Custom bodied Packards

Dave Mitchell

Here's a photo I took at an AACA meet in Tennessee in 1962. What body is this? Is it still with us?

Don

That is an interesting car and undoubtedly very expensive when new and certainly custom. The landaulet town car was usually the most expensive body you could get, and was reserved for the very rich. I have only seen a few Packards with this body. One was either an 840 or 845 in Huntsville, AL in a big collection and needed a total restoration. I hope someone is doing that car. There are a handful of the 38/39 12 Brunns with this basic style body too.

There was also an open front version of this, and I don't know if those are included in that count. There were fewer done than the ones with just the open back. I don't know what his price is, but it is an interesting car that I would love to have. The problem is that no matter what his price is, the fact that two have sold for $240K proves that you will be upsidedown in this car in no time. On a side note - did someone let their teenage daughter pick a color? Wow.

There was also an open front version of this, and I don't know if those are included in that count. There were fewer done than the ones with just the open back. I don't know what his price is, but it is an interesting car that I would love to have. The problem is that no matter what his price is, the fact that two have sold for $240K proves that you will be upsidedown in this car in no time. On a side note - did someone let their teenage daughter pick a color? Wow.

I agree - very cool car but expensive restoration.

If you follow the link he has a bunch more pictures. If I recall correctly this car was a barn find that RM auctioned off a few years ago. Believe it or not I think John has cleaned it up quite a bit.

I know of one of these where the car is completely closed - not a towncar & not a laundelette. It has an all cloth interior.

I didn't realize they built a fully closed car - does it have a division window? I would guess not if it has an all cloth interior. Super 8 or 12? What shape is it in?

I agree - very cool car but expensive restoration.

If you follow the link he has a bunch more pictures. If I recall correctly this car was a barn find that RM auctioned off a few years ago. Believe it or not I think John has cleaned it up quite a bit.

It looked familiar, I didn't know if John had purchased it then or if it didn't sell.

Here's a photo I took at an AACA meet in Tennessee in 1962. What body is this? Is it still with us?

Don

This is a Brunn body on a Third Series Packard Eight 3-43 chassis. The story of the car and its restoration was written up in the "Antique Automobile" some years ago. The owner is a long-time member of AACA in Tennessee. At the present time, so far as anyone knows, this is the sole remaining example of a Brunn body on a Third Series Eight Packard chassis.

I didn't realize they built a fully closed car - does it have a division window? I would guess not if it has an all cloth interior. Super 8 or 12? What shape is it in?

I don't remember if it had a division or not. I think they're all Twelves. No such thing as a Super Eight Brunn Touring Cabriolet. It's in average original condition, similar shape to the green one posted above. It's been in the same family over 50 years and won't be for sale anytime soon.

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Anyone want to take a stab at whose creations these were? Each appears to be a first series twin. The front fender on the car at right has that Fleetwood look, but I am not convinced the body is Fleetwood. The whole treatment of bonnet, cowl and windshield on each car makes me think these are of European origin.

post-65643-143138488221_thumb.jpg

post-65643-143138488224_thumb.jpg

Thanks AJ and West, I appreciate your thoughts and will pass them on to dad. He does a little better every day and has speech and physical therapy 3 days a week and I try to help him get his skills back. It is really scary to know how quickly you can lose abilities that you have had most of your life, but the doctors tell us that he should almost everything back. He is working hard and it sounds like he will continue to improve for a year. Hopefully he will be able to come to Hershey with me again this year.

Sorry to hear about your dad, Dave. The B-S you posted looks like it has an earlier body on it. Thoughts?

No, it was all built in 1941, and is the last complete body built by B & S. This car was mine for 20 years and I restored it in my shop, and I was lucky to uncover the whole history. It was built for a very, very wealthy woman in Pasadena who had owned big Packards and Rolls Royces from the turn of the century on. She founded the Hollywood bowl and funded Claremont colleges etc. She wanted a limo that was totally comfortable and you could see well out of (perhaps also be seen in) that had a great ride. The back seat sits about 8 inches higher than the front seat so you can see over the drivers head and pretty much feel like you are in charge of the whole world when you ride in the back. I miss the car - it was a dream to drive and fun to show. I cut no corners when we did it and did the whole chassis and driveline with NOS parts. We won a lot of awards with it including our class at Pebble Beach and BOS at the PAC nationals and in 10 years of showing it never failed to get a perfect score.

I met Chris Bohman who worked on the car at his dad's shop and he told me great stories about cars and the famous people that they built them for, which was something totally amazing and fed my enthusiasm for coachbuilt cars.

Thanks West, I appreciate your comments, especially given your knowledge of Packards.

