Going to look at a Hudson big boy, any pointers?

auburnseeker

I've been on a search for a Hudson Pickup as many of you know and I have found one that falls in my price range, is close enough to look at, and has a couple of desirable upgrades.

I was contacted through one of my wanted ads about this truck.  It has a Wasp dual carb motor from what I have been told by someone that knows about the truck and a swapped in 9 inch Ford rear for better gearing.  Otherwise it's fairly stock.  The body looks pretty good from what I can tell and the underneath appears a bit oily but pretty clean especially for a truck in my area. 

The interior is incorrect but it doesn't get much simpler to reupholster.  

Under the hood looks a bit crusty but the underneath looks alot better. 

Any pointers or things I should look for?  It would be my first Hudson and the first one I have gone to look at.

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

Congratulations ! Sorry , but I don't know Hudsons. Someone will for sure. But , we have been vicariously enjoying your hunt. What a refreshing difference in this one ! And , hey , I don't know how that interior strikes you , but it is tasteful , and appears to be well done. Just like all the other vehicles you have found , take another driver , and cash. Show car or driver ? Insist on a stone cold start , and drive it every whichaway. Relatively hard , fast , and long. You know what to do. And then buy it ! From the pics and the groundwork you have done , it seems you might regret not buying this one if you don't. But then again , we have all looked at so many cars that you know how the right one kind of gives you that love at first sight feeling ! Next one to post here might be a Hudson authority. - Carl

Buy it. It sure is a big boy, that's a lot of wheelbase. Maybe 129"?, or something like that, I don't recall at the moment. It may look refined, but look at all of those leaves in the rear springs. There must be at least a dozen. This old gal was made for work! I'm sure that you probably already know about Hudson's wet clutch. Expensive to build, but the smoothest and longest lasting clutch available on the market for decades. It shouldn't be touchy or grabby, or engage too close to the top. You'll want to ask questions about it. Whether the current owner has had it apart, if he has changed the fluid and when. The fluid is available through the Hudson club. If you have to replace it, it will cost some real money, but that's not a reason to not buy the truck. For heaven sakes don't think for a second that you might want to replace it with a dry clutch. People who are new to Hudsons sometimes think that they should try to replace the "antiquated" wet clutch with a "modern" dry clutch. Those of us who own Hudsons will tell you that to do so would be to take several steps backwards in quality. It's just that the clutch can be a possible reason that someone might want to sell a Hudson if they find the thought of replacing it daunting. If he seems squirmy on the subject, that might be a price negotiating point in your favor. Other than the clutch, it's fairly straightforward. Brakes, kingpins and steering gear, if it has a lot of miles on it. It doesn't look at all like it's been thrown together for a fast sale. On the contrary, it looks like the sort of vehicle that has had a proud owner, but only a close inspection can confirm that. You might ask if he has any of the paint used on it in case you want to do away with the two-tone look. Other than that, I simply say buy it. If it's as nice as it looks, it's likely that it will be the first of many Hudsons that you'll own. You simply have to own one to know the quality of the engineering. Good luck with the purchase!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Unfortunately the owner passed away so I'm dealing with the relatives so I'm not sure how knowledgeable they are.  The Father had owned it for the last 20 years before he passed.   It's been about a year since. Hopefully I can get some straight answers from the 2 sons I will be dealing with.  They have been a bit slow to get me details but seemed to answer the questions I asked.  They said they weren't in a rush to sell it but would like to see a Hudson enthusiast like their Dad get it several times. 

I actually never knew about the wet clutch.  That would explain the can of Hudson clutch compound I have on my shelf of odd cans.  I have heard they stick when left sitting for any period of time from someone else I inqired into buying a truck from.  The family never mentioned anything about the clutch in this truck. 

I think I counted 14 leaves in the rear springs on each side.  You could probably bolt the axle to the frame solid for a smoother ride. ;)

I've never ridden in a Hudson pickup, but I bet it will ride wonderfully, despite the beefy looking springs. Hudsons were that well engineered. If someone had an experience with a wet clutch sticking after sitting, it probably hadn't been maintained properly. Here's some additional info on the subject:

http://forum.hetclub.org/discussion/139548/wet-clutch-vs-dry-clutch

http://wildrickrestorations.com/hudson-wet-clutch-parts.html

Looks like a good one from here. I think there are more trucks with the later " step down" engines in them then with the original 212

splasher.  The springs work fine with 6-7 leaves removed , or you can replace with passenger car springs.

