Today’s craigslist review

benjamin j

I read the local paper first then craigslist. I skip the comics in the paper because I know I am going to get plenty of humor on craigslist. Today I even replied to an ad.  The ad was for a 1937 olds with all the windows shot out. It was sunk into the ground about a foot and had stuff growing up through it. The ad says that the car will need restored (sometimes they say needs a complete restoration) so I replied with   are you sure it will need restored?  Can it be driven the way it is? The pictures you posted are confusing me because it looks pretty good.    I reply about once a week to ads like this but seldom do I get a response.

Guest AlCapone

You must be retired to devote your time to this search every day. If you had a project you would be lucky to have this foolin time once a month !

I actually work full time at my own business which is old car parts so I consider the craigslist search business as well.  I search it twice a day.  Cover 10 areas and it takes around 5-8 minutes.  I do it while I'm eating.  If you leave your search up and do it by list it's pretty darn quick.  I actually search ebay, hemmings, and the Hamb as well twice a day for cars along with this site.  It's nice to be the early bird once in a while instead of the crow picking up left overs.  

• Like 1

I tried looking for thie Olds ad out of curiosity but didn't find it anywhere. Maybe the guy pulled it?

OK, good ... glad to know I wasn't the only one who couldn't find it.  I'm curious to see it now, too!

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Swinging for the bleachers in the 9th inning" __ Michael Martin Murphy __ 'Still Taking Chances'

I read the local paper first then craigslist. I skip the comics in the paper because I know I am going to get plenty of humor on craigslist. Today I even replied to an ad.  The ad was for a 1937 olds with all the windows shot out. It was sunk into the ground about a foot and had stuff growing up through it. The ad says that the car will need restored (sometimes they say needs a complete restoration) so I replied with   are you sure it will need restored?  Can it be driven the way it is? The pictures you posted are confusing me because it looks pretty good.    I reply about once a week to ads like this but seldom do I get a response.

Actually you can't blame him for posting it the way he did.  If you have ever sold anything on Craigslist you need to point out the obvious, because some people just don't get it and will ask you the stupidest questions that you can clearly see the answer to in the pictures. 

I sold a 4 year old truck that I never used in the winter stored in a heated garage year round and even posted pictures of the undercarriage which you could see looked as if it was built yesterday.  The first question I got from most of the people who inquired was it really rust free? 

As a famous person once said "here's your sign"

• Like 1

I keep CL on my favorites bar, have found quite a few interesting things there. Are many rust free and interesting cars here, first got into Reattas because Buick would dump them in Orlando. Two of my current cars, the scooter, and the travel trailer were found on CL.

Never shopped Craigs list, has anything worth while ever turned up there? Bob 

I bought a brand new, 3 cylinder, two stage pump for my compressor for 60 bucks. In the factory box with all the hang tags. I had my gas and arc welders listed there. They're both good, although I still have them. I need to relist them

It seems to be a national pass time to rag on Craigslist. I doubt that there are any more flakes or scammers there than on eBay or any other "for sale" site. Just because someone can't spell or construct a sentence or has a lousy camera, people assume it's a scam or there's something wrong. We're not all Rhodes Scholars or Ansel Adams

Can it be driven the way it is? The pictures you posted are confusing me because it looks pretty good.    

Hah! I responded to an eBay listing like this one time.  The guy posted a picture of an early 20's truck frame with cowl attached, the engine block still in place and four wheels without tires for a couple thousand dollars. I said "If I bring some gas could I drive it home?" His response..."You should probably bring a battery too".  :lol:

I took this picture today while juggling things around in the garage:

post-89785-0-57490400-1440280528_thumb.j

It's the '48 Packard I bought on Craigslist last year from a guy who was celebrating the 30th anniversary of his 50th birthday. I had to do a little reassembly and put a new battery in it. He wanted $2,000 for it so I said "sure" and picked it up the next day.

I know a lot of guys won't tell how much they pay for stuff. I think some figure if they told it would affect their selling. I've never suffered from that kind of inhibition. They always leave me much more reliable than they were when they came.

Bernie

• Like 2

More the exception than the rule I did see a 1938 Cadillac V16 Convertible sedan( with pictures)less it's V16 but otherwise complete with full upholstery top and original paint albeit a bit worn for sale outside of Boston for $2500 probably about 4 years ago.  Needless to say it was only listed for about 3 hours.  I saw it again with nothing done to it within 2 weeks on ebay where it sold for either $20,000 or $30,000.  I'm thinking High 20's but don't recall the exact number. 

Bob, I've noticed a lot of 1970's and 1980's cars

on Craig's List--in various states of preservation,

some poor, occasionally an excellent low-mileage

example.  Cars on the cusp of collectibility.

Sometimes they are advertised by car hobbyists,

sometimes by someone who just has a nice old car

in the family.

One person on this forum found a 1920 Gardner,

restored.  In fact, the Gardner registry didn't even

know the car existed!

I was searching for 1970's cars, so I can't say how

good Craig's List is for desirable collectible cars.

What other excellent antique cars have other people found?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Then some decent cars.  This would be fun to own and seems reasonable priced. http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5185908790.html00T0T_iIyrnhPWrbO_600x450.jpg00Q0Q_6LWKDvY5SIE_50x50c.jpg00J0J_3pxaebM0krI_50x50c.jpg1963 Ford falcon 2dr wagon all original it has a 170 straight 6 with 3-speed standard transmission. The paint is original and still looks good with a solid body. The interior is in good original condition for a driver. The car was never restored just kept up with throughout the years. This car runs and drives good with some carburetor problems with everything in good working order. Please keep in mind this car is not restored but just a good old driver that you can put the grandkids in the back and go get ice cream with and just have fun with it. First $5,000 FIRM call me at 

Actually this one doesn't seem too bad from the same CL either except for the ugly interior.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5186189585.html

00m0m_ecKH4tRsoPr_600x450.jpg

This is a good cruise night fun car , it looks great in the pictures but it needs to be restored again , the restoration is about 20 years old and is a good 20 footer 292-4bbl automatic trans with glass pack duel exhaust ,

I've bought a few things off craigslist, most recently a pair of freshly powder coated stock wheels. For 30 bucks, I couldn't have even cleaned up a free pair for the cost of these. I've also bought a number of decent low end cars, mostly 60's big Chevys, Pontiacs, etc. I read the ads carefully, and look for clues in the background of photo's, especially cars, before I make a call. In the case of the wheels, the photo was taken on a nice garage floor with what appeared to be a nice old pick-up in the background. I know it probably makes little difference, but it helps me at least try to separate what I feel could be another car enthusiast, from..... let's say a crack dealer, lol!

I am, however, very reluctant to place an ad. I can somewhat control the number of fruitcakes I contact, but when you place an ad you have no control over the number of fruitcakes that contact you. That's not to say no one has ever considered me to be a fruitcake, though, lol! The point being, there are way too many venues to advertise auto related items to fellow enthusiasts, than to risk the criminal element often associated with craigslist, invited to my home.

I know others probably frown upon it but I don't include my phone number in my ads only email.  I don't want to spend hours talking to guys who aren't really interested in my car and will never come to look at it.  My ads are pretty well written and my responses are very clear and to the point with very detailed information.  I'm pretty sure anyone interested,  gets the idea that the car is legit.    Of course they are always priced around market price as well.  How many scams do you see with cars priced at market pricing?