One thing I like about custom cars is that some were built to a purpose, or for an owner's particular tastes, which may or may not be deemed attractive today, but back then, if someone had the money, they could build anything they wanted. The auto companies could only build something that would be (hopefully at least) popular with the buying public, even in small series, but an individual could build regardless of current style. Some cars like the Phantom Corsair were so wild and modern that only one would be built, others so expensive that only one would be built, or so particular to a certain person's taste or desire to be different, that no one else would copy it. Some cars were built only for beauty - to win at a European concours for instance, and they are so uncomfortable that you wouldn't really want to drive it very far. There isn't really any "new" car equivilent of that sort of one of a kind car today.

I feel like the Bohman limo is in that special group - an exotic one off, built not for looks, but for function and the luxury of the occupants, and maybe a little bit for its striking presence. Even in 1941, you would have noticed it.

I think there was a Pierce 66 with a toilet also, but I have never seen a Packard with one.

The Bohman limo had a lot of walnut and burl walnut, plush wool carpet with an even more plush sheepskin overlay, concealed silk shades, a cover that hid the large jumpseats, and lots of high quality bedford cord wool. I also liked the leather trunk with fitted leather cases. It was just nicer than what you got in a standard Packard limo.

Twin Six with body by Hofslageri of Stockholm. I have written before about Jan Stroman's book "Swedish Caochbuilders" which shows a good number of American cars, including Packards with Swedish bodies. Here are some photos also to be found in that book, along with the stories of the cars and coachbuilders. Note the modifications done by a later owner.

post-30705-143138503659_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138503663_thumb.jpg

post-30705-143138503667_thumb.jpg

Yes, Stroman's book is a worthwhile purchase if coachbuilding is your interest. But it's copyrighted so I don't know about the wisdom of putting photos from it on here without permission.

You make an assumption here.

I have been good friends with Jan for about 20 years and the idea is to show people a couple of the photos that they probably haven't seen of some unusual cars so that they might buy the book. Granted it isn't another coffee table book of big photos of overrestored phaetons and roadsters (often full of errors in the captions) - but I think it documents an area of automotive history that hadn't been dealt with comprehensively anywhere. The Swedish coachbuilders did some really high quality bodies and not much is known about them in the US. American cars have always been popular in Sweden, and a lot of the custom bodies were built on American chassis. I think it is great when someone undertakes the task of doing the research on a topic of automotive history like this and then goes through the process of actually publishing it, given the limited market and knowing it won't be a commercial success. We need more serious scholars to take on these topics lest the history is all lost to time.

My guess is Owen was just looking out for Dave. BTW - hope all is well Dave, I believe I met your dad at Hershey last year stopping by to meet you and was told you were off as usual - socializing and parts chasing.

Where I grew up Swedes were famous for their fine homebuilding, certain homes are advertised as "built by so and so" to this day. This continues to be a great thread to follow - wondered if slowdown was also due in part to getting out in the garage after a long winter. :)

Dave, of course I agree with everything you say about the book, the effort to do it, and the Swedish coachbuilders. But when you posted the pictures I didn't see a "used with permission" or similar statement and hence my assumption.

Really, we are all pretty lax when it comes to copyright issues. Though the chances of enforcement are probably slim, we really should pay proper attention to the rights of authors and publishers. Same goes for crediting the source of photographs which I try to do but can't always remember.

Sorry, that came out stiffer than I meant it. The trials of the last few weeks have me a bit on edge.

Jan has been good enough to share his incredible photo collection with me over the years and give me a lot of copies. He has done impressive research, finding photos and info where others gave up. This book gives them a wider audience and that is what I was trying to convey. I have a few other photos that are also in the book that I think others will find interesting, such as the sister car to my cabriolet, built on a Super 8 chassis.

What do you think of the Twin Six?

My guess is Owen was just looking out for Dave. BTW - hope all is well Dave, I believe I met your dad at Hershey last year stopping by to meet you and was told you were off as usual - socializing and parts chasing.

Where I grew up Swedes were famous for their fine homebuilding, certain homes are advertised as "built by so and so" to this day. This continues to be a great thread to follow - wondered if slowdown was also due in part to getting out in the garage after a long winter. :)

Dad was able to go to Hershey last year again after missing a year due to his hip replacement, and had a great time. I just hope that he can go again, we have a lot of fun together and he has gotten to know a lot of my Packard friends. He has a lot of great stories - my favorites are about flying the P 47 Thunderbolt - and as he is slowly making progress with his speech therapy, I hope he will be telling them again soon.

What you say about the quality of Swedish work is true - the same around here. I would definitely say it extends to the body building too. Of the coachbuilt cars that I have worked on, the Norrmalm is the best and most detailed.