Please help with questions of selling a car to person in Florida from out of state.

Guest RyanRC

Hello all

I live in CT and just sold a old 78 Z28 Camaro to a person in FL.

In some of the discussions before he paid for it, he asked if I could leave the reg and insurance on it till he got it there as he said he can't register it as since its out of state, he needs the police to come by to (1) verify he has it and (2) it has the proper vin all visually all before he would be allowed to do this ...so point is, car needs to be there.

In not really thinking about it I just said sure as although there was some talk of driving it, I really thought he would just flat bed it and even can say I let it go for a bit cheap as there was talk of that cost.

But now that is has been sold he has elected to drive it from CT to FL (actually wants a friend of his in CT to bring it down) and wants me to keep my reg and insurance on it for this trip because of what he said above where he couldn't reg it till he has it.

So again while I sorta agreed to something like this the more I think about it, I'm really worried having my reg and insurance on a 35 year old but actually powerful car that has been sitting mostly for 18 years for this 1,000+ trip as who knows what could happen.

Also too should mention even the insurance itself is one of those barely drive it, $100.00 a year policies from J.C. Taylor that I had just to be able to keep it registered.

Anyway, did some research of the FL reg stuff and did see something of what he talks about in some places, but still am not really sure if this is true.

So guess to get to my point, for anyone who might know this....would it be impossible for him to get it registered without the car?

All in all I would think he could at least take out insurance on it correct (?), and maybe put his friend on the policy all without even registering it?

Thanks for any help

Edited by RyanRC (see edit history)

I think whether he can register the car or not is moot. The problem would be if there were a wreck, and your name is on the car and insurance. Who do you think the injured party will come after? You could be in more legal problems than you'd ever thought of. Just tell the buyer, you're sorry, but just can't do that, even if you have to cancel the sale. I wouldn't do it under any circumstances!!!!!

Absolutely don't do it....why would you want your insurance to cover a stranger?

When I've sold cars, there's always a copy of a bill of sale, signed by me and buyer, showing date and time of day he took possession...from that point liability is his and not mine.....

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Hey guys and thanks so much for the quick replies.

Actually don't know if this is along the lines of what you guys are talking about, but I did sign the Title over to him, and made out a bill of sale from the state of CT, and mailed the originals of both of those to him and have gotten the word from him that he has those although I don't know what he has put for his info on those docs.

Currently I still have it insured in my name and registered in my name.

So does this put him in 100% liability of the car if there was a wreak or am I?

Thanks again.

<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Ironclad rules for any car sale:

-Do not transfer the car or any paperwork until the cash is in your hand or bank account.

-Once you send the title and bill of sale you no longer own the car. Send a notification of sale to your state DMV to insure you are no longer legally connected to the car.

-Remove the license plates, registration sticker, and inspection sticker before turning the car over.

-Cancel the insurance on the car the same day you send the paperwork. The buyer needs to take full responsibility for the car at that time.

-The buyer needs to trust you to deliver the car to the shipper or hold it until he picks it up, but you should NOT have to trust him regarding anything.

Any seller will expect this from you if you are buying their car, you deserve the same safeguards when you are the seller.

Hey guys

Again...thanks so much for the advice and information.

But was just wondering if anyone knows if that thing I was asking about is true or not that in the state of FL...the buyer if getting the car from outside the state needs to have the car first before they can register it?

Thanks again.

To register and title a car in Florida, DMV Form 82040 must be filled out. If you read this form, it does mention that the VIN must be verified by physical inspection. However, it also states that if a car is out of state when registration/title applied for, any licensed dealer can inspect VIN and provide verification on their letterhead. This might cost a few dollars, but is the route to go.

The buyer can then take that letterhead inspection and register the car, at which point he HAS to have his own insurance.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82040.pdf

Guest bofusmosby

When I bought my car (I live in Florida) from a seller in Montana, I had a Police Officer come by the house to verify the vin# on the car matched the number on the car. I am just assuming now, that any Police Officer in any state would be able to verify this #.

You might want the new owner of the car to contact HIS insurance company about this. They should be able to advise him accordingly. I'm sure that this happens a lot over the years.

First of all, your insurance is null and void as you are no longer the owner.

Your plates should be turned in per the law to the CT. registry.

Since you agreed for him to use your ins. and plate for the trip, I feel that you bear some of the responsibility for the delivery to FL. I would apologize to the new owner, stating that I did not know that the insurance is canceled upon sale and I am unable to for fill my promise.

It will cost about $700 to get it delivered, I would offer him $350 and consider it fair as it would cost him at least $350 to drive it there. I would also offer to store it for a week without responsibility and assist the transporter in the loading.

Simple solution:

Have the buyer get a temporary tag for the trip, then do the inspection when he gets there. He can aslo insure it before he starts the trip. I know Florida allows temporary 30 day tags for $7.50, I bet CT does too. I've used them any times.

Offter to pay the $7.50 if you feel obligated to do his research for him. Use his insurance too.

That's the way it is in Illinois too. I sold a car to a guy from South Carolina who wanted to drive it to Michigan before heading home. The Illinois DMV issued temporary tags so he could get the car and drive away.

Simple solution:

Have the buyer get a temporary tag for the trip, then do the inspection when he gets there. He can aslo insure it before he starts the trip. I know Florida allows temporary 30 day tags for $7.50, I bet CT does too. I've used them any times.

Offter to pay the $7.50 if you feel obligated to do his research for him. Use his insurance too.

