What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

Yesterday was an unusual day in Florida, 78 degrees and cloudy with threats of rain and gusty winds, but a good day for a drive.

We took our 34 Ford an led 20 other old cars on an 18 miles historic tour of old St.Petersburg. We drove a dozen brick streets built in the 1920's. We followed 71 instructions with historical notes through the old sections of town and along the many miles of waterfront. We saw the old Studebaker Dealership from 1925, we saw homes, hotels, 5 & 10 cents stores, the birthplace of commericial avaition in 1914, the birthplace of American Airlines in 1934, WWII pilot traiing facility, drove on the St. Petersburg Grand Prix Race Course, saw the other cars coming and going and enjoyed our antique cars. When we were done, we all went to HOOTER'S and took a quiz on what we learned, had wings and beer.

Another great day in the antique car hobby.

post-32318-143138846622_thumb.jpg

post-32318-143138846625_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

Drove it home today, it was wintering in my parents country garage - the property was for sale, and low and behold it sold - SO, I got to enjoy driving it in the dead of winter, thankfully, it just isn't acting like the dead of winter.

post-30591-143138849116_thumb.jpg

Guest 4 bufords

drove my 62 invicta to dunkin donuts this afternoon after fooling around with my 57 super.brought up number 1 piston to tdc so i could install the distributor.hope to start it this weekend,4 bufords from ct

Guest Nancy DeWitt

We said "to heck with winter" and took the '32 Cadillac out for some exercise. Sadly, I couldn't talk the driver into spinning any brodies in the parking lot.

post-58418-143138853327_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim_Edwards

Drove one of mine to the parts house to get a nice fresh locking gas cap and on to a gas station for a fill up before it becomes necessary to take out a bank loan before going to the gas pump.:(

Skim coating of slush on the ground here in Southern Connecticut this morning. Stuck to the tree branchess a bit, though, making for some nice scenery (though still a bit overcast and drizzly out right now).

And, rats, the oil delivery man already put some nasty tire tracks in my driveway this morning, so will have to see where else I can drive/park my '70 Bug for a "snow photo-op" before it all melts away...

EDIT: I was going to add that "I guessed I liked having heat in my house, so I guessed I would forgive him for the tire tracks"...but then I looked at the receipt he left in my mailbox for the oil he just delivered this morning...OUCH.

I hope we can elect some people soon who will work to help lower the price of oil, rather than the opposite...

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Brought home part of a classic today......1931 Chrysler CD8 roadster rear body half......

Wow! And is that a *Subaru Baja* as your tow vehicle?! I owned a couple of Subies many years ago (back in the '80s), and am starting to get an itch to get into another one...

Here is my old '80 "GL1600" wagon (2wd) flat-towing our '54 Bug in its "pre-restoration" state...

80SubaruFlatTow54VWIn84B.jpg

80SubaruFlatTow54VWIn84A.jpg

And here's the '82 "GLF" 2-door (also 2wd) that my wife bought new, and then got handed down to me (when she got her brand-new '90 VW Corrado-I think you can see a slight bit of it in the background of one of the shots)...

82SubyLftSd.jpg

82SubyRtSd.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Finally......finally........finally got all the door weatherstrip and window runs and 'cat whiskers' on, and the regulators and windows back in my '54 Studebaker 4-door! Whew, working a couple of hours a week max on a project sure makes it take a LOOOOOONG time :) At least those rattles will be gone..........

Unfortunately there are no repro vent window weatherstrips made for these particular Studebakers, so I had to use the old ones. Now, if anyone has any NOS ones (Stude p/n's 298786 right side and 298787 left side....I really really need the right side at least) let me know.

Next is to install the new windlace, put the door panels back on, put the carpet and kick panels in, etc. The headliner will have to wait until warmer weather, but I do have the new tack strip in for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolute killer-beautiful afternoon out there right now (Saturday 3/3/2012) here in Southern Connecticut. After a mostly foggy morning and early afternoon, the sun finally came out, and I have to believe we are at or at least near 60 degrees--awesome. Going to see if I can get my '70 Bug out there for at least a little quick ride on this magnificent afternoon...

Guest fossiltin62

I finished overhauling and recharging the mag in my '13 Overland, Then worked on the Graham the rest of the day. I'm getting a lot done, wife is at mothers for a few days.

Guest pitt64

I took mine for a nice ride today... Funny, I think I'm going to swap the glass packs for mufflers and put a milder cam in it, must be my age catching up with me.....

Guest pitt64
Drove it home today, it was wintering in my parents country garage - the property was for sale, and low and behold it sold - SO, I got to enjoy driving it in the dead of winter, thankfully, it just isn't acting like the dead of winter.

