Anybody doing anything in the garage this winter

junkyardjeff

Up to now I have did not done much of anything in the garage except for keeping the daily drivers going through the winter which did not even get in the garage and were repaired in the driveway. The 3.55 gears came for the 37 today and its supposed to be warmer tuesday so after work the gears will go in,unfortunately there is to much snow and salt on the roads to take for a test ride as I cant wait to see how it does with the new gears. After the 37 is done my 55 sunliner will be going to the big garage for a cam change in the motor,when I had the motor rebuilt I told the builder to stick in a cam to help low rpm torque but installed a cam that starts coming on at 2500 rpms and found out my suspicion was right on the trip to Daytona Beach and back going through the mountains. I need to find a better way to heat the garage as I cant stand the smell of kerosene any more.

Guest 38cadillacjack

yes,i have been tearing apart my 56 linc. premier,down to shell,ready for soda blast,then paint,trying to redo nearly everything.i have all the stainless now straight,not polished.every switch is refurbished.cold and snowy,but i have a good shop,i use apellet stove for heat,combustion air from outside,for safety.regards, jack

Yesterday I went a friends to look over a Pierce Arrow straight 8. The head was already off and we turned the motor over to look at the valves, and a majority of them had pitting. Pulled them out and brought them home to re-face. I'll need to do the seats also next trip. I'll have to take my Camera next visit. Dandy Dave!

Ater smelling the kerosene every day all winter a couple years ago I keep wanting to change the heating situation in my garage but have not done anything,I did pick up a hanging natural gas furnace but dont want to run up my gas bill too much. I cut down a few large tress but have no room for a wood burner so maybe its time to extend the garage some so I can add the wood burning stove.

Scraping undercoating (wheelwell progress example: http://home.comcast.net/~shorelinesteve/70Bug9Jan2011RtRrWhlwllR.JPG) underneath my recently-acquired '70 Bug Convertible: http://home.comcast.net/~shorelinesteve/PanScraping28Dec2010.JPG

Also listening to music (on my garage sound system) and enjoying an adult beverage (accessed from the garage refrigerator), or two, along the way...

Guest 53Nailhead
Ater smelling the kerosene every day all winter a couple years ago I keep wanting to change the heating situation in my garage but have not done anything,I did pick up a hanging natural gas furnace but dont want to run up my gas bill too much. I cut down a few large tress but have no room for a wood burner so maybe its time to extend the garage some so I can add the wood burning stove.

I installed a reznor (65,000btu) heater in the garage, 'bout 800sq ft+ with 12 ft ceilings. Keep it about 45* but can reach 70* in short order if I'm out there working....or whatever:rolleyes:

Jan hasn't been screaming at me so it can't be adding much to the gas bill...:D

post-37446-14313841995_thumb.jpg

post-37446-143138419975_thumb.jpg

Guest Dean_H.

You guys in the cold climates are tough as nails, the low temps would finish me off in short order. My car has been running good, so no work in my garage this winter. Yesterday afternoon my wife and I filled our coffee mugs and went for a drive in the country. The old Hupp sure has turned out to be a lot fun. Snapped a picture of it when we got back.

1-22-2011.jpg

Guest Skyking

Last October I installed a 12" I-Beam and eliminated the two lolly collumns in my back garage to add another car in there, so it is a little tight to work on any of the cars. But I do have a full work shop upstairs that I do most of my small painting. I am planning on removing the top on my '54 Metropolitan and redo the top bows and add new weather stripping to it. As for heat, I have a forced hot air furnace that heats the place up in minutes.

2477902240059801719S600x600Q85.jpg

We are still working on the 47 Lincoln,Jeff you should see it at the cruise in this spring.We use a waste oil furnace,heated all the time,but seems the waste oil is getting harder to come by.You may have seen the v 12 engine on the stand and trailer,running all night at the Cruise in

Guest Dean_H.

To answer the question on Vermont Casting stoves, they are the Duesenbergs of wood stoves. The Vermont Casting is designed and built to high quality standards. My wife and I have the Resolute model which is about mid size. It works very well, and is our only source of heat. We have no problem staying warm.

stove.jpg

Tonight was the first time doing any serious work in the garage for the year and got the gears in the 37 but still too much snow for a test drive,had to pull the Harley out of the garage to do the work and did not think I was going to get it back in as there is still about 3 inches of snow and ice on the driveway going to the big garage. I hope to get my 55 sunliner in the big garage before the end of the week and get started doing a couple things to it before it gets warm,along with a cam change I might have to pull the trans. I had the driveshaft made too short and it wore out the tailshaft bushing and since its a convertible it has a X frame and cant pull the tailshaft off so the trans will have to be pulled.

