Winter Storm Electra ( or why I have an 11 hp snowblower for a 4 car driveway)

JohnD1956

I thought it was curious that the weather guru's have started to name winter storms. And even more curious when they named last nights Electra! It's no surpriuse I love Electra's, but this one could have passed me by and I would have been okay with it. Meanwhile, here's some photos of why we use an 11 horsepower snowblower for such a small driveway...

img_6289_original.jpg

x

img_6291_original.jpg

x

This would be reason enough for me:

img_6294_original.jpg

x

But this is the coupe de grace!

img_6296_original.jpg

post-31834-143142316977_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143142316979_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

See if you would have a Subaru with 4 winters on it you could have saved you time and not cleared the driveway and just driven out LOL

I thought it was curious that the weather guru's have started to name winter storms. And even more curious when they named last nights Electra! It's no surpriuse I love Electra's, but this one could have passed me by and I would have been okay with it. Meanwhile, here's some photos of why we use an 11 horsepower snowblower for such a small driveway...

img_6289_original.jpg

x

img_6291_original.jpg

But this is the coupe de grace!

img_6296_original.jpg

BOY DID YOU EVER GET HIT!

We had 8 inches here (south of Detroit) in total. Being the first major snow fall of the season, way too many white knuckle drivers out there!

A friend of ours managed to drive his all wheel drive Lexus into a ditch head on thinking he was turning onto a road which actually was 100 yards further up. No one was hurt but he needs a new front tire and that fancy front bumper replaced.

I even had to tell my 86 year old mother to just stay home as there was nothing she needed that was that important.

Wishing everyone safe travels out there.

post-36036-143142317932_thumb.jpg

The beginning of the storm here.

Why with a Buick SnowMaster, this white fluff is no trouble at all. We got about 5 inches here. Dandy Dave!

For adventures with a Buick SnowMaster...

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/let-snow-let-snow-let-snow-295090.html

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

We were lucky it was so cold which makes for a powdery snow. This area seems to get the real heavy wet stuff more often. But 13" of powdery snow is still increadably heavy. And the double deep stuff at the road end is always a killer.

Guest my3buicks

We got the wet stuff this time, I got about 6 inches of snow so wet when you lifted the shovel water dripped. Yuck, Of course with the text drop now it's all frozen solid. Sure made the roads a woot though.

Talked earlier with friends and family in PA, NY, NJ, and VT.....

they mostly all believe that maybe they should have moved to New Orleans like I first did in 1969.

We were sunny and 60s today, and expect clear and 70s through the week....SORRY GUYS !!

Talked earlier with friends and family in PA, NY, NJ, and VT.....

they mostly all believe that maybe they should have moved to New Orleans like I first did in 1969.

We were sunny and 60s today, and expect clear and 70s through the week....SORRY GUYS !!

Not only that but there is not one person in all of PA that can make a decent gumbo and they think dirty rice fell on the floor................Bob

Guest wildcat465
I got about 8" on Saturday morning. It's down to about 3" with all of the melting. It rained most of the day on Friday, so it would've been much deeper if all of that was snow.

Sounds more like April (May this year) around here.

Melting in December?

Send some of that global warming this way! :rolleyes:

OK John: It doesn't seem that long ago when you shared the pictures of the wrecking yard in the green forest. BTW, it was 68 and magnificent here in Castro Valley. Mitch

LOL.. It wasn't that long ago. Late in the fall I was bitten by a tick which I think came from that yard. The following weekend I actually saw ticks underneath a car my son and I were getting some parts off of. This cold and deep snow would do a lot to batten down those buggers. So I don't mind it from that perspective. But I haven't gone back up there since it turned wintery around here.

Well ........while some of you are experiencing heavy snow, the opposite is going on down under..........

The boys in Western Australia have been copping days on end of 100F+ temps and it has finally hit here in South Eastern Australia with today being 108F in many areas.

I don't like the heat but I'm not sure I could handle shoveling my car out of the snow each day.............I think I'll stick with what we've got.

Merry Christmas everyone, whether it be cold & white or hot and dusty.

Well ........while some of you are experiencing heavy snow, the opposite is going on down under..........

The boys in Western Australia have been copping days on end of 100F+ temps and it has finally hit here in South Eastern Australia with today being 108F in many areas.

I don't like the heat but I'm not sure I could handle shoveling my car out of the snow each day.............I think I'll stick with what we've got.

Merry Christmas everyone, whether it be cold & white or hot and dusty.

Ol Dandy Dave would rather be Helping you Mates Mow and bale hay. Maybe a little trip to the Beach for some girl watching. Moving snow aint no picnic for most. It gets a little harder every year. Dandy Dave!