Has anybody ever seen one of these?

Curti

As an Auburn tech advisor, I get a lot of inquiries. A gentleman inherited this. He was lead to believe it is a 1934 Auburn prototype. Well, we know that isn't true.

I don't think it is a kit car, as I recognize some Auburn parts on it. The question of the day is: are there more in existence?

How many different makes of parts do you see here?

As Matt said scale is tough but I looked at this earlier and it looked a little big to be based on a TR to me. TR-3 wheelbase is 88 inches, so this one is a little more than a foot longer. Lines of cowl, doors and rear sure look TR-2/3 inspired but the rumble would never fit in a TR trunk which is barely big enough for a lunch box or two. Wheels look beefy - bet there is a substantial, V-8 chassis underneath. Lines are interesting, but not quite as porportioned as you can see sometimes if you look at some of those old pocket size Rod & Custom mags. Looks like an older homebuilt that was updated at some point. Agree with A.J. - a step up from last week. One more and we will be there... :D

Two ways to dramatically improve this car would be to remove the add ons - hood ornament, luggage rack, maybe a couple other things and tone down the color. Then it would be, well graceful is not the word but improved for sure...

I'm always astounded at what some people think they have. The Duesenberg, the Model T Opera Car, this "Auburn", etc. Even for a non car guy, you would think that the anachronisms would be obvious. The automatic transmissions, tilt wheels, modern V-8s, the liberal use of fiberglass and bondo and so on. Yey they continue to pop up and the new owners think they have a rare antique. If you try to set them straight, some insist you're wrong. Some, as in the Shay owner on eBay, become angry. I ran across a guy a few years ago that wanted to sell me his early, single cylinder Indian for a pretty good price. It was a Whizzer. He insisted it was an Indian. I wished him well.

One thing for sure John, we can always count on you for a non sugar coated opinion. I am not complaining, you tell it the way you see it. What I see on the car is the original 16" 1934-1936 Auburn Kelsey Hayes wire wheels. The front and rear bumpers and bumper brackets. The front fenders could well have been 35-36 Auburn but modified, the skirts look familiar. There is a V8 under the hood. More than likely a SB Chev. I imagine it would really scoot with 300 HP. I have no idea how it stops. The original Auburn Bendix brakes may be behind those wheels. They would stop that little car like that just fine. If the original dual-ratio rear diff has not been swapped out, it won't stand very many jack-rabbit starts before there is a lot of bad noises.

Two ways to dramatically improve this car would be to remove the add ons - hood ornament, luggage rack, maybe a couple other things and tone down the color. Then it would be, well graceful is not the word but improved for sure...

Steve, I think you could apply this advice to most cars that you see at a AACA or CCCA show ;)

Guest Bob Call

My guess is this is a custom built on a late model chassis using a fiberglass replica body of a Morgan Plus 8 as the base. Here is a link to Morgan Plus 8 photos.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-900-s&sz=all&va=morgan+plus+8+roadster

It has hints of Auburn speedster. For you Auburn guys here is a link to a photo that will make you puke.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7hmw9UhR.2wA0PFXNyoA?p=auburn%20speedster%20lowrider%20photos&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-900-s

<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Guest Bob Call

My guess is this is a custom built on a late model chassis using a fiberglass replica body of a Morgan Plus 8 as the base. Here is a link to Morgan Plus 8 photos.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-900-s&sz=all&va=morgan+plus+8+roadster

It has hints of Auburn speedster. For you Auburn guys here is a link to a photo that will make you puke.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7hmw9UhR.2wA0PFXNyoA?p=auburn%20speedster%20lowrider%20photos&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-900-s

<!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Personally I don't see anything about it that I like.

Maybe it's a Barbie doll car set for a parade. IMO, a ton of work to produce disappointing results.

But with that said, I'm sure at a BJ auction folks would bid it up. LOL.

Dale in Indy

That is it! I'm buying it and taking it to Hef's Play Boy Mansion. You Guys are missing the opportunety of a Life time here. What would be better than having your car in Play Boy with the Playmate of the month all over it? Want to ride along Dale? Dandy Dave!