Barret-Jackson Northeast

John348

Did anyone else notice that the prices seemed to have dropped a lot on many cars? I am pretty sure that  the Briexit event and it's effect on the stock markets might have had some people sitting on their wallets. There were some cars that I knew in person and had seen up close (mostly from AACA meets) I thought would have brought double of what it was sold for this weekend. Again it is a hobby and not a business, I am not in it for the money. I expected to see a drop because of the world market uncertainty, but not to be that drastic. I am glad I did not have a car on the block after the news on Friday morning. 

I agree John. There was one car there that I am very familiar with, a 62 Pontiac that I owned some years ago. It sold for about 40k less than it should have. I don't understand why people can't see that for the most part BJ is the only ones making any money. In the case of the 62 Pontiac the owner took about a 40k beating while BJ made over 12k on the car. Why would anyone run a car through an auction with no reserve? Must be something I'm missing

Yes Tommy, that car was one of the ones I was referring too. I could not believe that car sold as cheap as it did. and the owner can't either.Don't forget to factor in the transportation (from what I understand only certain carriers are permitted on the grounds) and the sellers commission, and the cost of the time slot that car went through the block on. We did a quick email back and forth as it was going on and off the block, I think he was numb. Would it have brought more in the Arizona auctions? Was the Brexit event having an effect? Also lot 607 on Friday was a low I thought I knew that car also, and it was better then the price it commanded, not nearly as nice as the Pontiac, and without all the pedigree that the Pontiac had.

I had another friend of mine sell his 62 Buick convertible at no reserve, he was happy with the price. Based on pictures he was told that it would sell between 25-30K and it landed right in the middle so he got a little more then he expected

Yes Tommy I know him. you know that the circle gets real small with GM cars of this era. We got to know each other over the years from various AACA Meets over the years. I know that  I don't have the stamina for putting a car in an auction. I was surprised knowing the quality of the car and the pedigree that there were not several bidders on it at that price. I think some dealers were hesitant. not knowing how their European customers would react to the Brexit issue, again I am only guessing, but I am baffled. I contacted the past owner right after the hammer dropped via email. he seemed "numb" from his reply back to me

37 minutes ago, John348 said:

Yes Tommy I know him. you know that the circle gets real small with GM cars of this era. We got to know each other over the years from various AACA Meets over the years. I know that  I don't have the stamina for putting a car in an auction. I was surprised knowing the quality of the car and the pedigree that there were not several bidders on it at that price. I think some dealers were hesitant. not knowing how their European customers would react to the Brexit issue, again I am only guessing, but I am baffled. I contacted the past owner right after the hammer dropped via email. he seemed "numb" from his reply back to me

John, was this a red 62 hardtop coupe with AACA and POCI badges on the grille?

Ok, so if you need a decent pick up truck to tow your toys around you drop about 50k on a decent truck with a Duramax or Power Stroke, or Cummings,  five years later and 80 thousand miles it's worth 20 k at best. No one blinks an eye. A car sells for restoration cost or below and people are flabbergasted? Try restoring a pre war car and being under water by 300 or 500 grand. It's a hobby, and ALL antique prices go up and down, art, stamps,coins, furniture, ect. Cars are not immune. Don't you remember the last three times car prices hit the dumps? Enjoy and drive the car, forget about the money, you can't take it with you. If you want to count dollars buy stocks and bonds, but you would probably have a lot more scares than the car market. Ed

• Like 1

"Roll the dice" is right and the house always wins. They really do not want reserve cars and will pressure/charge extra for the privilege. OTOH it takes at least two eager buyers to get the price up, just one will get a bargain.

I generally tape and FF so can get through hours of air time in minutes but did seem prices were a bit down from the left coast. Did seem the restos were bringing the same prices as originals and that may be a trend.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, helfen said:

John, was this a red 62 hardtop coupe with AACA and POCI badges on the grille?

Yes it was, having seen the car in person a few times I can say it is a stunning restoration! Not overdone, just done right. Also the 60 Impala (lot 607 on Friday) 348 four speed car was way below of what they have been going for, I have seen that car a few times very nice but a notch below the Pontiac, but could be brought to that level for a few more $$$

I for one would like to see the antique car market have a badly needed price adjustment. If you want the hobby to survive the price bubble will have to break. Then maybe the younger generation that are interested will be in the price range to afford an antique car. Only problem is there are very few young people that are interested.

