AACA Mailer Arrived today

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

Got a "Important Notice" mailing card today regarding an AACA 80th Annv album with the request to call 800-598-4395 to "verify" my information.  Is this legit??

Says it is from the Publication Office out of Chesapeake VA.

Gents, it is legit.  I have a copy of the last publication and it is interesting reading not to mention informative.

Peter J.

The club did the same thing for the 75th Anniversary.  If you call the number, the vendor who prepares the book will:

#1   Verify your membership info.

#2   Try to sell you the book.

#3   Offer to sell you space in the book to tell your story and ad pictures (Of old cars, of course)

Peter is right, it's a nice book with some great stories and pictures.  If you would like to see your story in a nice publication, you'll be happy with it, but you'll pay a $ price for the notoriety.  

• Like 1

Would this be a venture that is AACA sponsored? The publishing company has to get names and addresses somehow. ROA had to deal with a book company that was sending similar notices to members many years ago and it was a real debacle. Members thought it was an ROA sponsored program and felt obligated. I think at the time that book was $75 which was a very poor value. That whole program was a borderline scam the way it was marketed. Just wondering if this is same type.

It is not a scam!  Again, we did this book for our 75th and thousands of members bought the book.  Was everyone perfectly happy?  No, but most were and the book was a great money maker for the club and provided a good service to the members.  It is totally VOLUNTARY.  The email gives you an opt out if you do not wish to receive more.  It may very well have been the same company although there are several in the field in regards to the ROA book.

My experience is that not everyone reacts the same way to the calls and marketing.  I have listened to many since they are taped.  There are a lot of factors how people perceive these projects which are done by colleges, fraternities, car clubs etc.  To those who get involved we say a hearty thank you as it helps mightily to keeping our dues far below the majority of the large national clubs.  To those that pass, no problem and thanks anyway. 

Guest AlCapone

If the production is anything like the last one it will indeed be money well spent. A little pricey but a true keep sake and a wonderful gift !

Wayne

Guest my3buicks

I'm not thrilled to receive this kind of marketing.  You can bet it won't be the only one we get from this company now.

Don't get upset, it a membership roster for AACA that's voluntary. It's a way for AACA to make membership

information available to members via this publication. Your information is not sold, it's published in a

book to those who have an interest in the AACA. The cost of gathering the published information, editing

printing and marketing is done by the publisher instead of AACA. It's voluntary..........

I can tell you that the 75th Anniversary edition was great, but not as complete as I would have liked

because the fear mongers were against it and didn't participate.

Sometimes when somebody on this Forum writes something that interests me I look at their profile and find

that many of us hide from the world when in actuality we all like old cars and share a common interest and

are actually interesting people.

Remember you can Google anybody, but a membership rosters contains only the information you decide to share.

• Like 2

I called and gave list of my cars and addresses and telephone numbers.  The gal didn't know how to spell Studebaker should have been my first clue.  Costs should have been more up front.  I didn't discover it was a marketing call untill the end.  She mentioned 49.95 and the soft bound at 20.00 less.  I happened to ask how much was going to charged to my card and it was over a hundred dollars.  Took me completely by suprise.  I had given my card number before the total was made clear.  I hope I don't end up paying for someones vacation in Hawaii.  If I have to cancel this card, I am going to be upset. 

First of all, we did this program for our 75th Anniversary and almost 6,000 people bought the books in one form or another.  It is VOLUNTARY and some people love it, some are indifferent and some hate it.  AACA does not sell information to ANYONE.  This is a program that AACA contracts for and is paid a very nice royalty which helps defray club expenses and keep your dues low.  They have to contact all of our members and they are not car people so you may get someone who can't even spell Ford!!!  If the program was not so well received last time the board would not have agreed to do this again. 

We did not hear of one instance of credit card theft as a result of the last project so I would not anticipate any problem with this one. 

If you wish to become involved and get a book as a keepsake great...you are supporting the club.  If you do not wish to be involved with this we apologize for your inconvenience.

• Like 1

I called today - lady that answered was perfectly nice  - took my limited information - offered the publication no pressure - easy process!

Our board and staff wouldn't sign us up for anything off or crooked. Old car people are still generally pretty square dealers!

I can tell you that the 75th Anniversary edition was great, but not as complete as I would have liked

because the fear mongers were against it and didn't participate.

First of all, we did this program for our 75th Anniversary and almost 6,000 people bought the books in one form or another.  It is VOLUNTARY and some people love it, some are indifferent and some hate it.  AACA does not sell information to ANYONE.  This is a program that AACA contracts for and is paid a very nice royalty which helps defray club expenses and keep your dues low.  They have to contact all of our members and they are not car people so you may get someone who can't even spell Ford!!!  If the program was not so well received last time the board would not have agreed to do this again. 

We did not hear of one instance of credit card theft as a result of the last project so I would not anticipate any problem with this one. 

If you wish to become involved and get a book as a keepsake great...you are supporting the club.  If you do not wish to be involved with this we apologize for your inconvenience.

Fear mongers.......gotta love it. I'm always amazed at the reaction that people have, since the inception of the WWW, to these sorts of ads and marketing methods. Their, ever shrinking, "personal space" has been invaded. Every offer is a scam. Every sender is Nigerian. Every marketing ploy is an attempt to steal their identity and rob them of their life savings. How dare they!!!

These "vanity books" have been around forever. I have one, printed in 1900, or so, on the people of Wood County, Ohio. You paid to have your bio and your picture printed in these books. Of course, every one in them was portrayed as the finest man ever to walk the earth. God fearing and of the highest morals. One even went on to rant, for half a page, about how he was taken advantage of by unscrupulous neighbors. If you're a scaredy cat, then just ignore them and hide under the bed until the boogey man goes away

Based on the 75th issue I saw at a fleamarket, you are buying a collection of peoples stories. If you actually enjoy those family updates that some people send in Christmas cards bragging about themselves, you may find the AACA publiction of interest.

Robert, you already said you would not spend your money on it.  That is your right. No one is being harmed by being in this book and no one is harmed by being out of it so no need to poke fun at those who are in this book. Those who do enjoy seeing their cars and family in a book should not be considered as bragging.  They love their cars just like you love your cars and hobby.  Lots of our members do enjoy reading about other peoples cars and thank god or we would not have a world class magazine!  Time for all of us to agree to disagree.  I love Oldsmobiles, others like Fords, we all do not have to think alike but let's be respectful of others!   

• Like 1

Guest AlCapone

Sometimes it is in the best interests of all concerned to close a post. The original question has indeed been answered. In my opinion that point has now been reached. So why don't we all move on ! IMHO, Wayne

As an old timer I enjoyed the 75th book immensely. Almost like a family photo album I can open it and reminisce about how the AACA and particularly Hershey has played such a large role in my life and now my Son's life over the last 46 or so years. I too am normally skeptical of such offerings but the 75th anniversary book was the real deal.

• Like 1

I got the email version yesterday and out of curiosity, being a relatively new card-carrying AACA member. called the number. The lady who answered was polite, courteous and attempted to answer all my questions in a straightforward manner. Now, I actually enjoy folks stories about their cars and their adventures with them and opted for the soft bound edition. The jolt - which I should have expected - was the difference in price due to the current exchange rate with Canada. That is just the way things are - nobody's fault. She assured me that if for any reason I was dissatisfied, I could return the book for a refund. Seems pretty honest to me.

I know that clubs of every persuasion rely on fund raisers to survive and this seems to me to be a great way to get something enjoyable for your donation.

'Nuff said.