pluses

and minuses of their car.  They expect you to

scrutinize the pictures to notice any flaws.

"Oh, you didn't notice that scratch in Photo #39?

It was in the lower left center of the picture.

That wasn't just a light reflection concealing it!"

Have any of you old duffers  (like me), ever heard of something called "Facebook Craigslist" for your State, or area?  My son has been talking about that generic term for a couple of years.  He says it is some sort of regional (your area) place that people are buying selling cars/trucks/and other things too, just like C/List has.

We just looked at a fully optioned 4x4 1983 Silverado shortbed truck 20 minutes away from here this morning, checked it out and my son got it hauled here this afternoon.  This is his first semi-Vintage vehicle to cosmetic-restore, but not for daily use.

What a great score for the nasty rust belt we live in.  The teen seller had no idea it was a Texas truck never used in salt, but he could not get it to run after buying it, so price was very low.  Been parked for over 20-25 years with genuine 75,000 miles.  My son has been trying to find a 73-87 short 4x4, and every one was ready to break in half on the chassis.

A friend from Massachusetts says there is a F/B C/L in his state too.  I have no idea how to find these sites on Facebook. 

I think you may mean Facebook Marketplace. No I have not and cannot use it, but have heard of it. Can only be used with a smart phone and the Facebook App, not a regular computer browser. The phone keeps track of where you are and only shows you things for sale near where you are. I suppose your son was using it with a smart phone. Here's some information.

http://www.facebook.com/Marketplace-231693550250356/

http://www.facebook.com/fbmarketplace/

http://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10157960627480604

There is also something called the Close5 App that is like garage sales on your smart phone. You can list furniture, bikes, cars, and whatever for sale using your smart phone and people close to your location can see it. Click on this link you will see things for sale.

http://www.close5.com/

http://www.close5.com/apps

Edited by mike6024
fix typo (see edit history)

This past Fall, I listed my 1938 Chevrolet for sale on Hemmings.  I made the phone call to Hemmings on a Friday afternoon, and my car was on their online site the next day (Saturday).  Tuesday evening, the buyer called, and the purchase price was wired into my bank account by the following Friday afternoon.  I received several phone calls from seemingly knowledgeable people who were interested in the car.  As I recall, the cost to list my car for sale in the magazine and online was $72.00.  I recommend Hemmings.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike6024 said:

I think you may mean Facebook Marketplace.

Mike, I will ask my son for the name of the Connecticut Facebook place.  I just spoke with my Son a few minutes ago.  He just bought this truck late yesterday afternoon, and the wheels are rusty where the tire beads seat, so he put up a wanted ad on that page for the same fancy Chevy truck ralley wheels.  He got an instant reply from a 50 year old guy who has these trucks to restore, and the guy is selling him 4 nice ralley wheels holding air for 50 bucks!   That helps us get the truck to rolling, to get it in-out of our heated workbay while we fix things.

The site must get people who left C/L and Ebay?   So far, I am very impressed.