I don't own a classic car.

Just interrupting to pick a nit. Except for my 17-year-old daily driver, all my vehicles are from 38 to 96 years old. None of them is a classic. I love my T's, but classic Ford is an oxymoron. So is classic Chevy. Even my Packard isn't a classic. Vintage, veteran, old, antique and so on would apply to my aged vehicles, but not classic. Yeah, I know, all tissues came to be called kleenex and all cameras became kodaks and that didn't bring about the collapse of western civilization, but sometimes I like to get picky about proper terms.

A couple of my non-classics:

post-79505-143138709052_thumb.jpg

post-79505-143138709073_thumb.jpg

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

~Abraham Lincoln

Lincoln may have said something like that, but it was an old quote by the time he used it (different animals have been used) and it certainly should not be attributed to him.

I'm not even quite sure what the original nit pick was. Are you complaining that none of your cars are considered Classics? Are you saying that when someone calls one of your cars a "classic" that they're wrong?

Heck, they're all just old cars, looks like you have some fun ones! Enjoy!

Guest martylum

I can sympathize with the classic vs antique car designation. It does get complicated. I guess I have a semi-classic-a 33 Chrysler CQ Imperial-it's considered a classic in the AACA but not in the Classic Car Club.

Me-I just call it a Chrysler CQ and omit any reference to classic cars.

Martin Lum

33 Chrysler CQ

Being a new poster, perhaps Steve has missed out on the recurring argument that most of us are pretty familliar with.

I do find Martin's post interesting, though, as I know AACA maintains a "classic" list that did differ from the CCCA Full Classic list. Does anyone know the history of this, why there was a variance and why there still is one? Seems to me that if AACA accepts the concept, why establish a separate list? Maybe a separate topic but I would be interested in hearing from someone who has knowledge of the AACA classification system.

BTW Martin, while I am of the opinion most cars that belong on the CCCA list are already there, that is one that I think may have been missed? Seems a more likely candidate to me anyway, than some of the vehicles that have come in over the years.

Hello Steve, as you were told this never ending topic comes up regularly here on the site, often also asking what defines an antique. I am also one to honor the traditional definition that a Classic has a capital C, but other people love to use that word. Enjoy the debate and/or maybe do a search for the last one, Todd C

You guys should have to try & keep all this semantics baloney straight when going back and forth between the American and British literature. "Classic" becomes a term like "hood", which has a completely different meaning depending on which side of the ocean the speaker is from.:rolleyes:

Ah yes, the recurring theme/question/controversy. Yep, being new to this forum I didn't realize that this was one of those, but I'm familiar with the critter. In the Model T world some of the repeating themes are: water pump or not?, distributor or not?, which oil?, and a few other old favorites. Some people are annoyed when an innocent new forum participant exhumes a dead horse for further beating, but I don't mind because sometimes the resulting comments are witty and entertaining.

In this instance I wasn't griping about not having a classic. I was just quibbling with the profligate use of the term. Maybe next we should hash out what constitutes a town car. :)

In terms of 1950s sports cars, am I correct that if it has roll up windows it is a convertible coupe and if it has removable side curtains/windows it is a roadster?

That would be true of cars built in the US in the 1920s and 30s. I assume it is true of later cars too. But terminology does change over the years and I haven't paid too much attention to cars of the 1950s and the specific nomenclature used for cars of that era.

Regarding "classic" (or "antique", "vintage", etc.), if asked I simply state I have "an old car".

In terms of 1950s sportscars, am I correct that if it has roll up windows it is a convertible coupe and if it has removable side curtains/windows it is a roadster?

You're right about the "roadster" term, but if it has roll up windows then you have a "drophead coupe".

:confused:

Oops. Wrong side of the Atlantic again. Sorry!:o:)

And just to add to the confusion, in their parts lists and shop manuals Packard considered what we would call 4 Door Convertibles to be closed cars. My 140 Jag has a non removeable convertible top so it's a "Drophead". If the top were removable, whether it had roll up windows or not it would be a Roadster or in Brit Speak an OTS or Open Two Seater.

I wasn't going to get into this one on "classic" because a Crosley owner has no business there, however, when we crossed into convertable coupe, we got into my area. I have a 41 Crosley convertable coupe which has full frame windows (part of the door) that are slide to open. It is distinguished from the convertable sedan by the shape of the window frame and the fact that the coupe came stock as a 2 seater (although you could order the optional back seat) and the sedan had a stock rear seat. The convertable top also had a side window in the sedan.

My 62 Vette must be a drop-head, convertible, classic, vintage, two-seat coupe. Wow, that should add a few thousand to the value. Naw, just call it the last of the solid axels.

The movie channel has classic movies. How about if your auto was made during the time the film was made, you can call it a classic. Makes about as much sense.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Everyone has some interpretation of both "Classic" and "Antique" when it comes to vehicles. Some, including myself, think the word "Vintage" may be more appropriate with respect to reference to previous time period reference.

Are there "Classic" cars? In my mind any vehicle to be called a "Classic" should represent a design concept or engineering advancement that influenced the design direction of the entire automotive industry. Those are few and far between! Some maybe pleasing to the eye, yet others ugly as heck on the best day they ever had. Just being "old" does not make a car a "Classic" though the term is indiscriminately used by publications and enthusiasts alike.

As a matter of personal thought, the word "Antique" can apply to any car, or anything else, of any previous time period in which design is somewhat unique or subsequently replaced by something newer in concept, but not basic function. A very general term to say the least.

Below are the Merriam Webster Dictionary definitions of "Vintage", "Classic", , and "Antique" The 3a definition under Vintage seems to fit our car hobby more appropriately than any.

In comment, none of the cars I own would I consider "Classic" by my definition of design or engineering advancement. All might be considered a "Classic" example of vehicles from their time but that's about the extent of their relationship to "Classic." All could be considered "Antique" by virtue of having been replaced by different design concept, but none represent the first year of engineering advancement. All are definitely "Vintage" in that they represent a given previous time period.

Definition of VINTAGE

1a (1) : a season's yield of grapes or wine from a vineyard (2) : wine; especially : a usually superior wine all or most of which comes from a single year

b : a collection of contemporaneous and similar persons or things : crop

2: the act or time of harvesting grapes or making wine

3: a : a period of origin or manufacture <a piano of 1845 vintage>

Definition of CLASSIC

1:a : serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value <classic literary works>

b : traditional, enduring <classic designs> c : characterized by simple tailored lines in fashion year after year <a classic suit>

Definition of Antique

1: existing since or belonging to earlier times : ancient <antique trade routes to India>

2: a : being in the style or fashion of former times <antique manners and graces>

b : made in or representative of the work of an earlier period <antique mirrors>; also : being an antique

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)