Texas Road Warriors: Boston but not for the tea...

old-tank

Use the forum search feature to find some of our previous adventures. Although it is nearly 2 weeks before we will leaving and driving the 55 in the avatar, a scout and his family has been sent ahead.

Mike (buick5563) sent this pic from Texarkana. Mike and his son Woody with "Coppertop" the the Tex Ark Antique Museum.

Willie

post-30648-143138572766_thumb.jpg

My trip is going to be totally uneventful. I'm in the family Honda. The seats aren't nearly as plush as my 55's but the AC is good.

Yeah, we stopped in at the Tex Ark museum to check it out. We left this morning from Austin and just arrived near Nashville.

Arkansas isn't adding corn / food / alcohol ethanol BS in their gas. That's good. I want to see the mileage difference in a modern car.

We are heading to Colonial Williamsburg and that area for a week, then DC to help my folks get ready to sell my childhood house. I've already got tickets to see the Orioles play at Camden Yards AND in Fenway. After watching fireworks on the DC mall, we will head to Danvers. Ahhhh baseball, fireworks, Nations Capitol and old cars...how much more patriotic could I get? No drama or complaining about the heat this year for me!

See y'all.

What's the planned route and schedule?

Planned route and schedule? You got to be kidding. I thought that everybody knows that "I take off like I know what I'm doing, with no place to go and no hurry to get there".

Anyhow it will depend on the weather: heat and storms predictions. We will leave central TX July 2 and head east on I-10 to New Orleans area 1st nite and somewhere in GA 2nd nite, DC area 3rd nite, etc, depending on touristy stuff and driving no more than 400-600 miles/day. Alternately first nite in AR, 2nd nite in KY, 3rd nite in PA, etc. I prefer the southern route, since other Nationals have taken us many times on the northern route and I definitely, don't want to get stuck in Mayfield, KY again (no internet, cell service, or cold beer).

Willie

Planned route and schedule? You got to be kidding. I thought that everybody knows that "I take off like I know what I'm doing, with no place to go and no hurry to get there".

Anyhow it will depend on the weather: heat and storms predictions. We will leave central TX July 2 and head east on I-10 to New Orleans area 1st nite and somewhere in GA 2nd nite, DC area 3rd nite, etc, depending on touristy stuff and driving no more than 400-600 miles/day. Alternately first nite in AR, 2nd nite in KY, 3rd nite in PA, etc. I prefer the southern route, since other Nationals have taken us many times on the northern route and I definitely, don't want to get stuck in Mayfield, KY again (no internet, cell service, or cold beer).

Willie

Sounds like one option you're headed through Charlotte on the 4th but going up 85 to DC. We are leaving Charlotte the morning of the 4th headed up 77 to 81 to stay at my brother's place near Hershey. Then we may stop in NJ on the 5th briefly and then get to Boston that night. We driving the '08 Enclave. Hope to see some Buicks out on the road!

Only made about 380 miles to Rayne, LA ---- the frog capital of the world (still haven't seen a frog). Very heavy traffic on I-10 with accidents and traffic jams. No issues with the car; 15.8 mpg. Tomorrow try for Birmingham. AL (no Georgia this time).

Willie

I've had a ball the last few days being a tourist in the town I grew up in. Went to the top of the Washington Monument and the Air and Space Museum. The weather has been

spectacular with most days in the mid eighties. Feels like spring in Texas!

After the Fourth of July fireworks, we will head up to Danvers.

Nearly 500 miles to Birmingham AL, 16.3 &14.8 mpg. Tomorrow Roanoke VA area.

Now for those waiting for me to 'crash and burn' here's a little teaser: After lunch at Wendy's I noticed antifreeze dripping from the right front rocker area (oh shucky-darn-fiddlesticks I mumbled under my breath) then Mary Ann said that the carpet is wet (phooey--again under my breath)...seems that the heater or ranco valve is leaking, so 32.6 minutes later after plugging lines we are off. Then another hour at the destination flushing and sopping NEW carpet NEW padding and NEW thermal insulation. All in 95* heat-----are we having fun yet?

At least the a/c is working great and the vapor lock is manageable.

Willie

436 miles to Wytheville VA....14.5 & 15.8 mpg. All driving so far has been in 95-100 degree heat running a/c and now hills for the last 500 miles with gps showing moving average of 63 mph. Nothing broken, still drying wet carpet...all gas 10% alky.

Willie

440 miles to Allentown, PA, 15.8 mpg. Use a/c 1/2 of the time. I thought this was going to be a light traffic day --- wrong! Seemed like every truck in the country was on the road, passing each other in slow motion on the hill. Maybe because the weigh stations were closed or there were emergency toilet paper deliveries.