We have been finishing up the '59 Imperial Speedster, we have been building for awhile. (its a sectioned/narrowed/shortened 4 door sedan)

Now I'm not to sure how this fits in here on the AACA other than it originated from a '59 Imperial. It did peak my curiosity enough to google it and came across pictures of some of the build. I find it interesting only in the amount of work done on this project and the skills involved. I see that it originated from a pretty nice looking car. If anyone else is curious the link that I found showing some of the build is:

HubGarage.com - Pfaff Design's Garage

Scott...

Now I'm not to sure how this fits in here on the AACA other than it originated from a '59 Imperial.

Yeah, its not the most AACA friendly build, but there is a lot of history behind it. In the 50's every major car company had a small sporty 2 seater to answer the Corvette, except Chrysler. This car was designed to be that, but being an Imperial, it has a bit more of a luxury slant to it. Think Giha motorama car.

It has been a lot of work. In order to get the proportions right, the body had to be cut into 46 major pieces, so everything has been heavily modified or completely handmade. Thats why the digital renderings were absolutely needed to define where the cuts needed to be made and how much to remove.

We joked about finishing the body, then burying it in Warhoops junkyard and "uncovering" it as a long lost show car.

Tom,

Pictures originating from Warhoops followed by your "Restoration" would have potentially put it right right up there with the Tucker Convertible. Don't get me wrong, I'm highly impressed with the amount of skill and work that went into this car, it actually looks kind of "cute".

Even though I'm in the area and as much as I would like to see the finished car in person I've not decided that I'm going to Autorama this year, actually come to think of it I've not gone for the past 6 years.

Oh, one last question comes to mind. Is this your car? Scott...

Fear not, the car will also be featured in a high standing automotive magazine (not sure I am supposed to say which one), as well as being seen around Woodward and most all the major car shows. We drive our cars! (its already been in Hot Rod magazine twice)

The car is owned by my friend Murray Pfaff, and being built by a bunch of backyard gearheads, with help from a lot of very good sponsors.

Guest windjamer

Guys you just cant work in the cold. If you have a garage like 53 nailhead and outhers I see in this thread, you need to check out waste oil furnace.We have a five bay shop plus office and store room with attic. Built new it had two large overhead oil burners + an electric wall heater in the store room and two wall heaters in the office. Twenty years ago the boss bought a large waste oil furnace and hung it from the cealing. It runs 24hr. a day in the winter and keeps the shop toasty warm even with opening the overhear doors to let cars in and out. We feed it with the oil we drain and also except used oil from DIY ers. The only draw back is you have to clean it every year,sometimes twice. But we havent bought a drop of fuel oil in twenty years:D

hi, not in the garage, but i've been doing some small jobs, while i'm laid off, rounded up all my nos 53-54 pontiac gauges for the dash, amp,gas,oil, and water temp, i also had a nos instrument panel cluster face, so i disassembled the best of three instrument cluster, my original and two spares, it's very nice to look at the speedometer and the gauges through the nos cluster face, no 58 years of scratches, dust, tiny bugs, and faded paint in the engravings. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I have been working on a 41 Ford COE every day now, I finished the floor and have reinforced the rear upper cab panel to accept sholder harnsess and seat belts. I wouldent be without them!.

I am at a point where I will be installing the front cab corners. The only problem is that I don't have a grille to check the alighment.

I have been checking E-Bay to buy one but so far I can't locate it. Anyone got one?

I have been working on a 41 Ford COE every day now, I finished the floor and have reinforced the rear upper cab panel to accept sholder harnsess and seat belts. I wouldent be without them!.

I am at a point where I will be installing the front cab corners. The only problem is that I don't have a grille to check the alighment.

I have been checking E-Bay to buy one but so far I can't locate it. Anyone got one?

There was a fellow up in this area that was working on an early 40's Ford COE about 20 years ago. He sold his place and moved south to Georgia. Sadly, he has since past away. I have no idea where the truck is now. Dandy Dave!

Where are you located as a junkyard about 60 miles from me has one,not exact on the year but guessing early 40s.

Down here in the Dallas area it was in the 70s and sunny today - I got my Cadillac running after a 7 month down time and drove it around today with the windows open! Of course by next tuesday they are threatening ice and snow - and mybe the same for Super Bowl Sunday.