Participation

Guest Lincolnman65

Guest Lincolnman65

Yesterday our region had a very nice chicken bar b que run. We had a good turn out of people, however we had a poor turn out of antique cars. How do you encourage people to participate with their antique cars? Most of our members now have antique cars from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, but yet they still won't drive them. I can understand not wanting to drive a Model T, but an '84 Chevy would pretty much be like driving a modern car.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get them to participate?

Offer something free to the drivers who bring an antique car to the event. After all...it IS an antique car club region, right? We have the same trouble even with our little State Of Jefferson Antique Car Club of which I am the current president. The newbies in the club usually bring their antique cars to the events we have...the old tired guys seem to want to use their air conditioning and power steering and GPS. Also with our group, it seems to be all about the food...not the cars. Sad, but true here and here I am bumming out because I CANNOT take my antique car on the tours. Hopefully, I will have the transmission back in soon, the brakes bled and on the road!

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

We have tried that, all they do is complain about it being a cheap gift.

Why are they in an antique car club? Surely, there are cheaper hobbies that are just as social. To me, it's ALL about the cars. The only other thing I can suggest is to bring it up at the next meeting (in a diplomatic way, of course).

Lincoln,

I'm dealing with this same issue with not only our Northern Neck Region, but the entire Southeast Division, as VP of Support and Development.

I have been speaking to different Region/ Chapter presidents in the Southeast Division and asking them to invite other Regions and Chapters to share in the fun with their activities. You may have to start by going to other region/chapter events, but it's a start. You get to meet new people, see different areas of your state too. Don't forget to advertise the trips in your newsletters with plenty of pictures and smiling faces.

As an example of what we have done, we just had our annual meet and had very few "out of the area" AACA members show up, but, despite this our region recently drove 70 miles to another club's car show. We were noticed and someone has to take the first step.

You have to start somewhere, and with you just asking these questions, it shows that you will do what it takes.

Wayne

In our experience many folks do not like to be away from their vehicles.

People today will do stupid, destructive things to things like vehicles that do not belong to them. Bill and I no longer take antique vehicles places where we can't be with them to protect them from stupid people.

In our experience many folks do not like to be away from their vehicles.

People today will do stupid, destructive things to things like vehicles that do not belong to them. Bill and I no longer take antique vehicles places where we can't be with them to protect them from stupid people.

We always have a person near our cars to watch over them if we are not close by. Too many things go missing if you don't. We rotate at the events so we all get a chance to eat or whatever.

Lincolnman65,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion forum. Where are you located? Depending on the weather in your area it might make a difference in the advice that I would give.... but in general consider touring.

I suggest that you consider planning a local tour. Plan a route focusing on secondary roads with interesting local venues to tour. Local historic sites can usually be found in most areas. Include an ice cream stop or something similar. Driving in a group of antique cars is a lot of fun. If someone wants to bring a modern car, it is OK, but peer pressure will ensure that most bring an old car.

We always have a person near our cars to watch over them if we are not close by. Too many things go missing if you don't. We rotate at the events so we all get a chance to eat or whatever.

exactly why i didnt go the 500-600 cars montly cruise tonight. if i feel i need to guard my car i dont go.

I don't understand the comment about not wanting to drive the Model T. I usually drive the Model T; the one-lung Cadillac's too slow, the two-lung Buick throws too much oil around, and the Stanley takes too long to fire up!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Maybe part of the reason turn out is low too is everyone is really busy. Alot of us have to work twice as much to earn what we used to. It just leaves no time to do much with your car. Wether it's work on it or tour with it. I think alot of people tend to think their cars might be unreliable to and don't want a break down. I find once you start driving one of the old cars a couple times a week you really get in tune with it then don't hesitate to jump in it and go anywheres. Again boils back down to the time factor though. If you don't have time to drive it on a regular basis you just skip the event entirely. I'm guilty of this.

Guest Klayfish

In '02 my wife and I bought an FFR Shelby Cobra 427 replica. We looked around and didn't see many organized activities that local owners had. So we decided to try to start one of our own. I got a couple of other local owners to join in with me, and we started the local "club" and yearly show. We talked about it on the internet, spread it by word of mouth, etc... We pitched it as a much more relaxed, laid back event instead of a car show. It was about fun, food and cars. Heck, for the very first event, my wife and I handled the food ourselves (I bbq'd and we brought chips, soda, cake, made cookies, etc...). Then we realized that was too overwhelming and hired people for subsequent events. We had a raffle for some simple prizes. Our turnout was around 45 cars and 100 people. Not too shabby for a car that you don't see around too much. People came out of the woodwork. Most were 427S/C replicas, but we had a few Shelby Mustangs, GT40s and such show up.

My wife and I sold the car in 2006, still ran the event through 2009, and it continues on today. There were always people who asked us to change it to another weekend because they had a conflict. Some didn't like one aspect of what we did, others didn't like another. But overall most were pleased.

