1934 Dodge Full Body Off Restoration

Its taking a bit longer than anticipated. With this virus thing and lockdown its hard to get out to look at the car.

I still have to go as the upholsterer has questions he needs an answer to and show me any issues he's having.

Yesterday the police pulled a South Australian guy up in country Victoria for driving eratically. His Blood Alcohol reading was .313 which is 6 times over the legal limit.

There were four or five people in the car so the cops fined each of them $1650 for breaking the Social Distancing rule....hahahaha

Also a mother and her daughter were also pulled up as the daughter had her "L" plates on but not a valid reason to be out. They were also fined.....but I believe the fine was revoked after public outrage.

Interesting times I must say !!!

Cheers

Ian 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so a bit more of an update now I have my computer glitches sorted out ( which took a few weeks ).

The upholsterer has almost finished the front and rear seats. The buttons went in and then it was heated with a heat gun to shrink the leather and remove the creases where the buttons are. The rear panels aboce the seats have been formed and are just sitting in place. These will be straightened and adhered. Once the garnish molds go in place that should pull everything into alignment. The holes above the rear quarter vent window are for the window winder and the passenger assist strap. Rear arm rests not quite finished yet along with the panel above it. More adjusting and adhering.

Also got my hubcap skins back the other week and ready to have the black lettering and ring done. I'll tackle that when I get a bit of time.

Still working on a lot of small things at home for when she gets back.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_4601.jpg

IMG_4600.jpg

IMG_4582.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

IMG_4584.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting. I'm going to be doing this in the near future and am curious about the best way to go about it.  I've seen where they are tacked on and then the heads of the tacks are carefully pulled under the cloth but still hold the upholstery board beneath.  I'm sure the upholstery experts can explain the process, but I've yet to try it.  That obviously won't work in your case as you are not using cloth fabric.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Finally got time to sit down and post where things are up to. The upholsterer is moving along. I've attached a photo of the side that has been fitted as a trial. A lot of adjusting to do as well. Funny thing is when I got home I noticed the header panel was done and I didn't even notice it in the car. I also noticed that on the pillar near the front window has also been done but this should be covered with the garnish molds. A lot of the upholstery will be held back when the garnish molds go in. I'm going over later in the week and hopefully help to fit the front seat in place.

Also started to think about the exhaust system. I went and saw a guy not too far from me and he's happy to do my system. He asked if I had the original hangers for the exhaust pipe and I said I actually got nothing when I bought the car as it must have been too far gone. Then I thought of a friend of mine who is modifying a 34 and contacted him. Low and behold....he had them hanging up in the shed. Sent them to me and I got about stripping them down as the exhaust maker has a small blast cabinet so he'll blast the and reassemble when he does my system. I was amazed and the amount of parts just to have the two exhaust hangers. I'll drop these off tomorrow.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

. . . Also started to think about the exhaust system. I went and saw a guy not too far from me and he's happy to do my system. He asked if I had the original hangers for the exhaust pipe and I said I actually got nothing when I bought the car as it must have been too far gone. Then I thought of a friend of mine who is modifying a 34 and contacted him. Low and behold....he had them hanging up in the shed. Sent them to me and I got about stripping them down as the exhaust maker has a small blast cabinet so he'll blast the and reassemble when he does my system. I was amazed and the amount of parts just to have the two exhaust hangers. I'll drop these off tomorrow.

Thanks for the photos. They look very much like what I think might fit my '33 Plymouth but were long gone by the time I got the car. I’ve saved them and if/when I replace the exhaust system I’ll use them to fabricate something closer to factory than what I’ve got now.

Ron, your a shocker. No, they are Imperial but I used stainless steel so they wont rust.

I've booked the car to be picked up from the upholsterer next Thursday and taken to the Exhaust Guy. Then the following Thursday picked up and brought back home.......then the fun begins !!

7 hours ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Ron, your a shocker. No, they are Imperial but I used stainless steel so they wont rust. . .

I know about Whitworth and SAE specifications for nuts, bolts and threads using the inch system. But what are “Imperial”? Yet another standard out of the UK or just a term meaning something like SAE?

Anywho, took myself off to the Upholsterer and the first part was to reinstall the rear seat on the hinges and install the "stay". We had to unpick some of the rear lining material and find exactly where the holes were. Also we finally worked out which way around the stay went and installed that. We decided not to cut the lining material rather then leave it so the stay bracket when screwed in place actually stretched the lining material. Finally got the hinges and stay done and installed back in the car. Not a very big area for luggage I must say ! The upholsterer also lined the rear of the luggage area and made up a little mat for the floor.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4689.jpg

IMG_4691.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

• Like 1

I am surprised by how that rear seat back hinges up. On my '33 Plymouth it simply hangs off of a couple of welded hooks/tabs and has a couple of heavy duty wire loop pieces on the bottom that go behind the seat cushion.

