Question about collector car insurance

Guest Will C

Come April My insurance will be coming due for my 1919 Model T Ford touring car. Im with Hagerty right now and have been for 7 years but I'm thinking of shopping around. My use of the car is mainly driving on tours, Some club related and some on my own. Once in a while to take the family to a nice restaurant. Towing is important to me so thats a big factor. Old lizzy isn't as young as she used to be. Who do you all use?

I'm thrilled with Hagerty and they even cover my business insurance needs. Given the single somewhat large claim I've had with them (no hassles at all) and the cost of my very affordable yearly premium with $0 deductible, it's going to be many years before I repay all that money back in premiums. I'm very satisfied.

I had Hagerty for years insuring 6 cars. One year when renewal time came around I did some comparison shopping. Absolutely comparing apples to apples coverage wise I saved about $500 year by going with Heacock. They have towing coverage, an AACA discount, and actually more flexible usage. Can't comment on claim service since I've never had one......................Bob

I have had Hagerty coverage on my collector cars for over 8 years now, but with no claims. I'm very satisfied with their service and hope I never have a need to evaluate their claims service. I think Heacock has been around for quite a while, so they must also be doing something right.

It's nice to have a choice.

Cheers,

Grog

I've had Hagerty for 15-20 years. I had my first real claim this year with the fire damage of my 60 fuel injected corvette. I think a few things could have been handled better and it took almost 2 months to get it resolved, but in the end they came through with a very fair settlement. I still have them. Would another company have handled it better? I'm not sure. Anything but a C1 Corvette and it would have been much quicker settlement I think. The adjuster wasn't experienced in adjusting Corvettes so it took longer to write up the report and source parts.

Hagerty here too for the 5 cars I have and had them for three I don't as well.

Opt for the Hagerty Plus add-on........that will cover on-the-road emergency service as well as a significant portion of any trailering/towing bills.

It costs an additional $30 a year.

I can't even WALK very far for $30 a year....... :o

I rarely go 30 miles from home so it's perfect for me.

There are more comprehensive options >>> http://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Hagerty-Plus-Roadside-Service-and-Benefits

Guest my3buicks

I have Hagerty, I ran into a bad streak of luck the last couple hears, I lost a Reatta in an accident and last summer I lost to national show winning Buicks, a Reatta conv and a Centurion Conv in a garage fire. Hagerty could not have handled the claims any better, they were quick, courteous and paid the claims without any issues. I would never consider leaving them.

Ok guys, I guess I'll stick with Hagerty. Iv been with them for 7 years and no complaints. A model T is also referred to a Tin Lizzy. Shes a great 97 year old car and takes me to point A and brings me back to point B 99% of the time without any problem. I've only ever had to have it towed once when the old cork float in the carb crapped out for this ethanol fuel we are forced to use. There was a couple of times during the ride I had to tell the rollback driver to slow down on the bumps as he was bouncing the car around kinda bad.

I have several cars with Hagerty. Probably 20 years or so.

I had been paying a little extra for towing. When I needed them for towing I was told that I was only good for some short distance (like 10 miles or something ridiculous). But if I had my credit card with me they would upgrade me and come and tow me.

I felt like I was being held hostage and declined and hitched home and got my trailer.

I have a large motorhome and I thought that if I was going to pay for towing insurance I should get a policy that would tow anything I might need moved. I got that thru Good Sam. The only problem is trailers which I seem to tow fairly often. They will only tow a trailer if there is some other vehicle in or on it, like a boat, motor cycle, car etc. If I go on a long jaunt with an empty trailer I put my little Honda scooter in there so that I would be eligible for the trailer to be dealt with as well in case of a breakdown.

As for Hagerty, I still insure my collectables with them for the reasons that previous posts suggest. Good service.

I tried to save a few bucks by switching away from JCTaylor (no claims). After a bad claim experience with American Modern, I switched to Hagerty after shopping around. I felt they had the best value for the best service based on feedback I have seen. Heacock would have been my second choice.

