Kruse Auburn Auction, 3-8 Sep

Reatta Man

a lot of people from the FEBRUARY sale in Tucson still have not gotten paid, the news release said Kruse "should" be able to pay them after the Labor Day sale ...

so how long will the consignors from the Labor Day sale have to wait to get paid?

News article:

Kruse Auction reneges on promise

Autoweek article:

AutoweekArticle.jpg

another:

http://wimzit.com/2009/06/04/public-auto-auction-company-kruse-getting-complaints/

another:

Kruse Auction Sellers Beaware. - Page 2 - Classic Car - Where Car Lovers Click

another:

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=584376&sid=f6636abd40d333de2f3c13a101cbb1eb

another:

Kruse Auctions Trouble? - Club Cobra

another:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5402565

another:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5409891

another:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=197987

you get the idea ...

Edited by Jim Rohn (see edit history)

I've sold a couple of cars through Kruse years ago, and bought several cars through their auctions here in Texas.

If the car doesn't sell, the owner can remove it immediately. If Kruse acts as a buyer, they are obligated to pay the seller within the contract limitations. If there is some funny business going on here, it would definitely be chasing away sellers, and then, eventually, buyers.

I'm not stating anything about the Kruse organization and what is going on right now. While my experiences were very, very positive, I know things can change quickly if new people take over an old organization. I hope that if they are having problems, they are temporary or easily explained.

This hobby is built on integrity first among those that support it; if anything starts putting that at risk, the hobby is in trouble, not just one auction house or dealer.

According to the Better Business Bureau, Kruse has an "F" rating:

BBB Review of Kruse International in Auburn, IN

Also, their Web site claims they "expect 5,000 cars" for the Auburn auction. So far, as of this morning, 1,344 cars are listed to be auctioned off.

For a company dealing with millions of dollars worth of other people's cars, these are not good signs.

Joe

I would not consign anything with them with that history

when they publicly state that the sellers that have been stiffed from as early as February "anticipates that everyone will get paid" AFTER their labor Day auction, that only tells me they are robbing from Peter to pay Paul, bad all around.

Kruse blames dealers/buyers who are slow to pay for cars they purchased for the problem. When you sign as a bidder though, you have to prove you have the funds to pay, sometimes providing a bank letter of guarantee. The seller turns over the car & title to the auctioneer before the auction. I don't understand why an auctioneer turned the car & title over to a buyer before they pay. Seems to me the seller is entitled to get his car back, that should have been held by the auctioneer, if the buyer fails to pay as guaranteed in the specified time.. Perhaps also a refund of seller's entry fees if the auctioneer failed to verify buyer's credit worthiness.

Guest Gary Hearn

It seems to me that if you consign your vehicle to an auction company it is accepted on a fiduciary basis. They have an obligation to safeguard the property and to generate the maximum return. The vehicle should only be released after good funds are received from the buyer and those monies should then be placed in an escrow account, not commingled with the auction company's operating funds.

If the funds are not there to pay a consignor, then a conversion has occurred and the violator should be prosecuted. To allow a company to continue when a deficit occurs places the public at risk and allows a continuation of the "robbing Peter to pay Paul" scheme. Given the information that is available, one would wonder why anyone would consign a vehicle to this sale.

We have not changed our policy on vendors. However, this is public knowledge and so far people are being restrained in their comments. We appreciate that. Since the Kruse organization is making statements in public and the news media is reporting on this issue there are facts that we can deal with so at this point the thread can stay.

However, despite their announcements on their website KRUSE INTERNATIONAL IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANYWAY WITH THE EASTERN DIVISION FALL MEET IN HERSHEY

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

KRUSE INTERNATIONAL IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANYWAY WITH THE EASTERN DIVISION FALL MEET IN HERSHEY

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. AACA has a stellar reputation, and from what I hear about Hershey, it is a first class event. Glad to see these organizations not being splashed with any of the mud that may or may not be tossed around.

If anyone else will be at Kruse on Labor Day weekend, let me know.

Joe

I'm a newbie who happened to be visiting in Auburn this past weekend.

This is accurate! As of last Friday only 700 cars consigned this year (normally several thousand); not a SINGLE one on the lot yet. Who knows how many will actually show up - it appears the word is out.

I frequently go to the Auburn auction but decided to skip it this year. This info makes me glad I'm not going this year. What a shame. It was always interesting just to check out all the cars even if you weren't buying. I wonder if this will be the beginning of the end of this event.

