Does anyone else watch old movies and TV shows for the old cars?

rocketraider

I've mentioned this movie several times on the forum, but the 1928 silent comedy Speedy, starring Harold Lloyd, is a early car spotters dream. It is about 25% shot on the streets of New York City, mainly in motion following either a taxi or a street car (which is the major plot point of the movie).

Speedy (1928) - IMDb

It is really surprising how few Model Ts are in the movie, given that there are almost no "posed" scenes (most of the movie was shot on the run throughout New York in a manner that's never be possible today). I'd say even a majority of the cars (and there are literally hundreds to be seen) are 6 and 8 cylinder touring cars and sedans, including MANY very high-end cars. :cool:

BTW, it's a great movie, too!

===========================

Another movie that isn't so great, except for sports car lovers, is the original The Love Bug. The race scenes are all of California club racing in 1967, and there were some awesome cars involved in California club racing at the time. In the background, if you can ignore the inane Volkswagen/Apollo race plot, there are some of the coolest cars ever!:cool:

The Love Bug (1968) - IMDb

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- David Nelson, who starred on his parents' popular television show "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet," has died, a family spokesman said. He was 74.

Nelson, who was battling complications of colon cancer, died Tuesday at his Los Angeles home, said family spokesman and longtime Hollywood publicist Dale Olson.

May you rest in peace David. Back together once again with brother Rick, mom Harriet and the unflappable Ozzie who has kept a seat for you in the old Chryslers that appeared in the 'Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet'.

post-67240-143138402034_thumb.jpg

post-67240-143138402036_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle_Buck (see edit history)

The new Green Hornet movie destroyed 26 1964-1966 Imperials. The Mythbusters TV show on the movie destroyed another.:mad:

They just aired that Mythbusters episode a few days ago. They actually destroyed 2 Imperials, not one. I thought they reused the one with the smashed roof for the explosion part. But they didn't. They got another Imperial and destroyed it for the explosion. What a waste. What difference would it have made to blow up the one with the smashed roof? It was buried underground and no one could see it anyway.

Guest Skip Jordan

Many years ago when I was in college, I had a summer internship to work at Warner Bros. to study film production. I was assigned to the short-lived "Banyon" series set, which was a film noir production about a 1930s Sam Spade-style private eye, played by Robert Forster. They had quite an array of cars from Hollywood Motors, including a Bugatti T50 that would seldom be coaxed into running. The hero's car was a gray Packard roadster. There were many scenes that involved machine guns peppering the car; this was accomplished by taping "squibs" of wired explosive dots of gunpowder along the side of the car, which could not be seen on film. Nonetheless, as benign as that might have been, it made me cringe for the car when they shot the scenes.

BanyonPackard.png

At the same time, I was involved in the shooting of "The FBI" TV series. Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. would often show up on the lot with his exquisite, beige-colored Packard dual cowl phaeton with a crystal Lalique hawk's-head hood ornament. This is supposedly the same car, though the hood ornament seems to have been replaced.

zimbalistpackard.png

Of course, Hollywood is a car-stalker's paradise. Many more stories to tell. Unfortunately, there is nothing to be learned from this other than classic cars are cool and it's good to be rich.

Edited by Skip Jordan (see edit history)

Many years ago when I was in college, I had a summer internship to work at Warner Bros. to study film production. I was assigned to the short-lived "Banyon" series set, which was a film noir production about a 1930s Sam Spade-style private eye, played by Robert Forster. They had quite an array of cars from Hollywood Motors, including a Bugatti T50 that would seldom be coaxed into running. The hero's car was a gray Packard roadster. There were many scenes that involved machine guns peppering the car; this was accomplished by taping "squibs" of wired explosive dots of gunpowder along the side of the car, which could not be seen on film. Nonetheless, as benign as that might have been, it made me cringe for the car when they shot the scenes.

BanyonPackard.png

At the same time, I was involved in the shooting of "The FBI" TV series. Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. would often show up on the lot with his exquisite, beige-colored Packard dual cowl phaeton with a crystal Lalique hawk's-head hood ornament. This is supposedly the same car, though the hood ornament seems to have been replaced.

zimbalistpackard.png

Of course, Hollywood is a car-stalker's paradise. Many more stories to tell. Unfortunately, there is nothing to be learned from this other than classic cars are cool and it's good to be rich.

Looks like sidemount covers have been added.

Guest Skip Jordan
Looks like sidemount covers have been added.

Yes, I don't remember those. In the 70s, I believe the tires were uncovered. I also seem to recall that, at the time, it was all a creamy beige and not two-tone; the fenders may have been a slightly darker shade of beige. In any case, the red pinstriping is as I remember it. This was nearly 40 years ago, and the mists of time have obscured a few details.

