How rare is this Tatra

Ed Luddy

Seen this for sale on kijiji today in my hometown, Wow! there is some odd cars coming up for sale around here.

Also was a Cord Beverly sedan for $4200, parts car 

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/city-of-toronto/tatra-603/1101258003?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

" Very rare Tatra 603. Particular by the whole concept, including the rear mounted aircooled 6 cylinder engine. The body of this car is completely solid, so free from serious rust. The red cloth interior is still totally original. The engine runs well'post-153346-0-96915400-1441834616_thumb.

They were an Eastern European luxury car. Not very many were built, but they are still seen in Eastern Europe.

The example for sale above, seems to be in excellent condition. If you want one, you probably won't get another chance to get a good one so cheap. And one in poor condition or needing parts, would be a nightmare to restore on this side of the water.

I think they are very cool but I am a fan of the unusual, especially the rear engine cars like Tucker, Porsche, Corvair and VW. A Tatra would be the centerpiece of a rear engine car collection unless you were lucky enough to get a Tucker.

See the Tatra 603 in action in this vintage promotional film

Now that's motoring!

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

From the photos in this thread, the Tatra is Edsel ugly, in my opinion; however, with an air-cooled rear engine, it is certainly an interesting car.  Ugly or not, it's cool, and I'd like to have one.  As Rusty said, obtaining parts for it could be a nightmare.

An interesting car, thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Grog

There is probably a Tatra club, or at least an

informal affiliation of a few owners, somewhere

in the United States.  Almost certainly there

would be one in Europe.  That would help a 

new owner with parts and information.

There's seemingly a club for everything in 

this wide hobby of ours!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

There has also been one advertised in Hemmings for several months now.

Was that a very young Vladimir Putin behind the wheel?

A rear engine car with IRS has fantastic traction in the worst conditions. Sealed engine compartment allows driving thru deep water without killing the engine. But the part I don't believe is where they roll the car down the hill and it doesn't so much as scratch the paint. No telling how many cars they wrecked making the film.

Professional stunt driver. You would not get away with hanging the tail out like that unless you were an expert. Take it from an old Corvair pilot lol.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
Guest Electricben

Hanski you are quite right what other are missing totally.

This Tatra was only available with an aircooled V8 engine, just like the elder Tatra models.

"A rear engine car with IRS has fantastic traction in the worst conditions"

a ) until it doesn't which can be sudden.

b ) for the rear wheels

ps a Honda S2000 has IRS and 50-50 weight distribution. So does my Jeep.

Guest AlCapone

Very, very ugly in my opinion. Nice thing about it is that it makes your other cars in the driveway look fantastic no matter what they are, Ugh! Wayne

Very, very ugly in my opinion. Nice thing about it is that it makes your other cars in the driveway look fantastic no matter what they are, Ugh! Wayne

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Wayne.  I agree with Rusty, these are an awesome automobile.  There is one here as well as two of the four cylinder Tatraplans.  I've seen the 603 in action and its performance is surprising, considering it is a heavy car and the V8 is only 2.5 litres.  I think there is a perception amongst people in the western world that anything built behind the iron curtain  was poorly designed and constructed (think Trabant!).  It is true that Tatras were hand built by political prisoners, but they were for members of the communist elite and because of that the attention to detail and quality of construction was excellent.  Likewise the engineering.  The only complaint I've heard was that the column mounted four speed shift lever is rather vague because of the length of the linkage to the rear of the car.

Terry  

Guest AlCapone

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Wayne.  I agree with Rusty, these are an awesome automobile.  There is one here as well as two of the four cylinder Tatraplans.  I've seen the 603 in action and its performance is surprising, considering it is a heavy car and the V8 is only 2.5 litres.  I think there is a perception amongst people in the western world that anything built behind the iron curtain  was poorly designed and constructed (think Trabant!).  It is true that Tatras were hand built by political prisoners, but they were for members of the communist elite and because of that the attention to detail and quality of construction was excellent.  Likewise the engineering.  The only complaint I've heard was that the column mounted four speed shift lever is rather vague because of the length of the linkage to the rear of the car.

Terry

[/quoTerry I agree with the eyes of the beholder suggestion. Sometimes strikingly different promotes lack of appreciation.

I will bow to your superior knowledge and apologize if I have offended anyone.

Wayne