In '33/'34 Dodge and Plymouth shared a lot of parts, including in some cases the basic body shell. This really points out what the buyer got by upgrading from a Plymouth to a Dodge.

As to size: That is a pretty tight spot. I can barely get a jack, lug wrench and a small tool roll in there. I can't imagine actually trying to put luggage into that space.

I think the difference between the 34 Dodge and the 34 Plymouth, at least insofar as the back seat assembly is concerned, is more dependent upon the style/design of the rear of the sedan body than of the Dodge being up-market.  See the attached photo of my 34 PE sedan.  As you can see and similar to ply33's sedan from 33, the body is somewhat 'cropped off', leaving a large, separate sheet metal cover for the rear of the frame and the gas tank area.  The 33 is similar, although the cover is shorter.  On the 34 Dodge, as can be seen from Ian's earlier photographs, the body swoops down in a 'ducktail' fashion, all the way to the bumper bolts, without a separate gas tank shroud.  That is probably why Dodge provided easy access, as the space was larger and more useable.  As with the 33, the 34 has room for my jack and some tools, not much else.  The top of the seat frame hangs off a couple of brackets and the bottom screws into the bottom of the braces behind the springs.

Keep up the great work Ian, I am in awe.  SMB

181923450_20200515_0744561.thumb.jpg.b36a6fd27cf4b820cbbc48da5881b2c1[1].jpg

Dropped over to the Upholsterer prior to sending to the exhaust maker. Gave my upholsterer a hand fitting the front seat. In a previous post ( a number of years ago ) I cleaned up and got working properly the front seat runners. Mounted these in the floor where he cut a slot for them in the carpet. Mounted these and then put the base of the front seat in. Four bolts to hold it and then did a temp fitting of the lower cushion. Got to sit in the car for the first time in 20 years....actually got a bit emotional !.....anyhow all the rear lining boards etc should align once the garnish molds go in and a screwed into place. Still have a lot of adjusting to do but we'll get that sorted as we go along. The truck came and we loaded her up to go to the exhaust maker. Took my brother with me and we followed it along the road. As the truck driver turned the corned there was a rush of petrol spewed out from the left side of the fuel tank. Now this hasn't spilt a drop in ten years so either the filler neck has a problem or the tank has a split in it. Once the exhaust guy has drained the tank and he's finished his work, I have to drop the tank and check it out.......at least it present a problem now and not on the road......that would have been a disaster. Just goes to shows you're sure everything is ok and then something crops up !

There's never any problems.....only answers !

Cheers

Ian

IMG-4693.jpg

IMG-4694.jpg

IMG-4695.jpg

IMG-4696.jpg

IMG-4697.jpg

IMG-4698.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

• Like 5

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 3:18 PM, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Hi Scott,

Thanks mate, she's getting there.

Could you do me a favour. Could you crawl under you car and take a few shots of where your exhaust system is mounted. I know one spot but just not sure how many anchor points there are.

Cheers

Ian

Ian--Will crawl under my 34 Dodge DRXX coupe this weekend, much more original than my PE sedan, and will shoot you a couple of photos.  SMB

IMG01077-20140831-1856.jpg

• Like 1

Ian--

Couple of photos of the two hangers on my 34 Dodge DRXX.  First two are of the hanger from the rear of the frame X-member.  Third one, apologies for the quality, is at the rear by the gas tank cross member.  Your hangers appear to be complete, this is where they go, as far as I know.  Hope these help.  SMB

20200530_175251.jpg

20200530_175108.jpg

20200530_175324.jpg

Dropped over to the exhaust guy yesterday and did a number of things. First job ( while up on a hoist....I have to get one of these ! ) was to drop the fuel tank. Drained it and undid the retaining straps. Couldn't work out why it wouldn't drop and then realised that the filler neck, grommet etc was still in place.....rookie mistake ! Sorted that out and finally got it removed. It became quite apparent of the problem. While the tank itself is in good order the sleeve that holds the filler tube was cracked most of the way around hence the leaking of fuel when the car was being transported. Found a place locally to where I was that actually makes and repairs long range fuel tanks. They will have it repaired in a week or so. Second problem was a leaking rear right side brake cylinder or so I thought. The leak appeared to be coming from the brake line where it goes into the banjo fitting rather than the cylinder. I tightened it up a bit and it continued to turn. Closer inspection I found that there was a crack in the banjo fitting. I'll source another one and then fix it. I'll have to remove the backing plate as the brake fluid has caused a bit of havoc with the paint. 

