CARAVAN TO 2014 PORTLAND NAT'L

Guest COMPACTBC

Guest COMPACTBC

:)The Golden West Region (CA) is sponsoring a caravan to the 2014 Portland,OR Nat'l meet. Tentative plans are to spend the first night in MODESTO, CA and the next night near Garberville, CA. and then on to Grants Pass, OR. All BCA, ROA and others that are interested in joining our Caravan are encouraged to contact Bruce Andren at bruce@compactbuickclub.org or leave a message at 714-544-1592.

Edited by COMPACTBC
TO DELETE PART OF THE CONTENT (see edit history)

Guest COMPACTBC

Brian, if you thinking about comming out to the 2014 nat'l, I am sure you could ride along with someone. We are planning driving thru Redwood Nat'l Park on the way and we will be staying in a hotel in Grants Pass that is right on the Rouge River. Should be a really nice trip.

Well I WILL be in attendance at the meet of course, my 27th in the past 31 years. At the moment I am trying to convince my father to ride out with me. I'd like to take the northern route through North Dakota, Montana etc. If we did that route I'd only have three states left to visit out of the 50 (Maine, Vermont and Alaska). I have a wild hair to drive the '38 and give Frank (BUKE) a run for his money on longest driven pre-war, but I have to get a top on the car first. Then I would pick up the wife and kids at the airport. We'll see...

Guest Rob McDonald

The Oregon coastal highway 101 has more state parks than towns, so you know it's a very special place. I've driven that road in an MG and my arms ached at the end of the day, from see-sawing around thousands of corkscrew turns.

BRIAN, me and my Buick will meet you in Missoula, Montana, where Highway 94 (also known as Alberta Highway 2) meets Interstate 90.

Guest Rob McDonald

One 10-hour day, if you've got arms like Schwarzenegger... used to. Because it is so incredibly beautiful, you should plan on spending at least one night somewhere halfway, just so you can watch the sun set over the Pacific. The California stretch of the same road (also called 101) is busier but just as scenic. And twisty. South of San Francisco, you get into Carmel and Big Sur territory, which is really out of this world but probably bumper-to-bumper. Actually, down there, that would be Ferrari-bumper-to-Rolls-Royce-bumper.

Guest COMPACTBC

Brian, yes once we leave San Rafael, CA (just north of San Francisco on hwy. 101) we will be traveling up 101 thru several State Parks (Redwoods St Pk, Richardson Grove St. Pk.) all the way to Crescent City near the Oregon border. We will then take U.S. Hwy 199 to Grants Pass, OR, where we will stay at the Riverside Inn Resort, which is right on the Rouge River. The next day it is just about a half day to the host hotel in Portland.

I see you have a 2008 Dodge Charger Super Bee, is that a pickup? I have 2006 Dodge Charger R/T 4 dr with a Hemi, what an "E" ticket ride! ( interpretation for youngsters, the "E" ticket was the best ride at Disneyland).

Guest COMPACTBC

John, if you are planning on going South on Hwy. 101 from Oregon, I might suggest you get off of 101 near Leggett, CA, and take Hwy. #1 down toward San Francisco if you REALLY want to enjoy the Coast, and plan on staying at some place like Mendocino, CA. You will never forget that trip!!! It will take at least 2 days.

Brian, yes once we leave San Rafael, CA (just north of San Francisco on hwy. 101) we will be traveling up 101 thru several State Parks (Redwoods St Pk, Richardson Grove St. Pk.) all the way to Crescent City near the Oregon border. We will then take U.S. Hwy 199 to Grants Pass, OR, where we will stay at the Riverside Inn Resort, which is right on the Rouge River. The next day it is just about a half day to the host hotel in Portland.

I see you have a 2008 Dodge Charger Super Bee, is that a pickup? I have 2006 Dodge Charger R/T 4 dr with a Hemi, what an "E" ticket ride! ( interpretation for youngsters, the "E" ticket was the best ride at Disneyland).

No it's an SRT Charger 4 door the 6.1 Liter Hemi.

