Need Some Member Input

Guest Oldie & Goodie

Guest Oldie & Goodie

All things being equal, and you had a choice between a mid 50's Cadillac or a mid 50's Bel Air 4-door what would be your choice?

Assuming both needed the same work paint, interior restoration, minor engine & exterior restoration which would have the greater availability of parts and would you guess the cost about the same or night & day?

I know it's a very general question but i'm looking more for what i could expect with either and what might be the pluses and minuses between the choices.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Chevy parts are cheaper and easier to find but you will also see a lot more Chevys at cruises and car shows. Plus 4 door Chevys don't get as much respect as 2 doors so keep that in mind. The Caddy would attract more attention than the Chevy but it would also cost more to restore. If you're not on a tight budget go with the Caddy. Good luck....

Guest Dick Whittington

If money is no object, the Cadillac. But......as has been mentioned parts can be hard to find and very costly

"All things being equal" between, say a '55 Chevy and a '55 Cadillac can't really apply because of the quality differences and the complexity from one to another as far as features, electrics, etc., but if you CAN apply it here, I would go with the Chevy. I believe that you would have a much more dependable and lower cost car to maintain than the Cadillac. Of course, this is only my opinion from not owning either car. I can only imagine that the Cadillac would cost more to restore and purchase parts for. For what, though...a better ride than a '55 Chevy?

Guest Dick Whittington

Keiser, the last Caddy, a '57 DeVille convertible, that I restored, we spend over $12k on the chrome. And that was several years ago when platers were more plentiful

Keiser, the last Caddy, a '57 DeVille convertible, that I restored, we spend over $12k on the chrome. And that was several years ago when platers were more plentiful

Yep....and I would suspect that there would not be that much chrome/cost to do on the Chevy.

Guest Oldie & Goodie
If money is no object, the Cadillac. But......as has been mentioned parts can be hard to find and very costly

Money is always an object but I guess I knew that all in all the chevy would have the "lower" restoration cost. Are most of the say 55, 56 & 57 parts interchangeable or year specific?

hi, things can not be equal, between a cadillac and a chevy. as it's been pointed out, the cadillac cost much more to restore, but the cadillac is worth the investment, the tri five chevies are so common. that was just one reason of several as to why i was always glad my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina was so different than all the chevies. the pontiac was one big step closer to being cadillac like in style and class. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest South_paw

The Chevy will be much easier and cheaper to restore. Cadillac interiors and chrome will set you way back BUT when finished, the Caddy will put you in front of the pac.

You don't see one of these at every cruise night :cool:

100_1732.jpg

100_7051.jpg

100_1703.jpg

Edited by South_paw (see edit history)

I say Cadillac, but then again I am biased because I have owned several in the past.

But the photos above say it all: Cadillac.

We see so many 55-56-57 Chevrolets at the shows and cruises.

My brother walks right past them.

Lou, that car is awesome.

PP.

Guest rsd9699

The Caddy - as it will have all the electrics like windows and seats. And the ride on a long wheel base. And will likely have A/C. And will be quieter. In other words - you will get more for your money. Chevies - you are part of a dog pack - Caddy - you are the alpha dog in the pack.

Ron

Check out this car that I have lusted for since 2008. This Cadillac pictured at Bodega Bay in Northern California was my ride for the Tour that the Redwood Empire Region hosted back in 2008. It's owned by Dave Chiotti of Santa Rosa, California. Dave alowed us to drive this Caddy all week. What a nice, beautiful ride.

My family gets a chance to twist Dave's arm again next week :P when the Redwood Empire Region hosts the Dual Meet in the West next week. Can't wait!;)

Wayne

post-31395-143138634128_thumb.jpg

Guest De Soto Frank

Your fuel consumption will be higher with the Cadillac...

There is no comparison in terms of fit / finish / riding / driving comfort... the Cadillac was and is and always will be a premium luxury car, and the Chevy always was and is and will be a "working-man's car".

