PWB

1967 Golden Anniversary!

Recommended Posts

Happy Golden Anniversary to all 1967 Buicks and their masters!

As you may know, 1967 heralded more safety, reliability, efficiencies and horsepower.

The Buick chieftains (Mr. Bill Mitchells' entourage) rattled the GM cage once again.

Lets pay homage to them. May God bless.

I'd say we can all be more proud this golden year - and onward.

 

001.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always been partial to the 1967 Buick Riviera in particular and 1967 in general since that's the year I graduated high school.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recognizing engineering continues to move forward, and with absolutely no disrespect to 1967's and further( I own two of them) , I would note that the nailhead will always be fondly remembered, and hopefully, enjoyed...   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 4:54 PM, wildcatsrule said:

Always loved the '67's- had a Le Sabre years ago. Just got this all original Limited this year. 

 

What a class act! Gorgeous! Would like to see more images.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildcatsrule said:

Always loved the '67's- had a Le Sabre years ago. Just got this all original Limited this year. 

67_electra.jpg

Love the big cars! This one is Super Nice!  Goodluck w/it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My golden 'Goldie' paying respects to an elder on the nailhead side of the family!  ;)

IMG_0655.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1965-70 era seemed to be when so many vehicular systems reached their zenith (Zenith still made TVs back then) and so many things "got right" with designs and engineering . . . things which lasted about another 8 or 9 years on many vehicles' engineering and design.  As much as I liked the '65 Buick B/C cars, the '67s seemed to be more bold and "up front" in styling and design.  That boldness and "ease of lines" (with another version of the Buick SweepSpear body line) made then easily recognizable as BUICK.  Generally GOOD times back then and some GREAT BUICKS!

 

Just LOOKING at them, you KNEW they were luxury and luxurious cars that "rode easy" and comforted their passengers in ways that later generations of cars didn't seem to accomplish in the same way these cars did.  The "luxury" of style on a vehicle large enough for "lines" to start and end.  The "luxury" of ample interior space!  The "luxury" of more than enough luggage compartment space!  The "luxury" of almost effortless steering and braking.  The "luxury" of very ample engine power and a very smooth automatic transmission. 

 

Now, even with electronic shock absorbers, it seems that "luxury" now means "hard ride" (harder than "firm"), smaller engines that need 6+ forward gears to perform decently (although with better fuel economy), "form-fitting" interiors, and "chromeless" shapes.  "Blandness built-in", it seems.   Brand is now defined by grille configurations and rear brand ornamentation, NOT body lines.  Take the grille out of those '67 Buicks, along with stripping the other logo ornaments, and you'd still know what it was.  Try that with a modern Buick, respectfully so.

 

Those were the daaaayyyyysssssss!

 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
NTX5467 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

The 1965-70 era seemed to be when so many vehicular systems reached their zenith (Zenith still made TVs back then) and so many things "got right" with designs and engineering . . . things which lasted about another 8 or 9 years on many vehicles' engineering and design.  As much as I liked the '65 Buick B/C cars, the '67s seemed to be more bold and "up front" in styling and design.  That boldness and "ease of lines" (with another version of the Buick SweepSpear body line) made then easily recognizable as BUICK.  Generally GOOD times back then and some GREAT BUICKS!

 

Just LOOKING at them, you KNEW they were luxury and luxurious cars that "rode easy" and comforted their passengers in ways that later generations of cars didn't seem to accomplish in the same way these cars did.  The "luxury" of style on a vehicle large enough for "lines" to start and end.  The "luxury" of ample interior space!  The "luxury" of more than enough luggage compartment space!  The "luxury" of almost effortless steering and braking.  The "luxury" of very ample engine power and a very smooth automatic transmission. 

 

Now, even with electronic shock absorbers, it seems that "luxury" now means "hard ride" (harder than "firm"), smaller engines that need 6+ forward gears to perform decently (although with better fuel economy), "form-fitting" interiors, and "chromeless" shapes.  "Blandness built-in", it seems.   Brand is now defined by grille configurations and rear brand ornamentation, NOT body lines.  Take the grille out of those '67 Buicks, along with stripping the other logo ornaments, and you'd still know what it was.  Try that with a modern Buick, respectfully so.

 

Those were the daaaayyyyysssssss!

 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
NTX5467 

I concur!  If this (see below) giant piece of thin plastic grill is what defines a top cars' attributes today, I'd rather go without. Just my opinion. No hate here, I just don't get the current ambiance or lack there of. Perhaps people are not getting enough exposure to the arts en total?

Architecture, paintings, geography, fashion, animal form, locomotion, etc. - through the arc of human experience.

Heck, I'm no expert either... to each their own, ultimately.  Cheers!      

