Custom bodied Packards

Dave Mitchell

OK, here we go, a bunch of Packards that probably have never been seen before. ID as many as you can. After all. I am a Pierce guy. :rolleyes:

post-31625-143138436177_thumb.jpg

post-31625-14313843618_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138436184_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138436187_thumb.jpg

post-31625-14313843619_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138436192_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138436195_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143138436198_thumb.jpg

Are you asking if the body in the photo was taken off and replaced with something else?

I'm asking if anyone knows. This isn't from my era of interest, but I'm always interested in learning about nice unmolested cars that undergo a transformation such as rebodying. It's possible one of the thread viewers may know something about the car in the 1957 photo which was probably rebodied or parted out.

Perhaps this is Doc Clemens' car? I saw it about 10 years ago. Doc owned it since the early 60s and it was never at any shows or publicly displayed to my knolwedge. After he died 5 or 6 years ago it disappeared.

Btw, I can't imagine this car would have been rebodied? Maybe if it was an 8 and got made into a twelve.

Guest Packard12Man

re Door Hinge Puzzle - West, I knew mentioning the Marano Dietrich would come back to haunt me. I am aware that his car is somewhat of an anomaly - I only mentioned it because it is the only conv. sedan that I am certain has jump seats.

This next photo confirms that they were popular. You should see some of the colors they painted the cars going to India. It still continues today. They love wild colors. Can you ID these cars?

The two Packards in the foreground are 37 Super 8s - do you know what the original colors were? The first one must be the Rollston phaeton and the second a standard Packard body, probably a 1502 lwb 7 pass sedan. The only possible standard factory colors would be Packard ivory or Iridium gray that would show up that light.

OK, here we go, a bunch of Packards that probably have never been seen before. ID as many as you can. After all. I am a Pierce guy. :rolleyes:

Ok, correct me if I am wrong, but from left to right from the top - 36 120 Dietrich convertible sedan, 32 Std 8 7 pass touring, 34 Std 8 7 pass touring, 41 110 with factory air, 37 120 Dietrich convertible sedan, 41 120 conv sedan

None of the early open cars are phaetons. The green one is a 1932 standard eight 7-passenger touring, and the red/orange one is a 1934 standard-eight 7-passenger touring (rare disc wheels), the blue/silver one is a 1934 standard eight touring (rare disc wheels, again), and the white one looks to be a 1932 touring as well.

Among other things, those carriage-style door handles were only used on the tourings. That exact same body was used from 1927-1934, no changes. Very "antiquey" looking by 1934. Disc wheels in 1933 and 1934, as I said, are a rare sighting today (at least in the U.S.... it doesn't look too rare in India).

post-33613-143138437429_thumb.jpg

post-33613-14313843743_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143138437431_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143138437431_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Wow, never knew such a car existed!! I have been working for some time on a design for a mid-Thirties Packard and Pierce-Arrow sport sedan of somewhat similar proportions with v-windshield. Nice to see that somebody back then was thinking along those lines. Interesting that the Europeans were more enamored than the Americans.

Thanks for the post! Wonder what other revelations are out there waiting to be discovered.

Paul West

Thanks for the photo of the 34 Rollston town car - it looks similar to bodies they put on Duesenberg chassis. Interesting that the Vanderbilts put it on a Standard 8. It would probably look pretty good cleaned up. Do you think that the shutters were originally black? This is another car that would most likely look better with blackwalls. If they opted for black shutters, I doubt they went for whites.

Thanks for posting the photos of the 37 Glaser. I was going to put some up of that one, but I don't have any this recent. I would like to see that car in person. I rather like it with the top down, ready for a tour in the Danish countryside on a sunny afternoon. The original owner of the 36 Norrmalm had a house in Denmark and I have wondered if the cars ever crossed paths when new.

I was talking with Warner Neill about this forum and he send the following:

This is a photo I found in an antique shop on the way up to Hershey about ten years ago - quite an interesting and gorgeous car.

1937 Packard SU8 Franay.jpg

119K View Download

I spent some time in India in 1970. Years later I saw a 16 cylinder Caddy at Hershey that I knew just by its color had to have been brought back from India. It was a pinkish sort of red that is a common color for stucco found thruout India. Wish I'd known more about Classic cars when I was there. By then most of the Maharajahs had fallen on hard times but their estates were mostly still intact at least to some extent.