The Stuz Bearcat Barn Find That Got Away

Trulyvintage

This is Brian - he lives in Savannah, GA. 

Just an average nice guy ... 

663025.jpg 

I met him a few months ago when I dropped off his Model A Hot Rod project car I had picked up in Spokane, WA. 

He told me his story about the one that " got away " ... 

" Barn Finds " not only do exist - average guys sometimes get a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy one. 

In Brian's case - he could not come up with the money before Wayne Carini bought it ... 

If you watch " Chasing Classic Cars " you might have caught the episode on this vehicle. 

What was not told on the show - this Stutz was known about for at least (2) years before Wayne bought it. 

Brians' story is here on the HAMB: 

@ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lost-a-stutz-to-the-pros.973406/ 

The Stutz Bearcat is slated for a Bonham's Auction in August: 

@ http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23425/lot/84/?category=list&length=10&page=9 

Jim

Interesting thread. A bit too primitive to me (and people forget just how big those cars were). Was a little surprised at the radiator failure but suppose a Floridian would have been more concerned about that.

At Bonham's next month. A takeaway from the other post was that the original asking price was $30k. Wonder if Bonham's will get 5X.

Got to see the car a couple times at Lime Rock and Greenwich concours.  A real time capsule - a lot of effort to putting it back on the road though, always a balance with a car like that, just how far one wants to go if the goal is to keep it as close to "as found" as possible.  I am guessing that drove the decision to leave the rad as is vs. restoring it.  I like the hidden fuel cell approach to eliminate the need to mess with the gas tank.  FWIW I think Wayne/Evan Ide approached the preservation/usability balance nicely on this car.  I believe the balance of remaining "Late Bear Cats"  are all restored, hope this one stays as is. 

1 hour ago, Amphicar BUYER said:

I was fortunate enough to get a ride in one (1914 Bearcat) that allegedly was an INdy race car. Something about going 100mph, no doors, seatbelts, windshield or much in the way of brakes that was exhilarating!

Your statement reminded me of the feeling you get when driving fast Go Carts.

I think Carini did mention the radiator to be left alone, although he did get bit on that 75 mile run on a hill in Carmel.

At Bonham's next month. A takeaway from the other post was that the original asking price was $30k. Wonder if Bonham's will get 5X.

How much you wanna bet it breaks 300k?  No wonder carini is drooling!  I dont like the guy. Gives the hobby a bad name in my book.

show should be called- chasing classic Money!

He does for the car community, what Antiques Roadshow did for the antique trade..............................!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2016 at 0:58 PM, mercer09 said:

How much you wanna bet it breaks 300k?  No wonder carini is drooling!  I dont like the guy. Gives the hobby a bad name in my book.

show should be called- chasing classic Money!

He does for the car community, what Antiques Roadshow did for the antique trade..............................!

I don't see why you feel this way. No manufactured  TV drama, rarely discusses the money paid and why shouldn't he make money on the deals?  Should he just do it for free? (would you?) It is a business, not a charity. It is certainly better then the ass monkey garage type shows, that are manufactured drama, piece of crap, amateurishly built cars that they couldn't be bothered to install headliners in, sold (allegedly) for big money. These guys are what is hurting the hobby, not somebody like Wayne. 

I get sick and tired of people who think because I got a $10k car for $5k that somehow I'm supposed to sell it for the $5k. What I paid for something has no bearing on it's value. What I sell it for is what determines it's value.

• Like 3

just my opinion amphicar- we all dont like the same pop or colors in life and he just comes off as a money grubber to me..................

nothing wrong with making a profit, but his shows are quite boring to me.

glad you enjoy them so, and him as well!

• Like 2

Although Carini's show is not perfect, his show is the best car show out there that I've seen. While ALL the shows are plagued with loud music overplaying the commentary, horseplay, and hot rods, Carini for the most part sticks to stock and race vehicles. Many of the featured cars are high end cars and I like to see them.

If not for the TV show when was the last time you say a Packard 12 or a V16-V12 Cadillac or V-12 etc. at a local car show. Though I think any Tri-Y Chevrolet looks great they seem to be the most ubiquitous cars at any show. As far as Wayne goes, at least on tv he seems like a nice guy who cares about his family and that shows through for everyone to see. It's nice to see a man take special time with his dad and kids. Plus the school thing and as said in the thread above is a charitable person.

I think he is a good role model,  I feel sorry some of you don't feel that way.

CCC is one of the shows I have set to tape. Met Wayne once briefly but at a show so nothing meaningful. Do get the impression that he is a family man which goes a long way with me who has been successful and pays it forward. Clearly he knows just about everyone.

Do get a little bothered when the tires are just aired up and they go, have seen tires come apart before. Probably that prep and inspection is on the cutting room floor but think it can send the rong message.

Find most of the shows on Velocity are about five minutes of new content (maybe 15 on the Mike and Edd show), 15 minutes of repeats, and 10 of advts. Just the way it is.

Have my differences with some in the AACA but am a member and think it is the best thing around. Sure beats a Selectric.  Do tend to bait the baitable. Still think we are living in the "best of times"

Wayne is as humble as they come and a regular guy.  I have had the pleasure to spend time with him and he has not changed a bit which would be normal given the celebrity he has. He has a special needs daughter and is a great dad to her.  He is approachable and never seems to turn down a picture request or an autograph.

