One of our forum friends could use our help.

Dwight Romberger

Hi All,

Bill Hoffert (vacbill)is a Senior member and frequent poster on the AACA Oldsmobile Forum where I have had the privilege to meet him. Bill has a 1932 Oldsmobile Patrician he began restoring in July. He has made incredible progress as you can see in the attached photos. All that is left is final assembly. Therein lies the problem.

Bill was diagnosed with lung cancer a couple of months ago. He will not be able to finish his project. His wish is that the car could be reassembled.

I put the Northern California Oldsmobile Club in contact with Bill, and they are willing to take up the challenge, but they are more familiar with cars of the 50's and 60's and could use our help.

They have five members who are going to start reassembling Bill's car on Monday February 17. I am hoping you will consider bringing some wrenches and helping out.

Bill lives in Fairfield, California about 45 minutes from San Francisco and Sacramento.

His brother has arranged a special rate at the nearby Hilton for anyone who has traveled a distance and wants to stay overnight.

I have always said that car enthusiasts are the greatest people I have ever met, and are most generous with their time to help another car guy in need.

If you would like to participate, please post here that you are coming to encourage others!

PM me, or email me at drr@psu.edu or email Larry Ewing, the president of the Nor Cal Olsmobile Club at rkt88ll@earthlink.net for Bill's address.

Thanks,

Dwight

post-63449-143142391493_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142391476_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142391477_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142391482_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142391485_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142391488_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142391491_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

UPDATE: The Northern California Oldsmobile Club showed up at Bill's today. Here is Larry Ewing's email and some pics. The first one is a "before."

Hi Guys,

We made significant progress today. Great work, thanks. I know Bill

and his wife are so happy something is being done with the car and

maybe they can get their living room back after we install the front

fender, hood and trunk.

I can go back tomorrow Tuesday at the same time. Any takers? I can't

do Wed or Fri but maybe a Thursday.

I know Harv has to work.

Larry

post-63449-143142395299_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142395292_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142395296_thumb.jpg

Guest vacabill

Update, the great gentlemen from the northern california oldsmobile club, came over and started helping me put the car together, i guess not so much me, it was all them. It is driving me crazy that I cant get in there and get my hands dirty, they came over twice, got the engine together, all the parts put on, after the engine gets running will put front fenders on and a special thanks to Dwight Romberger, for getting it started, My wife and I cant thank you guys enough, what a wonderful bunch of people all of you on here are, this is keeping me motivated to beat my condition, so i can in the future, give back for all the good that has been bestowed on my family

attachment.php?attachmentid=236110&d=1393264543&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=236111&d=1392697068&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=236112&d=1392697064&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=236113&d=1392697066&thumb=1

Edited by vacabill (see edit history)

Could someone tell us what town in Northern California this is located in? There are other AACA interested persons concerned about this gentleman!!

Thanks,

Wayne

First post said Fairfield which is a town on I-80 just on the east side of the SF Bay Area. Looks like the California Region with its president in Pleasant Hill might be the closest AACA region.

Hadn't noticed this thread until just now and Fairfield is only about 90 miles from me. I'll have to keep a watch for the next scheduled wrench turning day. . .

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

LATEST UPDATE FROM OUR FRIEND BILL:

They got it started after sitting for so long, this is a short video of it, the only thing left, up to this point is rebuild fuel pump, for the engine and need new tie rod ends. Then the electrical, roof and upholstery and its ready to take to the street, but thats still down the road http://youtu.be/OQKVvL6ANV8

AND FROM LARRY EWING:

Hi All,

We had a good day Thursday getting on all the sheetmetal, bumpers,

wheels and tires and fired it up!

A visit from Avery Greene, a longtime Vallejo Oldsmobile Dealer and

former member of Nor Cal Club, presented Bill and his wife a framed

antique recording of Merry Oldsmobile.

Back to the fire up. Found a minor water leak and appears the fuel

pump is not working. The engine sounded good. Bill took pictures and I

hope some video.

Larry

Below,

From left,

Bill Hoffert, Bob Wise, Avery Greene, Jon Manji, Dave Kennedy, Sandra

Hoffert and Larry Ewing. Last picture is Jon Manji again with John

Kennedy.

post-63449-143142423016_thumb.jpg

Awesome Bill. Awesome!

post-63449-143142423009_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142423013_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest vacabill

Just an update, I am still hanging in there, good days and bad days. More of a strain on my family than me. Anyway, the car is in limbo, the great guys from the Northern California Olds club were a fantastic help,can't say enough about them. Right now trying to find parts for the clutch, the tranny guy put the transmission and clutch in, but I think he forgot something or put it in wrong. Hopefully within the next couple weeks I can get it back to him, but dont have any real confidence in him. I wish I was able to take it out and look at it myself, but that ain't gonna happen. The little problems with the car, keeps my mind off the bigger stuff, it helps keep me going.

Bill

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

For those of you that have been following this thread, Bill has taken a turn for the worse.

He has asked me to list the car for sale in the Buy/Sell forum for him.

I put it in with LOTS of pictures taken last week and two Youtube videos that show the car started for the first time in 40 years:

http://forums.aaca.org/f119/bill-hof...an-379227.html

I hope it goes without saying, but please only call if you are serious about purchasing the Olds.

Thanks,

Dwight

post-63449-143142714176_thumb.jpg