My point to all this is maybe try to make it a relaxed and fun environment and spread the word about it. Also understand that you can't please everyone all the time. Some people won't show up no matter what you do. Or they'll show up and complain. But do your best and enjoy those that do come.

We postponed our annual Spring show Sunday due to weather issues, was that a factor, Lincolnman? While I do not own a priceless Full Classic, it is a nicely restored car that takes a long time to clean and prep - got it all ready for Memorial Day parade, rained out, was going to take it to our show anyway Sunday - rained out. I think weather is an issue despite the fact that there are some who will go rain or shine. I have been on tours in sleet and snow before and for me it is kind of been there done that - don't mind getting caught in rain but if the day is going to be a total wash out, I prefer to keep the car home.

That said, I agree with Susan and others in that I won't just leave it anywhere either, as it is amazing what people will do, I have witnessed it as I am sure most here have as well -

Could also just be a case of building excitement up about the event -

BTW, welcome to the forum!

This may not be applicable to all parts of the country, but from my experience in the region that we USED to have, I discovered the neither CVS or WALGREENS sold give a $hit pills. The last show that we held we tried a new concept, no judging and no trophies. Instead we gave out almost $1,500 worth of door prizes, plus a $15 goodie bag. No one left the show with less money in their hands than what they came with. Even with that we had some of OUR own club members attend another show 70 miles away instead of supporting their club, in one case they went to the other show because, as he put it "I ain't goin to a show where I ain't judged". English translation a trophy monger. In my opinion I think local car shows are going downhill. With a $20 or more, plus gas, plus food your looking at a $50 cost, to get a $12 trophy. only to watch brand spanking new cars take best of show, or the really gut wrencher, all of the local club officers take home the awards whether their car warrants it or not. Like I said not in all cases but I have seen it happen.

It's not just the car hobby. Other clubs and organizations I belong to are all having a time getting anybody to do anything. Forget volunteering for a position as an officer, they just don't want to show up. I think your right that people today are just stretched too thin in their activities and many are just staying close to home. The economy, gas, etc has people holding onto some of their money. From what I see the shows or cruise in that does not have judging seems to get a better turnout.

Years ago at our local show we voted not to judge members cars.Our reasoning was more participation from other clubs,and if your car was to win at our show then it would win at another show.We caught some flak from some of the members,but eventually it worked out.

Guest Dick Whittington
It's not just the car hobby. Other clubs and organizations I belong to are all having a time getting anybody to do anything. Forget volunteering for a position as an officer, they just don't want to show up. I think your right that people today are just stretched too thin in their activities and many are just staying close to home. The economy, gas, etc has people holding onto some of their money. From what I see the shows or cruise in that does not have judging seems to get a better turnout.

I belong to several other national automotive related organizations. Served on the Board of one for over 10 years, and every BOD meeting, Chapter meeting, the same problems were discussed. Way too much competition for peoples time today

Interesting comments about people not wanting to leave their cars unattended. Our local region along with two other car clubs has a major event that used to draw around 400 cars. Even though it is a non-judged event, the organizers refuse to have any groupings of cars which means that it is basically a cruise night type of show. As a result, you don't have friends nearby with similar cars who can help watch things. I find that shows of this type are frustrating in that it takes me close to a day to get a car ready to show and then end up babysitting it all day and not have a chance to see any of the other cars.

Have others had this experience and if so, how did you handle it?

We shy away from cruise nights or shows that have that type of format.

What I have found here is the good shows draw cars; BUT what is a "good show" depends on your perspective. We have one coming up this weekend (not an AACA event) that is known for prewar cars - great brass, Classics and others; that cuts off I think at 1972. This is how they want to organize, I think the '72 cut off is due to space. IMO it is a GREAT show, but cut off eliminates the AACA recognized antique from '72 to '86 unfortunately. I can see where the '80 Corvette guy may not want to go. For a small state CT has dozens of shows and cruise type events each year, could just be people have a lot of choices which is probably a good indicator interest is still as strong as ever.

Steve, many years ago, my wife and I drove to a local show about 75 miles away to find that our car was too new. We had to park our classic in the parking lot with the other daily drivers, but we hung around and noticed how everyone was having so much fun. There were games for the kids and the pool to the hotel was nearby, so the whole family had fun, ending up the weekend with a Saturday party.

We were so impressed, we immediately started looked for a correct year car to join in on the fun. We have never looked back. When you encounter an interesting venue, you do whatever it takes to attend.

