You never know what you'll come across.

Guest danajohnson

There was a sports version using the Panhard set up, the Deutsch bonnet, A.K.A. DB Panhard. Having an air cooled 2 cylinder 4 speed front drive and with covered-headlight (similar to the E Type Jaguar's) fastback coupe styling of its fiberglass body, it did very well at Sebring in about '59, winning its class.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

Panhard specials and sports cars did very well at LeMans too, winning the Index of Performance several times. The index was a method of handicapping the race by engine size. Basically something for the French cars to win while the Brits, Germans and Italians fought it out for first place.

Early fifties Panhard. They were quite an interesting car. Only an 850cc opposed twin engine but they would go over 80 MPH with 4 people aboard and get 50 MPG. Very aerodynamic for the time, and built light with a lot of aluminum in the body. They were not a cheap car when new.

I'd be very leery driving or riding in something that looks like a bumper car at any speed.

DJ, and you think you are safe on the highways in your 56 Ford?

Try to keep within the OP's question, Keith or a Moderator will haul it away with a Thread Wrecker.

DJ, and you think you are safe on the highways in your 56 Ford?

I think so. I grew up driving cars equipped like it. With all the years of driving experience I have, I feel I could be safer with it than many people who drive today's safest cars.

Yup. Greater risk, for sure. How much greater? I dunno. I used to fly soaring gliders, as much as 500 kilometers. Risk? Yup. I still ski a little, despite being 77, having a polio leg, an artificial hip, and vision in only one eye. Risk? Yup.

My son is doing business in Russia. He was nervous about Russian airlines, that seem to have 10 times as many deaths per passenger mile as ours. I pointed out that, on the trip around the world in 1959 on which I met his mother, I flew on top-of-the-line American, British, Japanese and Australian airlines that had way more than 10 times the deaths per passenger mile as our present airlines. The sky wasn't exactly raining big hunks of aluminum. People flew all the time in 1959. Most of them got where they were going. He felt better.

Life has risk. Eventually, we all lose the battle. We can curl up at home in the fetal position, and hope a meteor doesn't land on our house; we're going to die anyway. I prefer to drive an old car, and be careful. Most of us who drive them feel the same way.

By the way, I'm a retired life insurance actuary. I made my living understanding risk. I'm not blind (except in one eye!), I do care, and I don't make light of risk.

My3buicks, I see that you have a 1967 Special deluxe hardtop. Do you drive it, other than on and off the show field? How many air bags does it have? Does it meet the latest Insurance Institute side collision safety standards? Does it have four-wheel computer-assisted disk brakes? Federally-approved crumple zones? Good grief, man, aren't you TERRIFIED?

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Oh Good Grief, Keith. Don't get your panties in a wad. I'm just poking fun. Unfortunately, for you, sarcasm doesn't type out well on screen. Do you seriously believe that a 50 year motorcyclist (got the first one in 1963), that currently rides a 1100 pound, 385 horse bike, is not safety conscious? Dangers are everywhere. I fought in a war, crashed bikes and cars, fell off of ladders, worked on high steel construction jobs and have been married to the same woman for 44 years. I am aware of danger, but I will not allow it to control my life. I take all prudent and necessary precautions and, so far, I'm still here with most of my systems still functional. Yes, I'd hate to be in a wreck in a Panhard Dyna. I'd also hate to be in a wreck in my Dodge Dually or any of your cars

Guest danajohnson

I'd like to know "what" prudent and necessary precautions are needed to stay married for 44 yrs.

This thread went totally sideways on me.

I love it.

I'd like to know "what" prudent and necessary precautions are needed to stay married for 44 yrs.

This thread went totally sideways on me.

I love it.

Dana,

I feel compelled to apologize to you for posting an interesting query. Never heard of a Panhard. Found it interesting. Thank you to Dave Hendrson, Rusty O'Toole, and, Marty Roth for some factual input. Sincerely hope you harvested some intelligent input from them. Not all threads on the AACA Forum turn out this way so please keep posting when you find interesting subjects like the Pandhard.

As for the digression of the thread? Well, rude participants that totally hijacked your thread with comedy from the start, the first post referred to the vehicle off in the distance, lack of the hijackers knowledge that all they have to do to start a new thread concerning "safety driving old vehicles" by clicking on "New Thread", etc. I have been following it from the beginning and this is a sorry situation at best in my opinion.

Again, as a member of the AACA I personally apologize. With that on the "Home Page" click on "Library" and follow the prompts to see what literature the extensive AACA Library retains.

Sorry for my rant however I agree this turned into a bazaar thread.

Peter J.

I apologize, too if I was one of the contributors to this thread going off track. I figured that since I said, "Panhard" in my post, I at least verified that the car in question was a Panhard.

Can a shirt get stuffed any tighter???

If you go back to post #4, you might note that it was this rude comedian who first identified the car as a Panhard Dyna. Again, this might be why young people don't want to get involved with the old car hobby when each membership card comes with a long stick to insert......................well, you know.

Lighten up, it's just old cars, not international diplomacy, besides, I have seen no complaints from the OP. He got a number of very clear and concise answers regarding the Panhard

No doubt that this post/thread went way off track and that was a shame. I have no problems taking a little heat as I probably could have worded my interest in the vehicle off in the distance (as mentioned and pointed out) a bit differently by not referring to anothers earlier observation and stating that although I had no knowledge of the Panhard specifically although I was/would be interested in additional info on the vehicle off in the distance. The topic of this thread "You never know what you'll come across" piqued my interest as numerous other posts/threads on the many unique/obscure vehicles that get posted here and have followed many and learn a lot, this is not the first time that someone had stated an interest in another vehicle appearing in a posted photo. In my case my personal interest and affection for the vehicle in the distance got the better of me this time. Scott...

Guest danajohnson

Please, no apologies from anyone. This thread became very much more interesting than just figuring out what kind of auto we had seen. The humor was very much appreciated and please feel free to air your puns. It is fun to communicate with others in there own special way. That is why we are here.

Thanks

I actually did some reading about this model and found it very interesting. I was only casually familiar with the cars they made in the early part of the 1900's to about the 30's. I didn't know they even made autos after that. They made some very impressive machines.

I might even consider driving or riding in one despite it looking like a bumper car.