K8096,

The article you specify quotes Stephen B. Chapman as stating:

"Right now you can get into a mid-1960s (Pontiac) GTO for $7,000 to $ 9,000. Three years from now it should be worth twice that"

At that price, please put me on the list for a few..............

Seriously , the article is not far off the mark, but aimed at the investor, moreso than the enthusiast.

Thanks for the reference

Edited by Marty Roth
correction of quote (see edit history)

A RED-HOT MARKET IN VINTAGE CARS - The New York Times

Here's an interesting article I stumbled upon by accident. Don't know if it was posted here before or not.

Now I understand this investment/hobby. I'm not collecting the right cars. I need to buy a couple Ferrari and Bugattis. I'm glad Dean Kruse was quoted in the article telling us how to invest in this hobby. Can he tell us how to get paid too?

Just remember Kruse makes his money when people sign up a car, and if it sells, when the buyer pays for the car. And of course, he makes more money when the car prices go up.

So he has to try to get traffic to his auctions, in terms of foot traffic and cars brought to the auction for sale, whether they sell or not. And saying things in a NY Times article is just free publicity for him.

I also got his catalogue recently in the mail. It looks as if, just based upon his catalogue, as if it will be as big as in the previous boom years. However, I also remember that most of the really unusual cars, such as celebrity-owned cars or very rare cars, almost NEVER sell at Kruse. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if he may even pay the owner of a Howard Huges car to bring it to the auction, knowing it probably won't sell, just so he can feature it as a highlight car to build foot traffic.

So, it will be interesting to see this year if the hype matches the actual outcome.

Joe

If you are the owner of, let's say a Duesenberg, then yes there can sometimes be certain incentives to bring your car to an auction, whether it's really for sale or not.

I know of a Duesenberg owner being approached to do this. He had no intention of selling his car, and the auction house said, "we don't care, we just want it for the publicity, you don't have to sell it" Talk about pimping out your car. Thankfully, he didnt' do it.

I know of a Duesenberg owner being approached to do this. He had no intention of selling his car, and the auction house said, "we don't care, we just want it for the publicity, you don't have to sell it" Talk about pimping out your car. Thankfully, he didnt' do it.

This doesn't happen as much as you think, at least with the astute collectors. Nothing devalues a car faster then multiple trips to the auction block.

• 2 weeks later...

In the swap meet at 10:00 saturday morning, you could roll a bowling ball down the rows and hit no anyone!!!! Turn out was poor and there were lots of empty vendor spaces. Over all, the swap meet was very poorly attended by all. Hey, yhat $20 admission is a big bite in the back side!!!

I was at the auction park on Friday afternoon for a couple hours. I go to Auburn for the ACD Club meet, not the auction, but Kruse gives everyone who registers for the ACD meet meet a free pass to the auction park; so we go for a few hours just to look. The flea market was fairly crowded on Friday afternoon. There were a lot of golf carts buzzing around. As with the past several years, the auction is very heavy in low end post war cars with only a smattering of quality pre war stuff. Several big dealers has tents there as well including Hyman. It did look like there were fewer cars there than in the past, but it wasn't "dead" by any means.

Sat at the auction. . . Where are the cars? It appears that at least half of the expected cars were no-shows. Plenty of spectators but Kruse was trying to sell from an empty cart. Speaking of carts, the golf carts were as numerous and as annoying as mosquitoes

I have to admit; I rented a cart for me and my wife this year for the first time. You can sure see a lot more and cover a lot more ground with one, but they can be a pain if driven by a jerk, whether you are walking OR riding. Same problems; talking on a #$$% cell phone, drinking, looking any way but straight ahead, etc., etc.....

As for the cars, there was definitely a drop in quality. Lots of 10-footers, 20-footers, or cars with a great paint job and a half-finished interior or engine compartment.

The 35-foot motor home with low miles and an extended warranty that sold for $26,000 late Saturday night was a shock. I looked it up later, and it had a $49-59K book value. Sad, but apparently the seller was desperate.

As for the cars, the better quality and better buys seemed to be scattered around the car corral, not at the auction rings.

Joe

I too go to Auburn for the ACD festivities, so Thursday morning is my time to go visit the Kruse auction. My observation was more vendors in the flea market than some previous years. The number and quantity of cars was way off from previous years. The Duesenberg building which used to house the high end classics is now an art fair. The room with the Corvetts was empty.