Guest Jim_Edwards

There are a number of potential contributing factors to club members not participating. I suspect there may be two or three contributing factors aside from weather issues. However, I believe the biggest one may be possibly driving a fair distance to be totally unimpressed with seeing the same cars in the same condition and hearing the same old tales again for the 43rd time while choking down a meal your dog might question. Add to that competition from all the car shows that are held everywhere by cities and various organizations not necessarily affiliated with any form of car club. Frankly I personally enjoy the latter more than I would any monthly club event, even if there were any clubs less than almost 100 miles away as is my case since retiring. It's kind of hard to get excited about making a 200 mile or longer round trip for two or three hours of activities.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lincolnman65

Thinking back over the past few years it seems that when we have our monthly summer runs that include an activity of some sort, like a driving tour or going to a museum, we get a lower turn out. When the run consists of going someplace and just eating we get a higher turnout. Sometimes I get the feeling that our membership only attends the runs because they feel obligated to, or they feel like they are forced to attend. It’s frustrating to put together a run and then see people leaving while taking their last bite of desert. The sad thing is those that attend just for the sake of attending and really don’t want to be there seem to bring down the attitude of the entire group. Personally I’d rather have 50 people that truly want to be there instead of 100 people that feel that must be there. It also seems that the ones that truly want to participate and have fun are also the ones that will drive their antique car. Unless the day is a wash out then it is understandable why the old cars don’t come out.

Guest Lincolnman65

My comment about not wanting to drive a Model T was because of it's age and not being able to keep up with traffic. If you're driving a Model T I have a lot of respect for you. I think that is just great that you keep it out on the road. Around here in PA. it's hard to drive that old of a car anymore. Most roads are to crowded with aggressive drivers and its hard to find all back roads to take you places. Although I guess they are there if you look hard enough.

( I'd love a ride in the Stanley Steamer!)

In our region weather has a lot to do with it and distance. My region is centered about 70 miles from my house. With the tour it is a 200 mile day too far for old stuff I can do it in the Model A but it makes a long day. I usually drive something newer 55 Thunderbird or lately not on a classic but the Viper. Last event was a bust due to bad morning storm, but the 3 before that we had 90% old cars. Make sure you plan time on your events for car problems, we usually have one car that doesn't cooperate, Old cars, new gas we have a lot of vapor lock. If you take your old car and it has problems and you feel your holding everybody up or they leave you, you will think twice about driving it next time.

Last week was the biennial HCCA New England Brass and Gas Tour. We had over 100 pre-'16 cars in Williamstown, MA for the week. And not just locals. A 1911 White and a Stanley Mountain Wagon came from Florida, and a Regal Underslung from California. Monday and Tuesday were glorious, and almost everyone toured a couple hundred miles in the two days. Wednesday and Thursday were rainy, which cut down the antique turnout; quite a few people went modern, but a lot drove the old iron. I drove up Mt. Greylock, 3400 feet high, in a '13 T in fog. Friday was predicted to be rainy but turned out to be quite decent, and most of the antiques came back out. You could tell who had toured on the rainy days - their brass was brown! Total mileage for the week was close to 400, including about 20 miles of dirt road. The cars are now filthy. Hog heaven!

By the way, the annual HCCA Brass in Berks County tour was held in May, mostly in the rain. About 330 miles in 4 days. In three weeks I'll be chairing the HCCA 1&2 cylinder tour in Princeton, NJ - about 200 miles in a week. We'll have 15 cars including a 7 hp Brush, a rear-entrance Yale (a gutsy thing to be seen with in Princeton!) and a couple of one-lung Cadillacs, including mine.

What the hell are you all afraid of?

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

I know the feeling. Me and my 1916 Peerless are both too old for the Antique? car clubs of today. When I started touring in the 50's my Peerless was one of the newer cars on the tour and today they give us a funny look when we show up for a tour with a 1916 car. Times have changed. But I have solved my problem, I started my own club, there are two members, my wife and I. I get the car ready and my wife packs the picnic, we take another couple with us and tour the back roads at our own pace. No dues, no news letter, no griping members to contend with, little planning, Just fun with a couple of good friends. And NO new members!!!!!!

I know the feeling. Me and my 1916 Peerless are both too old for the Antique? car clubs of today. When I started touring in the 50's my Peerless was one of the newer cars on the tour and today they give us a funny look when we show up for a tour with a 1916 car. Times have changed. But I have solved my problem, I started my own club, there are two members, my wife and I. I get the car ready and my wife packs the picnic, we take another couple with us and tour the back roads at our own pace. No dues, no news letter, no griping members to contend with, little planning, Just fun with a couple of good friends. And NO new members!!!!!!

NOW THAT IS NOT A HALF BAD IDEA.......................

We do the same thing but don't limit the membership size. We meet every Tuesday night, whoever shows up is in attendance, we go for 45-60 minute tour through the country, usually with the oldest car in front setting the pace. We then stop for ice cream and head home. All the other No's you have listed fit, we have no restriction on year or make and get everything from the teens to current and the occasional street rod and dune buggy.

Guest R-ajax peterson

Shows and meets in the 60's,70's usually had a field of PARTS on tables and grass. Oooodles of all kinds of great stuff. Would'nt miss a show for fear I might miss that elusive part .

Today.........ShamWow towels. AHH for the good ole days.