Current Issues and Suggestions for a Better BCA

MrEarl

John, Keitjh is being sarcastic as he doesn't like anything to do with the Books or the NMC (National Meet Committee, or, come to think of it, me.

Lets see how he likes it when we don't have a meet. This almost happened in 2010 but I convinced Rick Young to work with me and he and I put on the meet at  Ames. We had financial backing of the BOD, so if we lost money we wouldn't have to go begging, but we made money and paid 50 % of the profits to the clubs and divisions that volunteered at the show.

After Concorde we were faced with the similar situation. Nobody was wanting to put meets on anymore because of age /size of club etc.

The NMC was formed to help with this problem. We have 8 people who have put on numerous meets and a company to help with hotels so you don't have to re invent the wheel.  

It was never the intent to take the place of chapters running the meet. This point has been lost in this discussion and among the membership. It is to help them and make sure that the show goes well and the chapter makes money.

Now we have chapters who want to run a meet again, or people in the chapter who are willing to step up and run the meet.  The 2017 meet is being run by the group of Wisconsin / Minnesota Chapters, 2018 I hope will be run in California. we hope we will go Southeast again with Dixie and other chapters and Willis, it would be good to go to Texas again. 

So this isn't a shift in the way the NMC does business, its only re affirming its original purpose.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I still consider myself a relatively new member of BCA. I don't feel like I really understand how things work in BCA. After some other questions that I asked on the Discussion Forum, I received a lot of phone calls, emails, and Private Messages from many different members. Someone shared documents with me including the Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, and SOP with me. In reading those, I did not get any information on the National Meet Committee. Perhaps people who have been in BCA longer fully understand what the National Meet Committee does and how/why it was formed but just from reading here it seems that there are lots of different views and opinions on this issue.  It seems to me that BCA needs a better way of communicating with its members. Communication issues seem to have dogged BCA on issues such as the National Meet Committee and the proposed Scholarship and appear to have created a lot of animosity among members.

I just went to the BCA website and did some reading. I still can't seem to find the Bylaws of the club on the website. I did notice in reading some recent minutes that the scholarship seems to have now been killed. I can't seem to keep up with that one. I can't even remember all of the different versions that I read in the Bugle, on the forum, in the Bugle advertisement, on the forum again, and now in the board minutes.

I hope that the board can find a way to chart a course for the club, make good decisions, and diseminate information clearly to the membership. 

• Like 1

Guest my3buicks

The bylaws have all but disappeared, they used to be included in the roster but that hasn't even happened recently. There was some discussion on this I while back

Bill, your currwnt description of how the national meet committee works has seemed to change from how it was originally set up or at least how it was conveyed to the membership. When it was set up never was it proposed that the chapters would have a key role in future national meets. Had it been presented then as it has somehow changed to be presented now it would have met with much more enthusiasm.

Who I like and who I don't like has nothing to do with this Bill, I asked the questions and make the comments so that we can somehow get factual information from the board. When controversy surfaces that's about the only way we ever get answers or any kind of accountability.

I feel for the membership that aren't online that have a even less of a clue of what's going on within the BCA

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for that additional information, Bill!

Perhaps it would be advisable for the BCA BOD to make a formal statement of how chapters can seek information on the "specs" of doing a BCA National Meet and, should the chapter desire, the manner in which the chapter(s) might submit their bid?  Additionally, how "the money" would work in making reservations and then paying vendors for contracted services, as the time for the contract to be consummated approaches.  This way, the prospective chapter-host could see that, too.

I believe the By-Laws not being printed was more of a cost-containment issue than one of what some might have "conspiracy-theoried".  I'll admit that I have not followed how those "rules of self-governance" as they have changed over the past years/decades or have been seemingly modified with "operating procedures" as time has progressed.  I might have looked at some of the first changes, in the later 1980s, but have not looked at them in the later years.  Some, as I recall, I didn't understand the history behind them or the necessity of them, but I figured there was a reason and left it at that.  Perhaps it is time for a revision and simplification (another one?), possibly with some "history" this time, which newer BCA members might understand and embrace?  Possibly with EACH of the document's versions, from the first ones to the most recent, being placed on the BCA's front webpage!

Professionally, I would feel that the BCA BOD would have the capabilities and empowerments to make certain changes "on the fly, when necessary", under certain circumstances AND a majority BOD-member vote to do so.  As "immediately" as things can happen in our modern world (and possibly more expeditiously in the future!), it would still be good if the BOD scheduled these proposed changes with enough lead time to allow the general BCA membership to make comments and offer input on these future proposals of the BOD . . . such that all members CAN feel they had a chance to make their voices/orientations heard (rather than just by electing a person to the BOD every so often).

