Flat Head, what's it fit? Possible early Chevrolet?

Dan Marx

I would say the 1955 is a casting date, it isn't on a separate tag like most rebuilders tags I have seen. The part # starts with a M, perhaps the military version of an industrial engine. Not many automotive side valves by 1955, but quite a few industrials.

Greg in Canada

Guest Flyer1

The cast "cl" is indeed a Continental logo..at least according to a Continental block with the same logo...just my 2 bobs worth.

post-151061-0-48622500-1435395849_thumb.

The only thing that I'll add is that there is an elbow pipe fitting screwed into the top of the head near the rear. If this was for a heater, although it wouldn't necessarily have to be, it would likely indicate that this engine was in a vehicle of some sort, as opposed to being in a fixed piece of equipment.

Guest Flyer1

I am just wondering on the M600A327S ? ,the prefix used in Continentals usually started with C,"M"  perhaps denoting the type of vehicle that the particular type of engine/head was assigned to during manufacture ?, don't know, not a lot of info. around about these things other than that C400 was 4 cylinder & C600 was 6 cylinder version ?, what the rest of the codes mean is a bit of a mystery,the "extra" pipe sort of denotes a heater which as already said would tend to make one think that it's application was for "passenger vehicle"...interesting....they did make engines for various other applications?...

Edited by Flyer1 (see edit history)

Guest Flyer1

After looking at other pictures !, the fitting, (on the back of head,drivers side) that might be "assumed" as being a heater outlet?...it would more appear that the  "outlet" originally would have been used as the Temp. gauge sender fitting but looks like a pipe fitting has been screwed in ?..certainly looks Continental , if it was a heater fitting there would have to some sort of return to the cold side of the cooling system?

Other than that...this is looking at the front of a C600

post-151061-0-64513800-1436000929_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, that's a great link.  I have often wondered about foundry marks on old castings but seldom if ever encountered identification.  Now I know CL is Lakey, CWC is Campbell, Wyant & Cannon { a mark I have seen many times } and WF is Wilson.  Another piece in the puzzle !

Greg in Canada

The head fits a Continental Engines M600 series engine and the 1955 casting date is correct. The M600 series was available a several different configurations. This piece appears to employ the head mounted distributor while other versions used a magneto that ran off the timing gears.

Kaiser-Frazer heads had the distributor mount between spark plugs 4 and 5.