His TV show is an off shoot of his business and naturally he has to make a living.  I was surprised he sold the Stutz but he had to have a lot of money in it as he paid another restorer to get it ready for Pebble and they did a lot of work to the car. That could not have come cheap!  Wayne's shop was too full.  He has been a car guy his whole life as well as his dad who was a life AACA member.

Imperial...good grief Leno and Lauren are rolling their eyes as I certainly am not in their category!  I am not even a celebrity in my own household!  Thanks for the chuckle though...if my friend(s) see your post they would have a field day with it!

• Like 1

Two short accounts of my interaction with Wayne - 

He is very supportive of local shows, events and clubs.  Our AACA region toured his place a couple of times and we spent maybe a half hour one night talking prewar cars one on one, clearly an enthusiast and at the time he still had his Cad club sedan with an older restoration now gone.  This was maybe 5 years ago.

Regular attendee at our AACA show in Glastonbury lately, couple years ago my wife pointed out to him that two young kids around 14 had come to the show on their own and were interested in old cars.  Despite having his daughter with him, being on a schedule and having a lot of adults looking chat, he dropped everything and gave the kids quite a bit of time, they were thrilled.  He spends a lot of time with his daughter (she is a regular at the local events as well) when he could easily afford to have help with that - to me that says something as well that is more important than the car stuff. 

I think to Restorer's point he probably is not as focused on selling Model A Fords or MG Ts anymore, but before the show he had connections to the bigger CT collectors and I would guess New England collectors in general.  I am guessing that gave him a good base, and of course the show opened up a bigger market for him.  Putting his energies and focus on that segment is just good business.  

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:11 AM, Guest said:

Although Carini's show is not perfect, his show is the best car show out there that I've seen. While ALL the shows are plagued with loud music overplaying the commentary, horseplay, and hot rods, Carini for the most part sticks to stock and race vehicles. 

As far as Wayne goes, at least on tv he seems like a nice guy...............I think he is a good role model

I also think he is a good role model and IMO this Stutz episode demonstrates the AACA theme of preservation and restoration in a careful way.  I can see where Mercer09 could take the position that his shows are often about Wayne finding cars and selling them at a fancy auction.  But I will still take that over a hateful "Fast & Loud" style show that will gleefully brag about stealing a barn find and wildly tearing into it for a quick flip.  Much too much of that for my taste.

I notice the guy that lost out on the Stutz put the story on the HAMB, makes me wonder about his motivation since the HAMB appears to have a lot of "Fast & Loud" sensibility itself, Todd C

I am a member of the HAMB and there is always great interest in 'barn find' cars. There are a lot of members over there that appreciate stock original cars and understand the historical significance of original cars. There are many threads about survivor cars and many threads about restoring antique race cars and historically significant hot rods and customs. They also stick to the pre 1965 theme over there. Some builders are very concerned on using original parts, materials and  hardware just like AACA restorers. I guess I like it because it is all pre 1965 and there are no modern cars on there. I don't consider any car after about 1970 to be antique. I understand AACA has its 25 year guideline but I don't care to own a 1988 anything and find it hard to consider something of that age antique or classic. Here is a link to a thread about a barn find survivor hot rod built in the late '50s. The owner kept the car  original to the build. Much like the above Stutz or any other HPOF car.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/snoopy-model-a-hot-rod-survivor.942245/

On 8/2/2016 at 2:07 PM, Binger said:

I am a member of the HAMB and ...

I've been a HAMB member several times, the powers there didn't like my opinions and with his panties all wadded up, he has tossed me 5x so far. I change the IP and boom, back in until he figures out it's me... lather ... rinse ... repeat. I have to say that most there are OK folks, but the Admin is a ____ who thinks he's funny or powerful with his attitude. I'm not bothered by him at all, I do get a great laugh every time she ... ummm he boots me and says I'll be reinstated "NEVER" which for an IT guy like myself is about 5 mins. Mooo bwa ha ha ha!

• 3 weeks later...

I recognize the name, but I never had any hero's as a kid never did capture the concept.

I think I saw only the show where they brought a big sign home on a flatbed. There was enough oo-ing and ahh-ing on that to get me back to reruns of Wonder Woman.

I do know that a Stutz Bearcat is not a car that sits "unknown" for decades. Or any other interesting old car. People know about these cars, whether  they are car club friends. I know of a few that might be sensationalized that way. I am just waiting until I have an extra 10K to put under the owner's nose and make the offer. Until that point I'm not even going to mention the cars to their owners. That's the lost part of the :find".

Yesterday I was clearing out a storage building of mine, full of barn find automobilia, I guess. I ran across a 1958 paperback; "How To Buy a Classic Car". John Utz, former editor of the Flying Lady gave it to me. I thumbed through for a few minutes remembering John. There were certainly no barn find Rolls-Royce or Bentley cars while John was alive. He knew every one by chassis number and its provenance.

If a barn find is defined as a car that has been out of hobby circulation for a period of time and "found" by someone ignorant of it's existence I could see that. But it is never presented based on the ignorance of the "finder".

I'm having a tough time right now. My wife has one of those new vacuum cleaners with the plastic cup dirt collector. I need about five of the old style dirt bags. I want my wife to shake them over my cars if I should die before I wake, make them barn finds, you know.

Well, gotta go, two people are coming over to look at a Sprite for sale that has been sitting since 1965, owner always aware and never lost it.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

I have a '55 Jag sitting in my garage that hasn't moved since 1969. Very few living folks, likely under 10, have ever actually seen it. Will it qualify as a "barn find" upon my untimely but inevitable demise?

Move it somewhere that nobody else knows about.

• 3 weeks later...