Now, if you asked me "which one would you want for a driver", I would probably go with the Chevy, as parts will be more plentiful, cheaper, and the fuel consumption will be less.

If you asked me "which one would I want to tour cross-country in", I would probably choose the Cadillac.

Full-scale resto costs are getting prohibitive, regardless of the vehicle, but I believe that high-end cars demand very high quality resto ( otherwise, what's the point?), so that's going to mean more $$$... and if you don't have things "done right", you have almost zero chance of ever recouping your investment.

Also, if you do go with a Caddy, make sure those rear bumper ends where the exhaust comes-out are not rusted-out....

When I was in high-school, my Uncle Mike had a 1954 Caddy series 62 sedan... it was a solid original car, but the lacquer was starting to craze, and those rear bumper-ends were rusted-out... but it was a solid, quiet, plush car... no A/C, but had power brakes, power steering, power steering, signal-seeking radio, and automatic headlight dimming... It was impressive, but I could never have afforded to fix it up or put fuel in it.

From the way the question was put I have to assume the questioner would just as soon have one as the other, in other words no strong preference either way.

In that case the Chev is the winner. All parts are available, even chrome, upholstery etc that are hard to find for other cars, are cheap off the shelf reproductions from several vintage Chev dealers.

If you want to improve the engine, driveline, brakes, radio, add air conditioning etc there are bolt on kits.

The Chev is way easier and cheaper in every way. And, if you are the social type, there are clubs for Chev owners and special meetings and annual get togethers.

As far as the quality of the Caddy, that is true. But with all the aftermarket accessories available you could build a Chevy to equal the Caddy in ride, quiet, performance, comfort and convenience accessories etc.

The only reason not to chose the Chev is if you don't like to be part of a herd. Personally I would not chose the Chev, in fact my garage holds a Porsche 911, a 1951 DeSoto and a 1966 VW beetle but that is just me.

The facts support the Chev as the logical choice. If your brain and heart agree, buy the Chev.

By the way the difference in gas mileage between a mid fifties Chev V8 and a mid fifties Cadillac is negligible. Odd but true, for years Chevs got worse mileage than average and Cadillacs were much better than average. The result was, both got about the same mileage despite the Cadillac's larger engine, and greater weight.

If we are talking about a Chev 6, the Cadillac definitely got better mileage. The Chev 6 got slightly worse mileage than the Chev V8.

The Chev also wins from an investment standpoint. Yes the Caddy is worth more in top shape, but the Chev is way cheaper to restore. The result is, if the car needs much work, it might be possible to break even on the Chev but the Cad would leave you way in the hole.

If the Bel Air is a 4 door hardtop all the better.

By the way this brings up another point. If you like the Chev, there are many many cars to chose from. You can look around, for a while, and be reasonably sure you will find just the car you want at a reasonable price. Cadillacs or other makes are not so easy to get.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest Oldie & Goodie
From the way the question was put I have to assume the questioner would just as soon have one as the other, in other words no strong preference either way.

In that case the Chev is the winner. All parts are available, even chrome, upholstery etc that are hard to find for other cars, are cheap off the shelf reproductions from several vintage Chev dealers.

If you want to improve the engine, driveline, brakes, radio, add air conditioning etc there are bolt on kits.

The Chev is way easier and cheaper in every way. And, if you are the social type, there are clubs for Chev owners and special meetings and annual get togethers.

As far as the quality of the Caddy, that is true. But with all the aftermarket accessories available you could build a Chevy to equal the Caddy in ride, quiet, performance, comfort and convenience accessories etc.

The only reason not to chose the Chev is if you don't like to be part of a herd. Personally I would not chose the Chev, in fact my garage holds a Porsche 911, a 1951 DeSoto and a 1966 VW beetle but that is just me.

The facts support the Chev as the logical choice. If your brain and heart agree, buy the Chev.

This is what I was getting at in my question. If the Chevy could be repaired/restored with 5-10K and become a nice looking driver what would the quality of the Caddy look like with the same 5-10K in costs. Sounds like miles apart.