Well, in my experience (only a little over 50 years in the hobby),  a lot of people want a "price adjustment" on the cars they'd like to buy, but not so much on the cars they now own.  Human nature, what one wants should be inexpensive, but what one has is

valuable.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

I for one would like to see the antique car market have a badly needed price adjustment. If you want the hobby to survive the price bubble will have to break. Then maybe the younger generation that are interested will be in the price range to afford an antique car. Only problem is there are very few young people that are interested.

Joe, I know what you mean:  Affordability is the way

to get newcomers interested in the hobby.  Thankfully,

there are dozens of affordable models out there.

I don't see a price bubble in actual selling prices.

I think the real price adjustment needs to be in ASKING prices.

The Hershey car corral, in my recollection, used to be full of

realistic asking prices, maybe 10% to 20% above realistic selling prices.

Dealers and some other sellers, I think, need to give up the

practice of listing their asking prices 50% to 100% above

a car's value.  I suppose they're hoping some European

will come along and take the plunge, but it gives a strong impression

of greed and unaffordability--and our hobby is much better than that! 

Newcomers need to get the message somehow, how affordable our hobby really can be,

That's the theme I constantly emphasize to the many newcomers I meet.   

There are plenty of cheap cars to buy.   Across the board prices will continue to decline along with the mechanical skills of the younger generations.  The top 1-5% of the market will do fine as those owner can afford restoration shops to service the cars.  Ultimately there are many things to worry about but collector car prices is not one of them.

And I agree with my buddy Ed,  you only live once so get enjoyment however you happen to do it.   Driving them, polishing them,  sitting in them or simply spending 50 years restoring them.

37 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Driving them, polishing them,  sitting in them or simply spending 50 years restoring them.

What a nice refreshing view, so glad to know it is ok for me to have a car I haven't driven since 1983.

Barrett-Jackson New England was a good show to watch on Velocity, it took what, a day and a half to sell something over $40,000? Tires paint and upholstery on many of them totaled that and more. Lots of people stand to make a profit on the buys that weekend. I watched on and off, never saw any pre 1915 vehicles or Classics from the 1930's. I don't care how you butter one, a Mustang is a Mustang, saw one go for $250,000 so the Briexit has nothing to do with car prices. What was the Auction record setter? Bob

Here is the issue. We just came out of a long period when older cars were both interesting and with a few updates could perform as well on less money than new cars. That is no longer true in fact the market for interesting cars just split three ways:

- oldies but goodies, cars that have always been desirable but are becoming (or have always been) rare. Base beige four doors need not apply unless a Tucker. Halo cars are good.

- restomods: desirable bodies on a four-link with LS engine, Tremec, and AC. AT BJ were bringing the same money as the above

- new rare and desirable. Retractables. 10hp/$1k. Want 700 hp ? $70k. Flappy paddles & digital dashes are in.

Add in the fact that few know how to adjust the spring on the air valve for a 4-Jet on a '57 Buick and the other half of the dilemma emerges, servicing a resto-mod is easy, it will even tell you what is wrong and a big 17 or 18" tire is lots easier to find at a box store than an 8.25x14. Even a '70 is much harder to find anyone qualified to work on or even knows the difference between a 7040262 and a 7040263. (of course a Judge may not know either).

So we have the same or less dollars chasing three times the opportunities. What do you think will happen ?

13 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

pI don't care how you butter one, a Mustang is a Mustang, saw one go for $250,000 so the Briexit has nothing to do with car prices. What was the Auction record setter? Bob

So based on a sale of a Mustang, you feel that it had no effect on pleasure spending that weekend? Most 401K's took a 4-7% hit on one day, with an uncertain Monday to come. Gold took a very sharp rise that day also. I myself would have had second thoughts about plunking down a $100K after several quality cars were bringing close to 40% less then would have gotten 6 months ago. When I saw the car in question a few months ago at the Naples Meet if it were offered to me for what he got at the end of the auction it  would be in my garage now. The car was listed in the catalog for an expected price of 40K more then it went for, that number BJ's people put on the car, not the owner. So if you don't feel these markets have an affect on peoples  discretionary spending that's fine but I strongly disagree, a majority of people don't hide their money in pillow cases any more. I think many of the sellers were victims of the market swing on Friday putting many buyers into "let's wait" mode.