Willis Bell  20811

I would love to see the Bylaws, and any other documents regarding the operaton of the club on the website. I seem to recall reading in the board minutes where there was a complaint about the Judging Manual that is online not being the current manual.

Any Bylaws, procedural documents, rules, judging manuals, etc. really should be on the website and should be updated as soon as practical any time they are changed. In this day and age that is the fastest, cheapest, and most efficient way to disseminate information to any club.

• Like 1

Guest my3buicks

Lmao honest officer I didn't murder that man, you have to take my word for it since I was there and you weren't

Possibly this shows a need for better minutes, record keeping for both scheduled BOD meetings but also impromptu phone meetings. As mentioned above certainly better communication is needed from the BOD to the general membership.

I would love to see the Bylaws, and any other documents regarding the operaton of the club on the website. I seem to recall reading in the board minutes where there was a complaint about the Judging Manual that is online not being the current manual.

Any Bylaws, procedural documents, rules, judging manuals, etc. really should be on the website and should be updated as soon as practical any time they are changed. In this day and age that is the fastest, cheapest, and most efficient way to disseminate information to any club.

"I would love to see....should be,,,,,should be"

Have you even requested a copy?  Maybe we can put you in charge of resolving all of your should be's and love to see's.  (If you want it then do it.)

Have you even requested a copy?  Maybe we can put you in charge of resolving all of your should be's and love to see's.  (If you want it then do it.)

I already spend enough time volunteering for AACA, I have no interest in trying to be in charge of getting documents posted on the BCA Website.

If you read my prior posts you would know that I did request a copy of the bylaws and have read the bylaws. From reading the board minutes online, it would appear that what I have in hand may not be the current version. Most clubs make an effort to make sure that their members have ready access to these types of documents. Clearly when the website was recently upgraded, someone in a position of authority in the club should have made an effort to get these types of documents on the site. When a board member's complaint about an out of date item on the website is noted in the minutes, but there is no indication that any action was taken to correct the issue, it makes me feel less confident in the club's management. 

Guest my3buicks

This is why the BCA is where it is at today - attitudes like this. Good old boys stick together.

By-laws are not something a member should have to search for or look for, they should be readily available and in todays computer world not having them at a touch of a button is inexcusable especially when there is a website. 

Maybe that is something the national office should be doing instead of handling the national registrations and leave the experts handle the registration - at least something would be done right then.

Guest my3buicks

John, Keitjh is being sarcastic as he doesn't like anything to do with the Books or the NMC (National Meet Committee, or, come to think of it, me.

Lets see how he likes it when we don't have a meet. This almost happened in 2010 but I convinced Rick Young to work with me and he and I put on the meet at  Ames. We had financial backing of the BOD, so if we lost money we wouldn't have to go begging, but we made money and paid 50 % of the profits to the clubs and divisions that volunteered at the show.

After Concorde we were faced with the similar situation. Nobody was wanting to put meets on anymore because of age /size of club etc.

The NMC was formed to help with this problem. We have 8 people who have put on numerous meets and a company to help with hotels so you don't have to re invent the wheel.  

It was never the intent to take the place of chapters running the meet. This point has been lost in this discussion and among the membership. It is to help them and make sure that the show goes well and the chapter makes money.

Now we have chapters who want to run a meet again, or people in the chapter who are willing to step up and run the meet.  The 2017 meet is being run by the group of Wisconsin / Minnesota Chapters, 2018 I hope will be run in California. we hope we will go Southeast again with Dixie and other chapters and Willis, it would be good to go to Texas again. 

So this isn't a shift in the way the NMC does business, its only re affirming its original purpose.

After reading the presidents message in the Bugle it is clear that this statement from Bill is totally false "It was never the intent to take the place of chapters running the meet" - it clearly states it was in charge of everything but would be open to suggestions from chapters and would "try" to hold meets near BCA Chapters so they could use them as slave labor.  (of course the slave labor was my terminology)

The Presidents message very clearly confirms how the general BCA membership believes the NMC would operate and does not in any way confirm how they now claim it is to work.

Guest my3buicks

I think Bill cleared it up: he was there when it happened. Any other revision of history should be discounted.

I guess written history has cleared it up and Bill's rendition/RIVISION of history should be discounted.

