50 years from now

dan at larescorp

That are all going to be lawn ornaments because there isnt going to be any gas to run them.

Exactly my thoughts.

When the electric light was developed, Kerosene was king in your house, now you would be hard pressed to find it almost anywhere.

Gasoline will be a thing of the past!

Remember the light bulb that I just spoke of? try and find one in the store in 6 months.

Guest turbofish38
That are all going to be lawn ornaments because there isnt going to be any gas to run them.

I think its been proven that there is enough petroleum supplies in the world to last another couple hundred of years.

With that said what's wrong with collecting electric cars? Assumming all of the Teslas haven't burned to the ground from battery fires. LOL

And to the doomsdayers who cite the current trends of the EPA and "the man" as far as taking out the current supply of future collectables maybe it's time to band together a little tighter like our freinds who value our 2nd admendment rights.

Totally agree with turbofish38. When the economy is at its worst is when the most of history gets disposed of or gets legislated into oblivion. Now is the premier time to convince anyone to salvage what they can but most importantly to join a group (AACA) and band together to ensure that this hobby continues for our kids and grandkids and hundreds of years beyond. I've seen too many salvage yards go by the wayside that had lots of good things in them that are gone now that I never expected to close. I've seen a trend in a lot of yards that you couldn't buy a complete car from them for anything, once it is on the yard it gets cut up or crushed. I hope that more and more people get into the antique and collector car hobby, or business for some, so that it will continue My hopes are that we can save something of every make and model but also in the process that our younger generations will fully enjoy them all as much as we do!

Columbo... Peter Falk. Looks like he passed in 2011. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Falk

I think you guys are wrong about the Computers in older cars. I think there will be "wiz kids" that will make replacement units small and better in the future. The replacement units will be one tenth the size, or less, than the originals and you will be able to hide them in your original case. Where there is a will to preserve, and a buck to be made, someone will do it. Dandy Dave!

I used to think that collecting cars 50 years from now would be a complete nightmare because of the deteriorating plastics with no viable parts sources. Not that Ill be around to worry about it... lol. But with the current explosion in 3D printers, I imagine in 50 years you will be able to pop your old part in a 3D scanner and just print up a new one. The cars from the 90's that will be hot collectibles in 50 years are the same cars that were lusted after when they were new in the 90's. All Ferrari's, Aston Martins, Bentley and Rolls Royce drop tops, all Lamborghinis, the BMW Z8 and M series cars, all Porsche 930's, Mercedes AMG's and Hammers and anything called "super car" like Saleen, McLaren, etc that was limited production, fast and pretty.

I agree with you here, technology will always catch up because it's such a massive market, selling car parts. I remember 15-years ago everyone talking about how you won't be able to restore "modern" cars because of all the plastic, well now we have 3D printers and that will only get more common and cheaper. Electric cars won't be the end, but maybe legislating people-driven cars when the roads are full of autonomous vehicles. The first available to the public are being readied now for sale in just a couple of years, the brand new S-class is already fully autonomous, they took one for a 60-mile drive with no human input for all except one stubborn pedestrian that the car didn't know how to handle. (He waved it ahead at a crosswalk but the car wouldn't budge.)

I do think that the Virage pictured will be the last Aston to appreciate tho, they may be among the worst the company produced and are a bit... bubbly in line. The Z8 never dropped in value did it, kinda like the Ford GT. Good call on your list!

Jazzer... I agree on the Crossfire SRT and West might also. :)

Dandy Dave... Yes, sadly Peter Falk passed a few years ago. I didn't know him but we dined side by side at the diner counter downstairs in the Beverly Hills Hotel. One thing I liked about eating there is you could have anything you wanted really, didn't matter if it came from the Polo Lounge upstairs or even off the menu altogether, they would make it happen. Anyway, I always respected the cafe employee's time and would only occasionally order off the menu when I really had a craving for something specific, but I noticed Mr. Falk and his very lovely wife seemed to have their own menu as everything was a special order. Oh to be rich and famous!!!

I think you guys are wrong about the Computers in older cars. I think there will be "wiz kids" that will make replacement units small and better in the future. The replacement units will be one tenth the size, or less, than the originals and you will be able to hide them in your original case. Where there is a will to preserve, and a buck to be made, someone will do it. Dandy Dave!

I hope you are right Dave, for my grand children's sake. Its the kids that know how to set a watch these days.

But, I keep thinking back to the guy that couldn't make his car run when the trunk light was disconnected. These days when a guy wants to put a late model SBC is his hot rod he needs to have his computer flashed so that it is not looking for the seat belts to be in use or that the doors are locked before the car will drive. I am thinking that all of these systems being all tied together is going to be the nightmare.

I hope you are right Dave, for my grand children's sake. Its the kids that know how to set a watch these days.

But, I keep thinking back to the guy that couldn't make his car run when the trunk light was disconnected. These days when a guy wants to put a late model SBC is his hot rod he needs to have his computer flashed so that it is not looking for the seat belts to be in use or that the doors are locked before the car will drive. I am thinking that all of these systems being all tied together is going to be the nightmare.

I mainly hope that cars, as we know them, will not be banned from the roads altogether. The nightmares of car ownership, regardless what we drive, seem to be on a trend of getting worse with every year.

I thought of this thread today while out for a drive and saw a Tesla Roadster, the first one they made that was based on a Lotus Elise. I believe this company will stick around and grow into something very mainstream so this car will very likely be cherished by collectors in the future for it's spot in automotive history as the first widely available electric car, an appreciation for the model it's based on, and the factor of being the first Tesla.

post-83411-143142361605_thumb.jpg

MarrsCars, Just to be semantic, perhaps we could go with first commercially available electric car available since the eighties (citi-car) or the horde of electric cars that were offered to consumers from 1895 to the early thirties.