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Hey Bob,  there is  definitely a snobbery in the hobby that says driving the cars is really the only rational fun you can have from owning a car. I totally disagree but it is absolutely out there.

Alsancle, you are 100% correct, it out there and has been for some time

13 hours ago, padgett said:

Add in the fact that few know how to adjust the spring on the air valve for a 4-Jet on a '57 Buick and the other half of the dilemma emerges, servicing a resto-mod is easy, it will even tell you what is wrong and a big 17 or 18" tire is lots easier to find at a box store than an 8.25x14. Even a '70 is much harder to find anyone qualified to work on or even knows the difference between a 7040262 and a 7040263. (of course a Judge may not know either).

So we have the same or less dollars chasing three times the opportunities. What do you think will happen ?

Mr P

What can I say......for that matter what can anyone say. You really think that someone not knowing the difference in a carb number of one digit has an affect on the market value on a car? Or how to adjust a spring on an air valve? really? I don't see it myself at all, or I just don't understand the point you trying to make, everytime I read it it seems like you are trying to tell us something that you know, and want us to know that you know but it is not pertaining  to the conversation.

However I do agree that this past weekend a majority of people in the world did have a lot less money, and I don't think they were chasing or risking on any opportunities. 

The world economics markets have been rebounding the last two days, and if the auction were held this weekend the results might have been much different

• Like 1

There are a minimum of 300 $100 jobs on any old car, minimum. Sometimes you don't need them all, but they will all show up at some point. Someone has to want the car to either do it or pay for it having been done or already completed. It won't be my next generation daughter. She thinks a weekend on the Cape watching seals is more fun than old cars. And I still remember warm spring days opening the door on a mohair upholstered car in a junkyard. I am not really inclined to spend time in the circus atmosphere of car marketing. I still prefer looking at old cars with an agitated red wing blackbird in the background.

I have been to the February Atlantic City auction a few times. I like it, nice off season time of year, some excess stock is being moved for cash flow, and there is always a deal I should have brought home.

We used to sit in on the fall Hershey auction for a rest on Friday afternoon. Much different, more comic memories and really no desire to join "the sip and bid club". Anyone remember the year the review stand jockys didn't know how to start a couple of Duesenberg's? I think that was the year the woman stalled the R Type Bentley on the ramp and it wouldn't restart. We figured they gave her 40 lashes. We also noticed GM A body hardtops were displayed with the doors open, pillared coupes kept the doors closed. And the descriptions didn't get to the level of carb digits. We needed seatbelts to keep us from falling into the aisle and tissues to dry our tear wet cheeks. Nah, auctions aren't for me.

Last night I bought a 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite while sitting in Tim Horton's  having coffee. I may never drive it and it could sit in the corner of the garage looking like a Bugeye. It won't matter. I can enjoy that without driving. It needed a friend. And maybe this winter I'll turn the heat up, rest my feet on the bench while I sit in my pneumatic draftsman's chair and enjoy the shapes around me. When the warm air cycles on I might even remember the red winged blackbird chasing me away from that '40 Pontiac coupe 55 years ago.

Hell, I might even give a nod to that Bugeye and give a little thank you to the Brits for striking a blow against one world government. And THAT is more important that the money.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Agree driving is only one way to have fun with old cars, and a fixation on value is one way to dampen the fun no matter what your approach is.  Be cognizant of it, absolutely.  Unfortunately, consignment with no reserve is a chancy thing, too bad it did not work out for the OP's friend.

Bernie, I really posted to respond to your junkyard memory, I remember a couple trips to the pick and pull with a friend but the junkyard experience that sticks with me was when dad and I were looking for an antique to mess around with - I might have been 14 or so,  We spot a tall and proud '39 Chevy coupe in the middle of a bunch of newer cars, not so much a junkyard as a large repair garage with maybe 30 derelicts on the side in rural CT.  We weave through the other cars to get to the Chevy - a nice car.  Then hear the sound of a chain sliding along the ground hitting various things, "Thunk" - a HUGE junkyard dog popped up onto the hood of one of those old junks to see who was in his yard.  We both made it back to our car in about 3 or 4 steps.  A very vivid memory, but I will take the bird chasing me over that dog anytime!