I agree with the idea of posting the BCA By-Laws and Standard Operating Procedures on the BCA forum.  The Buick Driving Enthusiasts division of the BCA has had their by-laws and standard operating procedures posted on their website for several years.  Easy for the BCA board to keep them current (along with a history of revisions) and an easy way for most of the membership to access. That generally settles a lot of questions before they become issues.  It even lets potential new members learn about the operation of the club.

"New directions" need to be "better directions", in the orientation of "continuous improvement" . . . something which the individual chapters doing meets generally didn't happen (for many reasons, including not really wanting to accept "help" from past meet hosts who'd run successful meets), BUT should be a guiding principle/orientation of the National Meet Coordinator/National Meet Committee.  "Best Practices" should something that improves with time and experience, not something that needs to remain completely "stationary", with the end result of increased participant/customer satisfaction with the particular (and future) meets AND the group that orchestrated the meet.

As Roy mentioned above, he offered his successful software for registration operations to chapters who were hosting meets after the first one we did in 1996, but back then, each chapter had what they considered to be their own "computer guru" who was going to write that program, which (historically) had some significant "issues" when they implemented it. 

The BCA not having to rely upon local chapters to host meets can be a benefit for all as the meet locations can become varied from year to year.  Or perhaps, if a meet venue is very popular, it could be repeated for a few years before another venue is chosen?

I like the concept of a National Meet Coordinator/National Meet Committee.  It should be a positive situation, but seems to still need some tweaking to work as great as it needs to.  I feel that it needs to be run (as with other aspects of this group) in a professional and business-like manner AND with a particular BCA BOD member(s) as a general supervisor.

NOT to mean that that NMC/NMC are isolated in what they do, but they can also seek input from the membership on what they're doing.  Necessarily, all activities need to be planned "3 years out" for the best choices and results, BUT periodically monitored to see if any changes might have happened or are scheduled to change.

Willis Bell  20811

• 1 month later...

A PreWar Division member called earlier this week to informed me of a follow-up call he received from a BCA board member regarding the last national meet he attended. He got this call because he checked a "call-back" box on the critique form he received at the last meet. He made constructive comments regarding the long argued parking issues that continue to alienate members, the lack of personal communication between BCA officers and members during the meet, along with other examples of failed leadership of the board & NMC with regard how the national meets are run in comparison with other car clubs like the AACA.

This is an important first step in making improvements from within the BCA.  Everyone should recognize how important it is for the BOD and NMC to hear, and hopefully act on, feedback from it's members rather than just continue with business as usual.  I have seen and heard lots of discussion regarding loss of members and the need to recruit new members to keep the BCA going.  Therefore, I suggest that a membership committee should be formed to include two BOD members and the BCA Regional Directors to do exit interviews with members who do not renew their BCA membership.  The results of these interviews should then be reviewed, consolidated and reported to the BOD with recommended changes in policy, procedures, etc.  The membership committee can start by calling me, as I have decided not to renew my BCA membership when it comes due November 15th. 

Just a couple more things; while I am still a member: 

•  Earlier on this thread, it was reported that the bylaws had already been updated and approved by the BOD. I checked again today and could not find them.  I find it hard to believe that the BCA can publish The Bugle on line, but cannot seem to get the club bylaws posted on their own website after hiring a paid webmaster.
  • Several previous posts indicate a need for improved communications between the BOD and the BCA membership. I still see very few BOD members who write anything for The Bugle or post on this site.  Hopefully, the few that do read this forum will comment on this post.

Mark,

I have one comment regarding comparing the AACA and BCA. I have not been to an AACA meet where HPOF or Driver cars are parking with those that are being judged under a point system. I

also found that the BOD seem just as easily available as AACA Directors at Meets. These are our only points of difference, as the rest of your comments are worthy of more action.

Will miss you in Allentown and beyond, unless we can convince you to renew.

John

John,

My comments regarding the comparison of the BCA and AACA were not my own; they were the PWD member's experiences. I will be glad to get you in contact with the other member so you can follow up if you wish.

Imperial62,

My local Chapter members are mostly interested in car shows.  When I served as the chapter director, I tried to get my club to participate in more driving related activities without success.  Since the premise of the PWD is "to promote the preservation and increase participation of prewar Buick owners in car tours and activities by planning additional BCA events specifically for older slower cars",  and because there are so few local members with prewar cars who actually drive them, local club activities for my prewar cars have been minimal.