The exhaust guy took all the bracket fittings home and blaster and coated them. When I arrived he had them bolted in place and the exhaust system had been delivered. He couldn't get a round muffler so we opted for one as close as we could get which in the end actually sat up a bit higher. I decided on stainless steel piping so it wont rust and he buffed the end to give the impression of a chrome tip. He made up the rubber woven supports that take up the vibration in the brackets and the end result was that it is extremely sturdy. Another job off the list. I've arranged for it to be picked up next Tuesday and brought home. I'll have to refit the fuel tank and other items when she gets home.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_4739.jpg

61294288518__70DB3558-C739-41C8-A107-CAC27352CDB5.JPG

IMG_4734.jpg

IMG_4737.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

IMG_4744.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

• Like 6

Soooo.....Rummaging around my bits and pieces I got when I original bought the car I came across two complete brake drum / backing plate setups. Couldn't see the Banjo Fitting for the year and years of muck built up around the. Finally got the socket over the bolt and removed them. Looks like they may had had a few fails and changed the design so the collar is incorporated in the complete fitting. They cleaned up pretty well. 

Also took a shot of the front of the car.....slightly different aspect of the car.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_4775.jpg

IMG_4774.jpg

• Like 4

Now come all the fiddly bits and pieces and trying to get everything to fit in place.

First job was to get the front seat runners bolted in place.....that was pretty straight forward once I had the right size bolts !

Found the upholsterer used the two forward holes on one side and the two back holes on the other side....so I just adjusted the runners to suit, otherwise I would have had to cut the carpet :(

Once done I got the cross bar which I painted and two clevis pins which I didn't have. These were a little too long so I used a spacer and cut it down to suit. Trimmed the split pins and I think the end result looks the part.

Just to make my wife happy, I got the two Front Bumper Bar Bolt Iron Covers out of the lounge room and made sure they had a tight fit.

Two things off an extremely long list.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_4782.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

IMG_4784.jpg

IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

IMG_4789.jpg

• Like 4

A few more bits and pieces :

Got the Dome Light housing installed, fitted a new globe and fitted the glass cover and retainer ring. Had a trial fit of the header panel so before I put the sunvisors on I 'm confident it will fit in place. Also trial fitted the dash trim panel to see how it looks. Came up pretty good with a snug fit. So far so good. Still having problems with the left side door as I think it may have been bent inwards at one stage as the window frame is binding on the door........No problems....only solutions.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4790.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

• Like 3

Hey all,

Been a bit busy lately to do any progress on the Dodge. I did find time ( as we all do ) to buy something. It arrived all bolted together ( all 750 kg of it ) so spend most of yesterday putting it together.

As my garage roof height is 3.4mt I bought the extra height left one so when the car is under it the ramps sit above the car and you don't hit your head on it. I just have a few adjustments to do and then bolt it to the floor before I put the car on it.

Started work on the glove box and glove box door and getting it to fit. There is a large gap between the lugs at the bottom of the dash when the glove box door bolts to and the bottom of the glove box so I'll make up a wooden support which should fill the gap nicely. Once done I'll adjust the do so it shuts properly. I'll post photos when I'm a bit further along.

Cheers

Ian

IMG_4832.jpg

IMG_4838.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found time to work on the car and post a few more photos. After contacting a few other dodge owners they sent me photos showing three lug at the bottom of where the gloxebox attaches to. Typical....not on my car !...back to making my little wooden support. Used a piece of redgum ( very hard timber ) . Grabbed the rebuilt glove box door with all the fittings and cut my little piece of redgum to suit. Made sure it fitted between the two hinges and didn't foul on them. Allowing for the bolts to hold it in place, I made a smalled piece, drilled the holes and countersunk them so the screws wouldn't hot on the hinge support. Tempory fitted the anchoring screws after marking out on the glovebox base. Checked the glovebox for fit around the door and where the hinges go and then adjusted the hinge slot in the base of the glove box. Finally after all that attached the glovebox door. Another two hours of adjusting and finally go the glove box door to shut properly. Now all I have to do is put the actual glove box in the housing !

Funny thing is I thought after a few hours I'd have this whole thing finished....sometime the simple things take the longest time to do !

Cheers

Ian

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4817.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4923.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Hi Steve,

These were chromed when I got the car so I just got them replated ( after fixing one of them ).

Was this not the case originally ?

Cheers

Ian

For Plymouth, those covers were painted. At least as far as I can tell from the parts books and factory photos they were painted. I could be wrong.

But Dodge was a step up in the product line so I would not rule out the possibility that chrome was an option. If you are a stickler for details you should probably consult the Dodge Brothers club.