Guest Skip Jordan

Referring to an earlier post, I might add that I was at Disney studios after "The Love Bug" came out. This is one example where part of the back lot contained an absolute sea of Beetles in a variety of conditions.

As a wee boy in the 1950's/60's being raised in Scotland I was watching American TV shows like Highway Patrol, Whirlybirds and The Defenders and can still remember how blown away I was at the glamour American cars had at that time compared to our tiny, austere Austins, Morris's or Fords.

So now when we come over to the US on vacation each year now the first thing I do is locate on the TV Turner Classic Movies and any channels where I can get old shows just so I can see those cars and trucks in "real life" situations again.

On this side of the pond we had shows like the Saint, No Hiding Place (our version of Highway Patrol, but with a very English manner about it - "its a fair cop guv'nor! I'll come quietly.", Maigret (a British TV show about a French detective), Z-Cars, etc, etc.

And nowadays I try not to miss period shows like yours or our own, likewise with old movies, especially with my research into old Argyll cars. I was sitting not than long ago watching the movie "Genevieve" made in 1953, which is about the London to Brighton veteran car run and up popped a 1900 Argyll in the back-ground - made my day! :)

Excellent thread - great reading!

Earl B.,

I don't know if you saw "Conflict" (1945) on TCM last Saurday, but it's a favorite Bogey flic for '41 Buicks.

Also starring Alexis Smith, it features a '41 Roadmaster and Limited, and models of each on treacherous

mountain roads. The scene where the Limited model plummets down a mountain and is covered

with a timber pile is a classic.

I've often wondered what became of the scale models used in those films.

Others to watch for are "The Bride Came COD," "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," and,

"In This Our Life." The latter stars Olivia DeHavilland and Bette Davis (at her histrionic best),

with some great driving scenes in a '41 RM Convertible.

TG

You don't always have to find an old movie to see them. Watched a 2003 suspense story tonight called "Black Cadillac" featuring a 57 Fleetwood limo terrorizing college kids in a Saab. DK if it was FX or not, but that malevolent Cadillac was showing off quite a bit- sucker was fast coming up on the Saab from behind! Once it got its considerable heft going that is. The Caddy was unfortunately heavily damaged as part of the plot.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Guest Skip Jordan

Has anyone mentioned "The Yellow Rolls-Royce?" I believe this is the same car.

YrrCareySide-1.jpg

I also get a car fix from the original "Italian Job," which is sort of a slasher movie for car fans, since it involves the massacre of exotic cars.

Guest norgale

I watch the old movies all the time mostly to see the old cars. One that was really interesting to me was "It started with a kiss" where a 56 Lincoln Futura was featured. This was the car that was found out back of George Barrises shop and ultimatly converted to be the first batman car. Too bad too as it was a stunning concept car. Pete

For anybody that wants to see what cars were in what old movies, try here - IMCDb.org: Home page - one of my haunts! No doubt there are cars mis-captioned, but we try our best. Highway Patrol is being done at the moment.

Regarding The Worlds Fastest Indian, there was a thread here - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551751 - and also a thread from back in the day when it was shot - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32306&highlight=movie

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

The original Topper movie was on TCM channel last night. The car is over the top gawddy but I like it. Love how the engine sounds. It must not have mufflers. The engine sound effects are not always in sync with the car though. A few other interesting cars in street scenes includding some 30's Checker cabs.

Guest Skip Jordan
I watch the old movies all the time mostly to see the old cars. One that was really interesting to me was "It started with a kiss" where a 56 Lincoln Futura was featured. This was the car that was found out back of George Barrises shop and ultimatly converted to be the first batman car. Too bad too as it was a stunning concept car. Pete

Just last month, I bought a model kit of that car and tracked down a VHS of the movie. Interesting to note that the movie producers changed the show car color from a frost/silver/blue to red because the original color didn't photograph well.

Guest norgale

Hey Skip. Ya I knew the Batmobile was the Futura but what most people don't know is that the original Future sat outside behind Barris' shop for years just rotting away. Barris brought it out when the movie makers asked him to create a car for Batman and that was the last of the original Futura.

It's really hard for me to imagine a car like that being relegated to the "behind the garage" place in the scheme of things. And now we will never see the Futura in real life again. What a waste. The 56 and 57 Lincolns are as close as you can get anymore. Pete

Guest Skip Jordan
Hey Skip. Ya I knew the Batmobile was the Futura but what most people don't know is that the original Future sat outside behind Barris' shop for years just rotting away. Barris brought it out when the movie makers asked him to create a car for Batman and that was the last of the original Futura.