You are correct that I could change my mind.  IMO, the BCA leadership needs to take action to re-orient the BCA national meets into something more than a car show with bus tours of attractions recommended by the local Visitor's Bureau.  Article I of the BCA bylaws states:

“The purposes for which the BCA is founded are:  For the development, publication and exchange of technical, historical and other information for and among members and other persons who are interested in Buick automobiles, and to promote social intercourse and fellowship among its members;” 

(Since the BCA bylaws have been changed since I saw this in the 2011 directory, members cannot be sure it is still the primary purpose of the BCA since the new bylaws are still not available for review or input from the membership.)

I have been trying to get the BOD to take action on national meet parking and other important issues since my disappointing experience at the South Bend meet.  A year ago, I respectfully submitted to the BOD the following suggested changes to the bylaws: 

Section 6       Include: BCA office personnel are not permitted to promote or campaign for BOD candidates.

National Meets:

All references to BCA host chapters should be deleted and re-written describing the responsibilities of the National Meet Committee (NMC). The NMC shall be responsible for selecting National Meet venues that provide enough parking to accommodate All Together Parking By Era for the first three days of the meet, and parking by judging class for the fourth day of the meet. The Chief Judge shall be responsible for parking cars to be judged by judging class only for the fourth day of the meet (Re-parking may begin on Friday afternoon for judging on Saturday morning).

As far as I know, these suggestions were either never considered, or they were dismissed without notification.  Frankly, I am tired of trying to help the BCA live up to article I of it's own bylaws.  However, if the bylaws or operating procedures are changed to reflect something similar to the suggestions above, I would gladly renew my BCA membership.

Edited by mark shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Imperial, Mark indeed has raised some very valid concerns and points that should be addressed by the management of this organization.  Something that you and a lot of members might not be aware of is this - there is only ONE pre-war Buick automobile owned by ONE sitting member on the Buick Club of America Board of Directors.  That member is Ed Depouli.  He is one individual with one vote on anything that this organization's management wants to do.  In other words he is absolutely powerless to get anything done that will benefit the pre-war owners in any way, shape, or form.  I have met Ed and he is a really nice guy, but his voice for the early Buick enthusiasts will not be heard.  I am the pre-war division member who spoke with Mark Shaw after I received  a phone call from the BOD member wanting to speak with me about the survey that I had filled out.  We had a civil conversation with myself doing a lot of the talking.  I laid out EXACTLY what I feel is wrong in this social organization to him and told him what needed to be done in my opinion to get this club back on track and be fun for ALL members.  I also told him that I was on the fence as to whether I and Barbara would stay in this club after the last day in November.  What the guy DID NOT SAY to me spoke volumes about the attitude of the management of this organization.  He DID NOT ask me to stay in the club, or to reconsider letting our membership drop.  This told me all that I needed to hear and know about the management of this organization.  They DO NOT give a hoot about us enthusiasts who are passionate about the OLD Buicks.  I will ask that ANY BOD member who reads this to get on this forum and prove us pre-war enthusiasts wrong.  I will go out on that proverbial limb and say that it will never happen.  PROVE ME WRONG on this!

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Terry, I speak for myself and nobody else, but my question to you is "why should we treat a pre war car any different then we treat a post war car ? All Buicks should be treated the same but yet there are some who feel they are mistreated.

How are you mistreated? Is it  because it is asked of the decidedly pre war based editor to print articles on more modern cars trying balance the coverage of Buick's ? If you look at his track record a majority of his articles are pre war based. He needs to be less biased in order to serve the needs of all club members. And before you argue that point, go to the Bugle repository on the site and just count the year of the cars on the covers.

Is it because you can't park with the rest of your years at the National Meet ?  When I saw you in Springfield it looked like you were having a good time giving rides and talking to people. Isn't this really what the club is about ?

If you want to change how the club perceives your era of cars, run for the BOD or find someone or two who will and then vote for them. Did you know for example that less the 10 % of the membership votes in the election ?  Get a coalition of like minded friends together and elect someone you like to represent you interest.

I know i won't change your mind, but I at least hope you won't go away. Stay in the club, folks like you and Mark are needed to keep the rest of us reminded of where our cars came from. If you quit, we lose those voices.