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Agree driving is only one way to have fun with old cars, and a fixation on value is one way to dampen the fun no matter what your approach is.  Be cognizant of it, absolutely.  Unfortunately, consignment with no reserve is a chancy thing, too bad it did not work out for the OP's friend.

I have six antique cars. One is all original everything and I don't worry too much other than defensive driving and defensive parking. The most recent one I bought two years ago and bought it already done and drive it like the original car above. The other four cars I have done all the mechanicals and paint and body on. Those cars are the ones I am very careful with, I guess because when you do a car all by yourself from top to bottom and inside out there is so much of you in them that you don't want anything to happen to them. I'm talking about accidents or inclement weather etc.

I know a guy who punched out someone for giving his car a door ding. His explanation was there was so much of him in that car that he felt the guy that gave the door ding was disrespecting him personally.

They may be inanimate objects but try doing a complete car by yourself and see if some part of you isn't in that car. There is a difference between one who restores and one that just buys a antique car.

I agree it is a lot of fun driving an old car. But I also get a lot of pleasure fixing it so I can drive it. Currently pulling the engine from the 38 because the rear seal is leaking very badly. My neighbor stopped by and asked why do I bother, why not take it a shop and have it fixed?  My answer was simple it gets me away from the computer, gives me a sense of accomplishment and most of all its just fun getting my hands greasy again. When  I was a kid I worked weekends in a junk yard, my pay was I got any part I needed to keep my 57 DeSoto running and I got to siphon the gas out of any car brought in the yard. Kept that hemi running for 5 years and always had a full tank of gas. My hands were always greasy but I don't think I was ever unhappy or worried. Today I am lucky enough to be able to afford to just take it to a shop but no way is that going to happen. I'm just to happy getting greasy!! Have fun 

• Like 1

It is interesting to have my own anti-glee club, must be doing something rite.

My point was that unlike in the 70s and 80s, hobbyists have a lot of choices other than just nice old cars. Performance (which is really what new car fever in the 60s was about) is better than ever. An LS engine (or a Pentastar or an EcoBoost) is a quantum jump ahead of anything available before the Millennia. Most of which do not involve getting their hands dirty. So antiques today have modern (or resto) competition chasing the same dollars (as does a $100/mo cell phone habit).

Personally I enjoy the driving but have always been a bit of a squirrel. Is why each of my cars has its own door. No over and under. Wrench because I do not trust anyone else.  Play with computers/generators/air conditioners/energy systems. Read books. Fast forward through auctions for the interesting/funny parts. 10 hours of auction in 60 minutes is good for spotting trends. Bright/shiny sells better than patina.

re: Brexit. Americans always overreact. It is our nature. For any perceived threat we throw everything we have at it and hope that it is enough. Long term reality is probably a few months out.

38 minutes ago, padgett said:

It is interesting to have my own anti-glee club, must be doing something rite.

re: Brexit. Americans always overreact. It is our nature. For any perceived threat we throw everything we have at it and hope that it is enough. Long term reality is probably a few months out.

One of the big problems today is America has failed to act. Foreign and domestically.  

Helfen I am not sure I am following you 100% -  I get the work that goes into a full restoration but not sure where you were going with the guy who punched out someone for dinging his door.  He is lucky not to have ended up in jail.    

My philosophy, FWIW is different cars are suited to different uses.  An older restoration for example is an ideal car to drive and enjoy, where one might think twice about a #1 that has been brought to perfection for concours use.  

Also people enjoy these things differently.  Anyone here ever meet Malcolm Pray from CT?  A major collector, Mr. Pray regularly opened his collection up to inner city youth among other groups.  He made it a point to share his thoughts on how to succeed in life (no formal education, grew up poor, but became one of the first/biggest VW/Audi/Porsche importers).  He also let the kids get up close and personal with some very valuable cars.  We were speaking one day and he said "I really don't drive these too much anymore, I don't need a hassle on the road, and seeing the kids with the cars is a lot more fun for me".   Malcolm passed a couple years ago but was a great ambassador for the hobby who simply found another way to enjoy his cars after touring, competitive driving and showing at high end concours.  I love that Bernie is already enjoying the smiling Bugeye, just as much as a prewar car doing a 300 mile tour, all good.

