1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

I've heated them up before but I thought I'd give the dishwashing liquid a go this time.

Trouble I had was while I was fitting them I forgot I'd removed the brakes and backing plates so I must have pressed the brake pedal a bit and I had a puddle of brake fluid at the back of the car. Rookie mistake !!!!! I had to laugh though....I thought....you idiot !

I put the luggage rack grommets on easily with just hit water and-or hair dryer 

I was always so told not to use WD-40 on rubber pads .. but I used to put grease on motorcycle tank pads to slide them in .  

but yea .. restoring rubber with grease is probably not good .. 

I used a tine bit of dishwashing liquid on my luggage rack grommets only because I couldn't find a mug that would fit them in. So far so good, no discolouration.

I pulled out the gear shift grommet and part of it has gone brown. I'll post a pic later to see if anyone has a cure !

Ian .. I boil hot water in a pot .  Then set the parts in to soak .. I forgot if I used a little grease For the luggage rack grommets .. tho I hope I did   .. I’ve never (in my motorcycle years anyway) had grease discolor rubber .. Or anything else .. do you think the dishwasher liquid did it ?? Strange

We may have to consider that there are different qualities of repop rubber .. different compositions .. I don’t know anything specific .. but that could be a factor .. all my MC stuff came from one fabricator and he was good . 

When I inserted the rubber in the DA windscreen frame I used Wurth Rubber Care. Comes in a spray can and was recommended in another old thread (by 1930, if I remember correctly). It is quite dear, but by far the best I have used in rubber. The windscreen frame had extensive repairs (by me) and was a very tight fit in a number of places. Tried lots of different detergents and stuff at the time and all were unsuccessful. The rubber care worked and worked well. Wurth a try (pun intended!) if something is giving you a really hard time.

On 10/12/2020 at 1:06 AM, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Bit the bullet and though I'd better pull the rear drum and brakes off to replace the cracked banjo fitting. Chocked the rear of the car, got the tyres off and removed everything. You can see the damage the brake fluid has done over time. Glad I found it now rather then when the car is finished. Taken the backing plate to a blaster and then I'll get them repainted. I'm glad I bought a drum puller !....boy they let go with a bang but didn't have too much trouble. Took more time to get the brake springs off.

IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

IMG_5250.jpg

I am going through something similar on my ‘33 brakes. Imagine my surprise to find that the nut on the back of the plate didn’t move the cam on the front of the plate. I had it spot welded in three or four places and that seems to have fixed the problem. Zeke

Always problems, isn't there !

Thought I'd better strip the brake cylinders down just to check on them. Looks like I better do all 4. Lucky I had them sleaved in stainless steel. Once I got the pistons out it literally wiped clean internally.

Now the question I have is there any way to clean up the pistons. There not damaged just a little crusty....only word I could use to describe them.

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg

6 hours ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Always problems, isn't there !

Thought I'd better strip the brake cylinders down just to check on them. Looks like I better do all 4. Lucky I had them sleaved in stainless steel. Once I got the pistons out it literally wiped clean internally.

Now the question I have is there any way to clean up the pistons. There not damaged just a little crusty....only word I could use to describe them.

IMG_5268.jpg

I used the finest grade steel wool (0000) and basically polished mine. A little effort but effective. Zeke

Thanks guys, great suggestions. I'll see which one I can get first. Have to work around the lockdown !!!

Picked up the brake backing plates from the blaster and dropped them off to the painter.....some days I don't know which way I'm facing with all the things happening at one time.

• Like 1

Can’t give anything very objective or analytic.. have never seen discoloration like that .. have to question the quality - composition of the material ... and Perhaps  compare to other rubber products from same manufacturer and different manufacturers to understand  .. geez ..