Interested in getting my first classic car -- please help!

Guest kodax

It's always been a small dream of mine to have a nice old car from the fifties -- something like a Bel Air or a Sunliner. I now have the chance to pick up an old Dodge Royal. I have never seriously considered buying a classic car before but this just kind of dropped into my lap at a good price. My problem is I have precisely zero idea what I'm getting myself into and I honestly know nothing about cars.

I've had a friend who's very familiar with old cars take a look and it checks out as far as he can see. I don't really know what to do going forward, though. The dealer I'm buying from has a good reputation for selling vintage cars, but should I get another opinion from a mechanic? Does anyone here have any experience with this model? I'm looking for any kind of advice on how easy their maintenance is. I obviously can't tinker with it myself, so how do I go about finding a good, qualified mechanic in my area? How much money should I expect to spend annually to keep this car in running condition? Money isn't tight for me but it's still a factor. Really I'm most afraid of getting in too deep as someone who doesn't know anything about automobiles. Would I just be getting myself in over my head by making this purchase?

Probably worth adding that I already have a "normal" car for daily driving and this would just be a weekend pleasure cruiser. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Edited by kodax (see edit history)

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Where are you located? If you can find a local AACA Chapter or Region, you will certainly be able to find someone who can help you with questions about this car, and can recommend a mechanic. Without seeing the car in person, it would be really difficult to predict anything about your expenses to maintain the car. You may also find some local AACA folks who are able to help you learn how to do maintenance on the car yourself. With a service manual, a few knowledgeable local friends, and online support from this site and others, you could be in very good shape to join in this great hobby.

It's always been a small dream of mine to have a nice old car from the fifties -- something like a Bel Air or a Sunliner. I now have the chance to pick up an old Dodge Royal. I have never seriously considered buying a classic car before but this just kind of dropped into my lap at a good price. My problem is I have precisely zero idea what I'm getting myself into and I honestly know nothing about cars.

I've had a friend who's very familiar with old cars take a look and it checks out as far as he can see. I don't really know what to do going forward, though. The dealer I'm buying from has a good reputation for selling vintage cars, but should I get another opinion from a mechanic? Does anyone here have any experience with this model? I'm looking for any kind of advice on how easy their maintenance is. I obviously can't tinker with it myself, so how do I go about finding a good, qualified mechanic in my area? How much money should I expect to spend annually to keep this car in running condition? Money isn't tight for me but it's still a factor. Really I'm most afraid of getting in too deep as someone who doesn't know anything about automobiles. Would I just be getting myself in over my head by making this purchase?

Probably worth adding that I already have a "normal" car for daily driving and this would just be a weekend pleasure cruiser. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Welcome to the forum. A 50s Dodge Royal sounds like a great "dare to be different" car, you probably will not see another one at any show you attend. I'm a little concerned when you say you know nothing about cars, if this means you have never driven the type of car you are thinking of buying you may need to step back. The first issue is that you need to be fully aware of how a car like that operates and understand its limitations regarding performance, safety, and required maintenance. If you are not you may not like the driving experience.

The second issue is if you cannot do any work on the car yourself you definitely will need a dependable mechanic with experience sufficient to handle maintenance and repairs. The more obscure the make the more difficult this may be, and that also affects parts availability. Lots of people who own old cars are not mechanics but they all need a support system.

If you have not already done so, you should heavily research the type of car you are thinking of buying including contact with current owners thru car clubs like you are doing here. If you have never driven a 50s car you need to do so before you buy. I'm sure you will get many comments on this site, Good Luck!

The Dodge Royal is a good car, one of the best. But it is a 50+ year old used car. It will require more upkeep than a modern car. No matter how good the dealer, or how good the car is.

It is wise to have it checked out by an expert. You should also get a factory repair manual, about $50. And find out the recommended service schedule as laid out in the owner's manual and go by that.

When a car has been out of commission for months or years it is normal that a few problems crop up. Once you get those resolved it is possible to go for long periods with only normal maintenance.

Cars are money pits........but less so depending on what it is you want from your car.

If you want a driver to go out have fun is one thing.......having a show car that you're scared to death that someone might actually touch it is another.

My cars are drivers.

I didn't buy them for anyone else and have no desire to impress anybody or throw more money at them than I have to in order to have safe, dependable, cars.

That said, just two weeks ago, I took a chance and in an effort to relive part of my youth I bought a 1959 Chev Bel Air as my first car was a '59 Chev Biscayne I bought at age 16 in 1967 and I never fell out of love with it.

I found a car I liked on the net, the price was right, $1900, and I got pretty lucky as I wound up with a car that has only 28,630 miles on it!

I could tell from the stench in the gas tank it hadn't run forever but after doing a visual, dropping some gas in the carburetor and hitting the starter it fired up instantly!

I am going to throw some money at this one but not going to go overboard.

Some are worth it and some aren't.......this one is....... :D

One thing you need to watch out for.... your buddies will tell you you should replace the engine, trans, brakes, suspension etc with newer parts.

These guys are NEVER right. They NEVER know what the hell they are talking about. It is almost always easier, faster and cheaper to fix the original engine, trans, suspension, brakes etc than to make major changes.

