1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

They work a treat !

Sorry I’ve been off the forum for a while. My mum passed away so everything is on the back burner until the dust settles.

Funeral is today and it’s suppose to be 38 degrees...... boy, can I pick em !

I’ll be back to it soon

Cheers

Ian

Hi Les,

You mean those damn metal frames which have that damn vulcanised rubber surrounding them that are for those damn rear quarter windows ???

Off and on for eight years I searched for a solution for these things.....they are a s rare as hen's teeth.....only because the water use to sit in them and rust the metal frame out.

What I had was that one of my complete frames was in pretty good condition. The guy that organised my glass for the car, I showed him and told him of my plight.

At this point I was telling anybody that would listen.

He reckoned he could make up a wooden frame to the correct shape to suit the metal frame. He said he would then coat the frame in beeswax ( as a releasing agent ) and then inject polyeurathane  into the frame which should give me a decent replicated rubberised frame.

I said, well nothing ventured nothing gained.

So I "gave" him my good frame ( praying that he wouldn't lose it ), and heard nothing for a number of months.

I got this phone call saying that he had my fame ready and could he drop by.

Well bugger me, it looked new ! Cost me like $250 but I reckon given the level of stress finding something like that it was worth every cent.

Some guys I know instead of going down this track, got some rear window rubber and a piece of glass cut to shape, and basically made theirs into a fixed window.

Hope this helps....

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mate,

Thanks for the follow up. It’s stressing me out not working on the car.

doing ok.....just so much to do......

Trying to get back to it.

I really wanted to finish the car and take mum for a drive in it.

Never mind....back to it ASAP.

cheers

• Like 1

After a bit of advice.

Thinking of selling my Dodge Passenger Car Master Parts List Volume 2 Book. This is an original and not a reprint.

Really good condition for its age and no scribbling inside. Obviously suit someone with just Volume 1 i guess.

I've never had Volume 1 and I've seen both books go for $300.

Do you think $150 is a fair price ?

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5662.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok, so back on the car now we've got a lot of my mum's estate sorted.

I didn't want to pay a solicitor to do the probate so I did it myself....its actually quite easy with step by step instructions on the supreme court website.

( anyone in Oz that has to go through the same process its worth a look )

Soooo....finished readjusting the rear brakes, cleaned up the pistons and bolted everything back on. I used my nifty little brake adjustment tool I got from a guy in the States. Now I have to redo the front brakes and bleed them.

Started back on the interior. I recut the patterns myself and gave them to the upholsterer. This is only temporary but the rear garnish molds fit a lot better now the panels have been remade. At lot of adjustments to go, but getting there. I've tried contacting the guy who is redoing the rope at the rear of the front seat as well as the passenger assist straps but can't get hold of him. He has my original chrome plated ends for all these so I'm just hoping he's still there.

More progress soon I hope !

Cheers

Ian

IMG_5666.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

IMG_5735.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Matt,

Tried to keep it in with the year of the car. Wish I had the drive and experience you have with the cars. I'm aiming at trying to finish mine mid this year but see how we go.

• Like 1

Hey Ian, thanks for an update on the brake adjustment tool. Glad it worked out. I shipped the tool to you last May. It's from Canada! Lol.

Good work on the restoration. Cheers Mate. 

Hey thanks Keith. Yeah both rear brakes I've used it and now I'll do the front as well. Both this tool and brake spring tool make a job I was dreading a lot easier to deal with.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1