Car on trailer concers?

Rogillio

I'm buying another 1926 Coupe to compliment my 1926 DB Coupe. This one is a Ford Model T.

i have a 280 mile trip to go get it. Should I be concerned about the sun visor (or whatever you call that thing) catching air and ripping off at 70 mph? Is the front windshield able to withstand that force?

i thought about loading it facing backwards but have the same concern about the rear window blowing out....or in, as it were.

I don't want to have to drive 40 mph all the way home.....

It wasn't built to sustain 70 MPH when it was NEW, now was it? Now its 90 years old and you have no reason other than possible aerodynamics behind your towing vehicle to expect it can take it. And if still original windshield glass, it was NOT safety glass.

So now I'm thing of putting on the trailer facing aft and tying a board over the window.

Home Depot should have all the plastic wrap needed, comes in 1000' rolls if I recall.

I towed a 30 Coupe from Fresno to Phoenix on a flat bed trailer but made sure I loaded it facing backwards. No plastic wrap or problems at 60mph-70mph most of the way over 6 hours. My only concern was were the chains and straps attached to the axles/side rails strong and tight enough incase of a collision.

If you want to tow it backward on your open trailer that is almost OK, be sure to get the weight forward and on the tongue of the trailer. NEVER wrap a vehicle on an open trailer, unles it is boat shrink wrap, nothing holds up to the wind whip. You shouldn't be towing a 70MPH anyway, are you aware that trailer tires are rated for 65MPH? and that is if they are new. I will admit it took me a while to accept a lower speed limit towing, but it is much better and safer for all if we ratchet down our tow speeds. IMO, Rob

If you want to tow it backward on your open trailer that is almost OK, be sure to get the weight forward and on the tongue of the trailer. NEVER wrap a vehicle on an open trailer, unles it is boat shrink wrap, nothing holds up to the wind whip. You shouldn't be towing a 70MPH anyway, are you aware that trailer tires are rated for 65MPH? and that is if they are new. I will admit it took me a while to accept a lower speed limit towing, but it is much better and safer for all if we ratchet down our tow speeds. IMO, Rob

The guy who bought my 1926 Chevrolet coupe and wrapped it with plastic (in the posted photos)and towed it away (down to California) said he had done it a number of times and it never came apart.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4776022238.html

That is the car I got all excited about. Here is the story:

They were asking $7,200 but he said he'd sell it to me for $6,700. So at 0345 this morning (after sleeping all of 2.5 hrs) I drove north 280 mile to Louisville, KY with trailer in tow. I had text'd him on the way up asking him not to start it before I got there as I wanted to see how it did with a cold start. He said no problem. When I got there the first thing I did was lift the hood and feel the block. It was toasty warm. He said they had to start it to move it out of the shop. Uh-huh, right. I asked how long it had taken to start cold and he said "about 5 minutes". So this was the first negative. I tried to start it and it would not start. Second big negative. It was warm now. My DB starts immediately after it is warm. He said to let him try and he had a difficult time....it's a 6V system so turns over slowly. He eventually got it started. It did not run very smoothly IMO. I looked at the tires and all 4 were dry rotted and the spare was off the rim, presumably shot at well. Another big negative. There was a strip of aluminum tacked on to the back of the roof and painted black in some make-shift repair. The gas filter was filthy and that concerned me. Why add a modern gas filter if you aren't even gonna bother to look at it and see it needs changing. The gas tank smelled like turpentine so I suspect it hasn't been used much lately....which I sure was part of the reason it was difficult to start. The radiator cap was partially stripped and you had to pull up on it while turning.....when I got it off, it was pretty low on radiator fluid. There was a stiff metal wire sticking out the front with a loop on it. I asked what that was for and he said it was to choke the carb when the hand crank was used. I re-opened the hood and traced the wire back but it was not connected to the carb, it was just handing. I sat in the seat and it was terribly uncomfortable and cramped....then again, so was my DB until I made different seats to allow my fatass to fit behind the wheel with it the wheel hitting my gut. The starter button is under your heel and very difficult to engage. It has 3 pedals (brake, reverse and clutch/high and low but no gas pedal. The throttle and timing advance are on the column. I'm sure it would take some getting used to. The parking bake was to the left of the driver and encroached on the minimal leg room. The trunk looked ok but it was missing the trunk handle. </SPAN>

Needless to say, I said thanks for showing it but it was not was I was expecting. Disappointed, I dragged my empty trailer 280 miles back home. I pretty bummed. From the pictures it really looked like a good find but you can't see dry rot in pictures and little things like the shabby fix on the roof stripped radiator threads and dirty fuel filters.</SPAN>

Oh well, I didn't need another vehicle anyway....what the hell was I thinking!? I have got to quit surfing craigslist at night...'barn finds' are urban legends. :-)</SPAN>

~Mike

Model T?

You've not missed out on much there.

Better stick with D.B. they are a much better car, IMHO.

Ray.

i hears Ray. My mechanic told me the same thing. He said the '26 Model T was a lesser car than my '26 DB....said my car rivals a Model A.

The T had no water pump, no fuel pump, no speedometer and didn't come standard with front and rear bumpers.

Dave, you are right, Fords are a dime a dozen. They made millions of them. The serial number on this was 13.xxx,xxx. My DB is 7xx,xxx.

Had a 36 dodge I sold sometime back, wrapped it up tight as a drum for new owner to pick up,set a young kid to pick it up with a flat bed, he got about 15 miles from my house,on the hway, and the tarp started to flap, rather than tie it back down he removed the tarp, the torrent top was only held in with 4 bolts as it needed completion, needless to say he got back on the highway doing 65 miles an hour the wind caught the top and folded it in half.

if you are going to haul something, make sure you have some idea of tying down a load......

Your serial number should be A7xx,xxx which would put it at the 1,7xx,xxx car DB produced. Still way less than Ford. If you've never driven a T they are not fun or intuitive with the planetary transmission. I bought one after I sold my Model A and got rid of it quickly because of that. Got the DB instead and glad I did.

Edited by JayG
spelling (see edit history)

Your serial number shout A7xx,xxx which would put it at the 1,7xx,xxx car DB produced. Still way less than Ford. If you've never driven a T they are not fun or intuitive with the planetary transmission. I bought one after I sold my Model A and got rid of it quickly because of that. Got the DB instead and glad I did.

Thanks. I learn something every day here.