Ask to drive it for at least a half an hour so you will know if you can tolerate the driving position.

My grandfather had one when I was about 12 years old , he was about 5' 8" , fit him just right.

That truck hooked me on Hudsons , I've owned 13 over the years.

Enjoy your adventure

• Like 1

18 hours ago, roysboystoys said:

Looks like a good one from here. I think there are more trucks with the later " step down" engines in them then with the original 212

splasher.  The springs work fine with 6-7 leaves removed , or you can replace with passenger car springs.

Ask to drive it for at least a half an hour so you will know if you can tolerate the driving position.

My grandfather had one when I was about 12 years old , he was about 5' 8" , fit him just right.

That truck hooked me on Hudsons , I've owned 13 over the years.

Enjoy your adventure

As I said, I've never driven a pickup. Roy, can you elaborate on the "driving position" remark?

I've heard they are a bit cramped for a big guy.  Fortunately even though I'm 6' 1 " I have a very small girth and young enough to be agile.  I've driven lots of cars.  A 60 Corvette, 57 Thunderbird, my wife's VW rabbit, 49 chevy Pickup, 66 Chevy pickup etc.   In pretty much all my old cars comfort has never been a criteria for buying it.  I doubt I will do a whole lot of touring in it. I'm getting it for a more around town type of toy.  I put 1000 miles on my 49 Chevy truck in a year and never went more than a couple miles past my shop. 

It's mostly the vertical seat back and steering wheel angle that most guys feel uncomfortable.

A lot of guys remove the back cushion and make a much thinner one to give more distance to the wheel.

Usually your arms are uncomfortable because you sit close.

The body was made from a 4 door sedan , cut off behind the door post.

Results in a position like driving you car with the seat full forward.

I've seen several modified to use a coupe door with extended roof.

Not every body finds them uncomfortable , there are always several at the Hudson national meets

that are driven long distances.

For around town occasional driving you'll be fine.

It's really the only thing I've ever heard negative , other than the springs , which is easy to fix.

• Like 1

I just got word from one of the sons selling the truck that he believes his Dad had the clutch replaced a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it hasn't had much use since.  He did say his dad was always sure to have the Clutch depressed whenever he stored it for any length of time so he had some knowledge of Hudsons.  That would be great if they had paperwork to that affect but I'm not overly optimistic about that.  

When I see that clutch disc I think, you've got to be kidding. It really does look like wine bottle corks glued to a metal disc.

hudsonclutch10inchback-300.jpg

10 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Clutch plate is not difficult or expensive to reline, all you need is a few bottle corks. Buy them at the hard ware store or save money and get free corks by drinking a lot of wine lol.

They really are ordinary corks. Running in oil, the clutch is very long lived,  smooth and positive. Guys who used to hop them up and race them say clutch slippage is the least of your worries.  You can reline the clutch by sticking corks in the holes and trimming them with a sharp knife to the correct height. Pro tip: Stick half the corks through from one side, and the other half through from the other. If you stick them all in the same way they can work loose.

Hudson dealers used to have a jig that mounted on the work bench that made it easy to put the corks in and trim them to the correct height.

They started using this type of clutch in 1909. This was almost 10 years before the molded asbestos dry plate clutch came in. In those early days it was very hard to make a decent clutch and clutch troubles were common. Hudson solved the clutch problem so well, when the dry plate clutch came in, they saw no reason to change because it offered no advantage over what they were using.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I've often wondered about the early Hudsons, and about the "wet clutch" thing.  I have a 1910 Hudson project, and it very definitely does NOT have a wet clutch, but rather a more standard cone clutch in the flywheel.  See picture attached of the actual clutch.

Thus, I'm thinking the Model 20 Hudsons of 1909-10 did not have wet clutches, maybe came out in 1911 with the Model 33...

flywheel clutch reduced.JPG

after looking at all of the other "projects" I wouldnt fool around on this one. if the price is right, buy the darn thing, because this looks real decent and a little clean up is always in order.

I agree, the interior looks fine by me and I am assuming you want to drive this around and not win a national.

I am sure the sons are not in a hurry-this was their Dad's and often hard to let go of memories.

GL!

