Miracles Do Happen

Earl B.

In looking for a car, I found one in Hutchinson, but never heard back from the seller. The ad had no date on it and I contacted some old car folks I knew to see if they maybe knew someone to contact, but nothing came of it. I wonder if the car is still there...or what???

Well, I adjusted the arrow, spring arrangement today, and so far, so good with the hood. Here is the main culprit, the round part the latch hooks onto. (Red arrow) Looks like someone has beat on that piece too.

post-48053-143141994561_thumb.jpg

Out again running around, and the car runs really well mostly. If I go someplace, and then go to start it back up after sitting a few minutes, it doesn't want to star right up. I usually have to start it twice...or, when backing up, or just starting it will cut off, and the transmission is still being aggravating. I start in low and about 10 mph I shift to D and it works well. If I start in D it still has to spin a second and then jumps and goes... With working on the garage and other things around here I haven't had time to do anything yet.

I have found a guy who is good with older trannies. He's about 40 miles from me.. I hope to go see him before the end of the month.

Our '55 when I was a child, had a front license plate. I went out the other day to put my Shriner tag on the front, and there are no holes for a license plate. As usual, I'm puzzled. Was there some sort of brace that hooked under the car that came around that held the plate or what?

post-48053-143141999477_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Friday night the Southeastern NC chapter of AACA had a cruise in in Goldsboro, and I went.. 40 miles and the longest trip so far. Performed absolutely beautifully!!! The only part that scared me was when I got to Goldsboro, I hit the first stop light and the oil gauge dropped to nothing. A previous owner I'd talked to said he'd had a bad oil leak. I've been keeping a check on the dip stick, and never was low. Well, I'd driven the Buick at a pretty good clip over there, and wondered if I'd lost oil. When I got to Sonic and gave the oil time to drain back down, I checked it and no problems, the oil read full. I drove it back home at a more sensible speed, and just to see if it'd be any different when i got home, and when I got back here and it slowed down, the oil pressure dropped again.

I talked to Mike M. on the phone today and he said "It's normal". Good enough for me.... Anyone else have a car that does this?

Mine does the same. After a long steady cruise with good oil pressure, stopping at red light the oil psi drops and the temp starts back up.

I shift to neutral while I await the light change. The higher RPM in neutral allows the fan to move more air across the radiator and the oils psi comes up a bit

Once I got my timing and idle set correctly, the heat up at a stop light , is not as severe . And the oil psi does not bottom out as low as before.

Also, I upgraded my radiator cap to a 13 psi (from 7 psi). And added two quarts of "Water Wetter" to the coolant system.

Next, I plan to seal off all holes in the core support. Hopefully direct more air to the radiator.

Do what old-tank suggested. Auto parts stores like NAPA, AutoZone, and the likes sell them.

Tell the clerk what you want to do, they will help.

Most gauges are ROUND, with brass male fitting coming out the bottom, could be female threads, and I have seen some that have male threads, then on the inside of such, female threads.

The gauge will have numbers printed on the dial under the glass.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done much with the car, working on the garage instead. I did get the car out today, sprayed in the wheel wells, under the engine, and backs of the wheels with 'Awesome'. It's a strong cleaner I get at Dollar Tree. I really needed for it to set longer, but it was getting dark. I went to the car wash that takes quarters.... took $4-5 worth, and sprayed out under the car... My, my at the krud that came out from under that car. It's got to be 2-3 pounds lighter... haha..... The funny part was that when I pulled up in the wash bay, there was an empty bottle of Awesome laying there... I guess someone esle had the same idea that I did....I'm sure there's still plenty that needs to come out from under there... that's a posting for another day....

August 1 was the Southeastern NC AACA chapter meeting, and I thought I'd drive the Buick...an easy 15 miles. Well, all went well going to the meeting, but, on the way home, I learned that a 58 year old gas gauge is not always accurate...Please don't ask me how I know this.... Let us all be thankful for the good people in this world who help out people with old cars....

