convert ford 1934 4 cylinder to v8?

Can a v8 with proper transmission be basically bolted in in this car model. I hear that the 4 cylinder engine is actually physically larger than the v8 and I know a new v8 trans would be required, but can this then basically be bolted in without major modifications?

Guest Bob Call

The answer is yes, all parts to install a flathead V8 are readily available. But, why would you want to do that? A surviving 4 cylinder (Model B) 32 thru 34 Ford is pretty rare, 34 was the last year of 4 cylinder Fords, and V8's are a dime a dozen and you can buy virtually every part to build a new V8 car. The Model B 4 cylinder engine (34 sometimes incorrectly referred to as Model C, there was no Model C) is basically the Model A with full pressure oiling system and other minor improvements.

If you want a hot rodded 34 buy one already built it will be cheaper.

It sounds like Frank wants to go from an original 4 to an original 8....which, purist that I am, I'd be tempted to do also...you could keep the original 4 on a stand, and have a much nicer driving car...I wouldn't consider that hot rodding, just a period change that's easily reversible....

Considering the number of V8 vs 4 cylinder Fords it would probably be easier and cheaper to sell or trade the 4 for an 8. Not to mention, preserving an extremely rare car.

I hate HOTRODS!

I love history.

Is it true that the 4 cylinder engine is physically larger than the v8?

I have seen the 33,34 Ford engines. They are quoted as "C" engines as that is what is cast in the Heads and such. You are correct that a Model C was never official. But these engines are easy to identify because of the casting marks. Dandy Dave!

In late 32 the crankshafts were counterbalanced. That was supposed to be the reason for the "C" on the head. The water pump and fan is also shorter on the 33 and 34 engine to accomodate the leaning back of the grille/radiator. I had a C marked engine but the crank wasn't counterbalanced.

Yup, I remember that the water pump had 3 bolts holding it to the head instead of 4 like the Model A's. This is an easy way to identify a B head. The 33-34's had a C cast in the head. If I was standing by one I could rattle off other features I have not thought about for years. Some of them have already been mentioned, Like full pressure oiling. Dandy Dave!

Another nice thing about the B motors is that they have a fuel pump. They are also fragile. It is rare to find one that doesn't have cracks between the valves and the cylinder. The model B water pump bolts to the removable water neck where the A's bolt to the head. FrankWest107 I would be interested in the 4 cyl if you happened to decide to pull it out and go with the V8.

Another nice thing about the B motors is that they have a fuel pump. They are also fragile. It is rare to find one that doesn't have cracks between the valves and the cylinder. The model B water pump bolts to the removable water neck where the A's bolt to the head. FrankWest107 I would be interested in the 4 cyl if you happened to decide to pull it out and go with the V8.

where can I find a 1933 v8 and assume i need a trans too.

I am not sure the trans for the 4 cylinder will mesh with the v8?

Guest Bob Call

The 4 cylinder is a Model A refined it has a Model A trans. You need to find a good shop manual for the 33 - 34 V8 cars so you know what you are dealing with. You will also need a 33-34 radiator. Another question is the motor mounts. Did the 4 cylinder car have the same frame front crossmember as the V8? Is the clutch linkage the same.

I would suggest that you go to the Fordbarn forum on www.jalopyjurnal.com there will be guys there that will know all the answers. Also, look for a local chapter and join The Early Ford V8 club. Fordbarn would also be a good place to look for a 33-34 engine and trans.

If I were to do this the first thing I would do is check with my DMV to find out how easy it is to change to the title to the new motor number, if the motor number were used as the VIN. There are a lot of horror stories about cars being sold and the problems that arise when the VIN on the title (or registration) cannot be found on the car. I know a lot of you say just have a tag made, etc but after reading the latest version of the New York State rules and regs it is not a viable option - the penalties are too great. And New York has historically been one of the easiest states to modify registrations in .. it appears that it's a whole new ballgame out there.

Most antique cars have had the engines swapped out several times, because original engines usually die out beyond the point of repair. Are you sure these restrictions apply to antique cars? It would be very hard to find an antique auto where all the parts several numbers match.

Every state is different, at this time many states never physically check the VIN, some states only physically check the VIN on cars purchased in other states, some states are starting to go back and check them at renewal. You can search this forum, fordbarn, chevytalk, and numerous other forums for examples, there are many. One that comes to mind is : http://forums.aaca.org/f169/1931-model-370847.html - there is an excellent and lengthy commentary by Matt Harwood on how title problems affect his business.

My intent was to advise the OP that it would be better to address this issue up front than after the fact.

My warning on obtaining newly manufactured VIN plates or any of the other formerly quasi legal ways around title issues that involve alterations is because in many states it is now a crime. New York can confiscate your car and sell it (after legal proceedings, of course). Try selling a high dollar early Corvette without the rosette rivets and see what happens.

Below is the Michigan law regarding id tags, rosette rivets,etc. If you don't believe that they are at least occasionally enforced read a few other forums.

