Speeding in a Packard

Dave Mitchell

Not a ticket, but back around 1970, driving home from the Grayslake IL spring car show in a 37 120 convertible sedan, I raced a 39 Buick coupe out of the tollbooth on 294 southbound. We ran pretty close together until about 65, when the Packard started to pull away from the Buick. At about 80 the Buick backed off, but I was not satisfied until the speedometer read 100. Who knows how accurate it was, but I was 19 and had a big grin on my face. These days I top out at about 75 in my daily driver.

Wow, I am impressed. Good story. I never pushed my 37 120 that hard, but it was a sedan. Did the convertible sedan have high speed rear axle gears?

I did run alongside an M5 BMW for a while just at and sometimes a little over 100 on a deserted stretch of three lane interstate in my 46 2106 club sedan with radials and overdrive. He had sort of looked at me like I didn't belong on the interstate when he pulled up next to me. I waved and he just shrugged, didn't wave and sped up. I sped up too and ran his speed for a few miles. He finally looked over very surprised that I was there and sheepishly waved. I backed off, of course his car was a lot faster, but at least he knew that it wasn't a 45 mph car. I don't know how accurate the speedo was on the 46 either, but it was nice and stable at higher speed. It would run 70 all day and not get hot or seem to be straining.

Grand Father has a warning ticket still from racing his 40 180 against 2 other Packards in Oregon, they were clocked at 110mph and the cop gave him a warning because he said the judge would never belive these old cars would go that fast. Some of you might know him, Bob Hopkins Sr.

back about 1975 I had a '39 110 coupe that I took up to 75 ONCE. it was totally worn out and was glad nothing went BANG! and that I didn't get caught... (because of the national 55 mph speed limit.) earlier...in 1970 my '51 merc with a chev 327 would cruise easily at 100... good thing that the 'chp' that saw me was chasing down a dodge charger.

I put my foot to it once in my 54 Patrician, was going 85 in a 60 and still had throttle left over,, but the looks i got passing people in the left lane on the highway, Priceless...

Guest Silverghost

Dad and I had never been pulled-over for speeding in a Packard~~~

BUT ~~~

We were & are constantly being pulled-over for going too SLOW in one of Dad's early Brass-Era Antiques !

That is not so far-fetched for a Stanley Steamer. Those things were faster than just about anything else at the time and for many years after, as long as the pressure held.

I have had exactly one speeding ticket in my life, at age 19 (looong time ago) even though I pretty much drove 10 to 15 mph over the limit most of the time, until I got tired of it a few years ago. It's just no fun, when almost anything will go way faster than the roads and traffic will allow, and people are basically picking fights rather than having fun.

I've been PULLED OVER numerous times, for numerous "offenses" including speeding, but they always seemed to catch me at the times when I was only speeding slightly, and have talked my way out of it. You just need to be polite, have your license and hands in plain sight (if it's night turn on the dome light) and be ready to say where you're coming from and where you're going (never say "the bar"). It goes something like: "Yes, sir, officer sir, here's my license... I'm coming from (Church is a good one) and going to gramma's house. Oh let me explain, officer sir, she's a nightowl and is always up at 2 a.m. and I went to church 700 miles away yesterday morning."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 41_packard

Not a Packard, but still a good story. A couple of years ago, on the way to a Sunday afternoon car club meeting, a Model T owner/friend found himself alongside the road chatting with an Ohio State Patrolman about speeding into town. Many of fellow club members passed the poor(er )soul as we we approached the meeting place. He got a standing ovation when he arrived with his ticket!

Edited by 41_packard (see edit history)

I don't know if Tom Mix ever got a ticket, if he didn't, he was lucky he drove his 41's

fast. the 160 conv sedan had dual carbs and an edmunds alum high comp head.

He also did not drive slow with his 734. He had quite a story about driving a 734 parts car home from NY, something about passing an MGB.

JB

Buick 1922-6-55

Well it wasnt a Packard.but a Franklin. My 1930 147 sedan ,a 7 pass long wheelbase car ,with a stock 100 hp air-cooled 6 will run 80 mph without hurting it. Dont get wrong,everthing is VERY BUSY under the hood,but Ive done it. The 1930-32 Franklins are in my opinion the greatest driving common mans classic on the road.Lots of power,speed, 4 wheel juice brakes,and light steering. No worries of over heating,belts,hoses or radiator problems....A franklin setup correctly doesnt care what the temperature is outside,hot or cold.

• 1 month later...

I did 75mph in my 1937 120CD (stock 282 and no overdrive) on the way to work in the morning. Just had a problem getting around the other drivers staring at me with dropped jaws. One driver was actually staring at me and almost drove off the shoulder. A fellow employee tailed me to work in disbelief. He said he swore I had replaced the original engine with a later V8 until I propped the hood open. He was shock even more when I told him I still had pedal left to use but couldn't open it up due to the morning rush hour.

Our stone stock '39 120 has seen 75 as well, part of what sold us on the car was Mr. Laferriere's enthusiastic leadfooted demonstration, he couldn't wait to get to the highway... I have since driven over 70 with it myself but the first time made quite an impression. Cool to be taking the left lane in a pre-war car for a change.

I am not sure of the gearing in this car but it is quite comfortable at 55 - 65, no OD in ours either and no sense of working hard at all with plenty left for passing and quite stable at higher speeds. Also you don''t get the sense of it wanting to wander around...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I put my foot into my 54 Patrician getting on the highway shortly after i got it, and before i relized it i was doing 85, and still had pedel left,,

Our stone stock '39 120 has seen 75 as well, part of what sold us on the car was Mr. Laferriere's enthusiastic leadfooted demonstration, he couldn't wait to get to the highway...
Steve, the 1935 Packard 12 has the same gearing as your car, except that it has 175 horses and 473 Cubes to really move you along. Seems like a nice upgrade and same color too! However fuel consumption is rather high.

PACKARDS WERE NOT BUILT FOR SPEED!!! Ive had several and they were all geared to pull a 3 bottom plow on the farm. They ones I had rode nice ,but were strictly 55 mph cars. If you want a fast classic at a good price BUY FRANKLIN!1930-34

Well, maybe not ALL Packards, but I'm not hearing much here about V8 Packards, which will all definitely cruise at 85+ mph for as long as the gas holds out. I have personally ridden in (not driven) a '55 Clipper Custom that was driven at speeds over 90 mph for 100 miles, from my grandparents' house to my family home, between towns spaced about 15 miles apart, at night, on a 2-lane road. I was about 12 years old. This would probably now be considered child endangerment, but we made it. I watched the speedo the whole way, and it got up to 90 shortly after getting through a town and stayed there until the next one. My dad said driving fast made it easier to stay awake late at night. I believed him at the time. At least he was driving a car built for such speeds.

This was on bias ply tires, in about 1969. It was not a new car by any means.

Steve, the 1935 Packard 12 has the same gearing as your car, except that it has 175 horses and 473 Cubes to really move you along. Seems like a nice upgrade and same color too! However fuel consumption is rather high.

This man is dangerous - he comes up with deals that are very hard to ignore!! You do have my curiousity up on that car, Tom, especially after seeing the video - BTW I saw our friend Ray last night and we are planning a field trip to RI soon...

I know of a '34 standard 8 coupe that gets out of it's own way pretty good also!! :D