^^^ I think you are right about the clutch. Did a search, a history of Hudson says the first fluid cushion clutch was 1910,  while the 1911 model offered an improved multiple disc clutch with cork inserts. I don't know when the modern type dry plate clutch with molded asbestos facing was first use, but Pierce Arrow adopted it in 1918. That is why I said the Hudson wet clutch predated the modern dry plate clutch.

Never had a Hudson but always loved the look of the Big Boy.  I did have a 49 F3 Ford pickup (basically a one ton) and the cab was very cramped for leg movement to the pedals. The springs were just about the same and what a lot of guys do is remove every other one. I suggest you take 2 or 3 out try it and then take more out until you get the ride/feel handeling you like. Remember the ride height will change taking them out also. Have fun it looks like a great deal.  

Hello, looks like a fun truck to drive and enjoy. You state that the motor is a Wasp engine. That would be a 262 ci with twin-H, the twin-H being an option. Does the top of the head next to the thermostat housing say 262? At first glance it looks like a Hudson Jet engine with twin-H. Trucks came with a 212 engine.You can put a 232 head on a 262 engine for more compression. On the side of the engine in front of the first exhaust port, you will see a stamped number running up and down. That number would have matched the vin number on the car that the motor came out of. With that number you can figure out what year the engine is. Xander 

It's possible it could be a Jet motor.  The one son I talked to just said it was a twin H motor.  Someone else that had some knowledge of the truck, that I had reply to my ads and ironically knew about the truck even though they were half way across the country,  thought it was a wasp engine in it.   Though he has never seen the truck he had talked to the owner that passed a few years ago.   We'll see.  If it's any good I'll have it back here to check into.  I imagine even the jet engine would be an improvement over the original engine. 

Well it's in the driveway/ garage now.  It had some negatives I hoped it wouldn't have but some good positives.  It wasn't a simple I'll take it.  I really had to weigh the pros and cons. I worked pretty hard on the price and got them down enough that I think it was fair though.  I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't a freshly restored truck so some stuff is going to show wear tear and general age.   

From 20 feet it looks really good.  10 not bad,  then closer  the flaws start standing out. 

Lets hope when I get it on the road it runs out good.  I wasn't able to test drive it on the highway but I did run it around the yard a little.  Everything seemed to work well.

It's got 2 year old gas in it,  so that alone will help it run alot better along with a light tune up just because i have everything on the shelf.  It still ran fairly good but you could tell lack of use wasn't helping it. 

Cooling was excellent.  25 minutes of idling in the sun at 75 degrees and it was 152 degrees.  The radiator seemed to have a 35 degreee difference top to bottom. 

Clutch seems very good as did the brakes.  Mainly it boiled down to some paint problems in very notice able areas on various surfaces so I had to decide what I could live with and what was I going to use the truck for.

One of the big problems is there aren't alot of them out their so it's not so easy to say I'll go look at the one down the road and see if it's better. 

We'll see.   I actually do like the color in person and you have to see one in person to appreciate the proportions.  

Seating seems very comfortable and really no difference than any 40's -early 50's Ford or Chevy truck i have been in/ driven. 

IMG_4451.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

• Like 1

If you decide you don't want it let me know. I think it looks great in your drive. Have fun with it. Enjoy it before you decide to change anything or take it apart. I would love to find one that looked that good. 

It's going on the road in a week or so.  I just want to give it a once over to make sure it's safe and the e brake is working properly etc.  

I didn't originally care much for the interior choice but it's not terrible in person.  The color combo looks better in person as well. 

I'll get the motor tuned up and get the old gas out then go from their. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've been away for a couple of days, so forgive me for backtracking a little bit. I'm really disappointed to hear about the old problem of driver position/comfort. I had really hoped that the Hudson pickup might be different from other pickups because it was based on a passenger car. I've only owned one pickup in all of my 130+ vehicles. In order to maximize payload space the truck manufacturers make the cabs as short as possible. That places the seat uncomfortably close to the dash for tall guys. But to help squeeze every little bit of space out of the cab, they also use a shorter steering column drop. That places the steering wheel higher than passenger cars. At 5'8" you wouldn't think that I'd be uncomfortable in a pickup, but I have relatively long legs and, thus, a somewhat short torso. I hate driving with a steering wheel in my face. On the right front corner of the block, facing the right side of the truck, is a vertical boss which has the model number and serial number of the engine and the car it came from. Let us know what you find there and we'll decode it for you.