 

 

 

$_35.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Anniversary 67. 

67GS.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a nice '67, an ROA members car, slightly modified but a sharp Riv, and the paint looks great too!

 

004.jpg

 

I know there a lots of nice ones out there but I just think is a great looking example.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rivman said:

Here is a nice '67, an ROA members car, slightly modified but a sharp Riv, and the paint looks great too!

 

 

 

I know there a lots of nice ones out there but I just think is a great looking example.

And it has the rare (for '67) "tear drop" headrests. Wish I had them!

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first car was a 1967 Wildcat. I located a picture of one on the internet that looks pretty close.

 

1967-buick-1967-buick-wildcat-pictures-cargurus-0.jpg

 

This is a close match, BUT, mine was our family car that four of us learned to drive in, and it was a rust bucket being a Michigan car, that was in the late 70s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Rivman said:

My first car was a 1967 Wildcat. I located a picture of one on the internet that looks pretty close.

This is a close match, BUT, mine was our family car that four of us learned to drive in, and it was a rust bucket being a Michigan car, that was in the late 70s.

 

That is a real chick magnet Randall :P Aside from rust I bet that car was very reliable. Very simple solid engineering in those late 60s Buicks. Very easy to work on.

As long as cars last today, its easy to forget what a short life span daily drivers had in rust belt states.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also partial to my 67s.  They are comfortable drivers for crusing around town as well as on the highway.  I staarted driving in the 60s and graduated high school in 67.  The newer short wheelbase FWD cars just don't have the same feel.   

Chuck Bloomberg

2015 JUNE.jpg

100_1360.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CBloomberg said:

I am also partial to my 67s.  They are comfortable drivers for crusing around town as well as on the highway.  I staarted driving in the 60s and graduated high school in 67.  The newer short wheelbase FWD cars just don't have the same feel.   

Chuck Bloomberg

2015 JUNE.jpg

100_1360.JPG

 

This is what makes the BCA a great club!  I absolutely love this car!!! And the vehicle is welcomed at any  Buick event!  Great Picture Chuck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Anniversary!  My first ride was in a 67 Wildcat, 4 dr - white with black vinyl roof (brought home from the hospital in it).  My Electra on the left, with a friends Wildcat on the right.

DSCN3067.JPG

DSCN3068.JPG

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hard to believe it's been 50 years since i got mad at the foreman and made several "mildcats". yep it was my job to put the script in the deck lid at the wilmington delaware plant. but in my defence if your 1967 wildcat or le sabre hasn't been wrecked, i can take some of the credit, i also installed the master cylinder too.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cheezestaak2000 said:

hard to believe it's been 50 years since i got mad at the foreman and made several "mildcats". yep it was my job to put the script in the deck lid at the Wilmington, Delaware plant... 

 

That's a good one!  I see that the "Wildcat" name

was in individual capital letters.

 

Though I'd never actually do it, I always thought

it would be funny to change a "GRAND AM" into a "GRAND MA."

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, JZRIV said:

 

That is a real chick magnet Randall :P Aside from rust I bet that car was very reliable. Very simple solid engineering in those late 60s Buicks. Very easy to work on.

As long as cars last today, its easy to forget what a short life span daily drivers had in rust belt states.

Yea, not so much!

At 130K miles that 430 would still smoke the tires though! Of course that might have been because it weighed a good bit less in the rear than it was originally built! The rust had eaten it so bad the dog legs behind the back doors were gone, and I used plumbers strapping tape to keep the quarters from flapping in the wind at 70 mph. Pretty much gone from the back doors back by the time I got rid of it. But, yes, it still ran pretty good.

I had an opportunity to buy a '73 Camaro LT at a good price back then, but even at the good price it was way out of my price range, so I got to settle for the old family car!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rivman said:

Yea, not so much!

At 130K miles that 430 would still smoke the tires though! Of course that might have been because it weighed a good bit less in the rear than it was originally built! The rust had eaten it so bad the dog legs behind the back doors were gone, and I used plumbers strapping tape to keep the quarters from flapping in the wind at 70 mph. Pretty much gone from the back doors back by the time I got rid of it. But, yes, it still ran pretty good.

I had an opportunity to buy a '73 Camaro LT at a good price back then, but even at the good price it was way out of my price range, so I got to settle for the old family car!

:lol:LMAO  "plumbers tape" - Reminds me of my New York '64 Impala - the rear chassis had fist size holes.

A cop pulled me over and said what kind of POS is this? In 1982!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, JZRIV said:

Happy Anniversary 67. 

67GS.jpg

Just wondering, is that a picture of your '67 GS from a few years ago? I think you said it was one that you held onto for a long time, longer than some you have had, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now