Simple solution:

Have the buyer get a temporary tag for the trip,

X3. Most states have a temporary registration or trip permit for exactly this purpose. Here in VA, you can simply go on line, buy a three day trip permit, and print it out at home. I've done this several times for interstate moves with no problems. Of course, twice I was stopped by police who didn't see tags on the car, but in both cases a quick discussion resolved the issue and I was back on my way with no problems. All completely legal. He DOES need to have his own insurance coverage, however. That's the buyer's problem, not yours.

Your insurance would not cover him driving it once he has bought it. After he buys it, you have no insurable interest in the vehicle, therefore your policy will not cover it. Just keep all the documents regarding the sale and you're fine. He's screwed if he wrecks it after the sale and has no insurance. It's all on the buyer once the money and title have changed hands.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I did sign the Title over to him, and made out a bill of sale from the state of CT, and mailed the originals of both of those to him and have gotten the word from him that he has those although I don't know what he has put for his info on those docs.

Currently I still have it insured in my name and registered in my name.

So does this put him in 100% liability of the car if there was a wreak or am I?

If the title is signed over, it's his car regardless of if he registers and insures it or not and also regardless of what physical location the vehicle is in at the moment. You need to get it 100% out of your name ASAP which means terminating insurance coverage and the registration.

Guest marlin65

I've had a mobile notary document VIN #'s on two cars I purchased out of Michigan here in Fla. He had correct DMV forms and it really saves time and energy. He charged me $10.00 and it took 5 minutes. Ed in Dade City,Fl

To register and title a car in Florida, DMV Form 82040 must be filled out. If you read this form, it does mention that the VIN must be verified by physical inspection. However, it also states that if a car is out of state when registration/title applied for, any licensed dealer can inspect VIN and provide verification on their letterhead. This might cost a few dollars, but is the route to go.

The buyer can then take that letterhead inspection and register the car, at which point he HAS to have his own insurance.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82040.pdf

Wow thanks guys for all the replies.

So just for the sake of clarification, when it is mentioned a Licensed Dealer, does this mean any car dealer such as a local Chevy Dealer in my state of CT?

For this is there any form that has to be filled out or proper way this has to be done?

Or is just a letter head of the dealer with say something like, as the manager of (XZY) I heard by varify that the Vin number of (XYZ) for the 1978 Z28 Camaro I inspected for (XYZ person) for the sale to (XYX person) and for the purpose of registering it in the state of Florida is the correct VIN number for this car.

Would something like that be fine?

Thanks

I was told a few years back by the DMV in Ohio, that until the title change is registered by the state, the car is still legally in your name and you are responsible for any accidents etc. Makes no difference if it was signed over or not. We are always advised to go with the new owner to register the title change and have everything notarized. I understand different states do different things. Thought I'd mention what happens here. thanks

The car does not leave the driveway until it is completely paid for and the ownership tranferred into his name or at least out of your name, period.

How he gets HIS car home is his business.

In fairness you should tell him this as soon as possible so he can make other arrangements or even drop the deal if he wants to.

It should be possible to transfer the ownership into his name in your state and get a temp permit. He can't be the first guy from out of state to buy a car.

Or, he can bring a trailer or car dolly.

In any case it is up to him what he wants to do with his car.

When you sell a vehicle ...

Do not leave the title open - close it by transfer to the person buying the car - no one else

Make out a Bill of Sale showing actual amount paid - vehicle sold " as is " with no warranty express or implied - date and time stamp

Cancel your insurance at that time

Every other issue is the sole responsibility of the Buyer

You are not the solution to their problem(s) unless you choose to be

Jim

I was told a few years back by the DMV in Ohio, that until the title change is registered by the state, the car is still legally in your name and you are responsible for any accidents etc. Makes no difference if it was signed over or not. We are always advised to go with the new owner to register the title change and have everything notarized. I understand different states do different things. Thought I'd mention what happens here. thanks

This is exactly correct and an excellent point. The fact that you have signed the title over to the buyer is irrelevant if the DMV is not notified of the change. Say, for the sake of argument, that the seller takes the signed title, does not transfer ownership at the DMV, and then hurts someone in an accident. The copy of the title signed over to the buyer is "lost". The legal registered owner is you. As soon as you sign the title over to the buyer, go to the DMV and formally notify them of the sale. Most state DMVs have a form for this.

First of all, your insurance is null and void as you are no longer the owner.

Your plates should be turned in per the law to the CT. registry.

Since you agreed for him to use your ins. and plate for the trip, I feel that you bear some of the responsibility for the delivery to FL. I would apologize to the new owner, stating that I did not know that the insurance is canceled upon sale and I am unable to for fill my promise.

It will cost about $700 to get it delivered, I would offer him $350 and consider it fair as it would cost him at least $350 to drive it there. I would also offer to store it for a week without responsibility and assist the transporter in the loading.

Sorry, I wouldn't volunteer to pay for any of the shipping unless agreed upon, in writing, before the sale.

That is not your responsibility. If he cancels the sale, oh well....

You need to think about protecting yourself and let the buyer worry about how he will get the car.

Unless you want to drive it to him in Fla....

Sorry, I wouldn't volunteer to pay for any of the shipping unless agreed upon, in writing, before the sale.

That is not your responsibility. If he cancels the sale, oh well....

You need to think about protecting yourself and let the buyer worry about how he will get the car.

Unless you want to drive it to him in Fla....

Agreed ...

Not your problem the Buyer lives in Florida

Jim