That motor (engine?) started out life in a '49 Super six. That makes it 262 ci. It never had the Twin H option when new, so that's been added later. If you want to sometime, give me the Carter carb tag numbers and the part number on the intake manifold. In any case, you have a nice set up. I presume that it doesn't have an overdrive, does it?

Glad to hear it is a bigger engine. The air cleaners you have are the later style that would go with a 1955 Twin-H set up. They are round in the body shape where they go on the carb, earlier ones had a square shape to the design. As stated before you can bump up the compression with a head swap. Also can not tell in the pictures if you have it, but there is a stock air deflector that goes around the radiator to help close off the big space under the hood. And force more air in the radiator when driving. If you run into cooling problems when driving. I have seen more radiators missing them then having them. I have lots of extra parts for 46-47 Hudsons if you ever need anything for yours. If you have any play in the steering it will most likely be the center pivot, it take the most abuse. Truck should have the larger brakes, same as the commodore when ordering parts. I also have stock radios in both silver and gold backgrounds, the difference in color was for 1946 or 1947 year. You can dress out the truck with some more car trim as well, you all ready have the best dress up items. The fender lights and front bumper, stock truck front bumpers were very plain. Looks like a fun driver, my new truck that I am building is in the painting process. Here is a picture of it before it was torn down to be painted. You can see some of the changes that I made. Chopped three inches, cab stretched seven inches, coupe doors, coupe roof for the curve of the door tops and the drip rail, frame cut in half and stretched seven inches, truck is about 142 inch wheel base now. I also made a new bed for it. removed wing windows, modified car rear fenders for the flat top wheel openings. That was done so I could run the car trim all the way down the side of the truck. Custom pieces were made to wrap the trim around the cab corners. Smooth running boards were made, 1967 fire bird tails, custom rear role pan with exhaust cut outs, smooth fire wall, 1953 modified Desoto dash, power windows, power steering and disk brakes, A/C. Has a fuel injected engine and over drive transmission and a 9 inch ford rear end as well. I am painting it a two tone in Packard colors from the forties, I did tint the paint colors a little to my liking. Will end up with a leather interior and wood grain dash and center console. Should turn out nice, will be a fun driver. Xander      

shop truck 054.JPG

shop truck 022.JPG

shop truck 013.JPG

shop truck 051.JPG

shop truck 046.JPG

I was thinking that was a long stretch.  Makes sense now. 

I've seen the trim before on them.  I do like it.  Not sure if it will make it to mine. 

I would definitely be interested in a radio. 

I was lucky enough to have all the Pickup specific parts be in nice shape. 

Is the higher compression head aluminum or are they iron? 

Maybe I'll pull the number off mine and see what it has on it. 

The aluminum head was for the 308 (Hornet engine) got higher compression but could warp and cause a leaking head gasket. Cast iron ones are better in my opinion, I think the 500 pacemaker head will fit the 262. Some one else can chime in on that one. A stock 262 engine is a great motor. My first Hudson was a 1952 Wasp with a 262 and over drive. Great car, drove it every day. I will look at the radios that I have and get back to you. You can replace the sockets in your fender lights to a duel element bulb if you are going to have turn signals. That way they can light up with your park lights as well. Check out the upper and lower bolts that mount your spindle to the upper and lower A-arms. Every truck I have torn apart those bolts have been so badly worn out, they thread in through the spindle and really take a beating if it was used as a truck over the years.    

I was cleaning out the truck today.  I found the title from 1979, a cancelled check from 1992 when the fellow I bought it from bought it.   He paid alot for it back then and then did a bunch of work on it.  A receipt to rebuild the clock which ironically just starting working after I found the receipt and closed the glove box door. 

I also found a piece of paper with some important info written on it.  

The rear is from a 1970 Torino with 3.0 gears

the engine is of course the 262 from a 1949 and was rebuilt with a .020 overbore and the bearings have been turned down to .020 under. 

It says the front end is a '49 the steering is a 47.    Not quite sure what they mean by that. 

It does have dual fillament sockets in the park lamps.  

I would assume the head must have been milled some if they got that deep in the motor. 

It almost looks like it has a brand new cloth wrapped wire harness in it.  Well atleast new from say 1992.