Proper name for ignition wires carrier is it a Conduit , Pipe , Raceway ?

Mark Gregory

Guest AlCapone

I won a 1931 Reo Royale and the ignition wires run together across the head in Pipe - Conduit - Raceway  to the spark plugs . Could someone please give me the proper name of this carrier for the wires .

Why do you ask, does yours need replacing ? Wayne

John that is exactly what I called it . The spark wire distribution tube .

Wayne my original is rotted out but when I bought my car someone had supplied a reproduction part . 

It does not match the original exactly but will do the job .

Frank29u the way your tube is flared is how my original looks . The replacement looks like a shower curtain rod pipe and not flared .

I was wondering for other Royale owners looking for this part what it was called . 

Thanks

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Wayne my original is rotted out but when I bought my car someone had supplied a reproduction part . 

Frank29u the way your tube is flared is how my original looks . The replacement looks like a shower curtain rod pipe and not flared .

I was wondering for other Royale owners looking for this part what it was called . 

Thanks

e

Hopefully someone with the same car will see your post and send you a photograph. That way you at least know what you are looking for. Good luck. Wayne

Thanks

I think I have an extra one. If yours is supposed to look like mine, maybe we can deal.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Since we are on this subject, I have a tech question. I have the exact same tube that keiser31 has in post #11. I have my engine painted and the loom/conduit freshly powder coated black. As you can see in the photo, the tube attaches to the top of the cylinder head via two of the head studs. Now, you are supposed to tighten and loosen cylinder head stud nuts in a certain order and in measured increments. Can I safely just loosen those two nuts, or do I have to loosen all stud nuts to install the tube?

How the heck did they do the install at the factory? As far as I know, the entire engine assembly (motor, trans, water pump, cylinder head) was painted in one shot. Since the cylinder head bolts would have also been painted at the same time, like mine are, I find it hard to believe the factory would then remove the nuts and install the tube. And if they left them off, wouldn't that mess up the head? Maybe they left all the nuts loose, left those two studs bare, installed the tube later on the assembly line and then torqued the nuts down. It would probably mess up the paint on the stud and nuts, but in mass production, and on an engine, would they really care?

Anyone see why my wife claims I get a bit anal when working on my car? :)

Guest AlCapone

Since we are on this subject, I have a tech question. I have the exact same tube that keiser31 has in post #11. I have my engine painted and the loom/conduit freshly powder coated black. As you can see in the photo, the tube attaches to the top of the cylinder head via two of the head studs. Now, you are supposed to tighten and loosen cylinder head stud nuts in a certain order and in measured increments. Can I safely just loosen those two nuts, or do I have to loosen all stud nuts to install the tube?

How the heck did they do the install at the factory? As far as I know, the entire engine assembly (motor, trans, water pump, cylinder head) was painted in one shot. Since the cylinder head bolts would have also been painted at the same time, like mine are, I find it hard to believe the factory would then remove the nuts and install the tube. And if they left them off, wouldn't that mess up the head? Maybe they left all the nuts loose, left those two studs bare, installed the tube later on the assembly line and then torqued the nuts down. It would probably mess up the paint on the stud and nuts, but in mass production, and on an engine, would they really care?

i

If the car gets you anal maybe you should change hobbies! Wayne

I have had this conversation with myself a few times. You forgot to mention the horn. It also mount UNDER the cylinder head nuts and it is black. I can only think that the factory DID torque the head down and later loosened the four nuts to mount the horn bracket and spark plug wire distribution tube.

Mark, I can only tell you that in all the books I have, Ford called them "Conduits". As for other makes I don't know.

VW and Porsche also call them the spark plug wire conduits.

BTW those tubes cause more trouble than they are worth. Vibration of the engine causes wires to chafe. Ignition spark induction causes the cylinder which is being fired to cross or jump to the next spark plug wire and fire the wrong cylinder. 

As ignition systems starting in the mid 50's became more powerful the manufacturers stopped making them.

VW and Porsche also call them the spark plug wire conduits.

BTW those tubes cause more trouble than they are worth. Vibration of the engine causes wires to chafe. Ignition spark induction causes the cylinder which is being fired to cross or jump to the next spark plug wire and fire the wrong cylinder. 

As ignition systems starting in the mid 50's became more powerful the manufacturers stopped making them.

Yep. They can give a heck of a light show at night if the wires are rubbed raw.