Wexford Starlight soon!!! :)

I pulled the leaking gas tank from my Model T and started wiring electric turn signals for safety. Still need to find a 6 volt flasher and a couple of double post bulb sockets for the rear, then the oil lamps can be reinstalled complete with 4 way flashers!

Plus, I ordered the replacement gas tank. Ugh. $150

Hope to take a few long drives this summer! I've only put about 50 miles on it since I bought it 3 or 4 years ago.

Here's a picture from yesterday afternoon's (3/3/2012) brief pleasure drive with the '70 Bug--top down and not even any gloves needed (okay, I admit that a hat & a windbreaker over my longsleeve sweatshirt would've been nice...).

Photo location is the Guilford Town Green, in Guilford, CT. I am parked on Park Street, which borders the east side of the green, and the view is looking west, with St. George's catholic church (on Whitfield Street, which borders the west side of the Green) and the Guilford Civil War "Soldier's Monument" (in the middle of the Green) visible in the background, along with a bit of the setting sun. This shot was probably from around 5pm or so...

70VW3Mar12GlfdGrnG1k.JPG

I finally got my '41 McLaughlin Buick Roadmaster coupe down on its' wheels and out of the garage for the first time in 7-8 years.

The car is not complete or finished by any means, but it was really neat to actually drive it out of garage under its' own power again!

I've posted a couple of pictures.

Keith

post-77136-143138877351_thumb.jpg

post-77136-143138877356_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot of me and the engine, just after I got it re-assembled. There some degree of uncertainty about what colour Canadian produced engines were painted. It would seem that it wasn't Dante Red, like the US cars were.

From personal observation, it would seem that they were either done in grey or black, so I chose to use 1940 Buick grey, since all Canadian records from this era have been lost!

Keith

Worked on my friend's DeSoto yesterday and today trying to get the starter to work for the hemi engine. It keeps breaking things. The first part to go was the cone-shaped nose cone....snapped right off. Some moron elongated the mounting holes and altered the cone and created a weak spot. We got a "new" cone and installed it. Got the beast fired up and the gas ran out. Tried to start it again and the starter shaft broke. Tried to refit a starter shaft, but found that the "new" shaft was larger. End of workday for the DeSoto.

I finally got my '41 McLaughlin Buick Roadmaster coupe down on its' wheels and out of the garage for the first time in 7-8 years.

The car is not complete or finished by any means, but it was really neat to actually drive it out of garage under its' own power again!

I've posted a couple of pictures.

Keith

Bet that was exciting!! I know it was for me when I did mine. Looking good, Keith.

Ben

Thanks, Ben. I was like a little kid at Christmas.

We live in a very quite area, so I couldn't resist taking the car out onto the street after dark for a very short run a few houses down and back. It ran very well.

This weekend I hope to get the front clip back on it.

Keith

Please allow me to congratulate you also, Keith! Very cool!

I got my '70 Bug out for a bit of chilly morning cruising (to get to the post office before noon), and enjoyed myself immensely.

Mercifully, I am not posting any accompanying pictures this time.

Have a great rest of your weekend, Keith, and all,

Steve from Stony Creek, CT

My 59 Thunderbird just got home from the Transmission Shop where it was getting some needed repairs.

This morning I took it to our weekly gathering of the Pismo Donut Derelicts, here in Pismo Beach, CA. Sun is shining, weather if nice and warm.

The Pismo Derelicts are a group of car enthusiast that gather every Saturday morning at a local Strip Mall, by a donut shop. No club, no rules, just a bunch of guys and gals and their cars, talking shop. This morning we had about 120-150 cars.

post-36483-143138878083_thumb.jpg

post-36483-143138878084_thumb.jpg

post-36483-143138878086_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture from yesterday afternoon's (3/3/2012) brief pleasure drive with the '70 Bug--top down and not even any gloves needed (okay, I admit that a hat & a windbreaker over my longsleeve sweatshirt would've been nice...).

Photo location is the Guilford Town Green, in Guilford, CT. I am parked on Park Street, which borders the east side of the green, and the view is looking west, with St. George's catholic church (on Whitfield Street, which borders the west side of the Green) and the Guilford Civil War "Soldier's Monument" (in the middle of the Green) visible in the background, along with a bit of the setting sun. This shot was probably from around 5pm or so...

70VW3Mar12GlfdGrnG1k.JPG

Great composition!

Not working on a classic car but on a classic lawn tractor,getting another motor ready for my 1969 Sears custom 10. About 5 years ago I installed a used 12HP motor and its tired now so I have another 10 HP that seems like its ok and will give it a try,one day when I am caught up with my car projects I will tear in to the original motor and rebuild it so I wont have to install used motors. Its hard to find a good used Tecumseh cast iron motor these days that I can drop in and I hope I can find new parts to rebuild the original motor when I get to it,this will be the third used motor I have put on it and have been getting about 4 or 5 years out of them before they are smoking badly.