By the way is it 6 volt or 12 volt? If it is 6 volt don't let anyone talk you into changing it to 12 volt. Be happy with 6volts, it will work fine if everything is as it should be.

If you want a car with 12 volts, disc brakes, modern engine, trans, etc etc buy a newer car and save yourself a lot of money and grief.

Welcome! Well, I started collecting cars 13 years ago when I was 12 years old! I love my old cars, they can be quite costly from time to time but much cheaper than going out and buying a new car. My daily drivers have been everything from a 1966 Mustang, 1978 Lincoln Mark V, 1989 Buick Lesabre and a 1991 Buick Lesabre. The Dodge Royal sounds like a good car. I have a '41 Dodge Coupe. I will tell you that Dodge and Chrysler products are harder to find parts for. My '41 is trouble to find parts for from any autoparts store, even from salvage parts places. However, I am sure that your Dodge Royal will be easier. If you have the budget you need to go through and replace all of the parts that regularly go bad like generators, hoses, belts, etc. etc. Learn to do these things yourself (all you need is a basic toolkit) and you will save a lot! As for a mechanic for bigger things, I would ask around. The longer a place has been in business the more they may know how to work on this kind of car. Where I go, the guy has been in business for 50 years, he worked on this era when they were used cars and he has taught the younger guys how to work on them. I would NEVER buy from a classic car dealer, I love to buy them from older retired people. One more thing to check, the condition of the wiring in the old car, if it is very old or jury rigged this is a great negotiating point on an old car as it will cost you around $1000 to re-wire a car. Your friends or people you know will say to change everything from the original. Rebuild parts for your era car are available from Egge or from places like oldmoparts and even Napa (since yours is from the 50's). The original parts are fine, some of the dumb people who know 0 about old cars ask me if I had to 'replace the engine' in my cars. That I classify is the dumbest question from people at a car show! I have the original engines in all of my cars except the '48 Lincoln which has a period era Merc. V-8, which was put in there in the 1950's. I have never had to rebuild an engine in any of the cars, though I have had to rebuild a couple transmissions. If the car was cared for you should be good to go.

Edited by 1948Lincoln (see edit history)

An old Dodge is a good car and well built as Chrysler was a leader in automotive engineering. The down side of old Chryslers is the limited parts availability compared to Ford and Chevy. You have to look harder for parts than for the other two. That being said I still owned two old Chrysler products and enjoyed them a lot.

Terry

My advice to first-time buyers just getting into the hobby: Drive everything you can find in your price range and buy the one that makes you smile the widest.

Try out a Model A Ford and try out a 1980 Corvette and everything in between. Forget "investment value" and other nonsense like that, this is about FUN. Get the one that makes you happy when you see it, drive it, and work on it. Most cars built before 1970 or so are bone simple and easy to repair, and unless you've got an orphan brand, parts are easy to find and there's plenty of knowledge on the interwebs.

Don't limit yourself to something just because everyone else likes them. Two otherwise similar cars from the same era might drive quite differently. I love how my wife's 1966 Mustang drives, but I don't much care for the '67 Camaro we have in our inventory. Both good cars in similar condition, but the driving dynamics are quite different. You'll find that contrast between brands, so look at time periods that appeal to you and try everything on for size.

Have fun with the search!

kodax,

I hope you are reading these and come back with a response on your decision. I would suggest that, before you make a decision on this one car (even if you think this is the one), you take the advise to check around and look at quite a number of cars. If it is a Dodge you crave, I would look at a local Dodge club to get some opinions, or the AACA Region if you have no particular brand preference. Someone can get you guidance in a particular brand. As I think someone suggest above, if you indicate where you live, and what brand is of most interest, I am sure you can get some suggestion as to local contacts. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

John

If there is an Automotive Museum anywhere near you I would suggest asking them where they go to have repairs and body work done that they cannot do themselves. I did that a couple of years ago and found a shop where they work on old and new cars and do a great job for any mechanical work I cannot do myself. And his prices are less than most of the other shops in the area.

Dogde is OK, but Buick is the Beautiful Buy. ;) The one in my fleet that make me smile the most is my 1915. Parts are non exsistant. I have thrown a lot of money at it and around it even though I do my own repairs. It is a white knucle ride every trip as it has rear brakes only. It demands a lot of attention. You have to oil it and grease it often. But the times I have had touring with that car, and showing it is Priceless... :cool: That is what it is really all about. Dandy Dave!

All the above is very good advice. Here is my take on the subject of a first 'classic' car.

Since you mention that you don't know much about cars, then I see this acquisition of a '50's car as a great way to learn about the older and much simpler cars of that era.

Find a local AACA chapter, find a local mechanic, get involved.

When something needs to be done on your 'new' car, don't just farm it out to have it done.. get involved, do the work with supervision, and an explanation of why you are doing whatever you are doing.

Learning about the car under the paint and chrome will greatly increase your appreciation of the car, the hobby, and the differences between the various makes and models.

Drive 'em all, get to know 'em. You will love 'em all that much more.

Best of luck in your pursuit of your first 50's car.

Greg L.