Texas Road Warriors: Boston but not for the tea...

old-tank

XM...GPS in and of itself knows nothing of traffic. Actually, it is just a triangulation system using signals from satellites, so it doesn't even know where roads are...companies like Garmin, Magellan, and TomTom have put digitized maps to the positions in an attempt to get you pointed in the right direction.

It wouldn't surprise me if some units had the ability to track construction, then have that information uploaded when they are updated on a computer. Without paying any money, TomTom has map corrections that upload to mine whenever I synchronize it.

I learned that some GPS systems have different voices, with different personalities. One of our TVCC board members used his GPS to get to the meeting we had in Dallas on Sunday afternoon. He said that he has "Richard" as his voice choice. He said there were several females but they didn't seem to be as easy-going as Richard when he missed a turn.

There are a few XM Traffic channels which replay information from one of the traffic advisory services, which can also be found online.

Personally, I'd rather look at a map beforehand, even online, before I head out somewhere. I've found too many maps, over the years, which have things deliberately wrong on them . . . so the company that did the maps can tell if they've been bootlegged by other companies. I've also been on a few "wild goose chases" courtesy of an address being input into Yahoo! Maps to generate driving instructions. But I'd still rather have a fold-out paper map, for good measure!

Derek, next time you go to a new car show, check out the maps on the higher-end Japanese vehicles with the Navigation function active. Some look like the latest Google Earth where you can seem to be skimming a hundred feet above ground level in an airplane that can stop, hover, or "go".

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Hi all. Just want to say I'm very happy that everyone got home safe and sound and with their Buicks. I hope everybody had a real good time I sure did. It was nice seeing you all again looking forward to Charlotte already.

Frank

have a great Buick day

Bill - I was being a bit facetious...new car shows occur in places like Shanghai, Detroit, London, Germany (I want to say Hamburg, but not sure), etc...in other words cities with population and / or auto manufacturing base. I am nowhere near any of that....