• Like 2

Guest my3buicks

As everyone knows I'm certainly no cheerleader anymore for the BCA, but it's ludicrous for the prewar division or any owner of a prewar car to think that the BCA has anything against the prewar Buicks Let's face it, in the end it's all about numbers and membership and they're certainly not going to do anything to ostracize a group of owners. This conspiracy theory doesn't hold air. Only one member on the board that owns a prewar car, who's fault is that? Running for the board is voluntary, if you have a prewar car and you want on the board, then run. What an absolutely stupid thing to be fretting about

• Like 1

Everything evolves. and the BCA is no different than any other group!!!!  It has evolved into a group that <by and large: doesn't know that cars are meant to  be driven ,and enjoyed for what they are !!! 

I remember (vaguely ) how the members of our local chapter ( Buicktown) would have 12-15 Buicks travel to the national meet and it was FUN !!!! 

Now if anyone goes from our chapter , they either fly in , or haul their car in a trailer. 

The old guy's post makes me wonder why the BCA does not allow driven class cars to be judged in other classes at their national meets.

"Competition Class:

A vehicle entered in the competition for the Buick National Driven Award may not be entered in any other award competition class at the National meet."

Guest my3buicks

You can have your driven car be judged in a class, you just drive it and put it in the class and forget the silly driven class. I've never needed a howdy duty button for driving to a show, driving it is part of the experience. I've also always been able to be highly competitive even though I've driven my cars. The driving class to me has always been like segregation. Always seem to managed fine prior to its implementation. I always thought that's what dash plaques were, a token for bringing your car, and let's face it that's what the driving class is

• Like 1

Guest my3buicks

So theoretically Mark you want to join all classes. Take my Reatta I just sold for example, being a pristine original that would place probably top in its class for judging and if I drove it. At the awards banquet I would get a driven award, a gold senior award, and archival award. I think there's a commercial that says that's not how this works, "that's not how any of this works".

Best thing that BCA could ever do would be get rid of the Driven class. It was former President Pat Brooks baby and was railroaded through under his jurisdiction. It was a hot button then and has been hot button ever since. If people need an award for driving there Buick to a show, they need to rethink the whole classic car owner idea.

I would just add this.  In  my opinion, I think most people get into the Drivin Award Class so they will get a snall recognition for their car, because they feel they would not earn a Bronze, Silver or Gold in judged classes.  I have not been to a National Meet where Driven Awards were presented at the Banquet.  That could be a long night.  I believe they are still given out on the field. It seems to me to keep the Driven Award within a separate area, as the judges for the catagory are usually but a few looking at some basic things, so it is far easier on those judges if they do not need to check the entire show field.  I guess I am blessed that I have one car with Gold Senior, one with Silver and another with Driven Award,.  So I have no dog in the fight.

John 

• Like 1

Guest my3buicks

If I had a car that I didn't think would do well in judging I would still enter it in the judged class and then put do not judge on it. oh wait, that's how we did it for years and years.  And guess what, I would be just fine not getting a "token" because I choose to drive my Buick to a national meet.  These same people that are griping about this are the same ones that would say kids are awarded for to many things now a days, that they don't really have to earn anything, they just have to show up and they get a trophy for playing.  Let the joy of driving your Buick/old car and having people give you thumbs up on the highway be your reward. 

So theoretically Mark you want to join all classes. Take my Reatta I just sold for example, being a pristine original that would place probably top in its class for judging and if I drove it. At the awards banquet I would get a driven award, a gold senior award, and archival award. I think there's a commercial that says that's not how this works, "that's not how any of this works".

Best thing that BCA could ever do would be get rid of the Driven class. It was former President Pat Brooks baby and was railroaded through under his jurisdiction. It was a hot button then and has been hot button ever since. If people need an award for driving there Buick to a show, they need to rethink the whole classic car owner idea.

so force the judges to judge my 77 electra that was a daily driver until 2012 when you delete the driven class?  the award isn't even needed for the driven claas its little more than small emblem.

Edited by ted sweet (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

No, if you know your car is not award worthy, it is very easy to write DO NOT JUDGE.  This is how the nationals worked for years with NO issues, no bitching or whining - oh please oh please give me something because I drove my car.  This whole mindset honestly sickens me in the old car hobby.  Drive them because you enjoy them or leave them home, sell them and join a knitting club.