All went well until we were returning from dinner when in the hotel parking lot this little smart car (dumb car?) shot out and CRASH! T-boned that sucker. Right away this very small man jumped out and shouted "I am not Happy!" I looked at him and said "Then which one are you: Dopey or Grumpy?"

350 more miles and we are ready for the leprechauns in Boston!

Willie

440 miles to Allentown, PA, 15.8 mpg. Use a/c 1/2 of the time. I thought this was going to be a light traffic day --- wrong! Seemed like every truck in the country was on the road, passing each other in slow motion on the hill. Maybe because the weigh stations were closed or there were emergency toilet paper deliveries.

All went well until we were returning from dinner when in the hotel parking lot this little smart car (dumb car?) shot out and CRASH! T-boned that sucker. Right away this very small man jumped out and shouted "I am not Happy!" I looked at him and said "Then which one are you: Dopey or Grumpy?"

Willie

I hope you got pictures of that CRASH!! At least it wasn't you!

All went well until ... this very small man jumped out and shouted "I am not Happy!" I looked at him and said "Then which one are you: Dopey or Grumpy?"

Willie

lmao Willie... Was Dopey's car totaled?

.....this very small man jumped out and shouted "I am not Happy!" I looked at him and said "Then which one are you: Dopey or Grumpy?"

Willie

Yeah, old joke...I have lots more, but they just get worse.

Anyhow Danvers! finally. 2053 miles total. Last 2 fills 16.1& 16.3 mpg ---- less a/c.

Comfort Inn North Shore in case anyone needs to buy a beer after my nap.

Willie

Party's over...both the BCA show and the cool vacation. We left Rockport, ME and ended up in Scranton, PA ~500 miles and still ~ 15mpg. Today only 430 miles due to the electrical system that decided to stop charging 10 miles after we left the hotel. Pulled into a rest area and changed the voltage regulator --- no joy --- and was about to change the generator when it started raining. So we drove 250 miles in the rain before I could change it. Just as I got my tools out it started to rain, but this time I had to proceed since the car would not start. (Remember you need a fully functioning charging system to start a Buick) Anyhow that did the trick, but lost 60 miles of driving.

A look at the defective generator showed that the brushes were completely worn after less than 10K on a total rebuild. I guess the currently produced brushes are not as good as the originals since I used to drive tens of thousands of miles without ever wearing out a set...usually the generator failed for some other reason.

Are we having fun yet?

Willie

The question should be "What doesn't he carry?"

We are headed to Logan today. I DON'T want to leave the 60 degree weather.

Bill, if you set your house a/c correctly, it might get that cool . . . provided, of course, that you have the correct electricity provider (with the lower rates they advertise).

Hope y'all have a good trip back!

Willis

Well nice you know to carry your own parts....glad to see your home safe!

I would like to see what inventory you carry on these trips...?

Not home yet. Today was 540 miles from Salem VA to Birmingham AL. With 840 to go it is one more night on the road...probably in Louisiana. No issues other than feed the beast.

The question should be "What doesn't he carry?"

Ok, the only time I could not fix it within a few hours was the time I broke an axle...and I still don't carry axles!

Bob, remind me later to come up with a list...maybe when you are ready to hit the road.

Willie

Got home 2 days ago. 4664 miles @ 15.6 mpg. Observations:

gas went up 20 cents a gallon on the return trip

roads around Scranton, PA were so rough that the rear shocks were becoming less effective

I-10 was closed (6 lanes) in Houston making a 60 mile detour necessary

fuel is terrible---lots of pinging, hesitation, vapor lock, carburetor boiling

Things to fix:

service---done

wash---tomorrow

heater core

generator---done ( put in some used brushes )

passenger side door latch (something came loose and it cannot be opened from the outside)

rear wheel bearing (I had been feeling some intermittent drivetrain roughness for most of the trip...now it is constant and there is a clicking at the left rear wheel)

...everything else will wait for cooler weather

Willie

Guest wildcat465

Glad to see you made it home in one piece Willie.

Hope to see you next year.

Don't look for heat relief here, 80 degree dew point on top of 100 temp right now. :mad:

I hope you do make it Paul, first one's on me!

I got back two days ago also. Uneventful (as expected). Left DC for the return trip and stopped in to see Progoofoff's stable of fine automobiles. Was thinking about stopping by Buick Gardens, but my 7 yr. old navigator felt he had enough talking cars. Stopped just past Atlanta. The next morning Woody begged to get home that night. We started early and hit torrential rain in Louisiana. Had to stop for a motorcycle wreck that had traffic closing I-10. Made it past Houston (avoiding the mess Willie spoke about). Got back at 11:15 after a sixteen hour day of driving. No complaints from the back seat, so I believe we may have another generation of TRW's.

See y'all next year