Custom bodied Packards

Dave Mitchell

Great photo of Babe Ruth. What year is it? That is a very smooth, curved body for the time.

I believe 1920. Rear section of the body was cigar shaped, so unlike speedsters or other runabouts. There has to be a decent photo, somewhere, so let's hope someone has one and will share.

For that matter, let's hope some more contributors post some interesting photos to this thread.

Great street photo of the 40 town car - I like the driver in uniform and also the man talking to him - another driver or maybe a doorman or the footman who was with him waiting to open the door for the lady after a hard day's shopping in Bergdorf's. The razor edge is accentuated with the front roof closed. Notice the blackwalls also.

Guest Packard12Man

In reference to my previous post #402 (on page 17) - regarding 11th series Dietrich Conv Sedan door hinges. I received an e-mail from a Dietrich owner, who was not able to answer my question as to why, but the 2 Conv. Sedans with the 3 door hinges are also alone amongst all 9th, 10th and 11th series Dietrich's of all styles, fitted from new with a cowl brace. Maybe the answer is lost to time.

Below photo's of a '32 Twin Six Conv. Sedan by Murphy

post-47351-14313846613_thumb.jpg

post-47351-143138466124_thumb.jpg

One would look a long time to find a better looking closed car, Dave. Not sure who combines formal lines and some element of sportiness better than Dietrich did. Thanks for putting this one up!

I'll go one farther and say that this is as good looking as most open cars.

Guest John_Lawrence

Here is a photo of a 1938 Packard 1608 Kellner Torpedo-Cabriolet currently being exhibited at the Blackhawk Automotive Museum in Danville, California. It is interesting because the body is from a mid-1930s Renault Suprastella Torpedo. The story goes the owner felt the need for a new automobile as her Renault was beginning to show its age. However, she had become fond of the Renault’s body and interior, and did not want to part with them. She satisfied both needs by having the Renault body and the Packard chassis married. The photo does not do justice to the wrap around green house of the passenger compartment. There are windows with narrow frames on the front and sides. The interior is gorgeous, with brocade fabric and burled wood for the hard surfaces. The interior of an exterior mounted trunk is also finished with the same material as the passenger compartment. A Rene Lalique “Vicorie” radiator grill ornament is a stunning feature.

post-56570-143138475023_thumb.jpg

Body swaps onto newer chassis certainly had it's era with the wealthy. I've probably posted these before, but just in case....

The Barbara Hutton car, Brewster body on a 35 Twelve (Jim Pearsall photo)

The Ruth Gordon car, Pierce body on a 37 Twelve (my photo).

post-49751-143138475062_thumb.jpg

post-49751-14313847507_thumb.jpg

Feel the same way about the '33-34 Dietrich Sport Sedan. one of the best closed cars of the period. Would add the '41 LeBaron Sport Brougham.

Agreed, absolutely. I like the Sport Broughams a lot. I think they are great looking and better than the open 41s. These were expensive semi customs and considering how down the market was in 41 and how few seniors they sold, the Sport Broughams were a real success. I like the thin chrome window frames and the "hard top" styling with the trunk and the sharp line that defines the belt from the top at the back. The proportions are excellent and fit nicely on the middle wheelbase. They also have very nice interiors with great wood trim. All in all a great car. You can see why Packard dropped the Darrin sedan from the catalog and added the LeBaron.

Body swaps onto newer chassis certainly had it's era with the wealthy. I've probably posted these before, but just in case....

The Barbara Hutton car, Brewster body on a 35 Twelve (Jim Pearsall photo)

The Ruth Gordon car, Pierce body on a 37 Twelve (my photo).

Thanks for posting - I don't remember the Hutton car. Does it still exist? That is really interesting and doesn't look as jarring as the Pierce body.

If it is a Rollston, you can most likely get the info on the original owner as most of the records still exist in the hands of a family member. I don't know this particular car. O'Quinn owning it doesn't really mean much other than he liked it when he saw it at auction or his Canadian advisors told him to buy it. I don't think he did great research on the cars he bought, especially the first years he was buying. The two period photos I posted show Rollstons with coach sills and the Waterhouses are straight. I think Bill Snyder (Ohio/Florida) has a Rollston conv victoria. Waterhouse built a series of them for Packard, so there could be more Waterhouses than Rollstons surviving.

Apologies in advance for the poor view of this town car (I may have better pics home) snapped at John Scales' Packard Restoration Co. last winter. Those familiar with this business may know he closed and relocated, and his background has been the subject of discussion on this and other forums. Regardless of the status of the business, this is a very interesting car and he was a good host to our local AACA region. I cannot recall the coachbuilder but remember it as coming out of a Newport, RI estate and the top was tortoise skin (I assume the skin that sits on the shell) which is now illegal to obtain?

I understand restoration stopped on many of these cars and he has since relocated but I do not know any more details including the fate of this unrestored, but complete town car.

IMG_1318A | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You can see other cars once you get to this site, but most of what he had were very rough, relatively common closed Sr. models of the late 30s.

BTW The well fed guy in the glasses and salmon shirt on the right is me...

nice set of photos. thanks for sharing Joe