August 1 was the Southeastern NC AACA chapter meeting, and I thought I'd drive the Buick...an easy 15 miles. Well, all went well going to the meeting, but, on the way home, I learned that a 58 year old gas gauge is not always accurate...Please don't ask me how I know this.... Let us all be thankful for the good people in this world who help out people with old cars....

LMAO!!!

Been there, done that. Stupid gas gauge, anyhow.

Ben

Too many times...

Reset the trip odometer and fill up after every 100 miles of city driving and 150 of miles highway driving until you know what mileage to expect, then you may be able to stretch it a bit.

I also check the mileage on every tank, not so I can be depressed, but to alert me to problems ( a big drop a few months ago revealed a non working vacuum advance ).

Willie

Ever been on the horns or a dilema? Well, I was today. A guy stopped by and guess what he wanted to buy??? Three guesses, and the first two don't count. And he has the $$ to do it with. It was a loooooong second before I said, Well, not right now... we'll see about the future.... I was luck in finding this car and I know it. Yes, it still needs work, but sooooooo much work was done mechanically before I got it. I hope I'm not crazy.... well, not too crazy anyway...

B,

I was going to suggest you could always give him a slightly high dollar price and if it sells, you can use the MrEarl Buick locating service and find another Buick. I bet you would end up with a nice 1954 Buick that way. (I did!)

Matt, I realize Mr. Earl is dangerous with those '54s....haha....

Mr. Earl, you commented on the Packard32 name not working any more... Well, I got a new name now....Like I said...I'm the real Mr. Earl hahahaha:o

B,

I was going to suggest you could always give him a slightly high dollar price and if it sells, you can use the MrEarl Buick locating service and find another Buick. I bet you would end up with a nice 1954 Buick that way. (I did!)

Saving every 54 he can along the way....

You see he figured out a while back that he can not buy them all himself so he started his own 1954 Buick match making service. I have been the beneficiary of 2 54 Roadmasters from this program.friends.gif

In 1954 we had a Lincoln Capri, and I think I remember it, but I'm not really sure. I had wanted a '55 because the first car I really remember well was our '55 Super Riviera. My father was a caraholic and had a new one ever year or two. I've often wondered why he had a Super since always before he'd had Roadmasters. Maybe it was the scarcity of them.. No one left to ask, so I'll never know for sure.

The choices I'd narrowed down to were a 1955 Roadmaster-Super, 1957 Lincolnn Premier, or a 1963 Riviera. Because of the comraderie in the Buick forum, and seeing how helpful everyone was, I narrowed it down to the Buicks. I'd found a '63 in Pa., but, the distance to go look, and then, if bought to get it home. When I found the '55 'just' four hours from home, fate sort of decided the car for me. With the car being almost totally mechanically redone, and with the price I paid..I'm pretty sure this is a keeper unless something unforseen comes up.

Y'all are kind of stuck with me....

Edited by Earl B. (see edit history)

Dave,,me be good???? Who do you have me confused with??? Did you get the plum brandy or Georgia Homemade Elixer at the BCA breakfast? You must have gotten one of them and gave it a few good swigs tonight.. hahaha

Dave,,me be good???? Who do you have me confused with??? Did you get the plum brandy or Georgia Homemade Elixer at the BCA breakfast? You must have gotten one of them and gave it a few good swigs tonight.. hahaha

OK..... It's Earl B. Bad then??? Here's to Mr.Earl with some moonshine behind the tree. Hic... :o Dandy Dave!

Ever been on the horns or a dilema? Well, I was today. A guy stopped by and guess what he wanted to buy??? Three guesses, and the first two don't count. And he has the $$ to do it with. It was a loooooong second before I said, Well, not right now... we'll see about the future.... I was luck in finding this car and I know it. Yes, it still needs work, but sooooooo much work was done mechanically before I got it. I hope I'm not crazy.... well, not too crazy anyway...

Everything I have is for sale.