Ben, I like your post!  You definitely have the right mindset about the way this club SHOULD function, however, in my humble opinion it is headed in the wrong direction at a high rate of speed.  Bill, I will have to say that you raised a point that I will comment on.  But, before I do I will have to tell you that you do not qualify as a BOD member responding on the forum here because you are no longer sitting on the BOD.  I will stand on what I posted earlier - no BOD member will comment on here. You asked how I am being mistreated.  That isn't the word I would use to describe how the pre-war enthusiasts are being dealt with.  The word that comes to mind is DISRESPECTED.  How many times and how many people have to tell these people in charge that they are unhappy with the way that they are being dealt with?  My wife and I are restoring an old house and I simply do not have the time to devote to running a campaign to get elected to the BOD of the BCA.  Plus, I will not pay to run an ad to try and get elected.  I hope you understand now how I feel about that issue.  Now, we have Keith Bleakney on here saying that the fact that only one member on the board owning a pre-war car is a stupid thing to be fretting about.  Keith, you missed the point that was being made.  There is no one representing the pre-war enthusiasts here.  I think we all know how you feel about a driven class award.  Keith, you tell us that Pat Brooks was responsible for getting this pushed through the board and approved.  Since you have named the names as they say, I will name the names of those that I personally feel are responsible for this segregated parking on the show field debacle.  In South Bend it was your bosom buddy Mike Book and the one and only mr. oldfield.  You can take this whole mess and lay it right at their feet.  This writer thinks that it is extremely unfair for you to have your opinion and disregard anyone else for having their opinion of an issue that they feel is important to them.  Before anyone even thinks about saying this - I realize that I am treading on some very shaky ground here by saying what I am saying.  But, the political correctness crap keeps us all from saying exactly what we would really like to say to and about certain persons.  I just wish that someone, and I really do not care who, on The Buick Club of America

Board of Directors would come on here and publicly say WHY the parking of the cars on a national meet show field cannot be arranged in chronological order beginning with the oldest vehicle registered and run through the newest vehicle registered so that the viewing public can witness the evolution of the Buick Automobile from 1903 to the present.  In this writers opinion, if this was done, all of the whining, crying, peeing, and moaning would stop and the pre-war enthusiasts would start to feel a little bit like they were being accepted in this organization!  So, with all that being said, which one of the BOD is going to step up here and give us an HONEST answer?  This is my beef with this organization.  Bill, this is it EXACTLY why I feel the way I do about this group and what they are not doing to remedy the situation.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

All-Together Parking on The Show Field Advocate 

Guest my3buicks

No Terry, you missed the point I was making, if there is only one prewar owner on the board, then do something about it, either run or back some other prewar owners to run. So honestly Terry, whose fault do you think it is that there is only one prewar car owner on the board? Is it a conspiracy across the entire membership of the BCA trying to keep prewar owners off the board?

There are certainly other options for those who drive their Buicks and feel like their cars are not 'good enough' for an award in the 400 point judging. If it is over 25 years old, you can consider the Archival class. The Archival judging doesn't really care about the condition, just that it is a mostly non-modified Buick. I have always driven to the shows and rarely had a Buick I felt 'good enough' to win an award in the 400 point judging. In fact, I have never won an award at a National Meet. I put it in Display only. And I am very proud to see my Buick parked on the show field next to all of the other show winners. I respect the time and effort it takes to maintain and drive a show-winning Buick, but that's not always in my budget. Display only gives me the chance to participate with what I bring. I'm ok with that.

• Like 2

I fully agree and practice what Roy stated: "I am very proud to see my Buick parked on the show field next to all of the other show winners."

I too have only entered my cars for Display Only.  But nobody in the driven, display only, or archival classes can be parked on the show field next to all of the other show cars with the current BCA National Meet parking policy. 

My previous question was "why does the BCA not allow driven class cars to be judged in other classes?" In other words...; why make this a separate class? I really don't see why someone couldn't drive their Buick to a meet, enter a 400 point judged class & also get recognition for driving their car to the meet.  As I have mentioned before, driving show cars is encouraged at Pebble Beach, so why not at BCA meets?

Still, we have no answer....

Edited by mark shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest my3buicks

Mark, the answer is rather simple but not really a very good one.  That's how Pat wanted it set up and he pushed the agenda with a vengeance , he wanted an area to "showcase" the cars that were driven to the meet.  He had visions of a driven class gracing the lawn in front of the host hotel.  In his eyes it was a good thing, in reality we have learned it wasn't.  The quickest and easiest solution would be to abolish the Driven Class, put the cars all back together, and have a box to check off if you drove your Buick or trailered it.  Maybe the judges could have a "Goody" bag with driven medallions that could be passed out to all the good boys and girls that drove their Buicks as they judge down the line.  Wouldn't really take much extra time and everyone is once again happy.