Only complaint I have about Hagerty is that they wouldn't insure my 1992 Acura on an agreed value policy due to the old average age of my daily drivers. (1990,1996,1997 and 2005). My DD policy won't insure it as on an agreed value policy because it's not 25 years old.

Price isn't everything. Service is paramount when you're dealing with your pride and joy. Hagerty gives the best service I've encountered. Their people are the best, too. There is no insurer that gives back to our community like Hagerty does. Their Youth Judging and Driving Experience put them head and shoulders above the rest.

You're right, it makes no sense because you're paying for liability insurance twice. You can have as many cars as you'd like on a policy and only pay for liability once as you can only drive one at a time. Yes, I know that technically someone else could drive another car, but that's the reasoning.

I have Hagarty for one and American Collector for the other. Why, good question.
You're right, it makes no sense because you're paying for liability insurance twice. You can have as many cars as you'd like on a policy and only pay for liability once as you can only drive one at a time. Yes, I know that technically someone else could drive another car, but that's the reasoning.

That's right. You should get a multi-car discount with both with the same company.

I take that one step (perhaps two) my three vehicles and personal property are insured by the same insurer

That's right. You should get a multi-car discount with both with the same company.

I take that one step (perhaps two) my three vehicles and personal property are insured by the same insurer

Holy cow. I do have my everyday cars and house on one policy, but never dreamed of putting the old guys on "farmers." Didn't think I'd get any deals with them. I'll be honest.....both companies think each car is in the garage and I only have room for one. The one that sits out is our Home Depot truck,although nice.

I have Hagerty, but my dad has been with Condon and Skelly for 30+ years. The thing I don't like about Condon and Skelly is that they make him send in the cars odometer mileage each year. I don't think the car he has covered with them (a 1941 Cadillac) has had 500 miles put on it in a single year in over 20 years. I could understand them wanting the yearly mileage on something from the 1960's or newer since there could be a chance it is being driven as an everyday car, but for something that old I think its ridiculous. I tell my dad to switch to Hagerty (who doesn't ask for mileage), but he won't out of habit.

Then you wouldn't qualify. Do you think they couldn't tell if a building or car fell on a vehicle parked outside? I guess that's a risk you've decided to take.
No bldgs to fall, only an oak tree. For $100 a year, it is the chance I'll take. Like I said, it's our Home Depot truck. (:

I have Hagerty, but my dad has been with Condon and Skelly for 30+ years. The thing I don't like about Condon and Skelly is that they make him send in the cars odometer mileage each year. I don't think the car he has covered with them (a 1941 Cadillac) has had 500 miles put on it in a single year in over 20 years. I could understand them wanting the yearly mileage on something from the 1960's or newer since there could be a chance it is being driven as an everyday car, but for something that old I think its ridiculous. I tell my dad to switch to Hagerty (who doesn't ask for mileage), but he won't out of habit.

Interesting , if I had a 1941 Cadillac and it had been gone through mechanically I wouldn't hesitate to drive it from NY to San Francisco. It would keep up with traffic, you leave a little bit of extra space in following, but it would be very comfortable - like sitting on a sofa. In many respects a lot of these old 40's and 50's cars are easier on a trip than the 60's cars are. They are a lot more fun on the open road than they are on short, local trips.

Just my two cents ...

Oh, we have driven it long distances in the past. We've driven it from Northern Ohio to Rhode Island, Phily, Cincinnati, Detroit several times, Hershey a couple times, and Albany, NY. All separate trips. That was all in the 1980's & 90's. But dad's getting older, and while you say the car will keep up with modern traffic, I beg to differ. Even with the lower 3.36 rear axle ratio at 65 mph I think the engine is running a little high on rpms. Yes, it will run 60 - 65 all day long, but the car really needs an overdrive like Packard had. It used to keep up fine when the speed limit was 60 and everybody ran 65. But now with the speed limits 65 to 70, people run 70 - 80 and pass you like you're standing still. Including semi trucks. That's not fun.