Padgett, agree with your observation as it relates to hot rods and resto-mods, but I kind of think that is a different part of the hobby.  A lot of very well engineered new cars could compete well for someone's dollar looking for a weekend toy vs. a "real" antique or collectible.  A collector on the other hand is probably not cross shopping between a prewar car, 50s-60s sportscar, or a specific, stock musclecar against a 500 HP Corvette or what have you.  I could see the resto mod guys doing that though.

B-J was in my backyard, and a couple friends attended who are into those cars, but I had no interest in burning a half day looking at cars that, if I had taped it, would have fast forwarded through - 90% of what they had, I believe.  We watched maybe a half hours worth on TV...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Helfen I am not sure I am following you 100% -  I get the work that goes into a full restoration but not sure where you were going with the guy who punched out someone for dinging his door.  He is lucky not to have ended up in jail.    

My philosophy, FWIW is different cars are suited to different uses.  An older restoration for example is an ideal car to drive and enjoy, where one might think twice about a #1 that has been brought to perfection for concours use.  

Also people enjoy these things differently.  Anyone here ever meet Malcolm Pray from CT?  A major collector, Mr. Pray regularly opened his collection up to inner city youth among other groups.  He made it a point to share his thoughts on how to succeed in life (no formal education, grew up poor, but became one of the first/biggest VW/Audi/Porsche importers).  He also let the kids get up close and personal with some very valuable cars.  We were speaking one day and he said "I really don't drive these too much anymore, I don't need a hassle on the road, and seeing the kids with the cars is a lot more fun for me".   Malcolm passed a couple years ago but was a great ambassador for the hobby who simply found another way to enjoy his cars after touring, competitive driving and showing at high end concours.  I love that Bernie is already enjoying the smiling Bugeye, just as much as a prewar car doing a 300 mile tour, all good.

His explanation was there was so much of him in that car that he felt the guy that gave the door ding was disrespecting him personally.

In re-reading your reply I see what I missed that was confusing me helfen, your point of course, the 4 restorations warrant more care, selective use and are likely not going to the local Walmart parking lot.  I was distracted by the accounting of the fisticuffs.  

It is funny seeing some of the MB SL guys get into it over the "drive it or your a fool" philosophy.  One extreme is a guy who has 3 - 4 MB SL series cars dating from 1989 to present, all with maybe 300 miles or less.  He wanted a collection of very low mile, original cars and points out his hobby is keeping them in mint, operational condition.  On the other extreme is the camp that says if you are not working towards your 500,000 mile badge, you are not an SL enthusiast.  Same group will lambaste anyone who suggests it might be acceptable to actually let someone else deal with some of the dirty work on repairs and maintenance.  Then there are the rest who simply enjoy there cars one way or another, and watch the occasional insults flying.  Silly I guess...

Hey Guy's

This topic morphed into something totaly different for some reason or another,

bottom line is

Nobody knows what somebody else considers to be fun and enjoyment in this hobby. For some reason or another those who drive their cars presume those who don't are not enjoying themselves or having fun. You seldom ever heard someone who trailers their car to shows criticize those who drive their cars and go to local cruise nights listening to "do-wop" music played way too loud, yet it has become perfectly fine for those who elect to do drive their cars to determine that those who own cars that don't get driven much do not enjoy themselves. This is all done while not knowing how many other cars they might own, or what other activities they might do at another time, (after all we can only drive one car at a time) Many of the people I had met who feel free to criticize those who don't drive do not own a show car, and never will. I do feel a lot of their comments are said out of jealousy if not that then it has to be ignorance. I know I will get hair on some peoples back to stand on end with my comment, but those who don't like my observation, trust me I  don't like the comments on  how I should enjoy the hobby.

Restoration and Preservation, in MY opinion  adding disc brakes vintage air and radial tires and hiding under the word "safety" is not restoration and preservation. When I say this I get the excuse "it's my car and I am free to what I want". That's true, but it is a two way street so if you don't like hearing it maybe you should think twice before you say something about someone else's enjoyment. I am sure there a those who read this and say I am being disrespectful, am I? Anymore then those who say I am not enjoying my cars the way I elect to do so?