It's really hard for me to imagine a car like that being relegated to the "behind the garage" place in the scheme of things. And now we will never see the Futura in real life again. What a waste. The 56 and 57 Lincolns are as close as you can get anymore. Pete

I visited Barris' little showroom in L.A. back in '72 and there were a few movie/TV cars jammed in there including the Monkeemobile and the Batmobile; I was surprised to see that the Batmobile had flat and fuzzy paint that was very rough to the touch, unlike most photos you see now that show it with a shiny finish. Evidently, the black paint had been electrically affixed to the body using metal particles.

(Of course, when I say "the" Monkeemobile or "the" Batmobile, I assume they were originals, though film productions typically will have one or more duplicates.)

PS: There were four TV Batmobiles; #3 was recently sold by Symbolic Motors...

http://www.symbolicinternational.com/detail-1966-batmobile-003-by_george_barris-used-6210877.html

All I watch is old movies! The BEST EVER for old cars is Is John Waynes 1932 series called the "Hurricane Expess" . These were about 12, 20 min shorts that would play one at a time in theaters before the main show.

There are dozens of car chases on gravel roads, all hard core, four wheel drifts with cadilacs, pearce arrows, marmons, hudsons. this was a low budjet film so no cars get wrecked. Lots of tommy guns, Steam trains, and airplanes as well.

A must watch for 1920's open car guys!!!!!!!!

Have fun,

Paul

Guest norgale

That's pretty neat Skip. Must have been something to actually touch the Batmobile/Futura even if the paint was not nice and shiney. The dull paint may have been for the movie film as shiney sometimes isn't good on the film. Pete

Guest Skip Jordan
That's pretty neat Skip. Must have been something to actually touch the Batmobile/Futura even if the paint was not nice and shiney. The dull paint may have been for the movie film as shiney sometimes isn't good on the film. Pete

I think it was supposed to be that way to look like bat fur.

The original question was "Does anyone else watch old movies and TV shows for the old cars?"

Answer, yes but sometimes alone. Some family members refuse to watch old movies with me because I'll often observe something like " that the 57 Ford Convertible that just went off the cliff turned into a 53 Mercury Convertible before it reach the bottom".

Or "How did a 56 Chevy Armoured Truck get into use in 1934?

Does that ruin the movie?

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Does that ruin the movie?

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

You have to not let it. The Godfather and Godfather II are the worst for this. Most of the cars they used were 1-3 years off from what they were supposed to be, especially (for some reason) the police cars. American Graffiti's cars are chronologically correct, but (especially Harrison Ford's '55 Chevy) not historically correct.

But all 3 are among the best movies ever made. :cool:

hi, i caught american graffiti on cable tv this morning, when it first came out in movie theaters, i saw it four times the first week. my car was wanted for the movie, but i wouldn't sell it to the studio, i was willing to rent it to them, but they wanted to own it outright. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I vaguely remember a show called "Highway Patrol" which featured an actor named (Robert?) Preston. Every week he pulled a car over and solved a crime the driver was involved in. At the end of the show he would say,"Tell it to the judge". I would love to see that series again.

I downloaded a few of those the other day and if i remember right it was Broderick Crawford who was the star.

All I watch is old movies! The BEST EVER for old cars is Is John Waynes 1932 series called the "Hurricane Expess" . These were about 12, 20 min shorts that would play one at a time in theaters before the main show.

There are dozens of car chases on gravel roads, all hard core, four wheel drifts with cadilacs, pearce arrows, marmons, hudsons. this was a low budjet film so no cars get wrecked. Lots of tommy guns, Steam trains, and airplanes as well.

A must watch for 1920's open car guys!!!!!!!!

Have fun,

Paul

thanks, i am downloading it now on vuze.com

Keith

1922 auburn

1926 auburn

auburn etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

Midnight Cowboy - how can I say this without it being taken the wrong way - but I almost stop breathing try as I might to identify ever car in every scene. And the Mercedes 220S Coupe in Colin Firth's a Single Man was just beautiful. My kids hate watching anything with me - I have to blurt out every make and model. If I really just need to know this is a great site for checking out what cars were in what movies: IMCDb.org

Guest Skip Jordan

I could go on forever on this topic.

Grace Kelly's Sunbeam from "To Catch a Thief."

i013886.jpg

The 6C 2500 Alfa Sport from "My House in Umbria." By the way, this was a made for cable movie; thoroughly charming with an all-star cast; if you haven't seen it, it's better than many theatrical films.

i138980.jpg

In the early days of film the cars, especially the expensive ones, often belonged to the producer, director or even the actors themselves. My cable company provides Turner Classic Movies and many of them are from the early 1930s. It's really a pleasure to see these cars when they were just cars, being used as intended and not antiques so valuable that people are afraid to drive them. However you hold your breath watching movie chase scenes hoping some beautiful classic will not end up wrecked!