John, if you are planning on going South on Hwy. 101 from Oregon, I might suggest you get off of 101 near Leggett, CA, and take Hwy. #1 down toward San Francisco if you REALLY want to enjoy the Coast, and plan on staying at some place like Mendocino, CA. You will never forget that trip!!! It will take at least 2 days.

Hi Bruce, That sounds like exactly what we want to do. Except we would like to do that all the way from Portland. I assume there is a US 1 all the way up the coast?

Hey Guys !!

If we publish the dates here,

JULY 23 - 26, 2014

hopefully we will be able to help more members actually plan to attend.

post-54863-143142158843_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142158845_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142158858_thumb.jpg

Hi Bruce, That sounds like exactly what we want to do. Except we would like to do that all the way from Portland. I assume there is a US 1 all the way up the coast?

John, you have to head west out of Portland to the Coast which takes about an 1-1.5 hours depending on route. The coast Hwy down Oregon is 101 which extends down into California. Near Mendocino, you'll then go off 101 to Hwy 1 down the coast to San Francisco. I've just come back from the Oregon Coast and its a beautiful drive. The drive from Portland to the Coast is pretty nice as well. From Portland to San Francisco would be a 3 day trip along the coast building in some stops, but well worth it. I wish I was doing the caravan up from California with these folks, what they are planning would be a great experience!

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)

Guest akabrew

The Orange County Chaoter BCA Caravan up the Ca. coast to Portland . will depart on July 22, 2014. We plan to drive to San Rafael the first day a bit of a push 474 miles from Disneyland Anaheim Ca. We have an email address to keep track of everything and send updates. . If you are interested in going contact us at buickroadtrip@gmail.com Any and all are welcome to join in at any point in the tour even if you are not driving a Buick. Plans for the return down the coast are in the works. I will not be able to reply to any emails this week. AKABREW

Guest Rob McDonald
JULY 23 - 26, 2014 hopefully we will be able to help more members actually plan to attend.

I'll need constant motivation to finish my car in the next ten months ("finish" is a relative term - let's just call it getting it safely drivable for a long trip). Where in Portland - my favourite city in the whole wide world - will the BCA National Meet be held? What is the host hotel?

Guest COMPACTBC

I almost ordered the SRT but I figured I could get in enough trouble with just the R/T model, plus there was a $1200 gas guzzler charge that I was unwilling to pay.

Guest COMPACTBC

There will be two caravans leaving S. CA for the BCA National in Oregon, one is going up the Coast on HWY 101 to San Rafael in one day and the other is going up U.S.Hwy 99 before cutting over to HWY 101 in the San Rafael area. This second caravan leaving on July 21 will take 2 days to get to Garberville, CA on HWY.101. This is being done to avoid the coast HWY 101 one day 483 mile trip to San Rafael. After Garberville, think both caravans will be going up HWY 101 thru the Redwoods and then taking HWY 199 to Grants Pass for the night. In Grants Pass it is recommended that we stay in the Riverside Inn which is a great place to stay right on the Rough River.

Guest Rob McDonald
Red Lion on the River and its on the north end of Portland on Hayden Island

Wow, it's practically on the swap meet grounds! Very familiar territory for Northwest old car hobbyists. Excellent choice. Did I ever mention how much I love Portland?

post-59990-143142168929_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest Mike Hanning

Chuck, What car to you intend to take on that Caravan? It might have bearing on our USA destination for our flights from New Zealand to attend the Nationals! I am tempted to buy another Buick, (in the USA), and join you.

Mike Hanning

Christchurch

New Zealand

BCA #40630

Guest 75RivGS

For that same idea (caravan and attending nats) we're looking for another Buick somewhere on the west coast (preferably a 67/68 Electra/Wildcat or a 71 Riviera)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mike righ now we are planning to take our Reatta. Dont really have any hard plans yet but I figure on 2 days from LosAngles. There are several museums we want to stop at on the way.

When your get your travel plan tell me where and when....Sounds like fun, Ill buy the first BUD

Chuck Kerls