Have a nice day

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

1. If I thought I might blow a gasket if somebody touched my car then wouldn't it make sense to not park it so it would be dinged? 

2. I have always had great respect for guys that are teachers, accountants, lawyers (like my dad), etc,  but could do their own restorations.  On the other hand, I'm not subtracting points for the guy that pays somebody much more skilled them him to do the work.

3. Unless the car burns to the ground just about anything can be repaired.   My dad let me drive some pretty nice cars when I was only a teenager and that stuck with me. 

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

1. If I thought I might blow a gasket if somebody touched my car then wouldn't it make sense to not park it so it would be dinged? 

2. I have always had great respect for guys that are teachers, accountants, lawyers (like my dad), etc,  but could do their own restorations.  On the other hand, I'm not subtracting points for the guy that pays somebody much more skilled them him to do the work.

3. Unless the car burns to the ground just about anything can be repaired.   My dad let me drive some pretty nice cars when I was only a teenager and that stuck with me. 

I guess you need all of the facts to place a judgement. The car in question parked far away on half of a end spot. The other half of the car was on a parkway. The guy who owned the car parked it that way incase someone that parked in the next slot got too close his car would be ok. Problem arose when the driver of the other car parked way over the line and into the car in questions space. The problem got bigger when after hitting the car in question with his door the  owner of the car said to the owner of the car in question said "Hey don't get excited it's just a car". After that was said the owner of the car in question pulled the disrespectful driver out of his car through the driver side window opening and took out the disrespectful driver.

The car in question had a nice size ding in it and forced the owner to have to re-spray the whole side of the car so that it's metallic factory paint would match.

The statement "don't worry it's just a car" in reality meant to the owner of the car was. Removing the inner door panel, pounding out the dent, removing trim, metal etching primer, sanding primer, some filler, blocking out the whole side of the car again, primer seal the whole side of the car and then laying coats of paint more wet sanding, clear coat, wet sanding and buffing. Maybe some of you guys can go to your insurance and get this done, but for those who do their own work " don't worry it's just a car" means a whole lot more than that.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Ok, I get it.   Reminds me a bit of a story my dad tells about taking us for ice cream  in the early 70s or late 60s.  He took one of his nicer cars and parked 300 feet away from everyone dead alone in a parking lot.   A car pulled in and pulled up right next to us (with about 400 open other spots) and opened the door right in to the side of my dad's car.

I vacillate between thinking most people are intelligent and try to do the right thing and most people are complete idiots.  Just depends which day you ask me.

This has been covered elsewhere I think, but there is some psychological term that speaks to one's jealousy that may make certain people behave in such a manner, while not consciously committing vandalism, it is kind of the same thing...

OK John, we really took your values thread off line.  so I will make one more comment that might drive it back.  I can kind of see where timing might have been a bit off for B-J this past weekend with market swing getting a lot of pre weekend press, but not sure I would chalk the results up to that.  I cannot speak for anyone else but I keep investments separate from fun money, and look long term.  I would imagine many, not all granted, might do the same.  I suppose if one is closer to retirement and hasn't rebalanced accordingly to trade returns for stability, or they are ultra conservative, they might react in such a way, but I really think the bottom line is the market adjusts and shifts constantly.  I could rattle off a dozen cars I am shocked sell as cheaply as they do and a dozen that I am shocked sell for the big dollars that they do, I am sure each of us could and there would be a lot of variation on our lists.  The real question is what drives one, value trends or collecting what interests one.  The market is merely a reflection of those lists coming together and enough commonalities to drive prices up or down on a given car.  And once in a while, an anomaly happens.  I do not know enough about the vehicle/type/era that you are mainly interested in but the question I would think is whether it represents a trend or an anomaly.  One car may not be enough data?

I was going to comment that historically New England has not been a great place for car auctions but maybe Owl's head or Greenwich have had some success lately.  Also, a first time event on a weekend after a major down stock week is not helpful

Being into automotive trivia for over 50 years, I have noticed one thing. Cars generally have more door dings down the driver's side. I think I know who hasn't been paying attention.

Trying to do the right thing might be determined by your seat location.

Bernie