"750.415

(5) A person shall not knowingly possess, buy, deliver, or offer to buy, sell, exchange, or give away any manufacturer's vehicle identification number plate, federal safety certification label, antitheft label, posident die stamps, secretary of state vehicle identification label, rosette rivet, or any facsimile thereof. This subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle manufacturer, a motor vehicle parts supplier under contract with a motor vehicle manufacturer, or a law enforcement officer in the official performance of his or her duties or to a motor vehicle in which a manufacturer's vehicle identification plate and each of the applicable labels listed in this subsection have been installed as prescribed by law. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years, a fine of not more than $10,000.00, or both. If the person who violates this subsection is a licensed dealer or repair facility, its license shall be revoked."

This is going to become more and more of an issue in the future ... it is far easier for the current owner to take care of these issues than the future purchaser.

Just my opinion ....

The 4 cylinder is a Model A refined it has a Model A trans. You need to find a good shop manual for the 33 - 34 V8 cars so you know what you are dealing with. You will also need a 33-34 radiator. Another question is the motor mounts. Did the 4 cylinder car have the same frame front crossmember as the V8? Is the clutch linkage the same.

I would suggest that you go to the Fordbarn forum on www.jalopyjurnal.com there will be guys there that will know all the answers. Also, look for a local chapter and join The Early Ford V8 club. Fordbarn would also be a good place to look for a 33-34 engine and trans.

The B has a different Transmission than the A does. It has a different flywheel cover and bell housing. The Flywheel housing is 2 piece with the bottom part welded to the oil pan. I do believe that it is different than the V8 transmissions also.

Are these cracks repairable?

The older flathead Ford V8 engines are also susceptible to cracking. I remember Rod & Custom doing a rebuild article and I believe that over 50 percent of the blocks they looked at had minor cracks in the valve area.

Drag a head light, and a few photos of Great Grandpa's fathers uncles 1895 Whatsit Horseless Mobile and if you have enough money and plenty of time it can be recreated from another that still exists half way around the world, or from some old blue prints if they still exist. Not practical of feasible, but possible. Dandy Dave!

You aren't kidding. Get a load of this Napier Samson race car. It is a one off, built in 1904 for grand prix racing. After a few years it was sent to Australia where in due course, the car was scrapped and the engine was installed in a speedboat.

It was rebuilt in the 90s by Bob Chamberlain, an Australian tractor and auto parts manufacturer. All he had to start with was what was left of the original engine, and copies of the original blueprints. Every other part of the car, and a large part of the engine, had to be made from scratch.

http://www.mister-cars.com/Article/1904-Napier-L48-Samson-/1738

Absolutly. You are Correct. :cool: Did I mention that is very cool. It was built with 100 to 150 year + old Tech. Why not today? We were able to build Locomotives in the 1840's to 1860's. We can recreate anything. Ahh yesss. Forward we go. Dandy Dave

I have a pint jar full of rust one of my employees collected from a Duesenberg we worked on years ago. Anyone interested?

Ahh yesss. Bring several Million to start and we will turn that bottle of rust into a reproduced Duesy! Not feasable, but possible. Dandy Dave!

Don't forget you will also have to change radiators-the four cylinder cars have one outlet and one inlet, the V8 engine cars have two outlets and two inlets.

In terms of the VIN, 1934s should be titled by the VIN number on the frame which is on the top near the steering box. A four cylinder car will have a vin number beginning with B-xxxxxxx and a V-8 car will have a vin number starting with 18-xxxxxxxx. So, you can still use the same VIN number (assuming it is titled with the right frame number) but anyone with any Ford knowledge will know it started it's life as a 4.

Would I make the change? Yes, but since it is not original anyway, I would go with the later 85 or 100 HP flathead V-8 instead of the 1934 V-8.. These are easier to find, easier to fix and you can buy lots of reproduction aftermarket speed parts for them. They also make more horsepower and are less prone to the problems of the earlier V-8 engines. I would keep the original four cylinder just in case you want to return the car to original or the next owner does.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Don't forget you will also have to change radiators-the four cylinder model's have two outlets, the V8 engine cars have four (two on top, two on bottom)

In terms of the VIN, 1934s should be titled by the VIN number on the frame which is on the top near the steering box. A four cylinder car will have a vin number beginning with B-xxxxxxx and a V-8 car will have a number starting with 18-xxxxxxxx. So, you can still use the same VIN number (assuming it is titled with the right number) but anyone with any Ford knowledge will know it started it's life as a 4.

Say Dude, I have one of those 8 cylinder Rad's in the shed, You need it? It is available. I was also standing next to a 32 that took best of show this past weekend. Best of show, Columbia Car Club.Chatham NY. Wrenching on a 27Gaderner.... Use to be part of the Bill Harrah collection. I just keep slipping in ancient old car grease and rust... you should see the cream puff that landed in my yard this past weekend. thththhthtthhththt...:P Dandy Dave!

I vote V8

Nailhead Buick V8

If you're going to hot rod go whole hog

Why Stop there? Might as well Drop in a 455 with a 400 turo and get er done and over with. :eek: Dandy Dave!