Old Car Video - fake or real?

capngrog

Today at 12:19 PM

I think there's something a little fishy about the below - linked video. There's no way that car could've made it through some of the areas the video shows! Also, after it (there was probably more than one car used in the making of this video) turned completely upside down, the driver wasn't shown replacing the oil, all of which most certainly would have been lost while the car was on its side and upside down.

I'm no expert on old cars, so I'd like some opinions of whether or not this video depicts the real capabilities of this particular old car, or cars of that era in general.

The link:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nq2jY1trxqg?rel=0

Just wonderin',

Grog

I've driven on old logging roads in mud season with a Model "A" Ford and yes, they can. The reason is the tires are narrow and bite down through the mud (or snow for that matter). That's why drivers of old hi performance cars that were smart took off those 60 series tires in the winter and went with smaller, narrower snow tires - you do not want to "float" on snow or mud.

As for the rollover it was gentle. As to the oil question I suppose that it might lose some out of the filler and perhaps they did a film splice or just a retake after adding oil but I am not really sure how much oil would be lost in that amount of time.....

I'll be interested to hear what other people who remember old fashioned mud seasons and logging roads think......

Vermontboy is correct. Those skinny, tall tires provided great traction in mud and snow, and the clearance the cars had made them able to cross almost anything. They had to be made like that to be able to navigate the roads then. There are many instances of people taking their old cars to places before any road was made, including Pikes Peak.

Larry

Guest AlCapone

Two years ago our city roads were closed and I used my 28 Model A Ford Tudor to go 4 miles to the other end of the city. Never stuck once but plows and police were off the road. Wayne

Guest Bob Call

Note that the sign on the car says "Oilfield Dodge". I have been in the all bidness for 50+ years. Back in the 20's Dodge was a favorite in the oil patch. Conditions like those in the vidio were common prior to paved roads. I would say this was probably shot in central Oklahoma or East Texas for use as a sales tool by Dodge dealers in the oil patches.

I operated a fairly good sized logging company in Michigan in the 70s. When I would go out to check on my crews I would find a model A in places that four wheel drive trucks were not able to get into. In the mornings one of my guys would who owned the model A would wait for the rest of the crew at the edge of the woods. The crew would climb in and he would take them in. The model A could use the same path as the skidder, ruts and all and if it were to get stuck the guys could jump out and reposition it. Those tall skinny tires and the steady pull of the model A engine were perfect for the woods.

It is legit. Obviously, made by a stunt crew for a publicity film. They probably wouldn't have been quite so rambunctious if it was their own car. But, those were the road conditions and driving conditions that prevailed in rural areas in the spring.

The gas, oil and battery acid could leak out during a roll over but they would not lose much if they turned the car back on its wheels quick, which they did. Notice they rolled the windows down so they wouldn't get broken.

Find some pictures of street scenes and road scenes taken in the twenties and earlier, you will see cars like the Dodge that have met life in the raw and come through battered but still running and giving good service.

You probably won't find such beat up, worn out specimens today because they were all junked 75 years ago. The ones that survive today are the ones that saw little use, and what use they saw was on paved roads, for the most part. In other words they were babied and that is why they survive.

I appreciate all of the responses, and due to the overwhelming credible testimony, I must admit that I now believe the Old Car Video to be REAL! I hate it when I'm wrong, but I'm used to it by now.

Pardon me for doubting, but as I said above, I'm not familiar with the capabilities of pre-WWII automobiles/trucks. I realize that there was no photo shopping back when this video was produced; however, there were (and still are) very clever film editors that could make you believe almost anything. There was this old movie about a giant monkey climbing a tall building carrying a damsel in distress, and Captain Midnight and Buck Rogers were the emergency responders, and ... well, ya shoulda seen it, it was somethin'!

"I'm a Believer",

Grog

P.S. Uh oh, now I'm in trouble with the Monkees!

About all they could do is shoot movies for a week and edit out the parts where they got stuck and pulled the car out of the mud with a team of mules, or busted it up so bad it wouldn't run. Then use the most dramatic scenes and leave out the boring stuff. What you saw was all in a day's work back then. Dodge was known to make tough cars.

Guest cben09

Engine upside down,,,,The oil would run into the pistons

but not so much run out the small filler

On the T,,it was sorta in the middle

Sorry,,never had a A,,an i forgot where i filled the Dodge 4

Cheers Ben

I know I'd read some where before that skinny tires were supposed to be great for mud & snow and I don't think they had limited slip back then (I suppose it could have a welded diff though). I must admit I'm still a little skeptical about the oil. The hinged oil filler cap (flap) on my '25 Dodge looks like it would leak quite a bit of oil out if turned upside down for several seconds. So maybe they did add some oil unless that was the last shoot for the day.

Which side was the filler on? If it was on the left the oil would not run out when the car rolled over. When the boys flipped it back on its wheels it was only upside down for a few seconds. Maybe some oil ran out but enough was left to run on.

Maybe they stuck a rag in the filler pipe and tied the cap down with baling wire.

WW2 Jeeps were built with the gas filler, oil filler and battery positioned so you could roll the car up on its side for service or repair then flop it back on its wheels when you were done, and not spill any oil gas or battery acid. 4 GI's could roll one over.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

The way the oil filler is situated there would be only the slightest loss of oil.

Bear in mind that film is running extremely fast.

In most of those situations that car would have been in first gear and with around an 18:1 ratio it would be barely moving without blowing the engine.

Lots of times I don't even bother with first gear because by the time I get it into 2nd it's practically standing still anyway...... :rolleyes:

In 1952 we lived back a long lane along a canal, Dad had a Model A flatbed truck and a Model A car. Dad never got stuck in the deep snow and used the truck to haul all the lumber for our new house he built. I remember my brother and I fighting over who would sit by the door of the truck and I opened the door and shoved him out and in the canal! Dad wasn't impressed..........

My 1930 Chryslers have a "Granny gear" for snow, mud and sand...You take off normally in second gear.

When he stopped the car in front of the oil rig you could see he had tire chains on the back wheels. You can go anywhere with chains ice, snow or mud as they dig in for traction and do not plug up. As long as the back wheels can turn you will be moving forward.