Nick8086, I'm not sure what car that is but based on prior posting... is that a Kaiser-Darrin? They weren't actually made in the nineties

MarrsCars, Just to be semantic, perhaps we could go with first commercially available electric car available since the eighties (citi-car) or the horde of electric cars that were offered to consumers from 1895 to the early thirties.

You are 100% my friend, and I do realize there were very early electric cars as well, I should have qualified my statement a bit better. Your clarification is much appreciated!

In 2014 we should be seeing the outstanding cars of 1994 as collectors items but where are they? The last car that might fill the bill is the DeLorean.

It's funny you mention the future and the word Delorean comes up....

Here's something interesting to ponder. In 2015, it'll be the 30th anniversary of when the movie "Back to the Future" came out.

The funny thing is that in the first movie the Delorean took Marty McFly back to 1955. In one of the sequels, Marty McFly ends up going 30 years ahead to 2015.

Next year will be 2015, and just think of what they predicted....

No hoverboards, but on a humorous note, the writers of that movie never predicted the internet, cell phone and texting.....

Plastic will be among the easiest - 3D printers will be common.

Just saw that two or three people already mentioned this. I will add that the growth of 3D printing is astonishing - there was a sizable part of CES 2014 earlier this month devoted to it.

Edited by j3studio (see edit history)

Next year will be 2015, and just think of what they predicted....

No hoverboards, but on a humorous note, the writers of that movie never predicted the internet, cell phone and texting.....

I love those movies, watched all three back to back at one point last year. You might enjoy seeing what actually has and hasn't come true from the films as described here: http://gawker.com/5667202/11-things-from-back-to-the-future-ii-that-actually-came-true-and-3-that-havent-yet

I think the rear-wheel-drive Impala SS is a sure bet. Good ones are still trading hands for around sticker price, which is always a good sign. Garden-variety Corvettes will probably not appreciate any more than the mid-70s models have, but specialty models like the awesome 1996 Grand Sport (be sure to get one with the much rarer red interior, not black), the ZR1 (which seems to have bottomed out and is slowly creeping up in value) and the later Z06 will probably find more than a few takers in the future.

I think Scooter Guy was right about the Mustangs, which have always been popular and Ford did build some truly special cars in the '90s, particularly the 32-valve Cobra with an independent rear suspension, which is a brilliant car, not just a great Mustang.

And I also agree that it's worthwhile to look outside the usual choices. I think the Audi TT roadster will be collectable with its groundbreaking look that was all about form over function, and there are a handful of truly remarkable German supercars that will surely be in demand (I'm partial to Audis and desperately want an RS6 Avant, a 450 horsepower, all-wheel-drive STATION WAGON!).

But garden-variety stuff? Nah. Even nostalgia has its limits. Even if it was your first car in high school and you courted your future wife in it, you're not going to lust after a 1996 Ford Taurus when you're grown up with disposable income looking for a hobby car.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the New Beetle yet. The half that weren't sold to girls were bought for nostalgia and had a good chance of being well maintained.

I've already seen a few 90s BMWs being babied. I think 1990s BMWs fill a similar segment to 1960s Buicks.

Vipers were instant collector items as people thought it'd be one and done production and future Shelby Cobras.

My favorites of the 90s are C4 Corvettes, Vipers, and 98+ Trans Ams.

I see the F-150 has already been mentioned, but what about those Dodge Rams that came out with the 488ci V-10's before the next gen Hemi's? I'm fuzzy on the year, but there was also a retro-styled GM pickup that seems to have come and left very quickly. As for the Taurus, I never thought I'd see the day someone actually wanted to save Pinto's, Gremlins or Crickets, but there is always someone looking for them. The key is going to be saving a base car to work on. It's already easier to find 60's cars around here than 70's or early 80's. The 90's T-bird also has my vote... some had the Mustang 5L with a lot more class.

Edited by whtbaron (see edit history)

Something to think of.

When the 1957 Plymouth was in her underground tome the kids put gas cans in the trunk just in case the was no gasoline in the future.

Will old cars have to be modified to run on what will be available ?

Many American built cars in Cuban were modified with Russian motors to keep the on the road. Like in this country many are proud of their 50+year old iron.

I hate to say it but I predict none... My kids do not relate cars with freedom as we did. The price of gas and insurance is so high it is like a insurmountable wall for them. I have cars from lots of years 20's, 30's, 60's, 70's, 80's. My guess is they will want my cars (we drive them often) but outside of that they just do not have the cruising memories of our youth, hanging out with my buddies on the main drag in town watching for cars and girls. They do it on the internet, my son would love a GT3 Porsche but they start at 100K so I do not see one in his future. I will keep trying, we will be working on a 1964 two door Ford Falcon hardtop for his first car, 200cid "3 on the tree" 30 mpg and he should be able to leave the keys in it, none of his buddies would be able to figure out how to shift it!

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I've had probs even explaining the three on the tree to adults. I had a 62 Comet with a 170 3 spd when I was 16 and I have to say it never got 30mpg, and it was the most gutless POS I ever drove. Find him a 289 if you can, as long as it doesn't have a big 4 brl on it, it will get 28 mpg all day long and he won't want to toss a match in it when you're not looking.

Yea, I've had probs even explaining the three on the tree to adults. I had a 62 Comet with a 170 3 spd when I was 16 and I have to say it never got 30mpg, and it was the most gutless POS I ever drove. Find him a 289 if you can, as long as it doesn't have a big 4 brl on it, it will get 28 mpg all day long and he won't want to toss a match in it when you're not looking.

V8's weren't available until the 63 1/2 models. It's essentially the same car but IMO looks nicer than the 62. A 63 1/2 S22 hard top Comet with V8 would be a sweet ride.