But on the other hand do I want to be part of "the herd"? As much as the mid-fifty chevy's look nice, your right there are tons of them. Guess that's why our first venture into the classics was a 51' Buick Roadmaster. I personally haven't seen another in over a year of cruise-ins and shows.

I bet you could find a nice original Cadillac for less than most Tri-5's in just running condition. I've seen listings in my area for Tri-5's and they are outrageous for junk. The prices for Cadillacs still seem reasonable...for now.

The early 50's Cadillacs had less chrome but had lots of stainless which won't bankrupt you at the chrome shop.

I loved touring in our '56 and '58 Bel-airs, BUT

it did not compare with touring in our '54 Caddy --

the comfort ----

the convenience ---

the standard equipment, like power steering, brakes, seat, windows, top, wonderbar radio ---

and breaking away from the herd ---

Touring in any car beats the heck out of staying on the sidelines ---

Touring in a Cadillac Convertible is extra special -- I know from personal experience,

and you can sometimes find the Caddy at better prices than the Chevy

post-54863-14313863551_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138635517_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138635525_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138635527_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138635529_thumb.jpg

I think it depends on which year we are talking about. If we were talking about 1955 there are two GM divisions that have better looking cars your not even looking at and the same with 1956, but 1957 Cadillac Coupe deVille or conv. is the best looking GM product of 1957. A 57 Chevy with a 283 and power glide gets about the same mileage as a Cadillac with a 365" V-8 and four speed hydro on the hwy and the Cad might get even a little better. If I was going after a 57 Cadillac I would be looking for something already done or nearly done. There are some great buys out there in this poor climate---take your time and you will find one. Check the first day at Barrett-Jackson and see how many really nice cars go over for much less than the owner paid to have the work done. There are desperate times ahead, be prepared to make a deal.;)

D.

Guest Skyking

My son restored this Caddy for a customer and the price was well over 100K and that didn't include the chrome that was done 11 years ago. As you can see, much prettier than any Chevy.

2111556000059801719S600x600Q85.jpg

2492145840059801719S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

In recent years I had a restored 57 Chevy 4 door sedan. Probably a number 2. I had an original 48 Cadillac Sedanette with original paint and an all original 50 Cadillac sedan with original paint. The chevy while nice didn't hold a candle to the 2 cadillacs and they were 7 years older and not restored. The chevy will always be cheaper. If you are thinking of buying one that needs work, skip it and buy it done. I sold mine which had all new chrome nice paint, interior and even a well detailed and sorted drivetrain 3 years ago for 12500. I sold the unrestored 48 sedanette for the same money and the 50 which needed interior work and a little spot touch up paint work but had beautiful glassy black laquer and exceptional chrome for 6000. I had just put all new exhaust on that and a had a rechromed front bumper because the old lady had a little trouble with the garage door.

I had the 57 for sale for 3 months and never even got a phone call for it. The cadillacs I advertised and had a few calls. Both of them the first caller to show up bought them on the spot.

I would suggest buying the 55 Chevy already restored and let someone else take the bath. IF you buy the cadillac find a super nice original that just needs a little mechanical rehab from storage. They are out there. They were expensive cars new and were usually cared for better than most cheaper cars. Especially when you are talking sedans. They were owned by rich people and often chauffer driven and cared for. The Chrome quality from the factory on a Caddy is far superior to a Chevy. It was heavily plated and tends to last as long as you avoid the Korean war cars.

post-43003-143138635592_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138635594_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138635597_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138635602_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138635605_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad

Its really up to you & what you intend to do with the vehicle.

Both would be great projects, cruisers, or show cars.

Like everyone has already said, you can spend lot more & stand out in a Caddy or the less expensive route with the Chevy. Plus, the Chevy is far easier to find parts for.

I personally have been leaning toward the cars that stand out more. These less common vehicles are a little harder to find parts for but, when you go to a car show you don't have 10 other folks with the same car.